FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

pokémon go

<<

Yasahiro

First Year
First Year

Post July 9th, 2016, 9:05 pm

pokémon go

I assume most of you have heard of Pokémon go, the mobile game where you have to travel in real life to encounter and catch all the pokémon and do battles and find items/gyms. It seems to be a lot of fun. This mobile game has been released a vew days ago in a couple of countries (e.g. Australia and Japan) and can also be played in other countries if one does some research on how to install the game. What do you think of this game? Today I found out a lot of people are already playing and have decided to give it a try. Appart from visiting a pokéstop in front of a local church where you find some items I haven't achieved anything yet though. The problem on my way home was bad internet connection. Another problem (for now) is that, apparently, if you live in the middle of nowhere (like me) then you will have a hard time finding anything at all. All exciting stuff happens in towns and cities. To me it would make more sense to generally put gyms and pokéstops around cities and pokémon in nature-rich areas but maybe they will fix this later.
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post July 9th, 2016, 10:46 pm

Re: pokémon go

I got it yesterday. Went for a run earlier today and caught some basic Pokemon (pidgey, rattata, etc) but nothing too exciting.

Tbh, I'm struggling to see the whole point of it. I mean sure it's exciting when there's a Venonat in your vicinity, but once you've caught the, what then?
<<

Yasahiro

First Year
First Year

Post July 11th, 2016, 6:50 pm

Well today on my way to university I got the chance to try it in the city and it's much better. the pokéstops are literally everywhere/more diverse and so are the pokémon to catch. the stops are mostly pieces of art (2d and 3d), important buildings, fountains etc. I think the main thing to go for in this game is to try and catch as many different types as possible. It is also rewarding to catch multiple of the same species because it provides you with candy for that species which you can eventually use to make them evolve or to make them stronger. I think breeding is also possible which provides you with eggs that hatch after having traveled a certain distance. Once I reached civilization many gyms started to pop up. These gyms were claimed by other people and you can claim it as your own if you manage to beat the pokémon the other player has left in his gym. Also when players reach level 5 they can choose between 3 different teams to join. So if you claim one of these gyms it makes it the territory of your group. I saw the different teams constantly battling for ownership of the gyms in the university building and other research buildings where seemingly only old scientists work xD
<<

curiosity

Alchemist
Alchemist

Post July 11th, 2016, 11:28 pm

There are reportedly hugh secrurity risks with the game, Beware.

http://adamreeve.tumblr.com/post/147120 ... urity-risk
<<

PrincessDeathEater

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 12th, 2016, 4:25 am

Its fun, found 5 Pokemon in my backyard on random days which was interesting. I will say it freezes and it will give me errors when logging in sometimes.
They have a few bugs to fix still.
At least its making people be more active, I mean it got my boyfriend begging to walk the dog more lol :roll: :roll: :roll:
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post July 12th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Okay I'm kinda addicted now. I work near a few Poke stops and on my drive to & from work I usually find loads of pokemon. There's always traffic so it actually keeps me entertained.

Finally got myself an egg earlier, looking forward to that hatching.
<<

PrincessDeathEater

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 12th, 2016, 6:10 pm

There's eggs?? I haven't got one. Do you run into them like you do the pokemon? If it didn't drain my phone so fast I would spend more time on it.
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post July 14th, 2016, 2:05 pm

PrincessDeathEater wrote:There's eggs?? I haven't got one. Do you run into them like you do the pokemon? If it didn't drain my phone so fast I would spend more time on it.

You get them from pokestops! I have like 9 now, you have to walk a certain distance (with the game open) for them to hatch. Hatched one and got a Caterpie. :lol:
<<

Yasahiro

First Year
First Year

Post July 14th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Yes if you visit a bunch of pokéstops you'll quickly find eggs. I found like 10 of them in one day. I would play this game more if only there was anything around here to catch xD
<<

dryad

la belle dame sans merci
la belle dame sans merci

Post July 15th, 2016, 4:32 am

I was really excited to play, but it absolutely kills my phone, the page freezes and I can barely get anything done. I hope they address it soon, I'd love to be able to really use the app.

What team are you guys on/will you join when you reach level 5?
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post July 15th, 2016, 8:23 am

dryad wrote:I was really excited to play, but it absolutely kills my phone, the page freezes and I can barely get anything done. I hope they address it soon, I'd love to be able to really use the app.

What team are you guys on/will you join when you reach level 5?

I have to restart it regularly which is a pain. Usually freezes when catching a pokemon, but thankfully whenever i've restarted the Pokemon has been caught :).

I got to Level 8 this morning. Chose the yellow team simply because they had a Zapdos logo and that was my favourite legendary :lol: not brave enough to tackle a Gym yet. Raised my strongest pokemon (Pidgeot) to a 330 CP but don't think that's enough.
<<

Yasahiro

First Year
First Year

Post July 15th, 2016, 9:49 pm

I reached level 6 and joined mystic because I like Articuno but electroheron is cool too. I didn't have too much trouble using the app so far. Only had to restart once and the pokémon sadly was not caught. Also haven't had interactions with gyms so far cause I won't be able to win, for now...
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post July 15th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Evolved my Eevee into a Level 643 Vaporeon. 8)
<<

Khaleesi

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Post July 16th, 2016, 12:38 am

I downloaded it and tried to create an account, but the system was overwhelmed due to the popularity and everyone trying to make an account, thus I had to "come back later". I took it as a sign. I love Pokemon and all, but I really don't want to get addicted. I see dozens and dozens of people downtown glued to their phones running around like crazies. I don't want to be one of those people, I've been trying to use my phone less and actually pay attention to what's going on around me.

<<

dryad

la belle dame sans merci
la belle dame sans merci

Post July 24th, 2016, 4:11 pm

The Fifth Marauder wrote:Evolved my Eevee into a Level 643 Vaporeon. 8)

That's so sick dude 8)

I'm excited to evolve mine into a Flareon, one of my favs since Ariel Needs Legs. Waiting for a lucky egg though, then I'll try to evolve as many as possible.
<<

Yasahiro

First Year
First Year

Post July 24th, 2016, 9:23 pm

dryad wrote: Waiting for a lucky egg though, then I'll try to evolve as many as possible.

Hey that's actually a very good idea. Why didn't I think of that. Got my lucky egg today but I already made many evolve a few days ago.

I have reached level 9 now with about 35 different types caught.
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post July 25th, 2016, 9:13 am

dryad wrote:
The Fifth Marauder wrote:Evolved my Eevee into a Level 643 Vaporeon. 8)

That's so sick dude 8)

I'm excited to evolve mine into a Flareon, one of my favs since Ariel Needs Legs. Waiting for a lucky egg though, then I'll try to evolve as many as possible.

What is Ariel Needs Legs? I mean, I'm sure you've got your reasons, but everyone knows Vaporeon is the boss of the Eevee evolutions. ;)

I saw a Porygon on the street the other day. Accidentally clicked on the Spearow that it was stood next to, and when I legged it from the bird, Porygon was gone. The one that got away. :(
<<

dreamer_x

Tenth Doctor's Best Companion
Tenth Doctor's Best Companion

Post July 26th, 2016, 7:49 pm

The app crashed on me as I tried to catch a Squirtle today. I was not happy.

So I'm a little bit addicted, as are most of the lads I work with! So the only conversation you get out of them is what pokemon they caught last night :lol:
I found some Jynx's and Hypno's in a little town centre near me, and a Vulpix when we took a wrong turn! I hatched a 5km egg today and got another Vulpix, excited for my 10km egg to hatch!
We took a trip out to the park the other day to specifically catch some Charmanders after being tipped off that that was where they were hiding haha!
What's everyones best pokemon? I'm not doing amazingly, I have too much else to do and don't get much time to play it haha my best is a 400 CP Jynx at the minute!
<<

PrincessDeathEater

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 27th, 2016, 5:55 am

I found the eggs! I literally circle my neighborhood like at 9pm trying to find pokemon. I found Vulpix a couple of hours ago lol I was so happy. The highest one I have is,like 507 Jolteon. Something like that. I should of kept increasing eevee's CP before evolving it. I was still learning to play when I did so I'm back to recollecting Eevee and start over I guess. cause,aren't you supposed to increase its CP to its max and then evolve it? Right?
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post July 27th, 2016, 8:39 am

PrincessDeathEater wrote:I found the eggs! I literally circle my neighborhood like at 9pm trying to find pokemon. I found Vulpix a couple of hours ago lol I was so happy. The highest one I have is,like 507 Jolteon. Something like that. I should of kept increasing eevee's CP before evolving it. I was still learning to play when I did so I'm back to recollecting Eevee and start over I guess. cause,aren't you supposed to increase its CP to its max and then evolve it? Right?

I think so!

I haven't improved on my Bae-poreon, but currently caught over 40 kinds which is decent I guess. Haven't seen anything too rare but almost crashed my car catching a Voltorb yesterday.

-- July 27th, 2016, 3:40 am --

dreamer_x wrote:The app crashed on me as I tried to catch a Squirtle today. I was not happy.

So I'm a little bit addicted, as are most of the lads I work with! So the only conversation you get out of them is what pokemon they caught last night :lol:
I found some Jynx's and Hypno's in a little town centre near me, and a Vulpix when we took a wrong turn! I hatched a 5km egg today and got another Vulpix, excited for my 10km egg to hatch!
We took a trip out to the park the other day to specifically catch some Charmanders after being tipped off that that was where they were hiding haha!
What's everyones best pokemon? I'm not doing amazingly, I have too much else to do and don't get much time to play it haha my best is a 400 CP Jynx at the minute!

Mega jealous of your Vulpix :( I keep seeing Jynxs on my "nearby" list but never actually seen one.
<<

PrincessDeathEater

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 29th, 2016, 6:14 am

That's what I figured lol my Jolteon is at 693 now I'm slowly getting it there :)

What team is everyone in. Everyone I know is in the yellow one, I feel like the only odd one who picked blue lol
<<

Rosey678

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Post August 21st, 2016, 11:11 pm

I chose Team Mystic, but I am rather annoyed because I feel like I would rather be team Valor instead. I'm thinking of making a new account and choosing team Valor instead..Even though that would make me loose my Pokemon.

It's just...Team Valor's leader wants to research ways to "enhance" Pokemon strength, that sounds really suspicious to me and don't know if I agree with it.

But I connect with a lot of Valor's values, the only thing is all my friends are Mystic.

I'm not sure what I should do tbh, any suggestions?
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

dryad

la belle dame sans merci
la belle dame sans merci

Post August 22nd, 2016, 5:27 am

Rosey678 wrote:I chose Team Mystic, but I am rather annoyed because I feel like I would rather be team Valor instead. I'm thinking of making a new account and choosing team Valor instead..Even though that would make me loose my Pokemon.

It's just...Team Valor's leader wants to research ways to "enhance" Pokemon strength, that sounds really suspicious to me and don't know if I agree with it.

But I connect with a lot of Valor's values, the only thing is all my friends are Mystic.

follow ur heart <3 If you feel more drawn to Valor and being in Mystic dampens your enthusiasm, make the switch. What pokemon would you be losing/what level have you reached/how much progress would you be losing? I guess it comes down to would you rather keep your progress or join the team with which you feel more aligned. My brother did the same thing - joined Mystic because all his friends were on that team, but then remade to join Valor.
<<

Rosey678

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Post August 22nd, 2016, 10:06 pm

dryad wrote:
Rosey678 wrote:I chose Team Mystic, but I am rather annoyed because I feel like I would rather be team Valor instead. I'm thinking of making a new account and choosing team Valor instead..Even though that would make me loose my Pokemon.

follow ur heart <3 If you feel more drawn to Valor and being in Mystic dampens your enthusiasm, make the switch. What pokemon would you be losing/what level have you reached/how much progress would you be losing? I guess it comes down to would you rather keep your progress or join the team with which you feel more aligned. My brother did the same thing - joined Mystic because all his friends were on that team, but then remade to join Valor.

What team are you on Kate? What do you think of the Enhancing Pokemon Strength thing?

I wouldn't be loosing too much, I'm only level 7 right now. I do have some decent pokemon though, I don't live in the city so when I went to Philly two days ago I caught a bunch of Pokemon I would NEVER find in my area...Which makes me sad to loose them, but it's not like I have any high CP Pokemon, if I did I wouldn't switch; but I wouldn't be able to get those pokemon again for a while.
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

dryad

la belle dame sans merci
la belle dame sans merci

Post August 23rd, 2016, 6:01 am

Rosey678 wrote:What team are you on Kate? What do you think of the Enhancing Pokemon Strength thing?

I wouldn't be loosing too much, I'm only level 7 right now. I do have some decent pokemon though, I don't live in the city so when I went to Philly two days ago I caught a bunch of Pokemon I would NEVER find in my area...Which makes me sad to loose them, but it's not like I have any high CP Pokemon, if I did I wouldn't switch; but I wouldn't be able to get those pokemon again for a while.

I'm on Mystic. I like it the best of the three, but since it's the most popular I was really tempted to join Instinct. I don't have an opinion on it. I haven't seen anything concerning about it, and anyway none of it's real so I wouldn't care much even if I did find out Valor's methods were shady. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah at level 7 you might as well just remake. I've read that trading is in the works, so when that comes out you might be able to transfer pokemon between your accounts, so then you can have the best of both worlds!
Next

Return to Video Games