FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Lupin on the Hogwarts Express...

<<

Mrs. Kennedy

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 11th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Lupin on the Hogwarts Express...

I've always wondered why Lupin traveled on the Hogwarts Express with the students to teach at the school, instead of simply evaporating beyond the Hogwarts' grounds?
As it is the only adult we ever see do this (besides the Trolley witch and Slughorn), I'm curious as to his reasons. Nostalgia? Did he wish to relive some fond memories from school with his friends? Perhaps he was secretly hoping to catch a glimpse of James' son? We know Slughorn was certainly there to start to get to know Harry, as well as a few select others.
Perhaps it wasn't even Lupin's suggestion, but Dumbledore asked him to do it as a security precaution for when the Dementor's searched the train?

Sorry if this has been touched on before :oops:
<<

Serena

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Post May 11th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Re: Lupin on the Hogwarts Express...

well i would lean in more to the idea that Dumbledore placed him there for precautionary reasons. it could not be to meet harry right on, (how could he know) but as someone to lend a hand in case? yea.

and maybe (thinking about this), he was feeling too ill to apparate? he was sleeping most for the entire ride.

another reason, is simply because Rowling wanted to introduce the character to us.
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post May 12th, 2014, 4:40 am

I had assumed it was a full moon the night before he was due to go to Hogwarts and that meant he was too ill and weak and sore to apparate straight there. But that was just my thoughts on it. Who knows.
Thanks to MirkPrince for the siggy
<<

Mrs. Kennedy

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 12th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Serena wrote:well i would lean in more to the idea that Dumbledore placed him there for precautionary reasons. it could not be to meet harry right on, (how could he know) but as someone to lend a hand in case? yea.

Why wouldn't he know? He knows Harry is Hogwart's age by now, so why wouldn't he be on the train?

Serena wrote:and maybe (thinking about this), he was feeling too ill to apparate? he was sleeping most for the entire ride.

That's an interesting point! Apparating does probably require a lot of physical strenght, so if Lupin was indeed unwell perhaps he would prefer the train for that reason. However, at the end of the tragic events of this book he is clearly capable of leaving Hogwarts in some other way of transportation, which is likely apparation. This was despite his poor condition because of the full moon the night before.

Serena wrote:another reason, is simply because Rowling wanted to introduce the character to us.

Well, that's just no fun, is it? :wink:

Pretty_Twisted wrote:I had assumed it was a full moon the night before he was due to go to Hogwarts and that meant he was too ill and weak and sore to apparate straight there. But that was just my thoughts on it. Who knows.

As I said before, I do think this is a plausible reason. However, I'm not entirely convinced. I would think riding a train with a bunch of teenagers for several hours would be more exhausting than just gathering all his strength for a few seconds and apparating to Hogwarts directly.
I'm probably leaning more in the direction of nostalgia. He probably misses the great years at Hogwarts with his three brilliant friends, and how care-free and oblivious he could be back then. Now, all of his friends are out of his life for different, tragic reasons, and up until recently when Dumbledore hired him, he had pretty much been unemployed for a long time. Of course he would want to ride the Hogwarts Express one last time after all of this time - it reminds him of a better time.
I would love if someone were to disagree, though :wink:
<<

dreamer_x

Tenth Doctor's Best Companion
Tenth Doctor's Best Companion

Post May 12th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Evaporate Oh god sorry but that just killed me :')

According to the description in the book, he looked quite weak and frail, so maybe he just wasn't up to it? I looked it up on HP Wiki but it doesn't state why he would have boarded it, only that he did.
<<

Serena

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Post May 12th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Mrs. Kennedy wrote:
Serena wrote:well i would lean in more to the idea that Dumbledore placed him there for precautionary reasons. it could not be to meet harry right on, (how could he know) but as someone to lend a hand in case? yea.

Why wouldn't he know? He knows Harry is Hogwart's age by now, so why wouldn't he be on the train?

yea, sorry i didn't explain myself well, but i was thinking about the fact that Lupin could not know where Harry would be seated on the train.

Mrs. Kennedy wrote:
Serena wrote:another reason, is simply because Rowling wanted to introduce the character to us.

Well, that's just no fun, is it? :wink:

:lol: i agree!

Mrs. Kennedy wrote:
Pretty_Twisted wrote:I had assumed it was a full moon the night before he was due to go to Hogwarts and that meant he was too ill and weak and sore to apparate straight there. But that was just my thoughts on it. Who knows.

As I said before, I do think this is a plausible reason. However, I'm not entirely convinced. I would think riding a train with a bunch of teenagers for several hours would be more exhausting than just gathering all his strength for a few seconds and apparating to Hogwarts directly.
I'm probably leaning more in the direction of nostalgia. He probably misses the great years at Hogwarts with his three brilliant friends, and how care-free and oblivious he could be back then. Now, all of his friends are out of his life for different, tragic reasons, and up until recently when Dumbledore hired him, he had pretty much been unemployed for a long time. Of course he would want to ride the Hogwarts Express one last time after all of this time - it reminds him of a better time.
I would love if someone were to disagree, though :wink:

i've heard about this theory, and i wouldn't ditch it, so i won't argue the point :wink:

dreamer_x wrote:Evaporate Oh god sorry but that just killed me :')

According to the description in the book, he looked quite weak and frail, so maybe he just wasn't up to it? I looked it up on HP Wiki but it doesn't state why he would have boarded it, only that he did.

:lol:

well see that's the problem: not enough info! it's all speculation at this point, and also what each individual feels or thinks it could be.
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post May 13th, 2014, 2:25 am

I think it is safe to say we will never really know the reason why, but I don't think he would be asleep if he went on board to feel all nostalgic, one would think he would want to stay awake.

Maybe Dumbledore told him to go on the train because Sirius Black was on the loose and probably after Harry (since we al thought that at the time) and wanted Lupin there just in case. It was just luck that Harry and his mates sat in the same compartment.
<<

hayden_potter

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post May 13th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Maybe Dumbledore was expecting a Dementor Inspection on the train and wanted Lupin there to protect the students...
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post May 13th, 2014, 11:41 pm

It is plausible, they were looking our for Sirius after all.

So we have a few theories, now who wants to contact JKR and ask her? lol .... Because I would actually really like to know.
<<

Nynaeve

Jennifer
Jennifer

Post May 14th, 2014, 12:50 am

I wonder if this is explained on Pottermore. Imma go have a look. brb

EDIT: Pottermore didn't give any info. :(
Thanks Naz
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post May 14th, 2014, 3:28 am

Jayfer wrote:I wonder if this is explained on Pottermore. Imma go have a look. brb

:( I have tried multiple sources, can't find anything except a lot of speculation, kind of like what we are doing now.
<<

Serena

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Post May 14th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Pretty_Twisted wrote:
Jayfer wrote:I wonder if this is explained on Pottermore. Imma go have a look. brb

:( I have tried multiple sources, can't find anything except a lot of speculation, kind of like what we are doing now.

same here, pple definitely asked multiple times, but it's all speculation. i didn't check out much though, just yahoo answers and wikis.
<<

hayden_potter

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post May 15th, 2014, 4:08 am

Maybe it's required that there be a certain number of teachers travel with the students on the train to keep them under control. I wouldn't trust a trainload of teenagers completely unsupervised.

We know that Lupin and Slughorn travelled on the train. Maybe they're the only ones that Harry and co noticed...
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post May 15th, 2014, 6:35 am

hayden_potter wrote:Maybe it's required that there be a certain number of teachers travel with the students on the train to keep them under control. I wouldn't trust a trainload of teenagers completely unsupervised.

We know that Lupin and Slughorn travelled on the train. Maybe they're the only ones that Harry and co noticed...

That is entirely possible as well.

See too many theories and no answers. Haha.
<<

user224

First Year
First Year

Post May 31st, 2014, 7:46 am

Possibly some teachers are in the prefect carriage but Harry doesn't know that because he wasn't one.
<<

AurorMarkonn

First Year
First Year

Post October 22nd, 2014, 10:32 am

I did always think it was because of a) Sirius being on the run and b) the dementors... all of the other theories here are also plausible though and with no authority here to confirm it, it'll remain down to speculation and personal preference.
<<

Monox D. I-Fly

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post January 5th, 2017, 3:08 pm

As an education faculty graduate, my best guess is that Lupin wanted to know how his would-be students (not necessarily Harry) were like. It's his first time teaching, wasn't it? Given that Lupin is one of the most polite Hogwarts teachers, that would be reasonable to know about his students a bit.
The Most Legendary Anti-Hero in Literature History
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post January 6th, 2017, 12:52 am

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:As an education faculty graduate, my best guess is that Lupin wanted to know how his would-be students (not necessarily Harry) were like. It's his first time teaching, wasn't it? Given that Lupin is one of the most polite Hogwarts teachers, that would be reasonable to know about his students a bit.

How would sleeping in an empty car let him get to know his students?
<<

Monox D. I-Fly

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post January 6th, 2017, 11:47 pm

Grrarrggh wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:As an education faculty graduate, my best guess is that Lupin wanted to know how his would-be students (not necessarily Harry) were like. It's his first time teaching, wasn't it? Given that Lupin is one of the most polite Hogwarts teachers, that would be reasonable to know about his students a bit.

How would sleeping in an empty car let him get to know his students?

Maybe he just wanted to look a glance at them, then fell asleep due to exhaustion.
The Most Legendary Anti-Hero in Literature History
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post January 7th, 2017, 12:59 am

-Perhaps he was that excited to see his best friend's son that he decided to take the train to get an earlier glance.
-Maybe Dumbledore had a sense that something could happen on the train with dementors or Sirius Black so he asked Lupin to take the train. Any other professor would have thrown up a warning to the students since other professors were known not to take the train.
-Maybe it was just after the full moon and after the transformation werewolves lose control of some of their abilities, so Lupin preferred to take a non-magical route to Hogwarts.
-It could be that Lupin wanted to experience the Hogwarts Express one more time, possibly a train full of fond memories to him.
-Maybe as a Marauder he had a dream of one day being a professor and being the cool professor that rides the train in.

I think there are a lot of plausible explanations to him being on the train.
>>>Image<<<
>>>>>>>>... the artist formerly known as APWBD1881.<<<<<<<<
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post January 9th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Bucko wrote:-Maybe Dumbledore had a sense that something could happen on the train with dementors or Sirius Black so he asked Lupin to take the train. Any other professor would have thrown up a warning to the students since other professors were known not to take the train.

I like this idea. Lupin knew Sirius better than any other living person, and this would've been Sirius' last chance to attack Harry (which, of course, everyone suspected) before he was under Hogwarts protection.
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post May 16th, 2017, 11:19 pm

Remember that in this book, Harry is pretty much being looked after 24-7... I imagine that Dumbledore placed Lupin there, to make sure that Harry arrived safely. It could also be nostalgia, but this seems far more likely in the given circumstances...
(he/she/they)
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post May 17th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Bit of both probably.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post May 18th, 2017, 3:54 am

The Fifth Marauder wrote:I like this idea. Lupin knew Sirius better than any other living person, and this would've been Sirius' last chance to attack Harry (which, of course, everyone suspected) before he was under Hogwarts protection.

That's a good point, that Lupin did know Sirius... and therefore might know how to combat him. I hadn't thought of that. It could also be that Lupin chose the post for this reason... Perhaps a teacher was needed on the train, and Lupin volunteered, for the other various reasons listed...
(he/she/they)
<<

starfinch

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 18th, 2017, 4:47 am

I like the idea of Lupin riding the train for nostalgia reasons. He may have been too ill to Apparate, but I don't see why he couldn't have traveled by Floo powder, and if he was on the train as a precautionary measure, I don't think he would have been irresponsible enough to fall asleep.
Next

Return to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban