FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

2016/17 Football Season

<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post July 25th, 2016, 9:09 am

2016/17 Football Season

Doesn't feel like 2 minutes since the last season, but we have just under 2 weeks until the football season returns in England; firstly, the Football League kicks off on August 5th, and then a week later we see the Premier League start. I've missed going to games an awful lot...on Saturday i'm attending a pre-season friendly (Leeds vs Italian side Atalanta) and then a week on Sunday we're live on TV away to QPR for our opening game of the season. It'll be good to be back :D.

I think the Premier League is very difficult to call next season. Bookies have made Man City favourites, probably due to the Pep Guardiola factor, and although I think Gundogan and Nolito are good signings, I still feel their squad is short. Man Utd are 2nd favourites...again, signings like Ibra and Mkhitaryan are good, but they finished a long way off last season. I think it's Chelsea who have done the best business so far, signing Batshuayi and Kante, and appointing Conte as manager. They need to improve hugely on the 10th placed finish last season, and they surely will.
I'd be surprised if those 3 sides don't finish as the top 3, and if I had to plump for a winner, I'd probably go for Man City, although not with a great deal of confidence.
As for the remaining spot in the top 4? Arsenal always finish up there, Tottenham are off the back of their highest League finish in ages, and Liverpool have Jurgen Klopp. It's another that you can't really call with certainty.
Towards the bottom, unfortunately I think Hull and Burnley are definitely going down, standard yo-yo clubs between the top 2 tiers. The last relegation spot is interesing; the other promoted side, Middlesbrough, have strengthened well. Sunderland have lost Sam Allardyce to England but replaced him with David Moyes, which is a decent deal imo. Watford and Bournemouth, two other sides expected to struggle, have spent big. There will also be question marks over West Brom and Swansea, both of whom will probably finish in the bottom half.
The other big talking point this season will be the performance of champions Leicester. Kante has gone, Mahrez may be off, Vardy is staying put (for now). They haven't really spent money to improve the squad either. I think they'll be mid-table, and sadly will drift into being a Stoke/West Brom side over the next couple of season.

My prediction:
1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd
4. Liverpool
----------------
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham
----------------
11. Leicester
-----------------
17. Bournemouth
-----------------
18. West Brom
19. Burnley
20. Hull

In the Football League, I think we'll see Newcastle bounce back up with ease, and probably Norwich too. The other side who went down last season, Aston Villa, will find things a bit tougher, imo. The 3rd promotion spot is well up for grabs. I'll be keen to see whether Leeds actually make a go of things this season and try and get promotion, but sadly we're not quite there yet. At the moment I'll call it as Derby, purely for lack of other alternatives.

Champions: Newcastle
Runners-up: Norwich
Play-off winners: Derby.

Of course, football does exist outside of England :lol: but I don't really know too much about the other Leagues, apart from the Real Madrids and Barcelonas of the World. However, La Liga and Serie A start a week after the Premier League, with the Bundesliga a further week behind. World Cup qualifiers then begin in early September, and a week later, the Champions League group stages begin!

Let me know what you think to my predictions, give me some insight into the other European Leagues and offer me your owns thoughts and views.

-- August 2nd, 2016, 4:12 am --

*insert tumbleweed gif here*
<<

Nick@night

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 15th, 2016, 7:28 pm

Re: 2016/17 Football Season

Pleased with Manchester United's win at Bournemouth. Zlatan Ibrahimovic's goal left me shaking my head; very solid strike. Even though it was only one game, you could definitely feel a difference with Mourinho at the helm. So happy football is back!
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post August 16th, 2016, 7:18 am

Don't know what you were smoking when you put that one together haha, Spurs and Arsenal outside of top 4? Leicester finishing 11? Nah, though I'll second your bottom 3 prediction:

1. Manchester City
2. Tottenham Hotspur
3. Manchester United
4. Arsenal
5. Leicester
6. Everton

------

18. West Brom
19. Hull City
20. Burnley
"From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a flame from the darkness shall spring, renewed shall be the blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king." ~ Bilbo Baggins
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post August 16th, 2016, 10:26 am

Mirkprince wrote:Don't know what you were smoking when you put that one together haha, Spurs and Arsenal outside of top 4? Leicester finishing 11? Nah, though I'll second your bottom 3 prediction:

1. Manchester City
2. Tottenham Hotspur
3. Manchester United
4. Arsenal
5. Leicester
6. Everton

------

18. West Brom
19. Hull City
20. Burnley

Chelsea will 100% finish in the top 4, I strongly fancy this Liverpool side too. Arsenal have slipped behind the others and Leicester won't be half as good as last season.

Tottenham are the only ones I'm unsure about. I'd like them to do well.
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post August 17th, 2016, 5:00 pm

The Fifth Marauder wrote:
Mirkprince wrote:Don't know what you were smoking when you put that one together haha, Spurs and Arsenal outside of top 4? Leicester finishing 11? Nah, though I'll second your bottom 3 prediction:

1. Manchester City
2. Tottenham Hotspur
3. Manchester United
4. Arsenal
5. Leicester
6. Everton

------

18. West Brom
19. Hull City
20. Burnley

Chelsea will 100% finish in the top 4, I strongly fancy this Liverpool side too. Arsenal have slipped behind the others and Leicester won't be half as good as last season.

Tottenham are the only ones I'm unsure about. I'd like them to do well.

Oh haha, I knew I was missing someone... Lemme change that:
1. Man City
2. Tottenham
3. Chelsea
4. Man United
5. Arsenal
6. Leicester
"From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a flame from the darkness shall spring, renewed shall be the blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king." ~ Bilbo Baggins
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post August 26th, 2016, 8:48 am

Huge game for me this weekend as the team I support (Leeds) travel to my local "big" side (Nottingham Forest). Unfortunately I won't be attending but bragging rights means this is a huge deal.
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post August 30th, 2016, 7:58 am

I have a Q, do any of you fellow PL nuts dabble in Fantasy Premier League perchance? I was thinking of starting a league for PF people if you do...
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post August 30th, 2016, 11:29 am

The Fifth Marauder wrote:Huge game for me this weekend as the team I support (Leeds) travel to my local "big" side (Nottingham Forest). Unfortunately I won't be attending but bragging rights means this is a huge deal.

Lost 3-1. Cheers for that.

-- August 30th, 2016, 6:30 am --

Mirkprince wrote:I have a Q, do any of you fellow PL nuts dabble in Fantasy Premier League perchance? I was thinking of starting a league for PF people if you do...

I don't know if many others will be interested, but i'm on https://fantasy.premierleague.com/ in a few leagues already. I'd be interested in joining another.
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post August 30th, 2016, 3:36 pm

The Fifth Marauder wrote:Huge game for me this weekend as the team I support (Leeds) travel to my local "big" side (Nottingham Forest). Unfortunately I won't be attending but bragging rights means this is a huge deal.

Lost 3-1. Cheers for that.

-- August 30th, 2016, 6:30 am --

Mirkprince wrote:I have a Q, do any of you fellow PL nuts dabble in Fantasy Premier League perchance? I was thinking of starting a league for PF people if you do...

I don't know if many others will be interested, but i'm on https://fantasy.premierleague.com/ in a few leagues already. I'd be interested in joining another.

Cool beans, will wait and see if anyone else is interested...
<<

Deitus

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post August 30th, 2016, 4:02 pm

It took entirely too long to realize we are talking about Soccer here, not American football, lol.

I spent a solid 60 seconds being thoroughly confused who these teams are.
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post August 31st, 2016, 6:59 am

Deitus wrote:It took entirely too long to realize we are talking about Soccer here, not American football, lol.

I spent a solid 60 seconds being thoroughly confused who these teams are.

Hahahaha,
and no... it's Football. AS in REAL football, that we're talking about here ;) !
<<

Deitus

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post August 31st, 2016, 4:02 pm

Not disputing Soccer has more global viewers, however I dont know anyone who watches it.

Then again, this is southern US, where College Football is like religion.

So honest mistake, carry on
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post September 1st, 2016, 7:10 am

Deitus wrote:Not disputing Soccer has more global viewers, however I dont know anyone who watches it.

Then again, this is southern US, where College Football is like religion.

So honest mistake, carry on

Just messing with you ;).

It's a sore spot with pretty much all football fans that American Football is called 'Football' and America changed the name of 'Football' to soccer ;). Though strangely I love American Football and I have zero american blood in me... though I watch NFL not College Football.
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post September 1st, 2016, 9:19 am

It doesn't actually bother me - I'll happily call it Soccer when in conversation with an American. I just forget :lol:

If someone could please explain to me why Chelsea have re-signed David Luiz and why Spurs have paid £30m for Moussa Sissoko i'll be forever in your debt :)

The two Manchester sides have definitely done the best business this window. Chelsea signing Kante and Batshuayi (however the chuff you spell his name) were good deals, too, although I think they'll struggle to keep pace with the other two.
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post September 1st, 2016, 3:23 pm

The Fifth Marauder wrote:It doesn't actually bother me - I'll happily call it Soccer when in conversation with an American. I just forget :lol:

If someone could please explain to me why Chelsea have re-signed David Luiz and why Spurs have paid £30m for Moussa Sissoko i'll be forever in your debt :)

The two Manchester sides have definitely done the best business this window. Chelsea signing Kante and Batshuayi (however the chuff you spell his name) were good deals, too, although I think they'll struggle to keep pace with the other two.

Mate, I ask the same question... Spurs used to be the deadline-day devils... coming in with fantastic deals at the last moment... but Sissoko? Frikkin whaaat?
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post September 13th, 2016, 9:09 am

First Manchester derby has been and gone - I'd argue that that opening 40 minutes from Man City was one of the best performances i've seen from a Premier League side in a long time. Absolutely all over Man Utd. Pep is working his magic already. Didn't see much of the 2nd and apparently Man Utd came into it a bit more, but from what I have gathered it was a deserved away win.

Those 2 and Chelsea have all started strongly, as have Everton. Excited to see what comes next. Chelsea vs Liverpool on Friday :)
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post September 13th, 2016, 9:57 am

The Fifth Marauder wrote:First Manchester derby has been and gone - I'd argue that that opening 40 minutes from Man City was one of the best performances i've seen from a Premier League side in a long time. Absolutely all over Man Utd. Pep is working his magic already. Didn't see much of the 2nd and apparently Man Utd came into it a bit more, but from what I have gathered it was a deserved away win.

Those 2 and Chelsea have all started strongly, as have Everton. Excited to see what comes next. Chelsea vs Liverpool on Friday :)

Yep, I didn't see the game but I'm excited about what Pep can do with a team like Man City... I think he is a perfect fit manager for them. Better than he was at Bayern I reckon.
So psyched after that win at Stoke :)! Great play, I saw a glimpse of last years Spurs :)!
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post September 19th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Sweet mother of christ Leeds have won two games in a week. Absolutely unheard of :cheer:

In the big leagues it appears that Man City have probably won the Premier League already? :think:
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post September 21st, 2016, 8:43 am

The Fifth Marauder wrote:Sweet mother of christ Leeds have won two games in a week. Absolutely unheard of :cheer:

In the big leagues it appears that Man City have probably won the Premier League already? :think:

I hesitate to make judgements like that this early in the season... but I suspect you may be right.

-- October 3rd, 2016, 9:32 am --

Spurs :P :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post October 13th, 2016, 9:29 am

Spurs absolutely smashed Man City in that game. Fair play to them. City are a different animal without KdB, who must be one of the top 5 players in the World right now.

BPL is genuinely very exciting right now. I do think Man City will still go on to win it, their squad is just far too strong when everyone is fit. Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal look very good though, and you'd imagine Chelsea and Man Utd will stay hot on their heels.

Liverpool vs Man Utd on Monday night. C'mon the Pool.
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post January 30th, 2017, 7:26 am

Well... hindsight is 20/20
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post February 1st, 2017, 9:42 am

Mirkprince wrote:Well... hindsight is 20/20

Indeed. I don't think my predictions will be too far away; Chelsea will probably win the League rather than Man City, however the rest of the top 4 is really open. I went with Man City, Man Utd and Liverpool to join them, and with Arsenal being inconsistent, I could see it happening.

My bottom 3 will be way off since West Brom and Burnley are having good seasons.
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post February 1st, 2017, 10:13 am

Mirkprince wrote:Well... hindsight is 20/20

Indeed. I don't think my predictions will be too far away; Chelsea will probably win the League rather than Man City, however the rest of the top 4 is really open. I went with Man City, Man Utd and Liverpool to join them, and with Arsenal being inconsistent, I could see it happening.

My bottom 3 will be way off since West Brom and Burnley are having good seasons.

Personally I can't see Spurs finishing outside of the top 3, let alone the top 4 except with our current defensive injuries I'm a tad worried :| . Utd are essentially screwed as well, though they could still pull it back with a miracle.
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post March 9th, 2017, 4:39 pm

The Champions League tie between Barcelona and PSG was one of the best things I've ever witnessed. Incredible scenes.

<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post March 9th, 2017, 7:06 pm

Hockey's better.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
Next

Return to Sports