FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Slytherin

<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1001

Joined: August 5th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Post November 4th, 2014, 11:31 am

Slytherin

Why are some of the fandom such big babies over Slytherin?
Not all of them are evil.
Severus Snape turned out to be good but he's unpleasant.
Hoarse Slughorn is a good Slytherin.
Andromeda Tonks married a muggleborn and is the mother of Tonks who married a werewolf and had a child.
They even get a good image in the epilogue (Harry told his son) which some of the fandom are also big babies about.

Slytherins bad image doesn't bother me its the house of many of the bad guys. (except for Gryffindor Wormtail) I don't read as much fanfiction as the Slytherin lovers either.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

Haley

User avatar

Haley
Haley

Posts: 13902

Joined: February 12th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA

Gender: Female

Post November 4th, 2014, 10:21 pm

Re: Slytherin

How about all of the the Slytherins who go about their business and are generally liked by everyone and are generally not considered evil by anyone but whom are not mentioned in the books or movies at all ?
Image

My Facebook: Haley Michelle Arida
My Twitter: @mcpon14

If anyone wants to add.
<<

Monox D. I-Fly

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Posts: 885

Joined: September 12th, 2011, 10:00 am

Location: Indonesia

Post July 27th, 2017, 5:17 am

Re: Slytherin

kingirl89 wrote:Why are some of the fandom such big babies over Slytherin?
Not all of them are evil.
Severus Snape turned out to be good but he's unpleasant.
Hoarse Slughorn is a good Slytherin.
Andromeda Tonks married a muggleborn and is the mother of Tonks who married a werewolf and had a child.
They even get a good image in the epilogue (Harry told his son) which some of the fandom are also big babies about.

Slytherins bad image doesn't bother me its the house of many of the bad guys. (except for Gryffindor Wormtail) I don't read as much fanfiction as the Slytherin lovers either.


I think they are just casual fans who only watch the movies.
Image
The Most Legendary Anti-Hero in Literature History
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Posts: 576

Joined: July 4th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Location: Istanbul/Turkey

Gender: Male

Post July 27th, 2017, 11:53 am

Re: Slytherin

Be honest.

1) All Slyhterins in books supported Dark Lord or his ideas at least for a certain time except Andromeda Tonks and Horace Slughorn. It's like 100 vs. 2

2) Severus Snape turned against Dark Lord because of his love for a woman, not because he was a very good person and can't take what Voldemort wants from him anymore.

3) When Voldemort wanted Harry to be surrendered, few Slyhterins were the first to respond. None of Slyhterins backed Harry.

4) There were no Slyhterin student or any old Slyhterin (except Horace Slughorn) supported Harry's side.

5) Harry saved Draco Malfoy yet Draco betrayed Harry again. In the end, he was still NEUTRAL. Not at Harry's side.

So we can say MOST Slyhterins are either evil or neutral.
<<

The Librarian

User avatar

Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall
Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall

Posts: 1665

Joined: May 26th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Location: Sweden

Gender: Male

Post July 27th, 2017, 6:53 pm

Re: Slytherin

The whole damn house was created on the views that some people are worth less based on blood. Hell, when Salzar Slytherin couldn't get his will done by forbidding muggle born to ever learn there, he went as far as constructing a secret chamber and hiding one of the deadliest creatures there with the intent on killing children who did not have pure blood. That is his legacy, and thus also his house.

So while not all people in Slytherin are bad, bad people do chose Slytherin because it is a house created on foul views and opinions towards people who isn't pure blooded.
I support canon because I have actually read the books and seen what they feel and whom they love.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 2025

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post July 27th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Re: Slytherin

Meta reason: Because Jo didn't write the stories well enough or with enough nuances. Say afterwards, with no literary proof, that there were Syltherins who fought for the goodies at the Battle of Hogwarts doesn't make it so.
Image
<<

SlytherChic

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 18

Joined: November 9th, 2017, 4:36 am

Gender: Female

Post November 10th, 2017, 3:36 am

Re: Slytherin

I think Rowling just had it in for Slytherin from the very start, and that attitude trickled down to the readers.
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Posts: 576

Joined: July 4th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Location: Istanbul/Turkey

Gender: Male

Post November 10th, 2017, 4:16 am

Re: Slytherin

Rowling created Slyhterin.
<<

sportshp

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 10

Joined: November 30th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Post November 30th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Re: Slytherin

MarsUltor wrote:Rowling created Slyhterin.


Exactly. This House was her creation. I respect her creation and how she has portrayed the House.
<<

ZookTheMagpie

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 18

Joined: November 29th, 2017, 5:38 am

Gender: Male

Post December 1st, 2017, 8:45 am

Re: Slytherin

The books are also through Harry's point of view and the first thing he hears about the house is that its bad, I do belive that there is a fairly reasonable chance that Harry had ended up in Slytherin house if he had gone to the sorting without knowing anything. Then comes Draco and his gang, and Snape, which are all negative representations of Slytherin (Malfoy and his gang being bullies, and Snape having one hell of a grudge against James Potter). In other words the only times we hear about Slytherin its something bad, and what we hear is always from a very bias source.
<<

Haley

User avatar

Haley
Haley

Posts: 13902

Joined: February 12th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA

Gender: Female

Post December 1st, 2017, 9:28 am

Re: Slytherin

^ I think it is to make it palatable to kids because kids are used to distinctly good and distinctly bad. :)
Image

My Facebook: Haley Michelle Arida
My Twitter: @mcpon14

If anyone wants to add.
<<

Ponder

Squib
Squib

Posts: 86

Joined: April 13th, 2016, 10:45 am

Post December 3rd, 2017, 7:44 pm

Re: Slytherin

kingirl89 wrote:Why are some of the fandom such big babies over Slytherin?
Not all of them are evil.
Severus Snape turned out to be good but he's unpleasant.
Hoarse Slughorn is a good Slytherin.
Andromeda Tonks married a muggleborn and is the mother of Tonks who married a werewolf and had a child.
They even get a good image in the epilogue (Harry told his son) which some of the fandom are also big babies about.

Slytherins bad image doesn't bother me its the house of many of the bad guys. (except for Gryffindor Wormtail) I don't read as much fanfiction as the Slytherin lovers either.


Why are some Slytherin-fans such crybabies over the fact that Slytherin is the evil house?
Nearly all evil people in the books were Slytherins, with few exceptions from other houses. So why should the fandom thread the same as the other houses. An exception from the rule doesn't change the rule one way or the other.

ZookTheMagpie wrote:The books are also through Harry's point of view and the first thing he hears about the house is that its bad, I do belive that there is a fairly reasonable chance that Harry had ended up in Slytherin house if he had gone to the sorting without knowing anything. Then comes Draco and his gang, and Snape, which are all negative representations of Slytherin (Malfoy and his gang being bullies, and Snape having one hell of a grudge against James Potter). In other words the only times we hear about Slytherin its something bad, and what we hear is always from a very bias source.


No I don't think there was a real chance for Harry to end in Slytherin. The first thing the hat noticed about Harry is 'a lot of courage' and after that he mentions some attributes for the other houses. Harry is the one that first mention Slytherin in that conversation, by not wanting to go there. Only after that did the hat seem to consider Slytherin, but more in a way to bait Harry. The only thing about Harry at that time that pointed to Slytherin was the part of Voldemort's soul in him and I really don't think that the hat would confuse that foreign piece with Harry's true character.
A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been universally established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon or three normal-sized billiard balls.
chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized
~ Terry Pratchett
<<

ZookTheMagpie

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 18

Joined: November 29th, 2017, 5:38 am

Gender: Male

Post December 3rd, 2017, 7:52 pm

Re: Slytherin

Ponder wrote:No I don't think there was a real chance for Harry to end in Slytherin. The first thing the hat noticed about Harry is 'a lot of courage' and after that he mentions some attributes for the other houses. Harry is the one that first mention Slytherin in that conversation, by not wanting to go there. Only after that did the hat seem to consider Slytherin, but more in a way to bait Harry. The only thing about Harry at that time that pointed to Slytherin was the part of Voldemort's soul in him and I really don't think that the hat would confuse that foreign piece with Harry's true character.

Ah, think you are right on that one. Saw the movie more recently then the book so I might have gotten it confused. Just doubled checked the scene from the movie too. You are right on all points, got no idea what I was thinking
<<

Ponder

Squib
Squib

Posts: 86

Joined: April 13th, 2016, 10:45 am

Post December 4th, 2017, 3:02 am

Re: Slytherin

ZookTheMagpie wrote:Ah, think you are right on that one. Saw the movie more recently then the book so I might have gotten it confused. Just doubled checked the scene from the movie too. You are right on all points, got no idea what I was thinking

Thank you for at admitting this. Far to often did people refuse to listen to reasonable arguments when trying to defend Slytherin.
A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been universally established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon or three normal-sized billiard balls.
chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized
~ Terry Pratchett
<<

Lila Bard

User avatar

The Slayer
The Slayer

Posts: 6794

Joined: October 30th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Location: The Netherlands

Post December 4th, 2017, 9:55 am

Re: Slytherin

But the point of view is still Harry's, and that is a very important aspect of the books. Harry was informed by Hagrid that Slytherins were bad. Harry witnessed Draco being a brat. Harry decided just by looking at a bunch of kids that they were an unpleasant lot. Harry then experienced Snape's wrath. From that point onward, we only read about Slytherins when they did something bad - the only thing about them Harry seemed to notice. Harry shared a classroom with Millicent Bulstrode and Daphne Greengrass for six years and we hardly know anything about them. They were part of the Inquisitorial Squad, yes, and friends with Pansy, but this is described as being part of a gang. Harry's perception, maybe? Apparently they just lived their lives the rest of those six years.
Let's keep in mind that many aspects of these books have layers. Rowling never explicitly mentioned that all the bad kids were just put in Slytherin, she just made Harry notice all the bad things the Slytherins did. Can you imagine how the Weasley twins would be described by someone who was the victim of their pranks? Had the books been from someone else's point of view, Fred and George may have been perceived as the bad guys.
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Posts: 576

Joined: July 4th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Location: Istanbul/Turkey

Gender: Male

Post December 4th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Re: Slytherin

You already told they were from Inquisitorial Squad. That's enough for them being bad (not evil but bad people)

Slyhterins are either evil or spoiled brat or neutral. Only few of them are okay.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 2025

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post December 4th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Re: Slytherin

Slytherins for the most part weren't even neutral. They were on their own side. Narcissa, Slughorn, Snape... all out for themselves, not neutral.
Image
<<

Haley

User avatar

Haley
Haley

Posts: 13902

Joined: February 12th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA

Gender: Female

Post December 5th, 2017, 2:28 am

Re: Slytherin

Grrarrggh wrote:Slytherins for the most part weren't even neutral. They were on their own side. Narcissa, Slughorn, Snape... all out for themselves, not neutral.


I think that Voldemort exploited what ever mild stick-to-it-ness that all Slytherins had towards each other and up it big time as part of the effort to gather loyal Death Eaters, and that trickled down, lol. :)
Image

My Facebook: Haley Michelle Arida
My Twitter: @mcpon14

If anyone wants to add.
<<

Lila Bard

User avatar

The Slayer
The Slayer

Posts: 6794

Joined: October 30th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Location: The Netherlands

Post December 7th, 2017, 8:57 am

Re: Slytherin

MarsUltor wrote:You already told they were from Inquisitorial Squad. That's enough for them being bad (not evil but bad people)

Slyhterins are either evil or spoiled brat or neutral. Only few of them are okay.

That's bad, yes. But nobody liked them in the first place. During fourth year, they would have just been described as bad for no reason. Imagine four years of being seen as the bad kid for no reason other than the opinion of an enchanted piece of clothing. That's a self-fulfilling prophecy waiting to happen. I doubt all the kids placed in Slytherin were bad to begin with, or even neutral. Many of them might have been good kids until they were sorted.

Not Draco though. :lol:
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 2025

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post December 7th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Re: Slytherin

^ yet another reason sorting, especially at aged eleven, as the first thing done at a new boarding school, is stupid and harmful.
Image

Return to The Great Hall

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest