Slytherins

<<

Lumiere

Albus
Albus

Post December 2nd, 2014, 12:17 am

Re: Slytherins

Pretty_Twisted wrote:
kingirl89 wrote:What about people like Slughorn and Andromeda Tonks who were in Slytherin but were not in any way Death Eathers or evil? They are just two examples that good people can come from Slytherin. So I don't think it is fair to say we aren't really supposed to like them.

Oh, that's right. I forgot about Andromeda. Slughorn.... well, he's a good person but he's a good person with selfish tendencies. But yeah, still good nonetheless because he made all the right choices in the end. Like finally giving away the real memory of the horcrux conversation and choosing to be on the good side, doing everything he could in the fight against Voldemort.
Last edited by Lumiere on December 2nd, 2014, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post December 2nd, 2014, 12:51 am

He did the right thing in the end old Slughorn, so he is one of the good guys in my eyes. He was very Slytherin though, everything we learnt about him seemed very Slytherin. And then there is Andromeda, who we don't know much about, but we know she married a muggle, was on the light side, disowned by her family, but still a Slytherin. So of course I think there are others in the house who are good as well, there has to be.

I think the Slytherin house traits can easily be viewed as "bad" but they aren't inherently bad unless the person is doing the wrong thing, the same can be applied to Gryffindor in my opinion as well, they have strong traits like the Slytherins that can easily be used in a bad way, if that makes sense lol
Thanks to MirkPrince for the siggy
<<

Lumiere

Albus
Albus

Post December 2nd, 2014, 1:22 am

Pretty_Twisted wrote:He did the right thing in the end old Slughorn, so he is one of the good guys in my eyes. He was very Slytherin though, everything we learnt about him seemed very Slytherin.

Yup, he was.

Pretty_Twisted wrote:And then there is Andromeda, who we don't know much about, but we know she married a muggle, was on the light side, disowned by her family, but still a Slytherin. So of course I think there are others in the house who are good as well, there has to be.

Actually, Ted was a muggle-born wizard. But yeah, there should be. :)
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post December 2nd, 2014, 1:33 am

Lumiere wrote:Actually, Ted was a muggle-born wizard. But yeah, there should be.

Oh yeah, I knew that. Just wrote the wrong thing in end I think lol
Thanks to MirkPrince for the siggy
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post March 28th, 2015, 11:06 am

I read on other posts about the Snitch and the Chasers shouldn't exist.
I don't know if anyone has ever read Quidditch Through The Ages but the Snitch came in after the Chasers. Its there because players many many years ago players where hunting a bird called the Snidget and players where hunting and killing it in the game. The Snidget was becoming an endangered species and so the Snitch was created.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

green86

Squib
Squib

Post July 28th, 2015, 2:00 am

Ah, the Slytherins... I'm re-reading OotP, and I still feel the same way about them as I did the first time I read it - I feel sorry for them. Yeah, they are bitchy, but has anyone stopped to wonder why? I mean, we all have motivations behind our behaviour; are the Slytherins rude, or are they trying to stay afloat in a school where the three other houses automatically think they are evil, and degrade them accordingly? I'd probably be the biggest bully in the playground to avoid being the one getting picked on, too. Besides, Slughorn and others have proven they aren't merely a writing device designed to be antagonists to Harry.
"But he's there! Potter's there! Someone grab him!"
Check out my thoughts as I re-read Harry Potter! http://potterette.livejournal.com/
<<

The Librarian

Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall
Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall

Post August 19th, 2015, 9:49 pm

The thing is that there is a valid reason for the distrust against the Slytherins.

When the very founder of the houses was a pure blood supremacist who first wanted to deny all with the wrong blood entry to the school and later went as far as building a secret chamber with a monster to kill them, there are some serious problems with the ideology the house stands for.

Even if that ideology does not stand for every single member of the house, it remains a factor that blood supremacist and bad guys sympathize and chose this house.
It becomes even worse when these bad people becomes the faces outwards for the other houses to see and notice due to the bullying, hatred and discrimination against "inferior" people with the wrong blood. This has been going on for generation on top of generations.

If the Slythrins wants to become a parts of the other three houses, the good members of the house really needs to stand up for what it good about Slytherin. They can't quitely stand behind and let people like Draco and his kind do what they do and then feel sorry for them self when no one likes Slythrin.

With Voldemorts final death and the decline of his views and followers, they really should take the opportunity to cleanse out what had painted the dark clouds of mistrust and fear for Slytherin.
I support canon because I have actually read the books and seen what they feel and whom they love.
<<

Ponder

First Year
First Year

Post December 28th, 2017, 1:13 am

The Librarian wrote:The thing is that there is a valid reason for the distrust against the Slytherins.

When the very founder of the houses was a pure blood supremacist who first wanted to deny all with the wrong blood entry to the school and later went as far as building a secret chamber with a monster to kill them, there are some serious problems with the ideology the house stands for.

Even if that ideology does not stand for every single member of the house, it remains a factor that blood supremacist and bad guys sympathize and chose this house.
It becomes even worse when these bad people becomes the faces outwards for the other houses to see and notice due to the bullying, hatred and discrimination against "inferior" people with the wrong blood. This has been going on for generation on top of generations.

If the Slythrins wants to become a parts of the other three houses, the good members of the house really needs to stand up for what it good about Slytherin. They can't quitely stand behind and let people like Draco and his kind do what they do and then feel sorry for them self when no one likes Slythrin.

With Voldemorts final death and the decline of his views and followers, they really should take the opportunity to cleanse out what had painted the dark clouds of mistrust and fear for Slytherin.

I'm actual always surprised that nobody really tried to ban or at list put Slytherin on hold. Like no student get sorted there for a 100 year, to clean out some if their ideology. Or maybe they were afraid that the ideology wouldn't be cleaned out and only spread to the other houses...
A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been universally established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon or three normal-sized billiard balls.
chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized
~ Terry Pratchett
Previous

Return to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix