FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Why Was Hermione Crying?

<<

Hermione999

User avatar

Violinist
Violinist

Posts: 3265

Joined: July 20th, 2008, 12:57 am

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Gender: Female

Post February 7th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Why Was Hermione Crying?

I don't know if Rowling ever mentioned why Hermione was crying when she was in the girls' bathroon when the Troll came in.
Last edited by Hermione999 on February 8th, 2009, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image ♫ ♥ ♫
Image ♪ ♥ ♪
<<

Misfit

User avatar

Metamorphmagus
Metamorphmagus

Posts: 6035

Joined: August 6th, 2008, 10:37 am

Location: Sandford, Gloucestershire

Post February 7th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Malfoy called her a mudblood in Chamber of Secrets.

I think it was because Ron was mimicing her to the Gryffindor boys.
<<

Hermione999

User avatar

Violinist
Violinist

Posts: 3265

Joined: July 20th, 2008, 12:57 am

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Gender: Female

Post February 8th, 2009, 4:40 am

Yasmine wrote:Malfoy called her a mudblood in Chamber of Secrets.

I think it was because Ron was mimicing her to the Gryffindor boys.


Oh, yeah, I forgot; Hermione was called a Mudblood in the Chamber of Secrets.

I don't know if she was crying because Ron was mimicing her to the Gryffindor Boys, though. Great thought, though.
Image
Image ♫ ♥ ♫
Image ♪ ♥ ♪
<<

Arabella

User avatar

Arabella
Arabella

Posts: 17203

Joined: June 18th, 2007, 4:21 am

Location: In my field of paper flowers

Post February 8th, 2009, 7:20 am

uh chamber of secrets hadn't happened yet...it shouldn't have anything to do with her crying in the bathroom is ss/ps. she was crying because yeah, Ron was mean to her. she was probably feeling very lonely, being in a new school and all, and in a world that was totally new to her too.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Hufflepuff Prefect
<<

GinnyX

User avatar

Mrs. George Weasley
Mrs. George Weasley

Posts: 32059

Joined: May 6th, 2007, 8:38 pm

Location: I'm in a New York state of mind.

Gender: Female

Post February 9th, 2009, 5:39 am

Yeah, she was crying because Ron was teasing her by mimicking her and saying it's not surprising she has no friends. I think it made her stop and realize, as Arabella said...
she was probably feeling very lonely, being in a new school and all, and in a world that was totally new to her too.
<<

tish08

User avatar

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Posts: 458

Joined: September 14th, 2008, 10:28 am

Location: 12 Grimmauld Place

Post February 9th, 2009, 12:17 pm

GinnyX wrote:Yeah, she was crying because Ron was teasing her by mimicking her and saying it's not surprising she has no friends. I think it made her stop and realize, as Arabella said...
she was probably feeling very lonely, being in a new school and all, and in a world that was totally new to her too.



Yeah.. I agree.. maybe she didn't expect someone to treat her that way..
Image

"I never really gave up on you,Not really. I always hoped ..."
-Ginny Weasley (HP.HBP)
<<

chorne

User avatar

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Posts: 596

Joined: January 15th, 2009, 8:43 pm

Location: United States

Post February 12th, 2009, 7:51 pm

It was because Ron was making fun of her with the others and said no wonder she did not have any friends.
Bloody Hell this is FUN!
Image
<<

Hermione999

User avatar

Violinist
Violinist

Posts: 3265

Joined: July 20th, 2008, 12:57 am

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Gender: Female

Post February 14th, 2009, 3:20 am

Oh, okay, thank you guys!

Poor Hermione.
Image
Image ♫ ♥ ♫
Image ♪ ♥ ♪
<<

Voldemort_9

User avatar

Auror
Auror

Posts: 498

Joined: July 12th, 2009, 9:37 pm

Post August 10th, 2009, 4:24 pm

This was very sad
Image
<<

Nikaday

User avatar

Third Year
Third Year

Posts: 323

Joined: October 8th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Location: Pacific Northwest

Gender: Female

Post June 9th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

Can any of you really blame Ron though? She was a total brat in first year, and a stuck up know it all. :lol:
"Their flesh shall nourish yours, their blood shall flow within you, as the beetle nourishes the lark so shall human nourish vampire."
<<

Lumiere

User avatar

Albus
Albus

Posts: 5701

Joined: June 15th, 2012, 3:18 am

Post June 9th, 2014, 11:50 pm

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

I think she was just misunderstood. :D
Image
<<

hayden_potter

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1325

Joined: January 9th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Post June 10th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

I think Hermione was trying so hard to master as much magic as she could because she thought it might win her friends in the Wizarding world. Unfortunately it had the opposite effect...
Image
Image
<<

stefanvh

User avatar

Quidditch Player
Quidditch Player

Posts: 2030

Joined: April 30th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Location: London, UK

Gender: Male

Post July 12th, 2014, 9:04 pm

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

Ron's reaction was exaggerated 'no wonder she's got no friends', but I don't think that Hermione was blameless. Just my view. Anyway it turned out well... :)
Image
Thanks to Lumiere for this!

Harry/Ginny 4ever <3

Pottermore username: StoneSnitch10208

Mod of /r/HarryandGinny

Image
<<

Rav

User avatar

Pub Bar Keep
Pub Bar Keep

Posts: 10365

Joined: July 25th, 2007, 11:13 am

Post July 12th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

I think that she was upset because both the pressures of her studies and that she felt betrayed by Ron. However I also feel that she had feelings for that racist ginger and for that reason it stung more.
<<

torrent56

First Year
First Year

Posts: 182

Joined: May 2nd, 2016, 6:20 am

Gender: Male

Post May 10th, 2016, 11:50 am

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

Ron didn't imitate Hermione in the book, it was an add-on in the movie.

Rav wrote:I think that she was upset because both the pressures of her studies and that she felt betrayed by Ron. However I also feel that she had feelings for that racist ginger and for that reason it stung more.


I agree with what you said except for the racist part. What is your evidence that he is a racist? I thought it was always him defending the Muggle-born Hermione against real racists like Malfoy?

Seriously hate Ron all you like nobody can stop you but don't go around making lies about him.
Last edited by torrent56 on May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Sugar quill

User avatar

Second Year
Second Year

Posts: 275

Joined: May 22nd, 2015, 6:00 pm

Gender: Female

Post May 10th, 2016, 3:21 pm

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

Ron truly didn't imitate her in the book. But the situation for her was the same - she was lonely and had no friends. I know how horrible that was for me in normal school, and just imagine that in a boarding school for an eleven year old! She couldn't even go home to her parents.
"The pen is mightier than the paving-stone."
~ Oscar Wilde, The Soul of Man Under Socialism
Image
<<

torrent56

First Year
First Year

Posts: 182

Joined: May 2nd, 2016, 6:20 am

Gender: Male

Post June 4th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

Sugar quill wrote:Ron truly didn't imitate her in the book. But the situation for her was the same - she was lonely and had no friends. I know how horrible that was for me in normal school, and just imagine that in a boarding school for an eleven year old! She couldn't even go home to her parents.

I totally agree with what you said, especially when we consider Hermione would have few if any friends at all even before Hogwarts since she wasn't exactly endearing to her peers at that time.
<<

KaitlynMacKay

User avatar

Squib
Squib

Posts: 59

Joined: May 27th, 2016, 5:36 pm

Post June 7th, 2016, 9:53 am

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

Ron doesn't acknowledge his priviledges (ironically, because he was raised in a family where blood wasn't important, so he can't comprehend that it sometimes does, not in terms of value, but in terms of basic knowledge). he was raised in the wizarding world, so he knew about everything about it without ever having to study for it.

Hermione, on the other hand, had no option but to learn everything through books as she likely hadn't met any other witch or wizard before her first trip to Diagon Alley.She gets so much hate for just trying to understand who she is. obviously she's too smug about her new-found knowledge, but she's probably only trying to fit in with all the other, from her point of view.

If anything (although i'm aware that it's a literary device so that the reader learns everything as he does), i feel that Harry is being way to shallow about the whole thing. ----You're a wizard
-ok, well i'll just go with the flow and won't try to learn anything about this brand new world i'm now living in...
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1885

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post June 7th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

KaitlynMacKay wrote:Ron doesn't acknowledge his priviledges (ironically, because he was raised in a family where blood wasn't important, so he can't comprehend that it sometimes does, not in terms of value, but in terms of basic knowledge). he was raised in the wizarding world, so he knew about everything about it without ever having to study for it.

Hermione, on the other hand, had no option but to learn everything through books as she likely hadn't met any other witch or wizard before her first trip to Diagon Alley.She gets so much hate for just trying to understand who she is. obviously she's too smug about her new-found knowledge, but she's probably only trying to fit in with all the other, from her point of view.

If anything (although i'm aware that it's a literary device so that the reader learns everything as he does), i feel that Harry is being way to shallow about the whole thing. ----You're a wizard
-ok, well i'll just go with the flow and won't try to learn anything about this brand new world i'm now living in...


I don't think she's disliked because she's insatiably curious about her new circumstances.

I always felt Harry didn't do to much digging into the wizarding world because he didn't have the tools to, he was too busy just trying to survive and possibly because he wasn't sure how long he was going to be involved in it. He felt that maybe all this was too good to be true and would be snatched away so why get to involved?
Image
<<

vladsandu2000

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 14

Joined: August 7th, 2016, 9:25 am

Location: Romania

Gender: Male

Post August 7th, 2016, 11:21 am

Why Was Hermione Crying?

Because Ron was making fun of her, after the Charms class. "It's levio-sa, not leviosa"
<<

Deitus

User avatar

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Posts: 736

Joined: August 2nd, 2016, 5:06 pm

Location: USA

Gender: Male

Post August 8th, 2016, 4:20 pm

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

Yes, she puff up her knowledge and skills. However, I think it is overcompensation for being brand new to the world, and trying desperatly to fit in a world she didnt grow up in.

Maybe she thought no one would attack her background if she showed she was an excellent witch?
Image
Image
<<

Pensieve Seeker

Squib
Squib

Posts: 80

Joined: February 10th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Gender: Female

Post February 12th, 2017, 3:33 am

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

I think it may be because she regretted how she snapped at Ron in Charms class.
<<

SCampo98

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 24

Joined: May 8th, 2017, 4:54 am

Gender: Male

Post May 9th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

Hermione999 wrote:I don't know if Rowling ever mentioned why Hermione was crying when she was in the girls' bathroon when the Troll came in.


Not sure if it was already mentioned but when they were walking through eh courtyard, Ron was talking about how much he disliked her and she overheard him. She walked by him pretty fast and began crying. I'm pretty sure the movie also portrays this exactly the same as the book.
<<

Ryan Owling

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 11

Joined: May 5th, 2017, 2:52 am

Gender: Male

Post May 19th, 2017, 4:07 am

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

Because Ron was making fun of her for correcting him in Charms class.
<<

Goblet of Fire

First Year
First Year

Posts: 185

Joined: June 7th, 2017, 1:29 am

Gender: Female

Post June 16th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Re: Why Was Hermione Crying?

Makes me wonder if Harry wasn't there, would Ron and Hermione be friends? Harry was the one worried about saving Hermione - Ron only backed him up...I'm glad they became friends but if Harry never existed, would they be friends?
Next

Return to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest