FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

A Harry/Luna debate

<<

sansa

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 32

Joined: July 4th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Post July 4th, 2015, 11:12 pm

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

@stefanvh REST IN PEACE, FLOREAN. mostly, though, there was a lot of drama (at least on the tumblr front, i can't really speak for anywhere else) about a year and a half ago;
Spoiler: show
a bunch of different places started reporting that jo regretted ron/hermione being endgame and people lost it. apparently she thinks that hermione should have married harry, in the end.


i'm using the spoiler function even though i'm sure it's not necessary because, i don't know, maybe SOMEONE out there has managed to stay unspoiled! #optimism
and, like, major disclaimer here that the views of the author do not align with the views of this particular poster. please don't yell at me.
i'm bigger than my body, i'm colder than this home ♕ i'm meaner than my demons, i'm bigger than these bones
Image
<<

stefanvh

User avatar

Quidditch Player
Quidditch Player

Posts: 2031

Joined: April 30th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Location: London, UK

Gender: Male

Post July 4th, 2015, 11:27 pm

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

JKR's words were absolutely taken out of context. First of all, she never said that she regretted Ron and Hermione. She maintains that was the original couple, that she wanted for wish fulfilment, but not done for literary purposes. However the much, much bigger lie is that she said that Hermione should be with Harry. Nonono. She said that, in comparison to R/Hr, that "in some ways Hermione and Harry are a better fit". That's it. Nowhere does she say that H/Hr should be together. She also said that R/Hr would probably be alright with a bit of counseling, and that people like Hermione "need a funny man".

Here's the text of the interview: http://www.mugglenet.com/2014/02/the-tr ... interview/

She also maintained that Harry's love for Ginny is true - a few days after the REAL interview was released. So it wasn't worth all of this drama.

That's it in a nutshell :)
Image
Thanks to Lumiere for this!

Harry/Ginny 4ever <3

Pottermore username: StoneSnitch10208

Mod of /r/HarryandGinny

Image
<<

sansa

User avatar

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 32

Joined: July 4th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Post July 4th, 2015, 11:32 pm

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

stefanvh wrote:JKR's words were absolutely taken out of context. First of all, she never said that she regretted Ron and Hermione. She maintains that was the original couple, that she wanted for wish fulfilment, but not done for literary purposes. However the much, much bigger lie is that she said that Hermione should be with Harry. Nonono. She said that, in comparison to R/Hr, that "in some ways Hermione and Harry are a better fit". That's it. Nowhere does she say that H/Hr should be together. She also said that R/Hr would probably be alright with a bit of counseling, and that people like Hermione "need a funny man".

Here's the text of the interview: http://www.mugglenet.com/2014/02/the-tr ... interview/

She also maintained that Harry's love for Ginny is true - a few days after the REAL interview was released. So it wasn't worth all of this drama.

That's it in a nutshell :)


thank GOODNESS, i should have double-checked since it's been so long, but i am a sleepy thing.
i didn't really follow it because i was kind of like "who cares what she thinks now? it's a done deal!" but wow, i could have been laughing at so many people
i'm bigger than my body, i'm colder than this home ♕ i'm meaner than my demons, i'm bigger than these bones
Image
<<

stefanvh

User avatar

Quidditch Player
Quidditch Player

Posts: 2031

Joined: April 30th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Location: London, UK

Gender: Male

Post July 4th, 2015, 11:35 pm

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

sansa wrote:
stefanvh wrote:JKR's words were absolutely taken out of context. First of all, she never said that she regretted Ron and Hermione. She maintains that was the original couple, that she wanted for wish fulfilment, but not done for literary purposes. However the much, much bigger lie is that she said that Hermione should be with Harry. Nonono. She said that, in comparison to R/Hr, that "in some ways Hermione and Harry are a better fit". That's it. Nowhere does she say that H/Hr should be together. She also said that R/Hr would probably be alright with a bit of counseling, and that people like Hermione "need a funny man".

Here's the text of the interview: http://www.mugglenet.com/2014/02/the-tr ... interview/

She also maintained that Harry's love for Ginny is true - a few days after the REAL interview was released. So it wasn't worth all of this drama.

That's it in a nutshell :)


thank GOODNESS, i should have double-checked since it's been so long, but i am a sleepy thing.
i didn't really follow it because i was kind of like "who cares what she thinks now? it's a done deal!" but wow, i could have been laughing at so many people


Lol, you can still be laughing at people as there are still people who think that JKR said that H/Hr should have happened. Granted, most of those would probably be supporters of H/Hr.....
Image
Thanks to Lumiere for this!

Harry/Ginny 4ever <3

Pottermore username: StoneSnitch10208

Mod of /r/HarryandGinny

Image
<<

green86

User avatar

Squib
Squib

Posts: 97

Joined: July 22nd, 2015, 4:07 am

Location: Australia

Gender: Female

Post July 22nd, 2015, 4:40 am

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

I LOVE Harry/Luna! I think they're both a bit weird, and they'd make a terrifically loyal couple. In fact, I thought he had way more chemistry with her than Ginny.
Last edited by green86 on July 29th, 2015, 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Samovila

User avatar

Annamal
Annamal

Posts: 6807

Joined: December 21st, 2010, 6:24 pm

Location: UK

Gender: Female

Post July 22nd, 2015, 1:37 pm

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

I love Harry and Luna's friendship but I think they're better suited as close friends than as a romantic couple. As much as I love and 'ship' Hermione and Ron, I also think Hermione and Luna could have been a great couple (if JKR had written the characters as gay/ bi):).
True Blue Ravenclaw
Pottermore Fan Forum Name: Samovila-FireBird
<<

Pensieve Seeker

Squib
Squib

Posts: 83

Joined: February 10th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Gender: Female

Post February 12th, 2017, 6:33 am

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

JKR wrote Harry as being physically attracted to girls who have long, sleek hair. Luna's hair is not like this, so Harry was never going to be attracted to her.
<<

Blu3Wind

Muggle
Muggle

Posts: 13

Joined: March 21st, 2017, 8:05 am

Gender: Female

Post March 21st, 2017, 8:22 am

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

I like Luna with Neville~ They seemed to have a moment in the final movie..
But based on Fantastic Beast and Where To Find Them At, Luna ended up marrying someone else.. :(
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1655

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post April 13th, 2017, 4:14 am

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

I actually don't mind this one, but I doubt that Harry would be able to deal.with the constant Luna-Ness.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

SecretaryofMagic

User avatar

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Posts: 782

Joined: August 20th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Gender: Male

Post April 20th, 2017, 1:26 am

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

I don't think it is a good ship or even a "cute" one.

Luna isn't all that nice when you get down to it. She mostly just talks about crumply snorkraks or other cryptids and she does not really ask about other peoples opinions or ideas.


Harry would likely be bored to tears if he ever spoke to her..idk..it does not make much sense
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1655

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post April 20th, 2017, 6:54 am

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

I think its more to do with the fact that Luna understands Harry in a way that only Ginny does....and also accepts him in a similar fashion.

I think the crucial difference here is that Ginny always knew that Harry was going to be Harry and fight dark wizards. It was part of the reason that she fell in love with him.

Where as with Luna, Harry didnt have to be Harry. Granted that doesnt make for the most lasting relationships.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

The Librarian

User avatar

Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall
Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall

Posts: 1665

Joined: May 26th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Location: Sweden

Gender: Male

Post April 20th, 2017, 11:21 am

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

I really do not understand the widespread belief that Luna and Harry understands each others. Because they do not.

Yes, both of them knows how it can feel to be an outcast, Luna more so than Harry, as well how it feels to lose people you love. But that does not magically grant them understanding of each others as persons. They have shared similar experiences and that really is the end of it.

For an example, if I and a random person both have been involved in a horrible car accident at some point in our lives, we both know how it feels and the struggle to move on from it. But I still would not randomly understand anything else about that person, nor would he or she about me.

The point that really makes this so odd for me is that Luna is that one extremely obvious character that we know that Harry does not understand. He literally does not understand or follows Luna's view of the world or on life. He has no grasp about her interests or reasoning. He does not know how she thinks and why she does as she does. Harry has LITERALLY said this him self in the books. He consider her to be a good friend yes, but he is so painfully clear in his feelings of finder her to be odd and weird.

That does not have to be a bad thing to their friendship, as we see that it isn't, but it is a false claim ignoring everything Harry has said or felt about Luna when someone says that Harry and Luna understands each others. They understand certain experiences that both of them has gone through, and that is really everything.



On other notes, I could never see Luna with Neville either. I love Luna, but I love her for whom she is and not for something I wish her to be. As such it is painfully clear that she in the end would have to end up with someone like Rolf Scamander to be truly happy and have a true common ground to build their relationship on.
I support canon because I have actually read the books and seen what they feel and whom they love.
<<

GellertGPhoenix

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1351

Joined: March 20th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Gender: Non-Binary

Post April 20th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

I see Harry and Luna as being close friends who understand each other, to a degree. They don't have a perfect understanding, no, but the understanding that they do have is a strong one, because it holds great meaning to both of them. They might be cute together in a few pictures, but it's really not meant to be, if you catch my drift.
Image
Image
Image
(he/she/they)
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1655

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post April 20th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

Just playing Devils Advocate here...

You dont need to understand everything about someone to be in a successful relationship with them.


But in this case, its a friendship lol. I said I didnt mond this one because it makes more sense then a lot of other ships Ive seen. Eg.) Hermione/Snape, Dramione, Drarry, Harry/Hermione

As for your example, I think it might be a different case if both you and a close friend, not a stranger, had both experienced something traumatic....as Harry and Luna grew to be.

Sirius was arguably a more devastating loss than his parents, and in my mind, it would have been this that they bonded over.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

SecretaryofMagic

User avatar

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Posts: 782

Joined: August 20th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Gender: Male

Post April 25th, 2017, 3:59 am

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

Again though. What would Harry and Luna talk about? Where is the chemistry?

I feel bad that Luna is an outcast, but it doesn't seem she makes much of an effort to try to fit in.

Luna has tunnel vision in a sense.. and I don't think JK tries to give her character that much dignity.

She is almost like the Jar-Jar Binks of the Harry Potter world.
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1655

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post April 25th, 2017, 6:59 am

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

Except that Luna is generally loved.

I dont think that Harry and Luna is written in the stars, but its preferable to the other tripe i've read.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1001

Joined: August 5th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Post April 26th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

I have no idea but maybe in the fourth or fifth Fantastic Beasts films could be set in the days of Harry's years at Hogwarts and Newt's grandson Rolf could be in it. Maybe his first year. So we can actually find out more about him, his house.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

Pensieve Seeker

Squib
Squib

Posts: 83

Joined: February 10th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Gender: Female

Post April 27th, 2017, 1:26 am

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

kingirl89 wrote:I have no idea but maybe in the fourth or fifth Fantastic Beasts films could be set in the days of Harry's years at Hogwarts and Newt's grandson Rolf could be in it. Maybe his first year. So we can actually find out more about him, his house.


Rowling has since Tweeted that the five-film series will “start in 1926 and end in 1945”. Fans are assuming the fateful battle between the pair will therefore not take place until the fifth film.


http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 31291.html
<<

The Librarian

User avatar

Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall
Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall

Posts: 1665

Joined: May 26th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Location: Sweden

Gender: Male

Post May 2nd, 2017, 6:11 pm

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

SecretaryofMagic wrote:Again though. What would Harry and Luna talk about? Where is the chemistry?

I feel bad that Luna is an outcast, but it doesn't seem she makes much of an effort to try to fit in.

Luna has tunnel vision in a sense.. and I don't think JK tries to give her character that much dignity.

These are the points I am trying to make as well. They have little in common in the first place, but considering how different they are, how different they view the world and how different they imagine their life and future to be, they truly do not understand each others.

It is from Harry's own point of view that he concluded just how odd and weird he consider Luna to be. There is not understanding, no common ground and no chemistry. There literally is nothing between them to build a relationship on, as we also know for sure that Harry never has had any interest for Luna either.

In my view, there never was any logic or reason for wanting them get together. At least not based on their characters and feelings. What people say or do afterwards in fanfictions holds no meaning or value at all.
I support canon because I have actually read the books and seen what they feel and whom they love.
<<

Shadowed Light

Squib
Squib

Posts: 58

Joined: May 5th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Gender: Female

Post May 5th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Re: A Harry/Luna debate

I love Harry and Luna's friendship, that's the only relationship I like with them. I see Luna as more of a free spirit in the books and since JKR deems it fit with Rolf Scamander, only because while I love Luna she's a bit of an oddball to work with anyone. JKR seems to hate Yaoi/Yuri otherwise Ginny/Luna would be a cute pair.
Previous

Return to Relationships

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest