FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

If Harry was born a girl

<<

Hestia

Muggle
Muggle

Post October 1st, 2017, 2:03 am

If Harry was born a girl

If Harry had been born a girl, how much of the series do you think would've been changed? Would she have ended up with either Ron or perhaps even Draco, or would she still be with Ginny like in canon?

Would Snape have been at least tolerable towards her, assuming she takes after Lily much more than James in this AU?
<<

MarsUltor

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post October 1st, 2017, 5:39 am

Re: If Harry was born a girl

She'd end up with Fred or George I think :)

Snape would still be a bitter man because she's a Gryffindor.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post October 1st, 2017, 6:24 am

Well if she looked like Lily ot would be like the whole Sansa/Littlefinger dynamic from GoT.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post October 1st, 2017, 12:18 pm

Harriet Potter.
urgh.. anyone remember when the author of The Worst Witch tried to sue.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

Assassin

ANBU
ANBU

Post October 1st, 2017, 4:39 pm

I think he tried his hardest to see James in Harry and never saw Lily because it was much easier that way. I think if Harry did in fact, resemble his mother more, it would be much more painful for Severus, as it would be a constant and more glaring reminder of his mistakes and failure to protect her.

Perhaps he could be milder, especially if the behavior also changed. Then again, we never really knew much about Lily. But again, there were other factors in their dynamic and even if you take out the animosity due to resemblance, there's still the matter of him maintaining his cover of an ex death eater who is just biding his time until he can get back to Lord Voldemort. So 'nice' treatment is definitely not on the cards.

tl;dr: I really don't know.
<<

Remustonks

First Year
First Year

Post October 1st, 2017, 11:27 pm

I don't think much would change at all. In ways it may have been worse if he was a girl because all Snape would see is Lily in him and probably treat her worse because she looks so much like her mum. He would be so anger or mad that she was here and not Lily. Just make take and thoughts on it. Maybe I am wrong, but I can see Snape changing his mind about Harry just because he's a girl instead of a boy.
<<

Spiral

Muggle
Muggle

Post October 22nd, 2017, 10:56 pm

I think Harry wouldn't have had the same opportunities, because the magical society is fundamentally patriarchal. When you consider the father figures in his life such as Dumbledore, Remus, Sirius, Hagrid, Arthur- would their relationships have been the same if Harry was female?

And consider the Golden Trio: would Ron really have been comfortable with his two best friends being female? Consider the 'good-natured' teasing he'd get from Fred + George. I'd say Ron would've been friends with Dean and Seamus, while Harry and Hermione became really good friends. Hermione might've been a positive influence on Harry and I can see Harry becoming more like Hermione. I reckon Harry and Ron might've ended up together- consider their scramble to find a partner for the Yule Ball.

Then there's the case of Voldemort, who surrounds himself with male Death Eaters, and considers Lily a "silly girl". Would he have taken a female Harry to be a serious threat?

Harry's upbringing with the Dursleys, too...for some reason I see a female Harry being sexually molested and abused by Dudley, especially in the later years.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post October 23rd, 2017, 5:12 pm

One of his most trusted lieutenants was female.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Haley

Haley
Haley

Post November 7th, 2017, 2:16 pm

If Harry was a girl, he or she would have been hot, lol. :)

My Facebook: Haley Michelle Arida
My Twitter: @mcpon14

If anyone wants to add.
<<

Ponder

First Year
First Year

Post November 8th, 2017, 1:02 pm

GinChaser wrote:One of his most trusted lieutenants was female.

Yes ONE.
Every other death eater is apparently male. Sounds not very feminist to me.
And even if not. I'm pretty sure the prophesy was like this:
"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..."

So yeah the prophesy speaks of a boy, so we would read the books about Neville Longbottom!
A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been universally established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon or three normal-sized billiard balls.
chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized
~ Terry Pratchett
<<

Haley

Haley
Haley

Post November 9th, 2017, 6:39 pm

To me, Harry did seem like a girl, and so did Ron. I mean, Hermione seemed to have been the one wearing the pants among the trio. She took care of a lot of the problems that they came across, lol. Heck she even did some of their school homework for them, lol. :)

If anyone wants to add.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post November 9th, 2017, 10:14 pm

I feel sad for you Haley. You've obviously ingested a lot of patriarchy and misogyny.
<<

Haley

Haley
Haley

Post November 9th, 2017, 10:16 pm

Grrarrggh wrote:I feel sad for you Haley. You've obviously ingested a lot of patriarchy and misogyny.

Why do you say that, lol? :)

If anyone wants to add.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post November 10th, 2017, 3:32 am

To say that Harry and Ron seemed like girls to you and to mean it in such a negative way shows how you think of girls.
<<

Haley

Haley
Haley

Post November 10th, 2017, 4:02 am

Grrarrggh wrote:To say that Harry and Ron seemed like girls to you and to mean it in such a negative way shows how you think of girls.

That's not what I meant at all, but to each his or her own, lol. :)

If anyone wants to add.
<<

Ponder

First Year
First Year

Post November 10th, 2017, 10:43 am

Haley wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:To say that Harry and Ron seemed like girls to you and to mean it in such a negative way shows how you think of girls.

Then you are really bad at communicating your meanings to the reader. Because your comment said something about them being girls because they need someone's help to solve their problems. That doesn't sound negative to you?
A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been universally established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon or three normal-sized billiard balls.
chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized
~ Terry Pratchett
<<

Haley

Haley
Haley

Post November 10th, 2017, 11:30 am

Ponder wrote:
Haley wrote:

Then you are really bad at communicating your meanings to the reader. Because your comment said something about them being girls because they need someone's help to solve their problems. That doesn't sound negative to you?

Calling someone a girl is not a downgrade, it is an upgrade, so I am complimenting both Ron and Harry, therefore making a positive, lol. :)

If anyone wants to add.
<<

RafaelWeasley

Muggle
Muggle

Post November 19th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Would it change anything for you if harry was a girl ?
Do you thing it would be so popular ?

Have a good day :)
<<

MarsUltor

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post November 20th, 2017, 6:32 am

RafaelWeasley wrote:Would it change anything for you if harry was a girl ?
Do you thing it would be so popular ?

Have a good day :)

I would still love it but not as much as today. Also it wouldn't be so much popular like today
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post November 20th, 2017, 7:42 am

It wouldn't change anything for me if every "he" (for Harry) was changed to "she" and Harry to Mary. But it would no doubt change it for others, not to mention JKR would have written it differently.
<<

princesswhowas

Muggle
Muggle

Post November 20th, 2017, 10:11 pm

GinChaser wrote:Well if she looked like Lily ot would be like the whole Sansa/Littlefinger dynamic from GoT.

it would be . :-)
<<

Haley

Haley
Haley

Post November 21st, 2017, 2:44 am

Not to be sexist, but if Harry was a girl, JKR might have had to make her good-looking, lol. At least, in the movies, they would have had to, like they did with Emma Watson in the later movies, lol. :)

If anyone wants to add.
<<

Aodhfin

Squib
Squib

Post December 30th, 2017, 3:09 pm

If Harry was born a girl, he would probably look like Moaning Myrtle. :mrgreen:
<<

ESP Witch

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 12th, 2018, 4:30 am

I guess a lot depends on how differently we think the Dursleys would treat a child female Harry because of gender differences. Childhood affects a character a lot throughout the rest of the story.

So if we think the Dursleys would be negative in the same way no matter what, not much would change. (The "Dursleys are caricatures" theory.)

If we think the Dursleys would be negative in a different way towards a girl, a lot could have changed even from the beginning of Harry's story. (The "Dursleys are terrible but nuanced" theory.)

In my mind, a lot hinges on the actions of three characters you wouldn't expect. With a vastly different childhood, a female Harry might have different attitudes, a different personality, mindset, house...

Other changes would follow from there. So I guess the real question is, how different would a female Harry's childhood and in turn a female Harry have turned out to be?
<<

DanPot

First Year
First Year

Post January 13th, 2018, 7:29 pm

She (Harry, short for HarriHotCherrietina, because it turns out that was James' great-great-aunt's name) wore tight skirts and tank tops and chased after all the boys in the school. Why, you ask? When Voldemort saw her in the crib, instead of trying to kill her, he cast a spell on her to be a flirty nymphomaniac ("Nymphos" is the spell) so that she would never even bother thinking about solving mysteries and fighting evil. Harry then goes on to marry Draco for his money (after the big battle was over, won by Voldemort of course), move to Monaco and eventually wind up sleeping with gamblers there in order to get free drinks and gambling chips. In the Godric's Hollow cemetery, her epitaph reads: "Here lies the greatest nympho witch ever known. Her motto was, 'Hey, who gives a damn?' She was cursed by the Great Lord Voldemort to her everlasting condition."
Image The HarHerRon Flower
Next

Return to Theories and Speculation