FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

The Maurader's Map.

<<

Celestina Black

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post August 28th, 2014, 9:03 pm

The Maurader's Map.

I'm curious as to how Fred & George knew how to make it work since they took it from Filch's drawer.

Image Image

"You are my son, from tip to tail." - JR Ewing; Dallas
<<

zartacla

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 28th, 2014, 10:07 pm

Re: The Maurader's Map.

I read somewhere that maybe they had tried different words, and when it was correct, the map tell them, and in the end they just needed the correct order of words- I'm not sure if it is correct or not, official or not.

Anyway, in my opinion there could be more than one answer, I have a theory, too:

The map could have revealed itself, it is a magical object, and seemed very intelligent to me, in book 3(?) it was rude with Snape when he tried to bruteforce open it, but this also could be that since the marauders and Snape attended Hogwarts the same years, they made it up for him, lovely, isn't it? Or it was clever the way Riddle's diary was clever, not a horcrux, but somehow the creators managed to give a tiny bit of their personalities to it, I don't really know. Also the map had helped Harry about how to open the secret lair to Hogsmeade (Diffindo spell), so it might have sensed the user/owner, and that the Weasley twins were similar to them in terms of discovering and having fun, making jokes for good, and simply revealed itself.
<<

raclle

Auror
Auror

Post August 28th, 2014, 11:11 pm

I found this on another site:
MA: How did they figure out how to work the map?

JKR: Don't you - well. This is how I explained it to myself at the time, and this does sound glib. Don't you think it would be quite a Fred and Georgeish thing to say in jest, and then see this thing transform?

MA: Yeah.

JKR: Can't you just see them?

ES: But the exact word combination? Is that just a lot of luck, or Felix Felicis -

JKR: Or, the map helped.

MA: Yep, yeah. You can see them sort of answering and joking with each other -

JKR: And the map flickering into life here and there when they got closer and closer, and finally they hit upon the exact right word combination and it just erupts.
<<

Celestina Black

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post August 29th, 2014, 12:02 am

I had thought of that too, that the map maybe saw them trying to use it for it's correct purpose so it revealed it's secrets for them.

Image Image

<<

Lumiere

Albus
Albus

Post August 29th, 2014, 6:37 am

kurgan wrote:JKR: Don't you - well. This is how I explained it to myself at the time, and this does sound glib. Don't you think it would be quite a Fred and Georgeish thing to say in jest, and then see this thing transform?

I thought about this at some point. :)
<<

Celestina Black

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post August 29th, 2014, 8:31 pm

I brought this topic up with friends yesterday & one said he believes that the map insulted Fred & George, as it had Snape, & the twins just insulted it back. This went on for some time until the map realize they were just like Moony, Padfoot, Prongs, & Wormtail so the map revealed itself then.

Image Image

<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post September 1st, 2014, 12:36 am

Celestina Black wrote:I brought this topic up with friends yesterday & one said he believes that the map insulted Fred & George, as it had Snape, & the twins just insulted it back. This went on for some time until the map realize they were just like Moony, Padfoot, Prongs, & Wormtail so the map revealed itself then.

Yeah I assumed it was something like that as well. Magical map responding and giving them little hints when they realized what it is was going to be used for or something like that and then finally they got the right combination of words.
Thanks to MirkPrince for the siggy
<<

Ponder

Squib
Squib

Post May 29th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Pretty_Twisted wrote:
Celestina Black wrote:I brought this topic up with friends yesterday & one said he believes that the map insulted Fred & George, as it had Snape, & the twins just insulted it back. This went on for some time until the map realize they were just like Moony, Padfoot, Prongs, & Wormtail so the map revealed itself then.

Yeah I assumed it was something like that as well. Magical map responding and giving them little hints when they realized what it is was going to be used for or something like that and then finally they got the right combination of words.

I like the idea, that the map was first testing them before helping them.
A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been universally established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon or three normal-sized billiard balls.
chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized
~ Terry Pratchett
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post July 5th, 2016, 9:46 pm

I always felt like the Map instantly recognized Fred and George as fellow "Marauders." So instead of insulting them like it did to Snape, it began a conversation with them and led them to saying the correct words. I figured the conversation would go something like this:

George [to Fred]: Of everything in the drawer you could have nicked, why did you grab this thing?
Fred: I don't know, I just reached in the drawer and this is what came out. it's not like I had time to peruse the drawer and examine our options.
George: Well I don't know how this is going to turn out to be 'highly dangerous' at all. Now I know Filch is off his rocker, confiscating this piece of rubbish.
Map [writes]: Padfoot, do you hear that? You're a piece of rubbish. Prongs, they obviously just got lucky finding us, probably not worth our time. But guys, they were in trouble in Filch's office, maybe we should see if they are worth it, what do you think Moony? Wormtail may have a point, I imagine any enemy of Filch's is a friend of ours.
George: What in Merlin's wet pants is going on here?
Map: Okay Moony, we can at least ask, what were you two doing in Filch's office?
Fred: A little misunderstanding between us and Filch, turns out he means it when he says 'no dungbombs.'
George: Yes, and apparently you can't fix one dungbomb by letting off a second dungbomb.
Fred: But you can distract Filch long enough to look through his desk.
Map: Hmm, Padfoot, sounds like they could be friends of ours. Prongs, yeah, they sound like they are troublemakers.
George: Toublemakers? We prefer professional entertainment seekers.
Fred: And amateur toilet seat demolitioners.
Map: 'Toilet seat demolitioners?' Okay, these guys are the type we can help.
Fred: Help how?
Map: Well, it depends what you want to get up to?
George: What do you mean?
Map: Let's put it this way, if you are up to no good, we can help you. If you are following the rules, we can't.
Fred: We don't have much use for rules.
Map: So you are up to no good?
George: Yes.
Map: Right now?
Fred: We are always up to no good.
Map: Do you swear it?
George: Yes!
Map: We don't know if we believe you.
Fred: We swear we are up to no good.
Map: This is a solemn oath you two need to take, and you can only speak for yourself.
Fred and George [in unison]: I swear I am up to no good.
Map: But do you solemnly swear it?
Fred and George [in unison]: I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
Map: Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs, Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers, are proud to present, THE MARAUDER'S MAP.

I'm no writer, but put whatever jazz you want on that and that is how I saw it going down.
>>>Image<<<
>>>>>>>>... the artist formerly known as APWBD1881.<<<<<<<<
<<

LibrarianInTraining

Squib
Squib

Post July 7th, 2016, 3:35 am

Bucko wrote:I always felt like the Map instantly recognized Fred and George as fellow "Marauders." So instead of insulting them like it did to Snape, it began a conversation with them and led them to saying the correct words. I figured the conversation would go something like this:

George [to Fred]: Of everything in the drawer you could have nicked, why did you grab this thing?
Fred: I don't know, I just reached in the drawer and this is what came out. it's not like I had time to peruse the drawer and examine our options.
George: Well I don't know how this is going to turn out to be 'highly dangerous' at all. Now I know Filch is off his rocker, confiscating this piece of rubbish.
Map [writes]: Padfoot, do you hear that? You're a piece of rubbish. Prongs, they obviously just got lucky finding us, probably not worth our time. But guys, they were in trouble in Filch's office, maybe we should see if they are worth it, what do you think Moony? Wormtail may have a point, I imagine any enemy of Filch's is a friend of ours.
Map: Okay Moony, we can at least ask, what were you two doing in Filch's office?
Fred: A little misunderstanding between us and Filch, turns out he means it when he says 'no dungbombs.'
George: Yes, and apparently you can't fix one dungbomb by letting off a second dungbomb.
Map: Hmm, Padfoot, sounds like they could be friends of ours. Prongs, yeah, they sound like they are troublemakers.
Map: Let's put it this way, if you are up to no good, we can help you. If you are following the rules, we can't.
Map: This is a solemn oath you two need to take, and you can only speak for yourself.
Map: Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs, Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers, are proud to present, THE MARAUDER'S MAP.

I'm no writer, but put whatever jazz you want on that and that is how I saw it going down.

That's nothing short of brilliant.
<<

Monox D. I-Fly

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post January 7th, 2017, 5:24 am

Bucko wrote:I always felt like the Map instantly recognized Fred and George as fellow "Marauders." So instead of insulting them like it did to Snape, it began a conversation with them and led them to saying the correct words. I figured the conversation would go something like this:

If it went like that, I'm sure that Draco Malfoy would also be able to use it.
The Most Legendary Anti-Hero in Literature History
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post January 7th, 2017, 6:22 am

I wonder if the map would have recognized Draco as a person not on par with the Marauder's beliefs, and treated him more like the Map treated Snape.
>>>Image<<<
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post January 7th, 2017, 6:51 am

How sentient was the map? Though it didn't have a piece of soul in it ala Tommy's diary it definitely seemed to have the "soul" of the Marauders based on the responses we saw it give. But was it a sort of key word response, ie anything with Snape in it equals insults or.... ?
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post January 7th, 2017, 7:00 am

I think that with magic, especially in the case of portraits and I believe the Map, when something is created it can be imbibed with the personality and beliefs of a certain subject. And I think that the extreme power of the Castle, which is sentient within itself amplifies the magic within it. So I have a theory that portraits in the Castle are more realistic than portraits out of the Castle, which may act a little more like magical photographs. And I think the Map, a Map of the Castle itself, would be a little more juiced than other magical creations, and more in-tuned with its creators ideals.
>>>Image<<<
<<

MudbloodRavenclaw

Muggle
Muggle

Post June 2nd, 2017, 7:49 pm

I had always figured a map of such a mischievous nature would take a liking to the Weasley twins and help them along a bit, telling them what words were correct and what words were not.

Just an idea, but if the map could choose anyone in Hogwarts, it would absolutely be Fred and George.

Return to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban