FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What Went Wrong With The Cursed Child?

<<

yupmouthteeth

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 5th, 2016, 3:03 pm

What Went Wrong With The Cursed Child?

A buddy of mine from the states made this review... I feel that he's pretty right on the money. At what point in the screenplay do you feel the story went sour? Is J.K.'s lack of involvement in the writing the reason it's been so disliked by Potter fans? And interestingly, why is the book/play receiving such glowing reviews from the press in certain outlets, while being poorly reviewed by fans?
<<

cursedchildsirius

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 5th, 2016, 10:16 pm

Re: What Went Wrong With The Cursed Child?

Harry is a bad father , a weak wizard and a bully...

Scorpius is the hero.
Also nice video : harry potter book are mystery books wrapped in magic...True ..Your friend is a genius ..God bless him
<<

vandalia

Muggle
Muggle

Post December 13th, 2016, 7:36 pm

One of the reasons the Harry Potter series was successful with adults was that the magic was in a sense realistic. That sounds sort of crazy but what I mean is that the magic was constrained by its own laws. As JKR said, one of the first and most important things she had to do was "decide what the rules are, and what the characters could NOT do."

In Cursed Child, in my opinion, all of that went out the window. If time travel beyond a few minutes is possible, then why didn't they go back and change 1000's of things. The magic in Cursed Child looked way too much like what you see in bad children's books and/or bad movies; time travel, the "trolley lady", etc., etc.
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post December 29th, 2016, 10:23 pm

I liked Cursed Child (it was not an eighth book)
But..

It's a shame Cursed Child instead wasn't a story like Harry and Hermione hook up. No not cheating on Ginny and Ron.
But not a romance novel.
Cursed Child would be how Albus was now eleven years old and his parents have split and he feels cursed.

I originally thought it might have been something like that.

Oh and comical Ron well its a stage play and in the movies Ron was comical.

Go and write your own fanfictions on what happens next to the next gen. Even a house for Hugo.
Name of Cho's muggle husband, if Neville & Hannah had kids.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post January 12th, 2017, 12:53 am

I think the Cursed Child served a purpose. The purpose of JKR finally saying, "What I wrote was great. If I would have altered the story the way others thought I should have, it would not have been as good. If Cedric survived, the Harry Potter world would have been messed up. If someone would have simply used a time turner, the Harry Potter world would have been messed up. If Ron and Hermione didn't get together, both characters, and the Harry Potter world, would have been messed up." Etc, etc.
>>>Image<<<
>>>>>>>>... the artist formerly known as APWBD1881.<<<<<<<<
<<

Rosey678

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Post January 16th, 2017, 4:42 am

Bucko wrote:I think the Cursed Child served a purpose. The purpose of JKR finally saying, "What I wrote was great. If I would have altered the story the way others thought I should have, it would not have been as good. If Cedric survived, the Harry Potter world would have been messed up. If someone would have simply used a time turner, the Harry Potter world would have been messed up. If Ron and Hermione didn't get together, both characters, and the Harry Potter world, would have been messed up." Etc, etc.

Interesting way of looking at it. o.O
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post January 16th, 2017, 3:43 pm

I couldn't help but think this the whole book after the first few chapters. I understand it is a script and not a novel, but even before the changes by the time turner I felt characters were acting completely different from their established personalities, and the story style was so off from what has been established in books, pottermore and even films, that it seemed the story was almost purposely written differently and bad.

But that just may mean that I see the original story as excellently executed and The Cursed Child was just nonsense. I believe I saw an article declaring that JKR said to take the story as canon, but it is so obviously different from the series and does not fit into the canon that I will just forget I ever read it.
>>>Image<<<
>>>>>>>>... the artist formerly known as APWBD1881.<<<<<<<<
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post January 18th, 2017, 12:32 am

Bucko wrote: I believe I saw an article declaring that JKR said to take the story as canon, but it is so obviously different from the series and does not fit into the canon that I will just forget I ever read it.

It's good to have yet another educated opinion to back of my decision to not let CC poison my HP brain. I was worried for a while when Jo said it was all canon.
<<

littlelily515

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 28th, 2017, 3:57 am

Bucko wrote:I think the Cursed Child served a purpose. The purpose of JKR finally saying, "What I wrote was great. If I would have altered the story the way others thought I should have, it would not have been as good. If Cedric survived, the Harry Potter world would have been messed up. If someone would have simply used a time turner, the Harry Potter world would have been messed up. If Ron and Hermione didn't get together, both characters, and the Harry Potter world, would have been messed up." Etc, etc.

I agree with this. There was a reason to the script but none of are taking it too seriously into adding it to the wizarding world. Honestly, I thought that it didn't change much.
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post February 4th, 2017, 5:58 pm

The Cursed Child... Is very different from the other Harry Potter books. Mainly because it revolves around foolish children f*cking things up. It was one of those wince books, you know, when the whole time you're pleading "Please don't do this please don't do this please don't do this..." ...Then the character goes right ahead and does it anyways.
However, I enjoyed it because it provided new insights on otherwise obscure characters, such as Snape and Draco. To me it stood out as a book with a message of "Try a different perspective." It turns a lot of preconceptions on their heads, and I think that's why so many people don't like it. Right when you think you know all of the characters... JKR turns you around and you see a different side of them.
It's a book about understanding people.

However... I will admit that It could have been better. I think there are several reasons for this, namely that the prior Harry Potter books had different editors, when JKR was writing it, and they were probably scrutinized a lot more than this one was, considering that JKR is already famous. I mean, who's going to argue with her? She's the most famous modern writer the world knows. Then there's also Jack Thorne, who wrote the script. I'm sure he's a brilliant writer, but... Respectfully, I think Harry Potter belongs to JKR, and the magic works best for her. Who am I to say though? Of course, JKR wasn't planning on there being more written on the Harry Potter world. She was planning on quitting while she was ahead, which was probably a smart thing to do.
Some parts of it might be a bit messy, but I don't think it's a bad read, on the whole.
Last edited by GellertGPhoenix on February 5th, 2017, 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
(he/she/they)
<<

Khaleesi

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Post February 4th, 2017, 10:59 pm

The Cursed Child went to shit the moment Jack Thorne picked up a pen

<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post February 7th, 2017, 12:18 am

Khaleesi wrote:The Cursed Child went to shit the moment Jack Thorne picked up a pen

I don't think that's entirely fair to Jack Thorne. He's an accomplished writer, and can probably do a lot better than any of us could. Could he have done better with Cursed Child? Probably. The concept in itself was iffy, not so much that he was a bad writer. There were some parts of Cursed Child that worked, and some that didn't. Do we all like JKR's writing better? Yes of course. It's also harder to visualize when you're only reading the script and not viewing the actual play.
(he/she/they)
<<

Khaleesi

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Post February 7th, 2017, 3:40 am

GellertGPhoenix wrote:
Khaleesi wrote:The Cursed Child went to shit the moment Jack Thorne picked up a pen

I don't think that's entirely fair to Jack Thorne. He's an accomplished writer, and can probably do a lot better than any of us could. Could he have done better with Cursed Child? Probably. The concept in itself was iffy, not so much that he was a bad writer. There were some parts of Cursed Child that worked, and some that didn't. Do we all like JKR's writing better? Yes of course. It's also harder to visualize when you're only reading the script and not viewing the actual play.

Never said he had a poor writing style, it's the story's inaccuracy that made me feel like I was reading an Albus/Scorpius fan fiction rather than a legitimate and professional addition to an epic series. If the story was considered canon (which I think was what everyone was hoping to get), then all the characters would probably be dead
He not only changed and warped the characters to fit his fantasy, but picked apart the wizarding world in its entirety and flushed it down the tube

<<

singingbird812

Muggle
Muggle

Post March 2nd, 2017, 9:24 pm

I like your point! I never thought of it that way, but it's a great idea! Maybe now I can appreciate it better! :)
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post March 10th, 2017, 4:14 am

Khaleesi wrote:Never said he had a poor writing style, it's the story's inaccuracy that made me feel like I was reading an Albus/Scorpius fan fiction rather than a legitimate and professional addition to an epic series. If the story was considered canon (which I think was what everyone was hoping to get), then all the characters would probably be dead
He not only changed and warped the characters to fit his fantasy, but picked apart the wizarding world in its entirety and flushed it down the tube

Where is the story inaccurate?
Also, JKR has stated that the play should be considered canon. JKR reviewed everything Jack Thorne wrote. There is nothing in Cursed Child that she does not agree with (or at the very least that she did not agree with at the time.) Therefore it is canon, and accurate.

The part that I like about Cursed Child is that... Well, it does exactly what you say it does. It turns everything upside down. It gives us a new and entirely different perspective. I think that those are fun scenarios to play with. I also second Bucko's earlier comment about it being a way to show why JKR did what she did with the previous books.

Truthfully my feelings towards Cursed Child are somewhat mixed. I think it should be viewed more as a standalone, rather than a part of the series. When I tell my friends about it I tell them, "Lower your expectations, and you'll find it more enjoyable." Which sounds very contradictory, I realize.

Here's the thing. It's not a bad book. It's just simply not on the same level as the prior Harry Potter books, and should therefore be respectively viewed on it's own level. If it was only called "The Cursed Child" then it would hold a lot more popularity, I believe, because people would pick it up not having the slightest idea of what awaited them.

The Cursed Child is a book about people understanding each other. It's not a mystery, not a thriller. If you cut out all magic from it, you have a father struggling to understand his teenage son, and a two teenage boys trying to understand each other and themselves. You have other characters opening up an new side of themselves, in the right circumstances.

People find it like a fanfiction, because it follows the fanfiction motto:
In the right time and place and circumstance, anything can happen.
(he/she/they)
<<

Kharina

Squib
Squib

Post May 21st, 2017, 8:34 pm

In one word:

Voldemort.

In two words:

Time Travel.

I think the main problem with Cursed Child was that it didn't really take the world of Harry Potter forward (apart from in terms of characterisation and relationships for some characters, which did move forward, but the plot really didn't). It was very backward-looking, and the time travel is only part of that problem, albeit a major one. A major issue for me was that Voldemort is STILL the main bad guy. He's dead. Other evil people exist. Some of them are still around. Why does the main threat still have to come from him? Why does the other 'big bad' (who is a pretty weak villain) have to be his daughter? This meant the plot had to be time-travelley, which causes a lot of problems as everything that happens gets wiped clean and runs into paradoxes. If Delphi was a villain in her own right trying to hurt Albus to get to Harry, or trying to develop her own following to take over the wizarding world like Voldemort did, I would have liked it a lot better. Or even if there was some embittered Muggle-born who was put in Azkaban as a child in the war and is now an adult trying to get at people with a pureblood or Death Eater connection who goes after Scorpius and Albus tries to find his friend... anything where we actually have a new villain. It could still be a knock on effect of Voldemort (Delphi could even be his child, and turn evil because of her upbringing just like she does, but just be trying to kill people in revenge for his death) but to try and shoehorn him back in as the main threat just didn't work for me at all.

I loved the new characters, though I wish Rose and James had had more development. I liked the development of existing characters. I liked the subplot of Harry and Albus' relationship, though I felt it needed more time devoting to it. I just didn't like the main plot.
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post July 4th, 2017, 9:04 pm

1) Voldemort is out of character

2) Ron is just a funny guy and nothing else

3) Lots of meaningless talk

4) Unnecessary cameos just to show us some HP characters

5) I like time travel but it is really out of concept for Harry Potter. Even in Prisoner of Azkaban, time-travel was sub-plot.

6) Time travel in Harry Potter world depends on causality effect. It happens because it happened before (e.g. Harry did the great Patronus because he knew he did that. He didn't change anything actually.) This story just ignored that fact and rewrite the time travel concept.

7) Cedric is out of character

8) Voldemort Day rubbish.

9) Disgraceful Albus

10) Repeating again but Voldemort is really really out of character. He cannot have a child, impossible.
<<

Pensieve Seeker

Squib
Squib

Post July 16th, 2017, 7:59 pm

MarsUltor wrote:10) Repeating again but Voldemort is really really out of character. He cannot have a child, impossible.

Why? Did he have a vasectomy?
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post July 17th, 2017, 9:21 am

Voldemort would never want a heir. As we saw him in books a lot of times, he only thinks of himself and nothing else. Is he a kind to be a father to a child?

Also we never saw he was sexually attracted to women, or anything else basically.
<<

Pensieve Seeker

Squib
Squib

Post July 17th, 2017, 6:08 pm

MarsUltor wrote:Voldemort would never want a heir. As we saw him in books a lot of times, he only thinks of himself and nothing else. Is he a kind to be a father to a child?

Also we never saw he was sexually attracted to women, or anything else basically.

Did Voldemort have a vasectomy, yes or no?
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post July 17th, 2017, 7:44 pm

He may not have a dick anyway, he didn't have nostrils.

Return to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child