FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Why I don't think James Potter "changed" that much!

<<

olive7

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 11th, 2017, 6:21 pm

Why I don't think James Potter "changed" that much!

Before I start, I just wanted to say that I don't ship Snily (although I liked their early friendship) and even though Snape is a lot of fun to read and did brave things, I acknowledge that he's an asshole.

Lately I see that some people are defending James, always ALWAYS saying how in the end he "grew up". Now, I don't deny that he did reduced his arrogant personality a little bit (otherwise I don't think Lily would be with him), but once I read Snape's Worst Memory and Prince's Tale again, I have some doubts about the whole dramatic change.

In SWM we see (chronologically) that James and Sirius started the fight (bullying), Snape expected the attack so he search for his wand, Sirius disarmed him and threw a hex at him, Snape was of course angry so he started swearing at them, James (our Prince) didn't like that so he cast a hex that made bubbles come out of Snape's mouth - making him gag and CHOKING HIM, Lily came, Snape slashed James's face (because Snape of course doesn't have a right to attact someone who attacted him just minutes before, I mean how dare he hex his face!), Snape called Lily Mudblood, Lily (rightfully) got angry and left them, and James may or may not took of Snape's underwear (talk about sexual harassment James!), etc ect you know the story. :)

In Prince's Tale we see as Lily and Snape are talking, that BEFORE Snape's Worst Memory happened, there was the Werewolf Prank. We also know what happened there- Sirius was the ultimate insensitive psychotic idiot, Remus the ultimate victim, James a hero and Snape an idiot. James managed to save Snape beacuse he's not a killer (although there isn't anything in the world that's gonna convince me that he also didn't do that beacuse Sirius will be in HUGE trouble and Remus will be blamed), but he did save him.

My problem is: If the Werewolf prank happened before SWM (it did), WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY did James had to start the whole SWM incident? When the PRANK happened James witnessed something horrible, inexcusable, an attempted murder. That alone should be a realisation to quit things with Snape (with other people he hexed also), Snape- their worst enemy, now knew their biggest secret - Remus was a werewolf, a lot of thing could go wrong, Snape could tell someone (even though Dumbledore made him swear he won't)... Imagine how Snape was feeling: terrified, ANGRY, in his eyes they ALL tried to kill him! Wouldn't it trigged something in James, some feeling about what almost happened? And now he (our beloved, awsome James) decieded to start a fight with Snape along with Sirius, like nothing happened, everything was dandy -We tried to kill and saved Snape, let's now bully him a little!! Right in front of their "friend" Remus. SNAPE KNEW REMUS'S SECRET AND THEY STILL DECIED TO MAKE FUN OFF HIM AND HEX HIM.

For me it doesn't make any sense. So what made him change in the end? Lily? Most pathetic excuse. Someone may say because he got married and had a kid. PUHLEASE, how many immature people get marry and get a kid, you think THAT changed him? LOL
I DO think that he wasn't AS ARROGANT AS before, but he still possesed a lot of that previous personality. Remus and Sirius assure Harry that he "deflated his head a bit", but to me it wasn't that strong argument. Sirius is basically in love with James, and Remus is too kind to say anything bad to Harry about his dead father.

I think that IF James lived much longer, he would have been more mature than both Sirius and Snape. Fact is, he died when he was 21 and honestly I just don't buy that whole "saint Potter" personality he gained later on.
<<

The Librarian

Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall
Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall

Post September 11th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Re: Why I don't think James Potter "changed" that much!

What you say about James, and Sirius, here is true, because all that did happened. It is quite angled and one sided as you entirely victimize Snape, and more or less make him sound innocent. This is despite that Lily clearly, and loudly, points out that he had been doing bad things with his death eater friends for years,something she until then had tried to defend him for, always trying to hold on to the good side of him. But I digress, the topic of how Snape was just as bad and an equal part of the problem is something I will keep to the correct thread.

You are by all means entitled to your own perception, but a personal perception is not a fact. Claiming that Lily could not be a part of him changing to be pathetic only shows your own preconceived views and opinions. I don't know if providing facts will change that if you have already made up your mind based on what you wish it to be.

First of Lily strongly objected, disliked and was against how James acted and was in his younger years. She did not gave him a free ticket from any of it. As long as he acted that way, she DID reject him. You can dislike James as much as you want, but selling out Lily, as if she suddenly would change and be okay with that only to keep blaming James is wrong. James had to change if he wanted a chance with Lily, and in his eyes she was worth it and he started to change. And yes, I said started, as if that he hadn't changed completely for the better while he still was at Hogwarts. But a teenage James at school, is a different James than the one that was married and had a child.

But the major facts are the thoughts and outright spoken comments made by people such as Dumbledore, McGonagall, Remus and other people who actually knew him the years after Hogwarts. Don't even bother to try claiming that they are biased, because neither Mcgonagall, Dumbledore or Remus would abide by that. They outright said that he grew up ro be a great and honorable man. Your own wish and perception does not change that. Only one single characters says otherwise, and that is Snape. Who ironically also showed us to be that one person who didn't grew past it.

I never will deny that James was a bully, just as with Sirius. Because they were bullies. The difference that I also want highlight in their behavior is the social problems in the wizarding world. James, spoiled as he might be, also grew up as a good person, fully believing that every one were equal regardless of blood status. He as a pure blood did not consider him self above a muggle born, or though less of a half bloods. He judged people on actions and views that they them self stood for.

So due to what views and actions done by characters such as Snape, Lucius, McNair and all the others future Deatheaters had, there was never going to be any peace. Because these were two sided that ultimately would war and claim hundreds of lives. The major factor to the hatred between James and Snape was not Lily. because in their earlier years neither of the liked her romantically. The major factor for their hatred was the pure-blood agenda where Snape sided with the views of Voldemort and James against it. That is a fact, and also stand as the fact to why Snape also lost Lily's friendship after years of her trying to make excuses for him.

All this can be found in the books. Do with it as you wish.
I support canon because I have actually read the books and seen what they feel and whom they love.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 11th, 2017, 10:09 pm

^ said it all and perfectly.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 13th, 2017, 6:08 am

Werewolf prank happened after SWM. He had suspicions about Lupin at that point.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.

Return to The Great Hall