FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What Books Changed Your Life?

<<

Meanoux

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post January 4th, 2017, 9:53 pm

What Books Changed Your Life?

While some of these don't make it into my top ten books, they are the ones that left me thinking, and the ones that I still think about years later.

Middlesex: This book was a turning point for me, I read it while I was in my junior year of high school. For me, an extremely sheltered person with a strong conservative upbringing, it was unnerving and unsettling at first, but it gave me a new perspective on the world, creating areas of grey where there had only been black and white before.

Les Miserables: This book was a test of dedication, as I read it pretty young. Though once I got into the rhythm of the writing I devoured it. It shows heartbreaking examples of the struggles of humanity: morals, poverty, justice, and hypocrisy are just some of the themes of this story. Rendered in careful and thorough detail.

<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post January 11th, 2017, 6:09 am

Re: What Books Changed Your Life?

Hmmm, looking back The Killer Angels which I read when I was fifteen opened me up to historical fiction which helped lead to a love of nonfiction. Off the top of my head I'd say nearly every book I've ever read has changed my life in some way.
<<

Pickett

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 21st, 2017, 5:04 am

The Phantom Tollbooth
The Giver
A Wrinkle in Time
<<

MadamPince

Time Lady
Time Lady

Post February 16th, 2017, 6:17 pm

The Reluctant Fundamentalist.

It's about a Muslim around the time of the 9/11 attack and it really makes you reevaluate how you look at people.
Before, I was one of those people who would be on the look out for single eastern looking men on flights because I would be suspicious (totally wrong, I know), but reading this book totally shown me how wrong and bad I was for thinking that way.
It's such a good book, and we are left thinking who are the radicals - The West or the East?
Currently Reading: Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave
<<

Revisium

Muggle
Muggle

Post February 20th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Waylander helped me to understand that its ok to have badness in you and to have done bad things, and that redemption is real.
<<

Sylvia

First Year
First Year

Post February 28th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Da Vinci Code and Inferno... Both by Dan Brown. I've read them over 2 years ago and I still think about them very frequently.
Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 19th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Da Vinci code changed at how I looked at religion and the Last Supper lol.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Haley

Haley
Haley

Post November 10th, 2017, 10:09 am

Stargirl changed my life because it taught me that being different is cool, lol. It had me trying out some of the stuff that she did, lol, like following people around to spy on them and form opinions about various things about them. It got me to drop coins in random places so people can pick them up, lol. :)

The guy I was following ended up grabbing me and kissing me hard on the lips, lol. I had to push him away from me, lol, and hightail it out of there, lol. :)

My Facebook: Haley Michelle Arida
My Twitter: @mcpon14

If anyone wants to add.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post November 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Haley wrote:Stargirl changed my life because it taught me that being different is cool, lol. It had me trying out some of the stuff that she did, lol, like following people around to spy on them and form opinions about various things about them. It got me to drop coins in random places so people can pick them up, lol. :)

The guy I was following ended up grabbing me and kissing me hard on the lips, lol. I had to push him away from me, lol, and hightail it out of there, lol. :)

Yes, sexual assault is hilarious. lol indeed.
<<

ferfykins

Second Year
Second Year

Post November 13th, 2017, 3:45 pm

Bible
<<

Haley

Haley
Haley

Post November 14th, 2017, 12:46 am

Grrarrggh wrote:
Haley wrote:Stargirl changed my life because it taught me that being different is cool, lol. It had me trying out some of the stuff that she did, lol, like following people around to spy on them and form opinions about various things about them. It got me to drop coins in random places so people can pick them up, lol. :)

Yes, sexual assault is hilarious. lol indeed.

Uh, not really.

But what happened to me was actually pretty hilarious to me, though, because I felt like a stalker, Nemesis from Resident Evil, and then it got turned on me, lol. Imagine in Resident Evil, if Jill Valentine turned around, grabbed Nemesis, threw him down on the ground, and started making love to him for carnal pleasure, lol. :)

My Facebook: Haley Michelle Arida
My Twitter: @mcpon14

If anyone wants to add.

Return to Books