FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is anyone else against Harry & Ginny?

<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 996

Joined: August 5th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Post July 30th, 2015, 7:50 am

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

Before discovering the online fandom it would've been more understandable that the only ones to be against Harry/Ginny would be little girls that wanted to marry Harry Potter.
A fan site called Sugarquill has some good essays to prove how Harry/Hermione wouldn't match, if you can't understand it in the books or watch the films more.
If you think some quote has sank Harry/Ginny sorry but the books would have to be rewritten and just for some relationship.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

stefanvh

User avatar

Quidditch Player
Quidditch Player

Posts: 2030

Joined: April 30th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Location: London, UK

Gender: Male

Post July 30th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

kingirl89 wrote:A fan site called Sugarquill has some good essays to prove how Harry/Hermione wouldn't match


I've only ever seen one essay showing that. If you could give me some more links, that would be helpful.

kingirl89 wrote:If you think some quote has sank Harry/Ginny sorry but the books would have to be rewritten and just for some relationship.


Which quote has sunk Harry/Ginny? If you're talking about the Wonderland interview, H/G wasn't even mentioned.
Image
Thanks to Lumiere for this!

Harry/Ginny 4ever <3

Pottermore username: StoneSnitch10208

Mod of /r/HarryandGinny

Image
<<

Samovila

User avatar

Annamal
Annamal

Posts: 6800

Joined: December 21st, 2010, 6:24 pm

Location: UK

Gender: Female

Post July 30th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

I don't think JKR was doing this and that some fans have read too much into the ''In some ways Hermione and Harry are a better fit'' quote. However, I agree that what was written in the books is canon- even if the author later changes his/ her mind.

The author can make changes to the story before it goes to publication but once it reaches the public domain, the text speaks for itself. For example, if JKR suddenly told us by interview that she'd changed her mind about the name of Harry's daughter and, instead of being called Lily Luna, she (JKR) wanted to call her Hedwig, this doesn't change the fact that Harry's daughter is called Lily Luna in the HP series.

Of course, that wouldn't happen, but I hope you get my point lol.

The fact remains that JKR made it perfectly clear to the reader that Harry and Hermione love each other like a brother and sister. In some ways, my best mates are 'a better fit' for me than my best mates. For instance, we share more common interests and are probably more alike in regarding world views than my boyfriend and I. However, I love them as best friends and him as my partner.

I don't like Ginny nearly as much as I like Harry but I'm not against them as a couple. I think it's fine to 'ship' Harry and Hermione in a AU fan fic capacity (similar to the way I think that Hermione and Luna would have made a cute alternative to the canon pairings) but I don't think JKR made a 'mistake' to pair Hermione with Ron or Harry with Ginny in the actual books.
True Blue Ravenclaw
Pottermore Fan Forum Name: Samovila-FireBird
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 996

Joined: August 5th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Post July 31st, 2015, 7:50 am

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

No Harry/Hermione shippers believe that interview sank Harry/Ginny but Harry/Ginny wasn't mentioned in the interview but it didn't sink Ron/Hermione either.

lol I went on Sugarquill again yesterday to look at the essays and there was only one.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

stefanvh

User avatar

Quidditch Player
Quidditch Player

Posts: 2030

Joined: April 30th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Location: London, UK

Gender: Male

Post July 31st, 2015, 9:34 pm

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

kingirl89 wrote:but it didn't sink Ron/Hermione either.


Tbh, it did kinda blow a few holes in the ship. Not enough to make it sink, however.
Image
Thanks to Lumiere for this!

Harry/Ginny 4ever <3

Pottermore username: StoneSnitch10208

Mod of /r/HarryandGinny

Image
<<

Englishhedgehog13

Second Year
Second Year

Posts: 217

Joined: April 29th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Gender: Male

Post August 1st, 2015, 12:34 am

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

stefanvh wrote:
kingirl89 wrote:but it didn't sink Ron/Hermione either.


Tbh, it did kinda blow a few holes in the ship. Not enough to make it sink, however.


Really? Cos I didn't think there was anything that particularly hurt RonXHermione in there. I guess you could argue about Rowling commenting on them maybe needing counselling, but she phrased it in a way that sounded so casual that I didn't really think on that part too much.
<<

stefanvh

User avatar

Quidditch Player
Quidditch Player

Posts: 2030

Joined: April 30th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Location: London, UK

Gender: Male

Post August 1st, 2015, 7:00 am

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

Englishhedgehog13 wrote:
stefanvh wrote:
kingirl89 wrote:but it didn't sink Ron/Hermione either.


Tbh, it did kinda blow a few holes in the ship. Not enough to make it sink, however.


Really? Cos I didn't think there was anything that particularly hurt RonXHermione in there. I guess you could argue about Rowling commenting on them maybe needing counselling, but she phrased it in a way that sounded so casual that I didn't really think on that part too much.


No, not that. When she goes on to say that there is too little compatibility between them and while the attraction was plausible, it would be unsure if they would get over that in an adult relationship.
Image
Thanks to Lumiere for this!

Harry/Ginny 4ever <3

Pottermore username: StoneSnitch10208

Mod of /r/HarryandGinny

Image
<<

Englishhedgehog13

Second Year
Second Year

Posts: 217

Joined: April 29th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Gender: Male

Post August 1st, 2015, 12:26 pm

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

stefanvh wrote:
Englishhedgehog13 wrote:
stefanvh wrote:
kingirl89 wrote:but it didn't sink Ron/Hermione either.


Tbh, it did kinda blow a few holes in the ship. Not enough to make it sink, however.


Really? Cos I didn't think there was anything that particularly hurt RonXHermione in there. I guess you could argue about Rowling commenting on them maybe needing counselling, but she phrased it in a way that sounded so casual that I didn't really think on that part too much.


No, not that. When she goes on to say that there is too little compatibility between them and while the attraction was plausible, it would be unsure if they would get over that in an adult relationship.


That didn't really bother me, simply because it sounded like the most opinionated part of the whole article. So I pretty much just disagreed with that and moved on.
<<

Boira

User avatar

First Year
First Year

Posts: 145

Joined: July 14th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Location: Far Far Away

Gender: Female

Post August 1st, 2015, 9:13 pm

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

I'm not against them as a couple, but it may have worked better if Ginny's character had been more developed or the relationship between them built better. It gives the impression that Harry needed a gf and Gynny happens to be there "just because".

Luna would have been a good match. I'm always partial to the weird ones :wink:
<<

green86

User avatar

Squib
Squib

Posts: 97

Joined: July 22nd, 2015, 4:07 am

Location: Australia

Gender: Female

Post August 3rd, 2015, 11:50 pm

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

Boira wrote:I'm not against them as a couple, but it may have worked better if Ginny's character had been more developed or the relationship between them built better. It gives the impression that Harry needed a gf and Gynny happens to be there "just because".

Luna would have been a good match. I'm always partial to the weird ones :wink:


COMPLETELY AGREE. Seriously, when Luna was introduced, it felt to me like this was going to be THE love interest for Harry, otherwise why would they introduce her so late? Any other established character could have a father with a magazine, you know? Anyway, they are both so different, they would have worked beautifully. :harry: :luna:
"But he's there! Potter's there! Someone grab him!"
Check out my thoughts as I re-read Harry Potter! http://potterette.livejournal.com/
<<

Englishhedgehog13

Second Year
Second Year

Posts: 217

Joined: April 29th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Gender: Male

Post August 4th, 2015, 12:32 am

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

green86 wrote:
Boira wrote:I'm not against them as a couple, but it may have worked better if Ginny's character had been more developed or the relationship between them built better. It gives the impression that Harry needed a gf and Gynny happens to be there "just because".

Luna would have been a good match. I'm always partial to the weird ones :wink:


COMPLETELY AGREE. Seriously, when Luna was introduced, it felt to me like this was going to be THE love interest for Harry, otherwise why would they introduce her so late? Any other established character could have a father with a magazine, you know? Anyway, they are both so different, they would have worked beautifully. :harry: :luna:


This is weird for me to say as someone who ships it, but Harry never really understood Luna's mindset. I think if they spent more time together, it could have happened.
<<

The Librarian

User avatar

Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall
Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall

Posts: 1664

Joined: May 26th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Location: Sweden

Gender: Male

Post August 5th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

green86 wrote:
COMPLETELY AGREE. Seriously, when Luna was introduced, it felt to me like this was going to be THE love interest for Harry, otherwise why would they introduce her so late? Any other established character could have a father with a magazine, you know? Anyway, they are both so different, they would have worked beautifully. :harry: :luna:

I obviously disagree. Luna in her oddness, which we love, does not only believe in all the odd creatures, but she also lives for them. In J.K own words: "She's a naturalist, whatever the wizarding equivalent of that is." Luna went on trips all over the world to find and discover these strange creatures. That was her call, interest and personality.

J.K continues: But she isn't completely crazy. Luna came to see the truth about her father, eventually acknowledging there are some creatures that don't exist.

Harry and Luna are to different. They want different things, like different things, they believe in different things and they truly do not understand each other. Not in the way of how the other person works, thinks and act. Luna is a very good friend, but in Harry's eyes, she is wired, borderline onto crazy.

In J.K's words, Harry got what he wanted and needed in Ginny.
I support canon because I have actually read the books and seen what they feel and whom they love.
<<

hermod

Second Year
Second Year

Posts: 288

Joined: May 1st, 2009, 8:56 pm

Location: Florida

Post August 5th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

Luna and Hermione both fail to satisfy Harry's "deepest desire" as shown in the mirror Erised in the first book. Harry desperately desires and longs for a large extended family which Ginny brings as her "dowery".
It was said that if you gave a million monkeys typewriters and let them type for eternity, eventually they would reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the internet, we now know this isn't true.
<<

ginnyweasleypotter

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 27

Joined: August 5th, 2015, 8:50 am

Gender: Female

Post August 6th, 2015, 12:37 am

Re: Why are you against Harry & Ginny?

Luna is a bit too insane for me to even consider with anyone. I mean, she seems like an okay person but she's crazy. I feel sorry for Rolf lol.
<<

BloodCharm

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 33

Joined: July 20th, 2017, 11:45 pm

Gender: Male

Post July 21st, 2017, 7:00 am

Re: Is anyone else against Harry & Ginny?

I think Harry's attraction to Ginny is genuine for all the reasons people have stated already, and I don't feel that the relationship is that sudden. There are hints of his attraction to her before he sees Dean kissing her and there is plenty of development of his feelings towards her before they end up getting together. Sure, there could have been a dating scene or something like that, but it was at the end of the book when they finally got together, which I thought was a good plot device and there just wasn't any time to develop their relationship fully, especially because Harry breaks up with her, something he understandably does.
<<

RoseCat

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 9

Joined: August 6th, 2017, 10:56 am

Gender: Female

Post August 8th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Re:

cazzy_33 wrote:
Yasmine wrote:I don't hate her, I just think she's a bit Mary-Sue-ish. And I think Harry/Ginny wasn't developed enough, but I like the 'ship in general.


Hahha soooooooo agree, there was no development it was just so sudden! and she doesnt do much for me as a character just a sweet little girl haha


Yeah same! I would have much preferred Harry and Cho, especially since in the Order of the Phoenix she obviously was crushing on him :wink: :wink: :wink:
<<

Remustonks

First Year
First Year

Posts: 146

Joined: April 7th, 2016, 1:31 am

Gender: Female

Post August 9th, 2017, 2:30 am

Re: Re:

RoseCat wrote:
cazzy_33 wrote:
Yasmine wrote:I don't hate her, I just think she's a bit Mary-Sue-ish. And I think Harry/Ginny wasn't developed enough, but I like the 'ship in general.


Hahha soooooooo agree, there was no development it was just so sudden! and she doesnt do much for me as a character just a sweet little girl haha


Yeah same! I would have much preferred Harry and Cho, especially since in the Order of the Phoenix she obviously was crushing on him :wink: :wink: :wink:


The problem with Harry and Cho is she was still getting over Cedric. Long term Cho and Harry would never work out. Also to all that say Harry and Ginny was sudden, it wasn't just could have had more development to it and Ginny isn't a Mary-Sue in any way. Jo put Harry and Ginny together which means that's it. There is nothing no one can do about it. It's canon so get over it. It's fine you ship Harry with other people, but those ships will never be canon.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1894

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post August 9th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Re: Re:

RoseCat wrote:
cazzy_33 wrote:
Yasmine wrote:I don't hate her, I just think she's a bit Mary-Sue-ish. And I think Harry/Ginny wasn't developed enough, but I like the 'ship in general.


Hahha soooooooo agree, there was no development it was just so sudden! and she doesnt do much for me as a character just a sweet little girl haha


Yeah same! I would have much preferred Harry and Cho, especially since in the Order of the Phoenix she obviously was crushing on him :wink: :wink: :wink:


Who cares if she was "crushing" on him if he had no romantic feelings for her?
Image
<<

hermod

Second Year
Second Year

Posts: 288

Joined: May 1st, 2009, 8:56 pm

Location: Florida

Post August 10th, 2017, 11:26 am

Re: Re:

Grrarrggh wrote:
RoseCat wrote:
cazzy_33 wrote:
Yasmine wrote:I don't hate her, I just think she's a bit Mary-Sue-ish. And I think Harry/Ginny wasn't developed enough, but I like the 'ship in general.


Hahha soooooooo agree, there was no development it was just so sudden! and she doesnt do much for me as a character just a sweet little girl haha


Yeah same! I would have much preferred Harry and Cho, especially since in the Order of the Phoenix she obviously was crushing on him :wink: :wink: :wink:


Who cares if she was "crushing" on him if he had no romantic feelings for her?


Well, Harry did have feelings for Cho. He was fascinated by her. He reveled in the first kiss. Unfortunately, the reality of the relationship did not match the anticipation of either Harry or Cho and both realized that it was not a real match and it just fell apart.
It was said that if you gave a million monkeys typewriters and let them type for eternity, eventually they would reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the internet, we now know this isn't true.
<<

Zinovia

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 4

Joined: August 22nd, 2017, 2:46 pm

Gender: Female

Post August 22nd, 2017, 3:04 pm

Re: Is anyone else against Harry & Ginny?

Me, it's just way too predictable. I've really tried to like Ginny as a character, but she's just such a mary sue and makes me cringe, she kinda reminds me of a girl who used to bully me in school so maybe thats why I'm biased?! The fact that she had a crush on Harry when she was younger (prob just cause he was famous) annoys me and is an inaccurate portrayal of how their relationship would form irl. Tbh I've always loved the idea of Harry and Luna together, they just seem so right together, the fact that it took Harry a while to get used to her weirdness and to actually like her as a person is much more realistic than him being head over heals for Ginny, who's kind of a bi*ch when u think about it :roll:
<<

MarsUltor

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Posts: 472

Joined: July 4th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Location: Istanbul/Turkey

Gender: Male

Post August 22nd, 2017, 4:33 pm

Re: Is anyone else against Harry & Ginny?

Yes, you are biased.

Harry and Luna are perfect as friends.
<<

Pensieve Seeker

Squib
Squib

Posts: 80

Joined: February 10th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Gender: Female

Post August 22nd, 2017, 7:02 pm

Re: Is anyone else against Harry & Ginny?

JKR employed the black (negredo), white (albedo), and red (rubedo) stages of literary alchemy in writing Harry's story.

http://www.hogwartsprofessor.com/litera ... roduction/

Cho [Harry's first crush] = black hair
Luna [Harry's date to Slughorn's party] = white/blonde hair
Ginny [Harry's wife] = red hair
<<

hermod

Second Year
Second Year

Posts: 288

Joined: May 1st, 2009, 8:56 pm

Location: Florida

Post August 22nd, 2017, 7:26 pm

Re: Is anyone else against Harry & Ginny?

Zinovia wrote:Me, it's just way too predictable. I've really tried to like Ginny as a character, but she's just such a mary sue and makes me cringe, she kinda reminds me of a girl who used to bully me in school so maybe thats why I'm biased?! The fact that she had a crush on Harry when she was younger (prob just cause he was famous) annoys me and is an inaccurate portrayal of how their relationship would form irl. Tbh I've always loved the idea of Harry and Luna together, they just seem so right together, the fact that it took Harry a while to get used to her weirdness and to actually like her as a person is much more realistic than him being head over heals for Ginny, who's kind of a bi*ch when u think about it :roll:


I think the beginning of HBP says it when Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were all together for much of the summer. Since Ron and Hermione were "pairing off" that left H
Harry and Ginny to find each other. The foursome had a ball that summer and led to the eventual coming together of the two couples during the course of the school year.
It was said that if you gave a million monkeys typewriters and let them type for eternity, eventually they would reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the internet, we now know this isn't true.
<<

Monox D. I-Fly

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Posts: 816

Joined: September 12th, 2011, 10:00 am

Location: Indonesia

Post October 21st, 2017, 2:59 pm

Re: Is anyone else against Harry & Ginny?

Zinovia wrote:Me, it's just way too predictable. I've really tried to like Ginny as a character, but she's just such a mary sue and makes me cringe, she kinda reminds me of a girl who used to bully me in school so maybe thats why I'm biased?! The fact that she had a crush on Harry when she was younger (prob just cause he was famous) annoys me and is an inaccurate portrayal of how their relationship would form irl. Tbh I've always loved the idea of Harry and Luna together, they just seem so right together, the fact that it took Harry a while to get used to her weirdness and to actually like her as a person is much more realistic than him being head over heals for Ginny, who's kind of a bi*ch when u think about it :roll:


While I do agree with your point even though I support Harry/Ginny, but... you were bullied by a Mary Sue?
Image
The Most Legendary Anti-Hero in Literature History
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1479

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post October 21st, 2017, 7:21 pm

Re: Is anyone else against Harry & Ginny?

How can she be a mary sue if shes a bitch lol
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
Previous

Return to Relationships

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest