FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Do you agree or disagree with this C.S Lewis quote ?

<<

Feologild

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 2nd, 2016, 12:38 pm

Do you agree or disagree with this C.S Lewis quote ?

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

Personally i agree with him 100%
<<

Rosey678

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Post September 3rd, 2016, 2:10 am

Re: Do you agree or disagree with this C.S Lewis quote ?

Yes I can agree with this quote. I am a firm believer in the fact that there is no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes (Yes, that is a Doctor Who quote).
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

Mirkprince

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Post September 3rd, 2016, 7:11 am

Feologild wrote:“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

Absolutely brilliant, another mark of C.S Lewis's pure genius and incredible insight :)! He's one of my all time literary heroes!
"From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a flame from the darkness shall spring, renewed shall be the blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king." ~ Bilbo Baggins
<<

-Sirius-

Squib
Squib

Post September 8th, 2016, 12:31 am

Rosey678 wrote:Yes I can agree with this quote. I am a firm believer in the fact that there is no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes (Yes, that is a Doctor Who quote).

I totally agree with you! :angel: I never understood that idea that becoming an adult means to become boring and loosing the taste of life :| What's wrong with being childish, I mean only in some pleasant, constructive ways? It makes the person much happier and more free, besides stimulates her creativity :) So yes, it's no sense in growing up if it means the total loose of your inner child because it's a very important part of the personality :angel:
I live in such way :) I simply do what I want, I like to be happy from the fact of being alive, I like to share openly my positive emotions with other people, play different games... To make some things which many people consider appropriate only for childish teenagers, like dyeing my hair in such crazy colours like here http://hairstylezz.com/best-rainbow-hair-ideas/4/, attenting different concerts, making cosplays.... It's just cool, I see no problem in such things at all! :angel:

<<

singingbird812

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 12th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Absolutely! As everyone else has said, what's the point of losing the fun of life? I'm a pediatric nurse and parents are often surprised that I have no problem participating in whatever game the child wants me to do. Apart from the fact that it makes the patient happy, it also improves my life. Who doesn't enjoy playing games or telling stories? This has nothing to do with maturity and everything to do with frame of mind. Might as well enjoy life!
<<

Haley

Haley
Haley

Post November 14th, 2017, 1:45 am

Feologild wrote:“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

This is an ad for a T.V. show, lol. :)

-- November 13th, 2017, 8:46 pm --

The show being Arrested Development, lol. :)

My Facebook: Haley Michelle Arida
My Twitter: @mcpon14

If anyone wants to add.

Return to The Leaky Cauldron