FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Overweighht People

<<

angelusmalfoy

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post August 6th, 2011, 9:15 am

JKR has no right to talk about the glorification of unhealthily underweight women in some sections of the media, because there's a fat boy in her books.

There have been several variants of this story, all of which were written by people who had either never read past chapter two of 'Philosopher's Stone', or chose simply to ignore what the rest of us fondly term 'facts'. I thought of listing all the many characters in the Harry Potter books who are on the plumper side, to demonstrate what a very diverse group of personalities they are, how they include several of my most important, admirable and lovable characters, and how 'overweight' in no way equates to 'bad' in my fictional world... but Andy from Mugglenet has done it for me. See http://www.mugglenet.com/infosection/op ... tfem.shtml. Andy, I really owe you, because I've used the time you saved me to type up half a chapter instead!

http://www.jkrowling.com
<<

Rubeus Hagrid

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 14th, 2011, 3:28 am

The Dursleys are the only I can think of. I suppose Crabbe is, but he is just supposed to be a big guy. He is kinda in a way like Malfoy's Bodyguard. (Along with Goyle)
<<

Monox D. I-Fly

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post September 12th, 2011, 10:25 am

I, personally, think about it this way: Generally, in school, overweight people tend to take advantage of their body size by threatening the others. They tend to bully them, since they think others can't beat them up. However, it can't be treated as stereotype because there are also many overweight people who are good, anyway.
<<

Alithyra

Squib
Squib

Post December 18th, 2011, 8:53 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:I, personally, think about it this way: Generally, in school, overweight people tend to take advantage of their body size by threatening the others. They tend to bully them, since they think others can't beat them up. However, it can't be treated as stereotype because there are also many overweight people who are good, anyway.

I agree with it for Crabbe. About Dudley, I just think it's a way to say he has everything he wants, including food.
<<

OmegaDirection

Squib
Squib

Post December 18th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Neville was supposed to be chubby as well.. And he wasn't a bully.
Evil Depends On Which Side You're On.
<<

hpisamediocrebookseries

First Year
First Year

Post December 19th, 2011, 1:19 am

Because fat people are lazy and apathy is next to malevolence. Therefore, all fat people are evil. QED
<<

Alithyra

Squib
Squib

Post December 19th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Hm... fat people are not always lazy. Sometimes they have a disease or something like that--but I guess JKR would have specified it :?
<<

hermod

Second Year
Second Year

Post March 29th, 2012, 5:34 pm

If we go by the books rather than the movies:

Dudley Dursley and Slughorn are described as morbidly obese which is probably a metaphor for both of them being very self-centered.

Uncle Vernon is just described as being round of face with no neck and is probably fat, but not that obese.

Molly Wesley is "dumpy" but not necessarily ugly.

Petunia Evans Dursley is very skinny with a long neck (and probably horse-faced").

Hagrid is part giant and is just big in all dimensions and not necessarily fat.

Charley Weasley is very round and compact (takes after Molly rather than Arthur).

Hermione is rather plain with large front teeth until she undergoes a transformation in book 4 (GOF).

After her first kid, Ginny will look like Molly.

Crabbe and Goyle are described as being large of size, dumb, and mean and not necessarily fat.

Umbridge is "toadlike" and probably dumpy.

Neville was immature and probably had a lot of 'baby fat" which he lost as he matured.

Professor Sprout and Hannah Abbott were dumpy.

Millicent Bulstrode was just ugly and Pansy looked "hard".

Rowle was just big as was Fenrir Grayback.

Peter Pettigrew was "small and round".

I think that Dudley and Slughorn were the only "see them and laugh" type fatties in the books.
It was said that if you gave a million monkeys typewriters and let them type for eternity, eventually they would reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the internet, we now know this isn't true.
<<

Rosey678

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Post September 6th, 2012, 7:56 pm

I see what you mean in some ways...Others...nah...
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

SnapeKillsDumbledore

Muggle
Muggle

Post October 5th, 2012, 1:16 am

Slughorn Was the Most Obese character and WE al Know how that Turnt out Diodint we ? :dumbledore: :hagrid: Hagrid was nt Obese as Stated in the Novel He was He had Big Skin
<<

Rosey678

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Post October 5th, 2012, 3:13 am

though if you think about it. The dursleys were not really, "Bad" per say. They just didn't like Harry that much. Sure they were mean but if you compare them to the other evil people. Big diffrence.
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

paceamore

Muggle
Muggle

Post November 16th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Even if Rowling had some issue with overweight people, it wouldn't have affected the overall plot of the book in any real way, so I don't see why it matters.
It's real for us
<<

arunendu

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post December 1st, 2013, 5:39 am

Re: Overweighht People

She made only dudley,vernon and goyle as overweight not anybody else.So saying that all bad people are overweight is not true. :)
<<

DarkSage

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 2nd, 2014, 9:55 am

I don't think JK Rowling had anything against overweight people. There were some evil characters who just happened to be overweight...
<<

user224

First Year
First Year

Post January 2nd, 2014, 10:49 am

Nagini's Spirit
Ron also hates overweight people as well as black people.

Evidence please from the books not your opinion.
<<

Monox D. I-Fly

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post December 27th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Re:

SnapeKillsDumbledore wrote:Slughorn Was the Most Obese character and WE al Know how that Turnt out Diodint we ? :dumbledore: :hagrid: Hagrid was nt Obese as Stated in the Novel He was He had Big Skin

I thought he said big bone, not big skin.
The Most Legendary Anti-Hero in Literature History
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post February 16th, 2017, 9:06 pm

How about we just go back to the old witches, usually evil and unattractive. Green Skin and warts.
We just got snake-man.
Do you think Harry should've killed Voldemort with a bucket of water??
Azkaban got rid of the Dementors, I wonder if they were replaced with Flying Monkeys?

Muggles - Well Dudley saw how terrible he was from the Dementor and he redeemed also losing weight.
Harry describes all of Dudley's gang as big (but Piers wasn't fat)
Marge was nasty whacked Harry around the shins with her walking stick when he was four years old to stop him beating Dudley at Musical statues. (It was Dudley's fifth birthday). Just the Muggle Umbridge.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
Previous

Return to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone