FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Book about creative writing

<<

YewDawn

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 7

Joined: September 18th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Gender: Male

Post January 6th, 2018, 8:59 pm

Book about creative writing

I want to learn about creative writing and write some fan fiction.

Which book about creative writing do you recommend?
<<

ESP Witch

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 3

Joined: January 12th, 2018, 4:03 am

Location: The Great Hall at Christmastime

Gender: Female

Post January 12th, 2018, 4:21 am

Re: Book about creative writing

As someone who has a degree in writing from university...

What book I would recommend depends on what kind of writing you want to do. For fiction, the best book I've ever read is Method and Madness: The Making of a Story by Alice LaPlante. I still go back to that book sometimes, and it's chock full of good advice.

Also, for whatever you're writing, extra research into the subject is vital. Lots of fanfic writers neglect that, but research has the potential to turn a good story into a great one.
<<

MarsUltor

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Posts: 607

Joined: July 4th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Location: Istanbul/Turkey

Gender: Male

Post January 12th, 2018, 5:52 am

Re: Book about creative writing

Writing fanfiction needs to you to read tons of fanfictions and let some time pass before you write anything (to be free from their influence)
<<

Ponder

First Year
First Year

Posts: 116

Joined: April 13th, 2016, 10:45 am

Post January 12th, 2018, 11:45 am

Re: Book about creative writing

MarsUltor wrote:Writing fanfiction needs to you to read tons of fanfictions and let some time pass before you write anything (to be free from their influence)


Why would you first have to read fanfiction to write it?
Sure most people do that, but there are fandoms where I don't really read any fanfics in, but if an idea for a story comes up, I write it down.
A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been universally established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon or three normal-sized billiard balls.
chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized
~ Terry Pratchett
<<

ESP Witch

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 3

Joined: January 12th, 2018, 4:03 am

Location: The Great Hall at Christmastime

Gender: Female

Post January 13th, 2018, 7:41 am

Re: Book about creative writing

Ponder wrote:
MarsUltor wrote:Writing fanfiction needs to you to read tons of fanfictions and let some time pass before you write anything (to be free from their influence)


Why would you first have to read fanfiction to write it?
Sure most people do that, but there are fandoms where I don't really read any fanfics in, but if an idea for a story comes up, I write it down.


I think this ultimately depends on how close to the fanon ideas of the story you want to be as a writer. If you want to be true to fanon, yes reading fanfic is necessary. If you want to diverge from fanon, reading other types of fiction might actually be more useful.
<<

Ponder

First Year
First Year

Posts: 116

Joined: April 13th, 2016, 10:45 am

Post January 13th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Re: Book about creative writing

ESP Witch wrote:
Ponder wrote:
MarsUltor wrote:Writing fanfiction needs to you to read tons of fanfictions and let some time pass before you write anything (to be free from their influence)


Why would you first have to read fanfiction to write it?
Sure most people do that, but there are fandoms where I don't really read any fanfics in, but if an idea for a story comes up, I write it down.


I think this ultimately depends on how close to the fanon ideas of the story you want to be as a writer. If you want to be true to fanon, yes reading fanfic is necessary. If you want to diverge from fanon, reading other types of fiction might actually be more useful.


Why would anyone worry about fanon?
People writing according to fanon over canon is a regrettable side effect of fanfiction culture
A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been universally established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon or three normal-sized billiard balls.
chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized
~ Terry Pratchett
<<

YewDawn

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 7

Joined: September 18th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Gender: Male

Post January 13th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Re: Book about creative writing

ESP Witch wrote:As someone who has a degree in writing from university...

What book I would recommend depends on what kind of writing you want to do. For fiction, the best book I've ever read is Method and Madness: The Making of a Story by Alice LaPlante. I still go back to that book sometimes, and it's chock full of good advice.

Also, for whatever you're writing, extra research into the subject is vital. Lots of fanfic writers neglect that, but research has the potential to turn a good story into a great one.


I think that "The Making of a Story" is great.

Then, I've got an idea that is a mix of Harry Potter and sci-fi. It would be much more sci-fi than Harry Potter.

Sure research is essential. In my case even more because I'm inventing a universe that doesn't follow any of the laws of physics our universe follows. I need inspiration.

Return to Flourish & Blotts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron