FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Harry in the graveyard

<<

EireAbu

Auror
Auror

Post May 12th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Harry in the graveyard

This is my one and only complaint about the books but one that bugs me a lot,it even bugs Lupin.
Harry in the face of death using Expelliarmus.What was he going to do even if he disarmed Voldemort?There was death eaters all around him so he couldn't escape.He had learned a lot of new spells that year for the tournament,surely he could have used one of those.
<<

Serena

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Post May 12th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Re: Harry in the graveyard

well in the face of death, your brain isn't exactly functioning to the best of it's ability :lol:
i suppose he wanted to just not engage at all, thus the use of this spell, which amounted to wishful thinking of course!
<<

EireAbu

Auror
Auror

Post May 12th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Harry crouched behind the headstone and knew the end had come. There was no hope ... no help to be had. And as he heard Voldemort draw nearer still, he knew one thing only, and it was beyond fear or reason: He was not going to die crouching here like a child playing hide-and-seek; he was not going to die kneeling at Voldemort s feet... he was going to die upright like his father, and he was going to die trying to defend himself, even if no defense was possible. . .

If he was going to defend himself there are plenty of more useful spells than that he could have used.
<<

Serena

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Post May 12th, 2014, 5:46 pm

^ okay, (and thanks for the quote. i have not read the books in a long while) but doesn't the idea of wanting to be rid of having to do this feasible? just exploring an option here. sure, he wants to "die upright" & "defend himself" but there is nothing that says that he wouldn't want to not engage anyway.
to be more precise i would say that perhaps there was a part of him that was hoping, no matter what logic was telling him, that maybe just maybe a like, a miracle would happen, which could be why he started out with that kind of spell.

looking it up in the book, i saw something there that kinda says it all:

"at these words, Harry remembered, as through a former life, the dueling club at Hogwarts he had attended briefly two years ago...All he had learned was the disarming spell, "expeliarmus"

so by some means or another, and for whatever reason Harry didn't learn stuff that "could possibly outfit him for this"
seeing then that it would or wouldn't work would have maybe result to a more tactical approach, which considering? ^
which really, what's the point? here he is, which no matter what, he's lacking in many spells trying to fight someone who knows a lot more, and doesn't play by the rules really.

it's desperado through and through. the whole outcome was rather pure luck.
<<

EireAbu

Auror
Auror

Post May 12th, 2014, 6:14 pm

I know what you are saying but it still doesn't make any sense if you know what i mean?He just learned a bunch of new spells practicing with Ron and Hermione for defending himself and attacking in the tournament.I am sure he learned a lot more other spells in DADA during his 4 years there too.He quoted he was going to die trying to defend himself but he never does.All he does is try to disarm Voldemort,you see what i mean?Even Zacharias smith even laughs at him for practicing to use the spell because it would be the last spell you would use trying to defend yourself.
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post May 12th, 2014, 9:01 pm

I think of it like a pitcher in baseball. On the last pitch of a game, a pitcher is very likely to throw his personal best pitch, even if it is not necessarily the best pitch for the situation. If he is going to be beat, he is going to be beat on his best pitch. Harry probably figured his very best spell was- Expelliarmus. Not saying it makes sense. But that may have been the mind set.
>>>Image<<<
>>>>>>>>... the artist formerly known as APWBD1881.<<<<<<<<
<<

Serena

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Post May 13th, 2014, 12:58 pm

@ Kurgan, yea, i do see what you mean :)
it does indeed not make much sense at all...but there it is.

APWBD1881 wrote:I think of it like a pitcher in baseball. On the last pitch of a game, a pitcher is very likely to throw his personal best pitch, even if it is not necessarily the best pitch for the situation. If he is going to be beat, he is going to be beat on his best pitch. Harry probably figured his very best spell was- Expelliarmus. Not saying it makes sense. But that may have been the mind set.

i guess for this matter, it's just butting our heads on the wall! :roll:
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 9th, 2015, 4:30 pm

What is Expelliarmus a useless spell then? Maybe Harry should've just sent sparks from his wand instead then eh?
Zacharias isn't really a likeable character. He is annoying.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

HEXMAN

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 12th, 2015, 7:33 am

I think Harry knew that Voldemort was going to use Avada Kedavera, and as Mad-Eye Moody said in his DADA class there is no known counter curse for that. So, perhaps, Harry could only think of using Expelliarmus as a last resort as Voldemort is trying to attack he thought he would use the best defensive spell he could think of.
<<

Goblet of Fire

First Year
First Year

Post June 8th, 2017, 4:14 am

Let's not forget he endured the torture curse twice, Voldemort forced him to bow and he used the Imperius Curse. Hardly anyone can keep a cool facade in the face of anger so why should Harry be expected to? It doesn't seem fair. He was scared and alone and outnumbered. It makes me feel this is the reason Ron & Hermione grew kind of protective of him in the fifth book and followed Dumbledore's orders much more strictly - they were scared of losing him.
<<

MudbloodRavenclaw

Muggle
Muggle

Post June 16th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Goblet of Fire wrote:Let's not forget he endured the torture curse twice, Voldemort forced him to bow and he used the Imperius Curse. Hardly anyone can keep a cool facade in the face of anger so why should Harry be expected to? It doesn't seem fair. He was scared and alone and outnumbered. It makes me feel this is the reason Ron & Hermione grew kind of protective of him in the fifth book and followed Dumbledore's orders much more strictly - they were scared of losing him.

I'm inclined to agree; he was absolutely scared (and rightfully so) and I can hardly fault him for trying to disarm Voldemort. It seems silly in retrospect, but in the heat of the moment, what else is there to do?
<<

Goblet of Fire

First Year
First Year

Post June 18th, 2017, 4:20 am

Harry describes the feeling in the fifth book perfectly: "When you're a second away from being murdered, there is no chance to make a mistake" or something along those lines, I basically paraphrased that. Voldemort was going to kill Harry and his mind had gone numb from everything he had endured plus he was still injured from the Third Task I believe.
<<

MudbloodRavenclaw

Muggle
Muggle

Post June 21st, 2017, 12:15 am

Goblet of Fire wrote:Harry describes the feeling in the fifth book perfectly: "When you're a second away from being murdered, there is no chance to make a mistake" or something along those lines, I basically paraphrased that. Voldemort was going to kill Harry and his mind had gone numb from everything he had endured plus he was still injured from the Third Task I believe.

Yes! I just reread GoF and Harry badly injured his leg helping Cedric escape from a giant spider in the maze. Harry plainly accepted he was going to die, but says he's not dying lying down—he's going to stand and fight, just like James fought Voldemort. His friend had just been killed, his leg was screaming with pain, and his scar was burning worse than it ever had before. I don't fault Harry for trying something, anything, to stay alive and bring back Cedric's body.
<<

Goblet of Fire

First Year
First Year

Post June 21st, 2017, 10:01 am

I actually cried while reading the graveyard scene - I mean poor Harry suffers so much and in the movie, you can actually literally feel the waves of fear coming off of Dan.

Return to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire