FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

(opinions needed) Character traits for different sorting

<<

watercrystals

Muggle
Muggle

Post April 6th, 2017, 2:12 pm

(opinions needed) Character traits for different sorting

So, I've started a HP story that I intend to upload at the Potions and Snitches site, but I need some opinions from fellow Potterheads in regards to Draco and Harry (who are closely related in my story).

Anyway, I have my plot-based reasons for it, but I need some help determining how and why both Draco + Harry would be sorted into Ravenclaw. Harry especially because let's be honest he's not exactly the fastest broomstick in the shed. So, if you could please tell me what traits or such you think would get Harry and Draco sorted into Ravenclaw, I'd really appreciate it. Note that these opinions can be suggestions to change things where necessary so they suit the house - such as, giving them new hobbies/interests etc. However, I don't want to alter the characters too much so they need to be realistic and natural to them (see my dilemma?). Also note that this Draco is trying to be as little like the Malfoys as possible. Draco gets sorted first, so Harry ending up in Ravenclaw as well could be influenced by that (he would want to be in the same house as Draco) but I'm not sure Ravenclaw has the same grounds of negotiation with the hat as Harry originally did in canon. Thoughts?

If you have any questions, let me know. Thanks in advance!
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 6th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Re: (opinions needed) Character traits for different sorting

watercrystals wrote:So, I've started a HP story that I intend to upload at the Potions and Snitches site, but I need some opinions from fellow Potterheads in regards to Draco and Harry (who are closely related in my story).

Anyway, I have my plot-based reasons for it, but I need some help determining how and why both Draco + Harry would be sorted into Ravenclaw. Harry especially because let's be honest he's not exactly the fastest broomstick in the shed. So, if you could please tell me what traits or such you think would get Harry and Draco sorted into Ravenclaw, I'd really appreciate it. Note that these opinions can be suggestions to change things where necessary so they suit the house - such as, giving them new hobbies/interests etc. However, I don't want to alter the characters too much so they need to be realistic and natural to them (see my dilemma?). Also note that this Draco is trying to be as little like the Malfoys as possible. Draco gets sorted first, so Harry ending up in Ravenclaw as well could be influenced by that (he would want to be in the same house as Draco) but I'm not sure Ravenclaw has the same grounds of negotiation with the hat as Harry originally did in canon. Thoughts?

If you have any questions, let me know. Thanks in advance!

Harry's a clever kid, I wouldn't sell him short. He always finds ways to slip past the Dursley's suppression, and let's be honest- he likes doing homework. He even taught his class fifth year. And, if we're being technical, he does have the fastest broomstick in the shed. :lol:
Draco is also smart in his own ways. Was it not he who figured out a way inside Hogwarts through the vanishing cabinet?

To me, however, Harry seems better fitted for Ravenclaw than Draco. Draco is cunning, yes, but he doesn't quite have the creativity that Harry does, or really the motive to learn.

Also being completely honest, I am not really a fan of Draco being er, "closely related" to Harry. So I'm probably not the best person to help you here.
(he/she/they)
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 6th, 2017, 8:35 pm

I don't think each house has different Hat rules. What works for the Hat works for all four houses. So if everything is word perfect with the original and Harry asks not Slytherin that Hat is just as likely to put him in Ravenclaw if that's where your Harry is leaning.
<<

watercrystals

Muggle
Muggle

Post April 7th, 2017, 8:17 am

GellertGPhoenix - I didn't mean Harry's dumb, he just has a tendency to miss obvious things. I believe he's very cunning and resourceful, but not necessarily intelligent in the Ravenclaw sort of way. If that makes sense? But lol - I mean, you're not wrong...He DOES have the fastest broomstick by technicality.
Your comment was very helpful. You mentioned Draco doesn't have the creativity that Harry does, though he was the one who drew that animated cartoon of Harry getting attacked by a bludger and struck by lightning during Quidditch...But it was when you mentioned his lack of motivation of learn that I can really work with. So, for the story, I could maybe give him that motivation; find something to encourage a desire to learn. I do believe this is very achievable, given the situation I'm putting him in.
Also, I only mentioned Draco and Harry are related in case there's traits they do/could share that leans them more towards Ravenclaw. That's the only relevance to the topic so no worries if that's not your personal preference :)

Grrarrggh - What I meant with "hat rules" is a bit of a fandom head canon, really, that a lot of those who end up in Gryffindor are there by choice. As in, anyone can be smart, ambitious, and loyal but bravery is generally something you must either choose to do or desire to be. I'm not explaining it in detail, given that's off-topic, but that's what I meant by Gryffindor's "hat rules". Harry didn't choose Gryffindor specifically, but choice plays a large part in being sorted to Gryffindor - not every time, just certain cases like with Hermione, Neville, Harry etc. The way I see it, Hufflepuff will (as the founder said) take anyone. I believe Slytherin and Ravenclaw to be a bit more selective, hence why I wasn't sure if Ravenclaw would be a house someone could go to simply by asking...But then again, Lockhart was in Ravenclaw so the desire to be smart could be a factor. Unless he was a smart kid and just grew up into an idiot, haha.
Apologies for the long reply, just wanted to explain a bit what I was thinking. If he is leaning more towards Ravenclaw than Gryffindor...Hmm.
(Also, love the Doctor Who in your signature - Whovians for life!)
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 7th, 2017, 7:51 pm

That's the greatness of fanfiction. You make the rules. Your head canon for the sorting sounds interesting.

Just a tiny note. In my head canon Ravenclaw wasn't necessarily the eggheads who love to study but those who were willing to think outside of the box. Letting the Hat decide out of three houses might be seen as such. No idea. It's your story. I'd be interested in reading it.
<<

watercrystals

Muggle
Muggle

Post April 9th, 2017, 7:23 am

Grrarrggh wrote:That's the greatness of fanfiction. You make the rules. Your head canon for the sorting sounds interesting.

Just a tiny note. In my head canon Ravenclaw wasn't necessarily the eggheads who love to study but those who were willing to think outside of the box. Letting the Hat decide out of three houses might be seen as such. No idea. It's your story. I'd be interested in reading it.

Oh, I agree. It's a big reason why I chose Ravenclaw because I wanted to show the house more (I love new writing challenges/angles to explore), and my head canon is that they're not the homework-loving bookworms but those who are very curious and love to explore different possibilities. Think about it, if they're only the "smart, studying house" why aren't they winning the House Cup every single year? Nope, I reckon they're the most trouble for Professors - always sneaking around doing experiments or forgetting homework in favor of things far more interesting etc. So that's what I want to show by having Draco and Harry in that house, among other plot-based reasons.

I have started it, and posted the first chapter already if you are interested in reading: http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3391
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 18th, 2017, 11:45 pm

Draco isnt actually that much of a stretch to be honest. He finishes just behind Hermione a lot of the time.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post May 17th, 2017, 1:07 am

GinChaser wrote:Draco isnt actually that much of a stretch to be honest. He finishes just behind Hermione a lot of the time.

But he wouldn't belong in Ravenclaw for the same reason that Hermione wouldn't. He lacks creativity, originality and wisdom.
(he/she/they)
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post May 19th, 2017, 2:47 pm

GellertGPhoenix wrote:
GinChaser wrote:Draco isnt actually that much of a stretch to be honest. He finishes just behind Hermione a lot of the time.

But he wouldn't belong in Ravenclaw for the same reason that Hermione wouldn't. He lacks creativity, originality and wisdom.

I wouldnt say that. He snuck a bunch of death eaters into Hogwarts.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.

Return to Flourish & Blotts