FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sirius Giving Harry Permission to go to Hogsmeade

<<

Celestina Black

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post August 27th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Sirius Giving Harry Permission to go to Hogsmeade

I was a little surprised that they just let it go when Harry turned up with his Hogsmeade form signed by his Godfather Sirius. I know that people like Dumbledore knew he was innocence, but it still made me raise an eyebrow that it was okay since he was now on the run. It's like where did Harry meet Srirus to get this form signed? Is there I something I'm missing?

Image Image

"You are my son, from tip to tail." - JR Ewing; Dallas
<<

World Engine

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post August 27th, 2014, 6:27 pm

Re: Sirius Giving Harry Permission to go to Hogsmeade

I think it implies that Dumbledore is the one that gives students permission to leave the castle grounds and he would, of course, not have a problem with Sirius' consent. Even if he were not the teacher to deal with Hogsmeade permissions, he would probably point out that, technically, the fact that Sirius is on the run and supposedly after Harry has nothing to do with the fact that permission was given from a legal guardian. The only way that Hogsmeade slip would become defunct is if the Ministry reviewed Harry's birth documents and declared Sirius an unfit parent/guardian for Harry Potter and then they'd have to prove that Sirius was unfit at the time of signing the permission form. All a bit tedious and bureaucratic just to stop Harry from buying Cockroach Clusters at Honeydukes, don't you think? And besides, Dumbledore wasn't going to tell the Ministry about any of it anyway as he probably feels it has nothing to do with them. Dumbledore seems to have always been of the opinion that the Headmaster has the final word at Hogwarts.
<<

raclle

Auror
Auror

Post August 27th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Nope i thought the same thing.This surprises me more though, Quote Sirius: "Crookshanks took the order to the Owl Office for me. I used your name but told them to take the gold from my own Gringotts vault." And Gringotts is meant to be the safest place in the world to keep anything???
<<

Celestina Black

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post August 27th, 2014, 7:02 pm

World Engine wrote:I think it implies that Dumbledore is the one that gives students permission to leave the castle grounds and he would, of course, not have a problem with Sirius' consent. Even if he were not the teacher to deal with Hogsmeade permissions, he would probably point out that, technically, the fact that Sirius is on the run and supposedly after Harry has nothing to do with the fact that permission was given from a legal guardian. The only way that Hogsmeade slip would become defunct is if the Ministry reviewed Harry's birth documents and declared Sirius an unfit parent/guardian for Harry Potter and then they'd have to prove that Sirius was unfit at the time of signing the permission form. All a bit tedious and bureaucratic just to stop Harry from buying Cockroach Clusters at Honeydukes, don't you think? And besides, Dumbledore wasn't going to tell the Ministry about any of it anyway as he probably feels it has nothing to do with them. Dumbledore seems to have always been of the opinion that the Headmaster has the final word at Hogwarts.

I totally understand what you're saying & that's why I was contemplating posting this. I figured that Dumbledore was the one was in charge of the slips, & Harry probably gave it to him personally.

kurgan wrote:Nope i thought the same thing.This surprises me more though, Quote Sirius: "Crookshanks took the order to the Owl Office for me. I used your name but told them to take the gold from my own Gringotts vault." And Gringotts is meant to be the safest place in the world to keep anything???

This made me question things as well. I was laughing at the fact that a cat got gold from someone's vault, until my boyfriend informed me that Crookshanks was half-Kneazle. Also, the Goblins saw Sirius was giving permission so they let it go.
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Crookshanks

Image Image

<<

AlbusQ

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 27th, 2014, 7:42 pm

As previously stated I know that Dumbledore knew Sirius was innocent so it was in his power to accept his signature on the letter. No real mystery there to me.

The Goblins 'don't take sides' (paraphrased) so it would be relatively easy for Sirius to send Crookshanks to Gringotts and have the gold taken out so long as he knew the correct protocols. My supposition is that, in order to get into his vault, he either had a code phrase or a key that he could have sent along with Crookshanks that the goblins would recognize and accept.
<<

raclle

Auror
Auror

Post August 27th, 2014, 8:17 pm

This is just getting more weird. How did Crookshanks get to Gringotts? Why would he go back to Hogsmeade to the owl office if Quidditch supplies are in Diagon Alley. Couldn't he have just gone into the Quidditch shop and given the order there. I find it funny a cat walking around Diagon Alley with a big bag of gold and the place full of thieves,even getting back to Hogsmeade with the gold without being robbed.

What i thought first after reading this scene was that Crookshanks went into the owl office,the witch/wizard working there took the order and sent an owl to Gringotts with Sirius vault key.
<<

World Engine

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post August 27th, 2014, 8:43 pm

"So let me get this right, Mr. Cat," said the Gringotts Goblin, peering at Crookshanks over his spectacles, "are you telling me that Sirius Black, the vicious and dastardly criminal, the Sirius Black who has broken out of Azkaban and is currently the most wanted fugitive in the world, that very same Sirius Black," his beady eyes narrowed, "wants to take out some money from his account but put it down on the books as having been taken out of Harry Potter's in order to purchase a broomstick?" Crookshanks shrugged.
"And if I were to go straight to the Ministry's Aurors with this?"
Crookshanks shrugged again. The Goblin scrutinised the bow-legged cat for a long moment but eventually nodded and stamped a seal onto a piece of parchment.
"Fair enough. Next."
<<

Celestina Black

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post August 27th, 2014, 9:37 pm

World Engine wrote:"So let me get this right, Mr. Cat," said the Gringotts Goblin, peering at Crookshanks over his spectacles, "are you telling me that Sirius Black, the vicious and dastardly criminal, the Sirius Black who has broken out of Azkaban and is currently the most wanted fugitive in the world, that very same Sirius Black," his beady eyes narrowed, "wants to take out some money from his account but put it down on the books as having been taken out of Harry Potter's in order to purchase a broomstick?" Crookshanks shrugged.
"And if I were to go straight to the Ministry's Aurors with this?"
Crookshanks shrugged again. The Goblin scrutinised the bow-legged cat for a long moment but eventually nodded and stamped a seal onto a piece of parchment.
"Fair enough. Next."

Lol I totally agree with you. I just can't understand how if Sirius was a "criminal" & at this point on the run, why would they offer him gold. Wouldn't they capture Crookshanks & try to find him? Well, I guess to goes back to Albus saying that the Goblins really don't care if the Ministry is looking for Sirius, as long as the cat has everything needed to get into the vault. I guess this is something we're just going to have to accept lol. I appreciate everyone's opinions though.

Image Image

<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post August 29th, 2014, 1:52 am

I just imagined that the order form just asks for the vault number and since it had Harry's name there was no questions asked. What wizard would know the vault numbers of Harry Potter or Sirius Black? Since the goblins tend to keep out of wizarding affairs, they just made the transaction and did not ask questions.
>>>Image<<<
>>>>>>>>... the artist formerly known as APWBD1881.<<<<<<<<
<<

Celestina Black

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post August 29th, 2014, 2:25 am

APWBD1881 wrote:I just imagined that the order form just asks for the vault number and since it had Harry's name there was no questions asked. What wizard would know the vault numbers of Harry Potter or Sirius Black? Since the goblins tend to keep out of wizarding affairs, they just made the transaction and did not ask questions.

Ooh, that's a VERY good one! I never thought about, but I REALLY like that idea.

Image Image

<<

World Engine

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post August 29th, 2014, 4:29 am

APWBD1881 wrote:I just imagined that the order form just asks for the vault number and since it had Harry's name there was no questions asked. What wizard would know the vault numbers of Harry Potter or Sirius Black? Since the goblins tend to keep out of wizarding affairs, they just made the transaction and did not ask questions.

Didn't Hagrid pull out a vault key for Harry in the Philosopher's Stone? That would imply that every regular vault would require a key to open. I expect even with an postal transaction there would be some form of identification required. The same way we would have a credit/debit card number but also a pin number. You'd think Gringotts being "the safest place in the world except for Hogwarts" there'd be better security. And besides, at that point no one but Sirius, Pettigrew and Voldemort knew that Sirius was innocent. Where would Sirius get Harry's vault number from? Considering these are Wizards and Witches, you'd think they'd have better forms of protection than we would. They have all sorts of things that criminals could use to illegally obtain sensitive information or keys (Polyjuice Potion, Accio etc) so it stands to reason that Gringotts security would be quite stringent.
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 22nd, 2017, 9:43 pm

Crookshanks isn't just an ordinary pet cat.
He knew who Scabbers really was straight away when Harry and Ron saw Crookshanks.
He knew how to enter the Whomping Willow.

These are fantasy books
Even the snails are different. Giant poisonous.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 23rd, 2017, 2:05 am

kingirl89 wrote:Even the snails are different. Giant poisonous.

there actually are poisonous snails.....
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post August 13th, 2017, 7:56 pm

I'm thinking back to the ones on the video games.
I remember one on PlayStation Philosopher's Stone game, you had to cast Flipendo or something.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post October 26th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Maybe since it was a Goblin...he didnt care.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.

Return to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban