FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Costume Design Help

<<

manicwix

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 1

Joined: February 26th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Location: Minnesota

Gender: Non-Binary

Post February 26th, 2017, 6:41 pm

Costume Design Help

So I'm writing a fanfiction that takes place at Ilvermorny from 2008-2015. I have characters mostly down but the trouble I'm having is their uniforms.

All we really know is that there are robes that are blue and cranberry (I'm going with a slightly closer to pink shade and a mid teal-ish shade if that matters to anyone). My main issue is how it will look. My main idea for the school is that once they were considered progressive but now seem stuffy. Like the "cool" teacher who is really out of touch with kids. I've been leaning towards a style like an elongated blazer for the robes over a fairly generic school uniform but I still want it to seem more wizard-y than the Hogwarts uniforms in the movies came across. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I could add to make it seem less like a modern muggle uniform?
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1470

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post February 27th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

manicwix wrote:So I'm writing a fanfiction that takes place at Ilvermorny from 2008-2015. I have characters mostly down but the trouble I'm having is their uniforms.

All we really know is that there are robes that are blue and cranberry (I'm going with a slightly closer to pink shade and a mid teal-ish shade if that matters to anyone). My main issue is how it will look. My main idea for the school is that once they were considered progressive but now seem stuffy. Like the "cool" teacher who is really out of touch with kids. I've been leaning towards a style like an elongated blazer for the robes over a fairly generic school uniform but I still want it to seem more wizard-y than the Hogwarts uniforms in the movies came across. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I could add to make it seem less like a modern muggle uniform?


A wizards hat.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1885

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post February 27th, 2017, 10:13 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

Since it's America the likelihood is they don't wear uniforms except to play sports.
Image
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1470

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post February 28th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

Grrarrggh wrote:Since it's America the likelihood is they don't wear uniforms except to play sports.


That's not true. Private schools still use uniform's.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1885

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post February 28th, 2017, 10:28 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

Some do. And very generic uniforms at that. By in large the USA isn't fond of school uniforms.
Image
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1470

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post March 1st, 2017, 11:52 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

Grrarrggh wrote:Some do. And very generic uniforms at that. By in large the USA isn't fond of school uniforms.


I think something like Ilvermorny would be classified as a private school, so I imagine they would have uniforms in the same thought as muggle private schools or catholic schools.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1885

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post March 2nd, 2017, 12:49 am

Re: Costume Design Help

GinChaser wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:Some do. And very generic uniforms at that. By in large the USA isn't fond of school uniforms.


I think something like Ilvermorny would be classified as a private school, so I imagine they would have uniforms in the same thought as muggle private schools or catholic schools.


Quite a lot of private schools don't have uniforms and the ones that do often have very generic and none uniformy looking uniforms. More often they have dress codes if anything. Nothing like the UK.
Image
<<

GellertGPhoenix

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1322

Joined: March 20th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Gender: Non-Binary

Post March 7th, 2017, 12:29 am

Re: Costume Design Help

Well, Wizard fashions and traditions would probably differ from that of muggles. Also remember that Ilvermony (I believe) took a lot of their ideas from Hogwarts.
Image
Image
Image
(he/she/they)
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1885

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post March 7th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

The robes of Ilvermorny are blue and cranberry. The colours honour Isolt and James: blue because it was Isolt’s favourite colour and because she had wished to be in Ravenclaw house as a child; cranberry in honour of James’s love of cranberry pie. All Ilvermorny students’ robes are fastened by a gold Gordian Knot, in memory of the brooch Isolt found in the ruins of the original Ilvermorny cottage.

According to that, it seems the school already has a uniform. So why the need to invent a new one??
Image
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1470

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post March 7th, 2017, 9:08 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

Grrarrggh wrote:
GinChaser wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:Some do. And very generic uniforms at that. By in large the USA isn't fond of school uniforms.


I think something like Ilvermorny would be classified as a private school, so I imagine they would have uniforms in the same thought as muggle private schools or catholic schools.


Quite a lot of private schools don't have uniforms and the ones that do often have very generic and none uniformy looking uniforms. More often they have dress codes if anything. Nothing like the UK.


I don't think a school that teaches magic would fall into Most private schools.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1885

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post March 7th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

GinChaser wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:
GinChaser wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:Some do. And very generic uniforms at that. By in large the USA isn't fond of school uniforms.


I think something like Ilvermorny would be classified as a private school, so I imagine they would have uniforms in the same thought as muggle private schools or catholic schools.


Quite a lot of private schools don't have uniforms and the ones that do often have very generic and none uniformy looking uniforms. More often they have dress codes if anything. Nothing like the UK.


I don't think a school that teaches magic would fall into Most private schools.


Why?
Image
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1470

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post March 14th, 2017, 5:58 am

Re: Costume Design Help

Grrarrggh wrote:
GinChaser wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:
GinChaser wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:Some do. And very generic uniforms at that. By in large the USA isn't fond of school uniforms.


I think something like Ilvermorny would be classified as a private school, so I imagine they would have uniforms in the same thought as muggle private schools or catholic schools.


Quite a lot of private schools don't have uniforms and the ones that do often have very generic and none uniformy looking uniforms. More often they have dress codes if anything. Nothing like the UK.


I don't think a school that teaches magic would fall into Most private schools.


Why?


Because it fucking teaches magic that's why.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1885

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post March 14th, 2017, 7:26 am

Re: Costume Design Help

GinChaser wrote: I don't think a school that teaches magic would fall into Most private schools.


Grrarrggh wrote:[Why?


GinChaser wrote: Because it fucking teaches magic that's why.


But to the students and teachers that is normal. So it has nothing to do with whether or not there would be uniforms.
Image
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1470

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post March 14th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

I'm well aware that it's normal...

But 54% of American Private Schools require uniforms of some kind...which in and of itself is unspectacular, but if you consider that 73% of Private schools with attendance between 500 and 999 requires uniform's that makes more sense. Only 44% of private schools with attendance below 100 have uniforms.

Considering that your an educator, I'm surprised you didnt know that.

I don't even know why we are arguing about this. The author herself has said that the Ilvermorny School students wear uniforms. I would place it into the 500-999 category of private schools, considering that Hogwarts has an attendance of 1000.

You know, sometimes I wonder about you. It's like a lot of times you just disagree to disagree. It's bordetime trolling.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1885

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post March 14th, 2017, 8:41 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

I have no idea how many students the school has. As for the number of private schools with uniforms, as I said, a lot of those schools have dress codes not uniforms or very bland uniforms. It isn't the American way it seems to be bold in school uniforms as it is in Britain.

It takes two to "argue". When one person does it it's called expressing opinion. When a second person questions that opinion it becomes a discussion unless one of those two people turns it into an argument. Sounds like you're trolling me because you don't agree with my opinions.
Image
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1470

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post March 14th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

Grrarrggh wrote:I have no idea how many students the school has. As for the number of private schools with uniforms, as I said, a lot of those schools have dress codes not uniforms or very bland uniforms. It isn't the American way it seems to be bold in school uniforms as it is in Britain.

It takes two to "argue". When one person does it it's called expressing opinion. When a second person questions that opinion it becomes a discussion unless one of those two people turns it into an argument. Sounds like you're trolling me because you don't agree with my opinions.


It's one thing to profess and opinion. It's totally another to try and pass that off as fact. Which is what you are trying to do.

You are trying to pass off that most US private school's don't have a uniform. Well they do. To the tune of 54%...and that's not a strict dress code, that's a uniform.

You said by and large the US isn't fond of uniforms...also not true. A lot of US schools...especially in the inner city areas enforce either a very strict dress code or a uniform.

And either way, Ilvermorny sounds like it follows more closely to the British system because I'm pretty sure most private schools don't sort their students into houses.

But all of this is really a moot point anyways because Ilvermorny isn't a typical private school. It's a private school that teaches magic...and if Harry Potter has taught us anything its than you can't use magic outside of school and wizards don't follow muggle fashions. So why would their school?

As for the population of the school....there are 300 million people in the US compared to 64 million in the entire United Kingdom...is there maybe a chance that there is just as many witches and wizards there as there is in Britain?

That's probably a safe assumption.


You see what I did there? I made a claim, and then backed it up.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1885

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post March 15th, 2017, 7:22 am

Re: Costume Design Help

You haven't backed up anything. Where are you getting these numbers from re private school uniforms?
Image
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1470

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post March 15th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

Grrarrggh wrote:You haven't backed up anything. Where are you getting these numbers from re private school uniforms?


Google. Go look it up.


Anyways, I'm done with that discussion. It's quite apparent that you are either unable or unwilling to see reason...so once again...we'll have to agree to disagree.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1885

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post March 15th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

GinChaser wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:You haven't backed up anything. Where are you getting these numbers from re private school uniforms?


Google. Go look it up.


Anyways, I'm done with that discussion. It's quite apparent that you are either unable or unwilling to see reason...so once again...we'll have to agree to disagree.


I did, which is why I'm wondering where you got your info.
http://www.answers.com/Q/What_percent_o ... m?#slide=2
says 24-26%

www.statisticbrain.com/school-uniform-statistics
also uses public schools so that may bring down the average per cent. Both are way under what you said but right at what I said.
Image
<<

GellertGPhoenix

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1322

Joined: March 20th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Gender: Non-Binary

Post March 22nd, 2017, 9:15 pm

Re: Costume Design Help

...And this argument matters why?

Manixwix hasn't even said anything apart from their original post... I don't see why you two are squabbling. If it matters that much to you, then you should both write your own fanfictions.
Image
Image
Image
(he/she/they)

Return to Flourish & Blotts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron