FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Speakers on college campuses?

<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post June 20th, 2017, 11:13 pm

Speakers on college campuses?

Do you think it is right for either liberal or conservative speakers to be canceled from speaking at college? Whether the situation be the faculty/administration attempting to keep speakers from their school, or protesters effectively forcing a speaker from attending a school, or a school buckling to pressure and un-inviting a speaker from their school, do you think it is important for the students to be allowed to hear all viewpoints and decide for themselves, or should any viewpoints be effectively silenced from a college campus?

And to follow up, when you hear that a speaker has been canceled, removed or denied the opportunity to speak at a college campus, what do you wish you could say personally to fhe administration in charge?
>>>Image<<<
>>>>>>>>... the artist formerly known as APWBD1881.<<<<<<<<
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 21st, 2017, 1:20 am

Re: Speakers on college campuses?

Unless that Speaker is spreading a message of hate or false info...then there is no reason to do that.

Im a military man. I came from a family that has included soldiers, and police officers and nurses(we are basically a greayer good type of family). Freedom ks whayprompted many people to take up arms...from the Revolutionary war, to the Civil War, to WWI and WWII. People have fought and died for this ideal.

I fought to bring this ideal to places that don't have it.

To me, it is ridiculous that the fear of people getting offended is now more important than the constitutional right(both in US and CAN) of freedom of speech. Unless the limits of that freedom is reached(ie shouting fire in a crowded theatre or spreading messages of hate) then no one should be censored.

What a crappy way to respect the sacrifice that so many made.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 21st, 2017, 12:32 pm

GinChaser wrote:Unless that Speaker is spreading a message of hate or false info...then there is no reason to do that.

Now you're getting into a supposedly complicated area.
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post June 21st, 2017, 11:28 pm

Yes, where is the line drawn between what is hate speech and what is something someone just doesn't like? And who draws the line? How do they do it unbiasedly?

And where do you personally draw that line?

As far as false info, where are the lines between false info, different perspective, lies, different worldview, and a truth that doesn't support your ideology? And again, who draws the lines and how?

Is it better to give the student any and all information, allowing them to make the determinations for themselves. If someone is truly lying, being unreasonable spreading hate, will it eventually come out? Will it eventually be evident?

Does something need to change in early-education so we can trust young adults to hear every side and be able to make an appropriate, well-educated assessment of the information, and come to a strong self-aquired decision/understanding of how to respond?
>>>Image<<<
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 22nd, 2017, 8:12 pm

I think facts are facts and when people lie they should be called out on it. They should straight out be called a liar. As for opinion things, I think there has to be an acknowledgement between opinion and the law. Just because you feel something is "right" doesn't mean it's legal.

Hate speech... that's complicated. I go back and forth. On the one hand for real free speech you need all speech to be free. On the other, there are just somethings that aren't worth hearing from anyone at any time in any arena.
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post June 22nd, 2017, 9:17 pm

Do you feel there is more of an issue with hate speech or with censorship?

Who should make the decision on what is worth hearing? Should each listener make their own decision? Should there be someone who decides for students what they should hear? (Since we are specifically discussing college campuses?)
>>>Image<<<
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 22nd, 2017, 10:17 pm

Grrarrggh wrote:I think facts are facts and when people lie they should be called out on it. They should straight out be called a liar. As for opinion things, I think there has to be an acknowledgement between opinion and the law. Just because you feel something is "right" doesn't mean it's legal.

Hate speech... that's complicated. I go back and forth. On the one hand for real free speech you need all speech to be free. On the other, there are just somethings that aren't worth hearing from anyone at any time in any arena.

No you dont. Messages of racism or sexism(yes this goes both ways), preaching inequality....that stuff.

Even if its empowering white males, as long as its not doing it at the expense of other sexes or races...it should be allowed.

People are too sensitive these and everyone else is terrified that they are going to offend someone. Its lunacy.

<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post June 24th, 2017, 1:38 pm

Bucko wrote:Do you feel there is more of an issue with hate speech or with censorship?

Who should make the decision on what is worth hearing? Should each listener make their own decision? Should there be someone who decides for students what they should hear? (Since we are specifically discussing college campuses?)
>>>Image<<<
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 24th, 2017, 4:53 pm

I honestly think there is more of an issue with censorship. There will always be hate, but you cannot live in fear of it. Unless it is a speaker on one of the exceptions of free speech that I mentioned before...everything should be allowed.

The college admin should make the choice, but they need to not be so terrified about offending people, because as long as it doesnt fall into the exceptions of free speech ot shoild be allowed.

<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 24th, 2017, 7:01 pm

The problem with hate speech is how insidious it can be if it comes from a talented speaker. That's why I'm unsure on allowing it. Even though university students are technically adults they are still incredibly open to suggestion and at a very emotional time in their lives. (Don't even get me started on the arbitrary 18 and 21 instant adult ages or on how many juveniles are tried as adults.)

I think there has been a build up of too much censorship in things like Halloween costumes. At the same time there are some people who just aren't worth hearing from and should rightly be ignored as a person even if there reasons they are followed and listened to should be studied.
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post June 25th, 2017, 6:19 am

If you were a student, would uou want to make the decisions on who should be ignored yourself? Or would you like to have someone else make those decisions on your behalf? Namely, a group of protestors, the school board, a student body official...

If the person is truly not worth listening to, is it more effective to let them be heard so people hear the message and reject it? Or is it too dangerous to allow the chance that someone does find them worth listening to?
>>>Image<<<
<<

stefanvh

Quidditch Player
Quidditch Player

Post June 25th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Grrarrggh wrote:At the same time there are some people who just aren't worth hearing from and should rightly be ignored as a person even if there reasons they are followed and listened to should be studied.

I think that the pitfalls of free speech can be fought against through more free speech. Meaning, let the idiot speak, then combat them by debunking their every point. Far more effective than just banning them, as otherwise their ideas get seen as "forbidden" more attractive to seek out and thus more prevalent in political discourse. To a certain extent that is how alt righters such as Milo Yiannowhatever got their popularity - the authoritarian left did their job for them.
Thanks to Lumiere for this!

Harry/Ginny 4ever <3

Pottermore username: StoneSnitch10208

Mod of /r/HarryandGinny

<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post July 3rd, 2017, 6:37 pm

You could argue that some people are overly sensitive, and therefore it's okay to be less considerate with your speech. I find that's not the best way to make friends, personally.
(he/she/they)
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post July 3rd, 2017, 8:56 pm

GellertGPhoenix wrote:You could argue that some people are overly sensitive, and therefore it's okay to be less considerate with your speech. I find that's not the best way to make friends, personally.

People using that kind of speech on university campuses or at schools aren't trying to "make friends".
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post July 5th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Grrarrggh wrote:
GellertGPhoenix wrote:You could argue that some people are overly sensitive, and therefore it's okay to be less considerate with your speech. I find that's not the best way to make friends, personally.

People using that kind of speech on university campuses or at schools aren't trying to "make friends".

You're quite right; they are trying to make followers.

Friends are better than followers.

It's also not the best way to make followers, though. If you're trying to be a leader you want appeal to the most people possible. That's why politicians contradict themselves so often.:roll:
People often respect considerate people, especially when it involves themselves.
(he/she/they)
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post July 5th, 2017, 8:47 pm

^ ummm, wow. That is both sweet and dangerously naïve.
<<

Assassin

ANBU
ANBU

Post October 1st, 2017, 5:24 pm

Our university once invited a particularly vitriolic speaker to speak on a controversial topic. Many students, even those who didn't agree with his views, attended the talk.. and then slayed him in the questions session.

It was, I believe, an effective way of dealing with hate and prejudice. Listen, try to understand their viewpoint the best you can, and then point out flaws or ask pointed questions about their line of reasoning. You can be surprised how 'right' they can sometimes be. This approach is much more effective than just silencing the 'opposition', and actually gives you a chance to recognize the merits of the opposition's viewpoint.

Return to Politics & News