FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Lockheart's Lies

<<

Savannahs2012

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post June 29th, 2011, 11:36 pm

Lockheart's Lies

I have a question that i hope someone on here can help me with. We all know that Lockheart was a liar and claimed that he did all of those great things in his books when really it was other wizards. Lockheart didn't really do those things...so how could he have told Professor Sprout how to fix up the whomping willow tree? I know its just a little detail...but i was just seeing if it was a detail that J.K might have missed. I just want other peoples input.
-Savannah
*~*Reading: Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire-2nd time*~*
<<

GinnyX

Mrs. George Weasley
Mrs. George Weasley

Post June 30th, 2011, 12:42 am

Re: Lockheart's Lies

Savannahs2012 wrote:I have a question that i hope someone on here can help me with. We all know that Lockheart was a liar and claimed that he did all of those great things in his books when really it was other wizards. Lockheart didn't really do those things...so how could he have told Professor Sprout how to fix up the whomping willow tree? I know its just a little detail...but i was just seeing if it was a detail that J.K might have missed. I just want other peoples input.
-Savannah

I don't think he told her anything that she didn't already know. And he probably gave her bad or wrong advice that she ignored, anyway.
I look at it like WebMD. People go on there and diagnose themselves. The next day they start telling the doctor what is wrong with them and what to do lol. I can totally see Lockhart looking something up in a book really quickly and start randomly improvising details and mixing in fake stories, "This one time when I had to repair a whomping willow tree in Wales..."
<<

Shiggidabop

First Year
First Year

Post June 30th, 2011, 6:22 am

I think the fact that dumbeldore hired him and quirrel as a teacher is a bigger question. so wise yet so blind to things, all part of the plan? i unno....
<<

Savannahs2012

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post June 30th, 2011, 7:31 pm

^Thank you! :)
*~*Reading: Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire-2nd time*~*
<<

GinnyX

Mrs. George Weasley
Mrs. George Weasley

Post June 30th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Shiggidabop wrote:I think the fact that dumbeldore hired him and quirrel as a teacher is a bigger question. so wise yet so blind to things, all part of the plan? i unno....

What do you mean?
<<

Shiggidabop

First Year
First Year

Post June 30th, 2011, 8:34 pm

I just think Dumbeldore is built up to be so powerful and so wise, which I believe. Yet, he allowed voldermort on the back of Quirrel's head into the castle. He allowed lockheart, who is pretty much a liar of his accomplishments for publicity, to be 2nd DADA teacher. Just not safe, wise choices if he knew that something was up with the teachers. Honestly it's kind of sad there was such a difficulty feeling that position, poor snape lol.

Yet, it also seems like the first few books DD knew Harry was off doing this and that, and just kind of keeping an eye on him from a distance. Letting him learn, but being sure to keep the danger too far..or at least he thought so with some very close calls that happened (mainly due to harry sneaking off while DD was out of the school).

Maybe it's an exisiting topic and i should go read up on what people think, but was DD blind to the dangers he brough to the school or was he knowing, yet doing it as a way to .. let events develop.. to "prepare the boy" which I think it was...

sorry so long -- had to stop myself from typing more
<<

GinnyX

Mrs. George Weasley
Mrs. George Weasley

Post June 30th, 2011, 9:01 pm

^It goes to show that DD is only human and like all humans, prone to mistakes. The higher you build someone up, the further they have to fall, so it's good not to put someone on a really high pedestal. He seemed to be a trusting person who wanted to see the best in everyone. He kept up hope that Tom wouldn't turn out to be a bad seed and everything. To his credit, no one else knew about Quirell's head problem, either.
<<

Shiggidabop

First Year
First Year

Post June 30th, 2011, 10:24 pm

He seemed to be a trusting person who wanted to see the best in everyone.

Very valid point.

I give DD his own ego, cause I think if he would have looked closer into the matters he would have seen, but instead he just trusted the good in others.
<<

GinnyX

Mrs. George Weasley
Mrs. George Weasley

Post June 30th, 2011, 11:09 pm

Shiggidabop wrote:
He seemed to be a trusting person who wanted to see the best in everyone.

Very valid point.

I give DD his own ego, cause I think if he would have looked closer into the matters he would have seen, but instead he just trusted the good in others.

I don't know if it was his ego, but, yeah, he was almost too trusting, ya know? He took a lot of questionable chances, but, I again, I think it comes down to him being too trusting and hoping for the best while preparing for the worst.

I don't think any teacher wants to think that one of their students would ever become a mass murderer or that one of their co-workers would try to charm students into losing their memory.
I don't think it makes DD dumb, I think he just needs to follow his instincts better.
<<

Xenonia

First Year
First Year

Post July 20th, 2011, 11:38 pm

I too am sorry this is long but its worth it I promise lol

Coming back to the original topic...
Lockhearts stolen stories were all true just stolen, it's not difficult to give someone information. but I doubt he ever applied the information himself. Just like when he 'fixed' Harrys broken arm after the quidditch match. He didn't know what he was doing! Lol

And for the off-topic topic... Lol
If, for example, I assumed something about someone suspicious, I would need evidence. Hiring quirrell might just have been his way to be rid of quirells plan. Like when snape said to Dumbledore about Harry competing in the tri wizard tournament, "maybe its best to just let things... Unfold" maybe he already had suspicions of quirrell but allowed things to unfold to catch him in the act or something like that.

And for lockhart, if someone's record is smooth there wouldn't be any reason to not hire him. Hiring him (even if dd did know he's a fool) would be another way to let it unfold, had he been a good teacher he would obviously kept him and Harry would never have forcefully brought him in the chamber in the first place. Otherwise he would eventually be found as stupid, which happened, but only in the eyes of Harry and ron which personally disappoints me lol
Pottermore: Bladequill143 <----- Ravenclaw Appropriate :)
Patronus - Grizzly Bear
Wand - 10 3/4 inches
Core: Unicorn
Wood: Rowan
<<

hayden_potter

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post July 21st, 2011, 7:53 pm

Shiggidabop wrote:I think the fact that dumbeldore hired him and quirrel as a teacher is a bigger question. so wise yet so blind to things, all part of the plan? i unno....

Well, Quirrel was a perfectly competent Muggle Studies teacher for years, so Dumbledore had no reason to believe that he wasn't a good teacher or that he wasn't on the "good" side. He only realised this later on in the year.

As for Lockhart, Hagrid said that Lockhart was the only person who had applied for the job. He didn't really have a lot of people to choose from...
<<

expelliarmus7

Squib
Squib

Post July 23rd, 2011, 1:49 am

I'm pretty sure he gave advice like he gave advice through the rest of the book/movie: worthless information that was ignored by those who knew what they were doing.
I miss Potter
<<

Omega

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post August 5th, 2011, 6:54 pm

I thought his lies were some of the funniest parts in the book.
<<

Nynaeve

Jennifer
Jennifer

Post September 10th, 2011, 1:13 pm

We all know that Lockhart lied in all his books - he didn't do all those things.

But that doesn't mean he didn't have some basic knowledge of magical things. Maybe he was a little good at herbology.
Thanks Naz
<<

magelet87

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post November 15th, 2011, 3:19 am

Xenonia wrote:I too am sorry this is long but its worth it I promise lol

Coming back to the original topic...
Lockhearts stolen stories were all true just stolen, it's not difficult to give someone information. but I doubt he ever applied the information himself. Just like when he 'fixed' Harrys broken arm after the quidditch match. He didn't know what he was doing! Lol

And for the off-topic topic... Lol
If, for example, I assumed something about someone suspicious, I would need evidence. Hiring quirrell might just have been his way to be rid of quirells plan. Like when snape said to Dumbledore about Harry competing in the tri wizard tournament, "maybe its best to just let things... Unfold" maybe he already had suspicions of quirrell but allowed things to unfold to catch him in the act or something like that.

And for lockhart, if someone's record is smooth there wouldn't be any reason to not hire him. Hiring him (even if dd did know he's a fool) would be another way to let it unfold, had he been a good teacher he would obviously kept him and Harry would never have forcefully brought him in the chamber in the first place. Otherwise he would eventually be found as stupid, which happened, but only in the eyes of Harry and ron which personally disappoints me lol

Well said. I didn't even think about that until I read your post.

As for the Whomping Willow thing: Well, you know how he took all those experiences from other wizards and put the out there as his own? What if that is what he did when he told her how to fix the WW?
"Freckles, you taste like strawberries."- Sawyer, Lost

"Live together, die alone"-Kate, Lost

"Man in the sky, forbid!"-Anna's Mother, The Invention of Lying

^^Thank you BellatrixObssesed!
<<

NuclearBombSale

Muggle
Muggle

Post April 22nd, 2012, 11:51 am

We're forgetting one thing; just because Lockhart was a lair, it doesn't mean he was stupid. He was sorted into Ravenclaw, which I find interesting, since his ardently need to be famous is more of a Slytherin-feature, and but that was apparently out shined by some Ravenclaw-features, else he wouldn't have been sorted into Ravenclaw. And to be fair, then it does requires some skills to erase the memories of all those great wizards.
I mean, those wizards did some amazing things, ergo they must have had great knowledge and they were also talented wizards, which makes it harder to go behind their back and turn them over, but Lockhart managed to do that.

So, liar? Yes. Stupid? No. (At least not as stupid as we wants him to be).
And since he isn't stupid, it is likely he actually does know some things, like giving Sprout advice about the Whomping Willow.

... Just a thought.
Just like a letter can be lost in the mail, can owls get lost too? Because my letter should have been here 9 years ago and I'm still waiting!
<<

BarnumOnTheBrain

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post April 22nd, 2012, 12:43 pm

Well, he didn't exactly go behind their backs so to speak - he tricked those who did the needs he claimed as his own into telling him what they did, and some of them probably even told him willingly, and then just modified their memory with a very strong charm. That's got an element of intelligence, and shows he's not stupid, but he'd stupid in thinking that he could always get away with it.
NuclearBombSale wrote:So, liar? Yes. Stupid? No. (At least not as stupid as we wants him to be).
And since he isn't stupid, it is likely he actually does know some things, like giving Sprout advice about the Whomping Willow.

He knows some things, yes, but it should be remembered that the cultured aspect of him that he's so keen to show off isn't actually his. He's a fake, and half the time doesn't actually know what he's talking about. The example you've given shows this quite well actually, as he's trying to tell an expert on plants how to treat a tree that said expert has been tending for decades. That's just stupid.

He's ignorant in that he thinks he's better than he actually is - he's such a good liar that he himself believes his lies to a certain degree.
<<

NuclearBombSale

Muggle
Muggle

Post April 22nd, 2012, 12:55 pm

BarnumOnTheBrain wrote:Well, he didn't exactly go behind their backs so to speak - he tricked those who did the needs he claimed as his own into telling him what they did, and some of them probably even told him willingly, and then just modified their memory with a very strong charm. That's got an element of intelligence, and shows he's not stupid, but he'd stupid in thinking that he could always get away with it.
NuclearBombSale wrote:So, liar? Yes. Stupid? No. (At least not as stupid as we wants him to be).

He knows some things, yes, but it should be remembered that the cultured aspect of him that he's so keen to show off isn't actually his. He's a fake, and half the time doesn't actually know what he's talking about. The example you've given shows this quite well actually, as he's trying to tell an expert on plants how to treat a tree that said expert has been tending for decades. That's just stupid.

He's ignorant in that he thinks he's better than he actually is - he's such a good liar that he himself believes his lies to a certain degree.

I agree, he is ignorant and his biggest flaw is that he can't see it himself, which also drives him to think that he can get away with erasing the memories of many big witches and wizards and selling the stories as his own. No doubt about that.

When I said 'go behind their backs' it was because I couldn't think if a more fitting expression, though it probably wasn't the right one to use. Oh, the curse of not being English!

I didn't say that the advise he gave Sprout was a good advice, or the one she needed. Sprout is the expert and definitely knows best. The point I was trying to make was more, that I think we need to give Lockhart a bit of credit, again because he isn't as stupid as we would like him to be. A complete twat? Yes. A filthy, ungrateful liar? Yes. But he isn't stupid, he is blinded by his own ignorance and his own lies.

I'm sorry if that didn't came across the way it was supposed to do. I tend to confuse myself when I got a lot to say :)
Just like a letter can be lost in the mail, can owls get lost too? Because my letter should have been here 9 years ago and I'm still waiting!
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post October 6th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Re: Lockheart's Lies

Here's more about Lockhart that I read.
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Gilderoy_Lockhart
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.

Return to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets