FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Can the sorting hat see into the past?

<<

Vio4n

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 11th, 2017, 1:34 am

Can the sorting hat see into the past?

I've read theories where the sorting hat could possibly see into the future, but what about a student's past memories/experiences? It almost implies it in the Sorcerer's Stone when the hat comments that Harry exhibits a "nice thirst to prove yourself." Harry obviously didn't state that in the moment and probably has thought about it before or simply felt that way, but what if he thought about that specifically in a past time and the hat flipped through the files of memories in his brain and took a peek?
<<

ferfykins

First Year
First Year

Post September 11th, 2017, 1:39 am

Re: Can the sorting hat see into the past?

Vio4n wrote:I've read theories where the sorting hat could possibly see into the future, but what about a student's past memories/experiences? It almost implies it in the Sorcerer's Stone when the hat comments that Harry exhibits a "nice thirst to prove yourself." Harry obviously didn't state that in the moment and probably has thought about it before or simply felt that way, but what if he thought about that specifically in a past time and the hat flipped through the files of memories in his brain and took a peek?

I'd say looking into the past is entirely possible... but only to people who are wearing the hat.
<<

Vio4n

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 11th, 2017, 1:41 am

ferfykins wrote:
Vio4n wrote:I've read theories where the sorting hat could possibly see into the future, but what about a student's past memories/experiences? It almost implies it in the Sorcerer's Stone when the hat comments that Harry exhibits a "nice thirst to prove yourself." Harry obviously didn't state that in the moment and probably has thought about it before or simply felt that way, but what if he thought about that specifically in a past time and the hat flipped through the files of memories in his brain and took a peek?

I'd say looking into the past is entirely possible... but only to people who are wearing the hat.

Of course, that is what I meant. I thought it could but it' s something that's not really discussed a whole lot.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 11th, 2017, 11:38 am

I think it can only see the memories the person wearing it holds.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 11th, 2017, 2:56 pm

I dont think it really sees the past or the future...i think maybe it more gets an idea of the person that yo are and what you will become. I dont think it really "sees" the future

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

MarsUltor

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post September 12th, 2017, 5:09 am

I definitely agree with GinChaser.

Return to The Great Hall