FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

<<

GellertGPhoenix

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1337

Joined: March 20th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Gender: Non-Binary

Post March 19th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

Why did Bathilda tell Lily about Dumbledore and Grindelwald?

"could ever have been friends with Gellert Grindelwald. I think her mind's going personally! Lots of love, Lily"- DH

It had to have been Bathilda, and she had to have been referring to Albus's friendship with Gellert (Grindelwald)

So why do you think that Bathilda told Lily about that?

Was it Bathilda reminiscing? A lesson? A bit of hidden history? Part of a conversation about Dumbledore?
Image
Image
Image
(he/she/they)
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1653

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post March 19th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Re: Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

She was losing her mind so it could have been one of the few things that she could remember.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

GellertGPhoenix

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1337

Joined: March 20th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Gender: Non-Binary

Post March 19th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Re: Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

GinChaser wrote:She was losing her mind so it could have been one of the few things that she could remember.


I don't think she was that far gone yet... She was a very bright witch.
Image
Image
Image
(he/she/they)
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1653

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post March 19th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Re: Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

Lily says she was going Batty. That's really the only evidence we have.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1975

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post March 19th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Re: Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

GellertGPhoenix wrote:
GinChaser wrote:She was losing her mind so it could have been one of the few things that she could remember.


I don't think she was that far gone yet... She was a very bright witch.


What does intelligence have to do with Alzheimer's and other brain diseases?
Image
<<

Pensieve Seeker

Squib
Squib

Posts: 83

Joined: February 10th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Gender: Female

Post March 19th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Re: Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

GinChaser wrote:Lily says she was going Batty. That's really the only evidence we have.


No, Batty was Lily's nickname for Bathilda.
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1653

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post March 20th, 2017, 12:36 am

Re: Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

Pensieve Seeker wrote:
GinChaser wrote:Lily says she was going Batty. That's really the only evidence we have.


No, Batty was Lily's nickname for Bathilda.


It says in the letter that she was going crazy. Which is what I meant.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

GellertGPhoenix

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1337

Joined: March 20th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Gender: Non-Binary

Post March 20th, 2017, 4:12 am

Re: Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

Let's see... So Lily is in her early twenties, probably. So roughly 16 years before dumbledore's death. Bathilda could very well have been 16 years older than dumbledore, which means she would have been... 34 in Dumbledore's 18th year. Therefore here she might be around Dumbledore's age= still very bright, with mind and memory very intact. Although I suspect she was a bit older. Maybe by a decade. Remember also that there are likely ways of magically enhancing ones' memory...
Image
Image
Image
(he/she/they)
<<

The Fifth Marauder

User avatar

Auror
Auror

Posts: 2075

Joined: December 9th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Gender: Male

Post March 20th, 2017, 10:59 am

Re: Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

GinChaser wrote:
Pensieve Seeker wrote:
GinChaser wrote:Lily says she was going Batty. That's really the only evidence we have.


No, Batty was Lily's nickname for Bathilda.


It says in the letter that she was going crazy. Which is what I meant.


Does it? She says she thinks she's losing her mind, but only because of the comment regarding Dumbledores friendship with Grindelwald.

I imagine Bathilda was just reminiscing. The Potters had a lot of downtime when they were hiding from Voldemort, with Bathilda seemingly their only regular visitor. I think she took it upon herself to keep them company, and Dumbledore must've been the topic for discussion quite often. Nothing more than that.
Image
Image
Image
Image
<<

GellertGPhoenix

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1337

Joined: March 20th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Gender: Non-Binary

Post March 26th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Re: Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

Actually I just realized that Lily was responding to a letter... Presumably from James. Why did Bathilda tell James?
Last edited by GellertGPhoenix on March 27th, 2017, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image
Image
(he/she/they)
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1975

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post March 26th, 2017, 11:38 pm

Re: Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

GellertGPhoenix wrote:Actually I just realized that Lily was responding to a letter... Presumably from James. Why did Bathilda tell James?


Actually it was a letter to Sirius.

Dear Padfoot,
Thank you, thank you, for Harry's birthday present! It was his favourite by far. One year old and already zooming along on a toy broomstick, he looked so pleased with himself, I'm enclosing a picture so you can see. You know it only rises about two feet off the ground, but he nearly killed the cat and he smashed a horrible vase Petunia sent me for Christmas (no complaints there). Of course, James thought it was funny, says he's going to be a great Quidditch player, but we've had to pack away all the ornaments and make sure we don't take our eyes off him when he gets going.
We had a very quiet birthday tea, just us and old Bathilda, who has always been sweet to us, and who dotes on Harry. We were so sorry you couldn't come, but the Order's got to come first, and Harry's not old enough to know it's his birthday anyway! James is getting a bit frustrated shut up here, he tries not to show it but I can tell -- also, Dumbledore's still got his Invisibility Cloak, so no chance of little excursions. If you could visit, it would cheer him up so much. Wormy was here last weekend, I thought he seemed down, but that was probably the news about the McKinnons; I cried all evening when I heard.
Bathilda drops in most days, she's a fascinating old thing with the most amazing stories about Dumbledore, I'm not sure he'd be pleased if he knew! I don't know how much to believe, actually, because it seems incredible that Dumbledore ------
The second page
------could ever have been friends with Gellert Grindelwald. I think her mind's going, personally!
Lots of love,
Lily
Image
<<

GellertGPhoenix

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1337

Joined: March 20th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Gender: Non-Binary

Post March 27th, 2017, 1:53 am

Re: Why did Bathilda tell Lily?

Grrarrggh wrote:
Actually it was a letter to Sirius.

Dear Padfoot,
Thank you, thank you, for Harry's birthday present! It was his favourite by far. One year old and already zooming along on a toy broomstick, he looked so pleased with himself, I'm enclosing a picture so you can see. You know it only rises about two feet off the ground, but he nearly killed the cat and he smashed a horrible vase Petunia sent me for Christmas (no complaints there). Of course, James thought it was funny, says he's going to be a great Quidditch player, but we've had to pack away all the ornaments and make sure we don't take our eyes off him when he gets going.
We had a very quiet birthday tea, just us and old Bathilda, who has always been sweet to us, and who dotes on Harry. We were so sorry you couldn't come, but the Order's got to come first, and Harry's not old enough to know it's his birthday anyway! James is getting a bit frustrated shut up here, he tries not to show it but I can tell -- also, Dumbledore's still got his Invisibility Cloak, so no chance of little excursions. If you could visit, it would cheer him up so much. Wormy was here last weekend, I thought he seemed down, but that was probably the news about the McKinnons; I cried all evening when I heard.
Bathilda drops in most days, she's a fascinating old thing with the most amazing stories about Dumbledore, I'm not sure he'd be pleased if he knew! I don't know how much to believe, actually, because it seems incredible that Dumbledore ------
The second page
------could ever have been friends with Gellert Grindelwald. I think her mind's going, personally!
Lots of love,
Lily


Oh right. Duh. (I think my mind's going, personally!) I don't know how I missed all that! Sometimes my eyes just don't look in the right places. *blushes* Gee, thanks. Wow.
Image
Image
Image
(he/she/they)

Return to Theories and Speculation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests