Why are Death Eaters so feared?

<<

SecretaryofMagic

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post October 2nd, 2017, 2:22 am

Why are Death Eaters so feared?

I mean really. Why are they?

Sure they have Voldemort as their protector. But are they that powerful on their own?

In the books they only seem to use about 3-4 spells at most, and "Avada Kedavra!" wouldn't be so fearsome if everybody else started using it.

How many Death Eaters are there? 20? They are up against hundreds of other wizards who might be able to use more impressive magic (fire spells, freezing spells) if they maybe applied themselves more.

Im sure there is a valid reason that the Death Eaters are feared so much, but I don't think the wizarding civilian population is as hapless or in need ( or should be) as they are made out to be.

Anyone with a basic magic education could learn enough to cause trouble for anyone else.

Although Fudge was arrogant and paranoid his fear about "Dumbledore's Army" wasn't groundless. What was the Order of the Phoenix but Dumbledore's private militia operating independent of any government oversight or accountability.

Any ideas ?
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post October 2nd, 2017, 4:15 am

Re: Why are Death Eaters so feared?

Definitely disagree about Dumbledore. He never had any ill will towards Ministry.

Although I agree about Death Eaters
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post October 2nd, 2017, 4:39 am

They are so feared because of what they are willing to do, and some are willing tk sacrifoce everything to get it .

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Assassin

ANBU
ANBU

Post October 2nd, 2017, 5:43 am

I think the death eaters are feared just as terrorist groups in real life are feared. Except, they have a really large support base in the form of some of the most powerful families in the wizarding world.

We must also remember that the no. of death eaters had significantly reduced by the time of the second ww, with many having defected or kissed. I think most of the people who remained were part of voldemort's inner circle. Still, I think there were more than 30 of them? Many of them also worked in the ministry and could easily sabotage their efforts to round up the death eaters. This no. was also amplified manifold by the induction of other wizarding folk, magical creatures (including dark ones), and other canon fodder.

I don't think the death eaters involved themselves in head on battles with aurors and order members. Like the terrorists, they would terrorise people, make example of blood traitors and mudbloods and then disappear before the aurors appeared. So, though I'm sure the ministry had a lot of resources and more blunt power, it was useless against the death eaters.

Also, hi secretary :D
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post October 2nd, 2017, 8:26 pm

They were so feared because A) the Ministry was so incompetent B) Dumbledore and other 'powerful' adults were so incompetent C) a tiny bit of every non-muggle born wizard agrees with DEs and hates muggles and muggle borns.
<<

MadamPince

Time Lady
Time Lady

Post October 17th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Why were the Gestapo feared so much?

It's the same thing.

We have a very limited view of what the death eaters do, due to the limited narration of the books. Harry lives with muggles and is at school during the summer when people go missing etc so we don't really get to see the full extent of their magic.
When fighting Harry they never really tried that hard because Voldemort wanted to kill Harry so they were careful around him.

I find them ruthless and I think that's what makes them truly scary.
Currently Reading: Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave
<<

Haley

Haley
Haley

Post November 14th, 2017, 8:11 am

Death Eaters are so feared because some can be like fundamentalist Islamic radicalized terrorists which is the intensity in their intent to cause harm, some to the point of being fanatical, lol. :)

My Facebook: Haley Michelle Arida
My Twitter: @mcpon14

If anyone wants to add.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post November 17th, 2017, 2:02 am

Haley wrote:Death Eaters are so feared because some can be like fundamentalist Islamic radicalized terrorists which is the intensity in their intent to cause harm, some to the point of being fanatical, lol. :)

Why is tha funny?

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.

Return to Theories and Speculation