FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Do you believe in God?

<<

Ironman727

User avatar

Mulatto Butts
Mulatto Butts

Posts: 3575

Joined: September 15th, 2007, 5:21 pm

Location: the Universe

Post August 19th, 2016, 10:20 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

Image
Image
THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
Neil deGrasse Tyson: Part time Astrophysicist, full time Savage
<<

Rosey678

User avatar

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Posts: 7391

Joined: May 29th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Location: In the Achievement Hunter office

Gender: Female

Post August 20th, 2016, 4:57 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

Mirkprince wrote:I find the idea of agnosticism fascinating, so what exactly is it that you believe? In the possibility of a God, as a force but not a personal God? That's kind of the idea I've gotten... I'd love to hear more about it.


It's kinda hard to explain, I consider it fence sitting haha. I can't prove he is there but I can't prove he ISN'T there. If he exists then he exists if he doesn't he doesn't. I was asked tonight if God showed himself to me (me as an agnostic) would I care? Tbh I have no idea, I would obviously accept he is real at that point but I don't think I would want to suddenly change my life to be what "he would want". I'm not gonna suddenly be kosher or be more religious just because he exists.

In a way, I am my own God. I don't PLAY God of course. I would never do that; I don't control the lives of people, obviously. But I am me, I don't make people make big life decisions for me, and I have the common sense to know what is right is wrong. I don't need to devote myself to a god to be a good person.

I choose to be agnostic because I refuse to be arrogant enough to assume I know for sure there is no God, I'm not going to go around saying he doesn't exist because I know a lot of people find comfort in a higher power and need that peace; I have no right to ruin that for them. But I'm not a blind faith person, and I have too many questions. Because of this I don't want to seem all high and mighty and say I know for sure he DOES exist, either.

Sorry, this went on longer than expected.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

Mirkprince

User avatar

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Posts: 3773

Joined: June 3rd, 2013, 9:58 am

Location: Malawi, Central-East Africa!

Gender: Male

Post August 20th, 2016, 10:09 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

Rosey678 wrote:
Mirkprince wrote:I find the idea of agnosticism fascinating, so what exactly is it that you believe? In the possibility of a God, as a force but not a personal God? That's kind of the idea I've gotten... I'd love to hear more about it.


It's kinda hard to explain, I consider it fence sitting haha. I can't prove he is there but I can't prove he ISN'T there. If he exists then he exists if he doesn't he doesn't. I was asked tonight if God showed himself to me (me as an agnostic) would I care? Tbh I have no idea, I would obviously accept he is real at that point but I don't think I would want to suddenly change my life to be what "he would want". I'm not gonna suddenly be kosher or accept that I am a sinner and stuff just because he exists.

In a way, I am my own God. I don't PLAY God of course. I would never do that; I don't control the lives of people, obviously. But I am me, I don't make people make big life decisions for me, and I have the common sense to know what is right is wrong. I don't need to devote myself to a god to be a good person.

I choose to be agnostic because I refuse to be arrogant enough to assume I know for sure there is no God, I'm not going to go around saying he doesn't exist because I know a lot of people find comfort in a higher power and need that peace; I have no right to ruin that for them. But I'm not a blind faith person, and I have too many questions. Because of this I don't want to seem all high and mighty and say I know for sure he DOES exist, either.

Sorry, this went on longer than expected.


Nah! Thank you, cleared things up a bit.
Image
Image
Image
"From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a flame from the darkness shall spring, renewed shall be the blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king." ~ Bilbo Baggins
<<

Rosey678

User avatar

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Posts: 7391

Joined: May 29th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Location: In the Achievement Hunter office

Gender: Female

Post August 21st, 2016, 5:46 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

Mirkprince wrote:
Rosey678 wrote:
Mirkprince wrote:I find the idea of agnosticism fascinating, so what exactly is it that you believe? In the possibility of a God, as a force but not a personal God? That's kind of the idea I've gotten... I'd love to hear more about it.


It's kinda hard to explain, I consider it fence sitting haha. I can't prove he is there but I can't prove he ISN'T there. If he exists then he exists if he doesn't he doesn't. I was asked tonight if God showed himself to me (me as an agnostic) would I care? Tbh I have no idea, I would obviously accept he is real at that point but I don't think I would want to suddenly change my life to be what "he would want". I'm not gonna suddenly be kosher or accept that I am a sinner and stuff just because he exists.

In a way, I am my own God. I don't PLAY God of course. I would never do that; I don't control the lives of people, obviously. But I am me, I don't make people make big life decisions for me, and I have the common sense to know what is right is wrong. I don't need to devote myself to a god to be a good person.

I choose to be agnostic because I refuse to be arrogant enough to assume I know for sure there is no God, I'm not going to go around saying he doesn't exist because I know a lot of people find comfort in a higher power and need that peace; I have no right to ruin that for them. But I'm not a blind faith person, and I have too many questions. Because of this I don't want to seem all high and mighty and say I know for sure he DOES exist, either.

Sorry, this went on longer than expected.


Nah! Thank you, cleared things up a bit.


I just realized that I made a typo, I meant to say "I know what is right and what is wrong", not that I think that what is right IS wrong >.>
Image
Image
Image
Image
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

Mirkprince

User avatar

Fred Weasley's Ghost
Fred Weasley's Ghost

Posts: 3773

Joined: June 3rd, 2013, 9:58 am

Location: Malawi, Central-East Africa!

Gender: Male

Post August 24th, 2016, 7:04 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

Rosey678 wrote:
Mirkprince wrote:
Rosey678 wrote:
Mirkprince wrote:I find the idea of agnosticism fascinating, so what exactly is it that you believe? In the possibility of a God, as a force but not a personal God? That's kind of the idea I've gotten... I'd love to hear more about it.


It's kinda hard to explain, I consider it fence sitting haha. I can't prove he is there but I can't prove he ISN'T there. If he exists then he exists if he doesn't he doesn't. I was asked tonight if God showed himself to me (me as an agnostic) would I care? Tbh I have no idea, I would obviously accept he is real at that point but I don't think I would want to suddenly change my life to be what "he would want". I'm not gonna suddenly be kosher or accept that I am a sinner and stuff just because he exists.

In a way, I am my own God. I don't PLAY God of course. I would never do that; I don't control the lives of people, obviously. But I am me, I don't make people make big life decisions for me, and I have the common sense to know what is right is wrong. I don't need to devote myself to a god to be a good person.

I choose to be agnostic because I refuse to be arrogant enough to assume I know for sure there is no God, I'm not going to go around saying he doesn't exist because I know a lot of people find comfort in a higher power and need that peace; I have no right to ruin that for them. But I'm not a blind faith person, and I have too many questions. Because of this I don't want to seem all high and mighty and say I know for sure he DOES exist, either.

Sorry, this went on longer than expected.


Nah! Thank you, cleared things up a bit.


I just realized that I made a typo, I meant to say "I know what is right and what is wrong", not that I think that what is right IS wrong >.>

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Image
Image
Image
"From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a flame from the darkness shall spring, renewed shall be the blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king." ~ Bilbo Baggins
<<

Rosey678

User avatar

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Posts: 7391

Joined: May 29th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Location: In the Achievement Hunter office

Gender: Female

Post August 24th, 2016, 11:56 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

Mirkprince wrote:
Rosey678 wrote:Nah! Thank you, cleared things up a bit.


I just realized that I made a typo, I meant to say "I know what is right and what is wrong", not that I think that what is right IS wrong >.>

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:[/quote]

Don't judge me lol I was very tired.

But yeah, that's what I meant. I assume that makes more sense, I'd like to think even without a God I can think for myself. It takes common sense to know what is right and wrong for most cases. I think it is common knowledge that murdering someone is not cool haha
Image
Image
Image
Image
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

dryad

User avatar

la belle dame sans merci
la belle dame sans merci

Posts: 1678

Joined: August 11th, 2009, 1:56 am

Gender: Female

Post August 25th, 2016, 4:38 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

Rosey678 wrote:I'd like to think even without a God I can think for myself. It takes common sense to know what is right and wrong for most cases.


That's one of the biggest things for me. In my eyes, religion is so unnecessary if you just follow your own guidance that you've developed through your life experience rather than whatever this book from thousands of years ago tells you to do. Like I know some people are genuinely well intended and think their religious doctrines are their guidelines in life, but in a way that seems like a cop out to me. Why would you willingly place your control in the hands of whoever translated these books? There's so much prejudice spewed through these things, like? Really? Then on another page it says God is all loving and we're all his children, etc etc. So much hypocrisy and contradiction, yet it's still accepted as an everlasting truth? Shouldn't that be a sign that maybe it's not the be-all-end-all guidance system everyone pretends it is? In the end I don't care all that much, but I do think it's important for people to take their power back in the way Rosey is talking about. Think for yourself.

To answer the original question, I'm going to go with no. The term God is so loaded that I can't possibly say "I believe in god" and have it remotely mean what I intend. And I have no qualms with people having personal beliefs in a higher power or whatever, if it enhances your life experience (and not at the expense of others), that's great! It's just the blind faith religious dogma that people try to project on others that gets me.
Image
Image
<<

Rosey678

User avatar

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Posts: 7391

Joined: May 29th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Location: In the Achievement Hunter office

Gender: Female

Post August 25th, 2016, 2:37 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

dryad wrote:
Rosey678 wrote:I'd like to think even without a God I can think for myself. It takes common sense to know what is right and wrong for most cases.


That's one of the biggest things for me. In my eyes, religion is so unnecessary if you just follow your own guidance that you've developed through your life experience rather than whatever this book from thousands of years ago tells you to do. Like I know some people are genuinely well intended and think their religious doctrines are their guidelines in life, but in a way that seems like a cop out to me. Why would you willingly place your control in the hands of whoever translated these books? There's so much prejudice spewed through these things, like? Really? Then on another page it says God is all loving and we're all his children, etc etc. So much hypocrisy and contradiction, yet it's still accepted as an everlasting truth? Shouldn't that be a sign that maybe it's not the be-all-end-all guidance system everyone pretends it is? In the end I don't care all that much, but I do think it's important for people to take their power back in the way Rosey is talking about. Think for yourself.

To answer the original question, I'm going to go with no. The term God is so loaded that I can't possibly say "I believe in god" and have it remotely mean what I intend. And I have no qualms with people having personal beliefs in a higher power or whatever, if it enhances your life experience (and not at the expense of others), that's great! It's just the blind faith religious dogma that people try to project on others that gets me.


Well said, Kate!
Image
Image
Image
Image
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

Harley Quinn

User avatar

Imagine
Imagine

Posts: 17215

Joined: October 25th, 2014, 1:49 am

Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Gender: Female

Post October 19th, 2016, 12:58 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

I'm not religious at all. But I'm spiritual. I also don't think that everyone has to think the way I do and believe the exact same things that I do. I subscribe to the "whatever floats your boat" mentality. My beliefs are very personal and I don't believe in shoving them down people's throats. If you meet me, I won't even try to convert you lol or even bring up religion, as many people do. I do believe in Jesus and most people who share my faith seem to think that it's their moral obligation to convert every person they meet and they always have to bring up the Bible....maybe they think that the way I am is wrong, but I disagree. There are other ways to evangelize, like being a loving and kind and non-judgmental person. That's what I do and I think that has a bigger impact on people than having beliefs shoved down their throats.
Image
<<

The Librarian

User avatar

Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall
Hogwarts Professor - McGonagall

Posts: 1666

Joined: May 26th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Location: Sweden

Gender: Male

Post December 12th, 2016, 9:24 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

Old, but gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo

Stephen Fry does a brilliant job at summarizing much of my own toughs and mind on the matter.
I support canon because I have actually read the books and seen what they feel and whom they love.
<<

FracturedRocket

User avatar

First Year
First Year

Posts: 117

Joined: April 8th, 2017, 3:04 am

Location: Riding a thestral

Gender: Female

Post April 8th, 2017, 3:24 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

I'm Catholic. Of course I believe in God.
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1657

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post April 13th, 2017, 5:32 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

Yep I do. As in...I know he exists, I just don't like him very much sometimes.

To me, I look at something like the beauty of the female body, or the galaxy's and stars or the miracle of childbirth. Even the study of anatomy, and how well everything meshes and works together so perfectly...I have to ask myself how someone can't see divine artistry there.

I also look at Human nature. As human beings, we are capable of the worst things. Horrible monstrosities...and I believe it is our ability to love unconditionally, like no other creature...except maybe dogs...can, that changes us into something more. I think that's God's work as well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with everything that happens and how he gets credit for the good stuff and no blame for the bad stuff....but yeah, there's a God. For sure.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Serena

User avatar

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Posts: 3260

Joined: April 5th, 2013, 9:32 pm

Location: In your mind.

Gender: Female

Post April 13th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

GinChaser wrote:I also look at Human nature. As human beings, we are capable of the worst things. Horrible monstrosities...and I believe it is our ability to love unconditionally, like no other creature...except maybe dogs...can, that changes us into something more. I think that's God's work as well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with everything that happens and how he gets credit for the good stuff and no blame for the bad stuff....but yeah, there's a God. For sure.


i believe in free will. If you believe that God exists, and that He created us, then why would he create something that doesn't not have an independent life? otherwise, we are not beings, we are robots designed to never do a cruel thing or not. nature can be vicious, and so can humans. just as an animal care tenderly for their young ones, so can life can be cruel like when a lion takes over a pride, he kills all the young ones that came from the lion he killed.
i do say not everything is to be understood. why should there be good and bad since the start, is there the need for that sort of strange balance? or is it because it is up to us to show whether we can abstain from evil things, or fail miserably by doing so. that shows where we stand, what kind of people do we want to be, listening to our conscious or not.

if you put your hand in the fire what happens? do you do it again? this shows you learned something.
how can you grow\evolve\become wiser if you do not see both sides of the coin (evil and good) and if you go through life with your hand held by God instead of seeing it all.
it's what we decide to do that defines us quite simply.

i don't believe in a God Debate topic. how can you debate on something like this when whether we want to or not, the life we are living and the upbringing and what we are surrounded with tampers our thoughts. we're made of emotions, and this topic brings out the best and worst of that.

so, while i can honestly say i have not one iota of interest in debating what i just wrote, or what anyone wrote, and i won't, i can say that while frankly it doesn't matter to me what you believe ( in the sense it's your life, everyone has the right to their own opinion) i do believe in stating one's side of the coin. sometimes you learn something interesting. based on my life, what i've lived, this is what i believe.

to each their own.
Image
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1657

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post April 15th, 2017, 8:06 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

You don't get to see the things I have seen in this world and not be a cynic. I was a soldier and gave ten years of my life to Queen and Country....the senseless and needless violence that I have seen in this world, especially towards the innocent...why couldnt you have stepped in? When that orphanage got bombed or all those poor kids in Sandy Hook got shot. You couldnt have made a semi blow a red light and fucking clobber that guy?


But you get credit when something good happens? How does that work?
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Ironman727

User avatar

Mulatto Butts
Mulatto Butts

Posts: 3575

Joined: September 15th, 2007, 5:21 pm

Location: the Universe

Post April 15th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

GinChaser wrote:To me, I look at something like the beauty of the female body, or the galaxy's and stars or the miracle of childbirth. Even the study of anatomy, and how well everything meshes and works together so perfectly...I have to ask myself how someone can't see divine artistry there.


The reason I do not see divine artistry there is due to there being literally no evidence to support an intelligent designer and because science understands and describes the history of the Universe is far more logical, complex, beautiful and extraordinary than an ancient ideology that dates back thousands of years where if we don't understand something, we create a figure that made it happen and that's that, with pseudoscience and circular arguments to try and prove its existence. Science explains what we didn't/do not understand, and helps us to unravel the complexities of life and the Universe based upon scientific theories that are tested meticulously and if proven wrong, are scrapped. This does not happen with the whole methodology of a deity or religion. I find it incredibly selfish and arrogant as well to believe in a deity that created this whole Universe just centred around us. When you understand the marvel of the Universe, how it works and just it's sheer size (I'm not saying you don't), I fail to see how one can believe a deity created all this for a species of apes that have only been around for a tiny percentage of the time the Earth existed.

I actually find the study of anatomy in both humans and other animals to contradict the idea of divine artistry or intelligent design. Just look at the laryngeal nerve of a giraffe. It shows the complete opposite of divine artistry or intelligent design.

Replace god with the Universe and just live your life the way you want to, because the Universe does not give a shit about us.
Image
THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
Neil deGrasse Tyson: Part time Astrophysicist, full time Savage
<<

Serena

User avatar

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Posts: 3260

Joined: April 5th, 2013, 9:32 pm

Location: In your mind.

Gender: Female

Post April 15th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

GinChaser wrote:You don't get to see the things I have seen in this world and not be a cynic. I was a soldier and gave ten years of my life to Queen and Country....the senseless and needless violence that I have seen in this world, especially towards the innocent...why couldnt you have stepped in? When that orphanage got bombed or all those poor kids in Sandy Hook got shot. You couldnt have made a semi blow a red light and fucking clobber that guy?


But you get credit when something good happens? How does that work?


like i said, i'm won't try to convince you or go on and on about this, but one last thing i'd like to include after reading this is, if you have free will, of course you will have people who will do stupid things like go to war, vie for money\power\etc and cause atrocities that never should happen because of that. if every single person on this planet would have a half load of sense, we would already live in a utopia. it's not like we don't have what it takes to be good! we have that capacity. we have the choice. but look at us, most just can't do the decent thing :roll: that's our mistake and decision. So no, God won't step in. i don't see it like a select membership. this is our world to live in, up to us to do it right in our lifetime. but idiots make our lives miserable.

but there's the people who care, and won't kill cruelly or for nothing, and there are those who give over to...well let's call it their "carnal" side for lack of better word. "those" people are usually rich, famous, in the government, etc. this causes the hell we live in, when you're dictated by complete idiots. NOT to say that everyone is like that. plenty of famous rich people who are actually trying to do good.

why do we have to go to war? why do have have to have petty world arguments? why are there so many poor starving children and people out there when we can actually provide for them!! because there are plenty of people who can "shape" the world out there who are out there simply for their own lust for power and gain, not because they actually care. and then regular people who won't want to lift a finger to help that poor soul 'over there'. if you can't help because you don't have the means, that's one thing. if you do have the means, then why aren't you? they should. free will means you either have the decency to do what's right or not. what you decide to listen to is up to you.
and that's why you got those who can make life a living hell for us, and then those pettier ones on the streets who commit aweful things that never should happen to regular decent people. once more, a lack of brain, consciousness, and decency.

that's why i don't see it as "credit" for good or for bad.

but that's just the way i see it. i have thankfully never experienced war, but either ways life is full of shit, so we all experience one kind of crap or another that just goes on and on and on. never seems to end. my conclusion is this. i know not everyone sees it this way. :) and that's okay with me. individuality is what makes the world go 'round. :dumbledore:
Image
<<

GinChaser

User avatar

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1657

Joined: January 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Gender: Male

Post April 15th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

Ironman727 wrote:
GinChaser wrote:To me, I look at something like the beauty of the female body, or the galaxy's and stars or the miracle of childbirth. Even the study of anatomy, and how well everything meshes and works together so perfectly...I have to ask myself how someone can't see divine artistry there.


The reason I do not see divine artistry there is due to there being literally no evidence to support an intelligent designer and because science understands and describes the history of the Universe is far more logical, complex, beautiful and extraordinary than an ancient ideology that dates back thousands of years where if we don't understand something, we create a figure that made it happen and that's that, with pseudoscience and circular arguments to try and prove its existence. Science explains what we didn't/do not understand, and helps us to unravel the complexities of life and the Universe based upon scientific theories that are tested meticulously and if proven wrong, are scrapped. This does not happen with the whole methodology of a deity or religion. I find it incredibly selfish and arrogant as well to believe in a deity that created this whole Universe just centred around us. When you understand the marvel of the Universe, how it works and just it's sheer size (I'm not saying you don't), I fail to see how one can believe a deity created all this for a species of apes that have only been around for a tiny percentage of the time the Earth existed.

I actually find the study of anatomy in both humans and other animals to contradict the idea of divine artistry or intelligent design. Just look at the laryngeal nerve of a giraffe. It shows the complete opposite of divine artistry or intelligent design.

Replace god with the Universe and just live your life the way you want to, because the Universe does not give a shit about us.


There's no evidence that Aliens exist and yet....chances are they do. In all the billions of stars in the universe, there is probably at least one more that can support life.

And you are assuming that I don't believe in evolution....but I do. I dont believe that it justnjas to be one way or another, but a mixture of the two. Honestly what are the chances that the conditions on earth would be just perfect to support life? The earth being the exact perfect distance from the sun. The sun being just the right temperature. So on and so forth. Is it so impossible to believe that God might have had something to do with that?
Image

Image

Image

Image

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Ironman727

User avatar

Mulatto Butts
Mulatto Butts

Posts: 3575

Joined: September 15th, 2007, 5:21 pm

Location: the Universe

Post April 18th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

GinChaser wrote:There's no evidence that Aliens exist and yet....chances are they do. In all the billions of stars in the universe, there is probably at least one more that can support life.


The probability of there being other life forms in the Universe is quite high, I did some rough estimates in another thread (these estimates were made before the discovery this year of the new planetary system 39 light years away that has 7 earth sized planets):

The Kepler solar system could potentially have life in it. There are 5 planets there that are referred to as Super-Earths, which we think(we can only make educated guesses) has the potential to support life.

I just find it completely mind-blowing that people could possibly think that we are alone in the Universe. We are one solar system of a single star. Our galaxy alone has between 200-400 billion stars in it.

Let's say that 1 in 40,000 solar systems have life similar to our own in it; that would mean there could be a minimum of over 5 million unique forms of life in just our galaxy alone. The best estimate astronomers have to date is that there are over 100 billion galaxies in our Universe; so there could be on the upwards of over 500,000,000,000,000,000 unique forms of life in the Universe.

There is no bloody way that in 100 billion galaxies, with over 40,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in total, we're the only intelligent life form.

these figures are just an estimation to put our existence in this Universe into perspective, before someone jumps down my throat and calls me a nonce.


But the difference here is we are comparing the probability of there being OTHER forms of life in the Universe. We have evidence and knowledge of what life is, and, to an extent, what it needs to survive and evolve. There is literally no evidence to support a supernatural being that controls and created the Universe; therefore the probability of a supernatural being existing is virtually nil. This isn't the Marvel or DC Universe we live in.

And please, don't refer to religious doctrine as proof.

GinChaser wrote:And you are assuming that I don't believe in evolution....but I do.


I am assuming no such thing. I have met many theists who believe in evolution, no matter how I am continuously finding this hard to comprehend.

GinChaser wrote:I dont believe that it justnjas to be one way or another, but a mixture of the two.


And you're perfectly entitled to that belief. I'm just pointing out why I find the justification of your beliefs to be extremely weak.

GinChaser wrote:Honestly what are the chances that the conditions on earth would be just perfect to support life? The earth being the exact perfect distance from the sun. The sun being just the right temperature. So on and so forth. Is it so impossible to believe that God might have had something to do with that?


It is completely impossible for me to believe a god had something to do with that. The conditions on earth were not good enough to support life for a very long time, namely 800 million years, it then took a further billion years for multicellular life to evolve and it was only in the last 570 million years of Earth's 4.5 billion year history for some of that multicellular life to evolve into arthropods and then into fish. The sun is not 'just the right temperature', life evolved to survive in that temperature. and it took billions of years for this to happen and for life to have evolved into its current state. The only way that I can see a 'god' creating this would be if that god was literally just the force that instigated the Big Bang over 14 billion years ago. Nothing more.
Image
THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
Neil deGrasse Tyson: Part time Astrophysicist, full time Savage
<<

Haley

User avatar

Haley
Haley

Posts: 13942

Joined: February 12th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA

Gender: Female

Post November 10th, 2017, 4:48 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

If God is real and He follows Stoic physics, then there is at least one alien life-form on every planet, stars, in fact, any celestial body, etc. because, according to Stoic physics, He pervades throughout the universe, lol, presumably touching everything within this universe, lol. :)

-- November 9th, 2017, 11:49 pm --

If that God's knee, for example, is touching a planet, doesn't that count as an alien life-form being on that planet, lol? :)
Image

My Facebook: Haley Michelle Arida
My Twitter: @mcpon14

If anyone wants to add.
<<

ferfykins

Second Year
Second Year

Posts: 273

Joined: September 3rd, 2017, 3:47 pm

Location: Michigan, USA

Gender: Male

Post November 10th, 2017, 6:37 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

Yes I believe in GOD
<<

Haley

User avatar

Haley
Haley

Posts: 13942

Joined: February 12th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA

Gender: Female

Post November 10th, 2017, 9:45 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

ferfykins wrote:Yes I believe in GOD


GOD = Gall of Duty

P.S. I know it is dumb but I was bored, lol. :)
Image

My Facebook: Haley Michelle Arida
My Twitter: @mcpon14

If anyone wants to add.
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 1009

Joined: August 5th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Post November 13th, 2017, 9:07 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

What I don't understand with Christians who hate homosexual, bisexual are just ridiculous what about in the cavemen era!!!!

You know there would've been cavemen and cavewomen who probably would've fallen in love with someone the same gender as them. Yes there still would've been people who loved those who where the different gender or we wouldn't be around. But there wouldn't be any hate or anything.

Just tell that to every homophobic christian.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Posts: 2058

Joined: October 8th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Gender: Female

Post November 13th, 2017, 9:23 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

kingirl89 wrote:What I don't understand with Christians who hate homosexual, bisexual are just ridiculous what about in the cavemen era!!!!

You know there would've been cavemen and cavewomen who probably would've fallen in love with someone the same gender as them. Yes there still would've been people who loved those who where the different gender or we wouldn't be around. But there wouldn't be any hate or anything.

Just tell that to every homophobic christian.


What does that matter? There were tons of religions around before Christianity and that makes no difference to them. Hell, what the Bible actually says makes no difference to all to many.
Image
<<

MarsUltor

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Posts: 608

Joined: July 4th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Location: Istanbul/Turkey

Gender: Male

Post November 13th, 2017, 11:41 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

Guys, stop fighting over mythology.

God, which God? There are f. ton of gods from f. ton of religions.
<<

Haley

User avatar

Haley
Haley

Posts: 13942

Joined: February 12th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA

Gender: Female

Post November 13th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Re: Do you believe in God?

kingirl89 wrote:What I don't understand with Christians who hate homosexual, bisexual are just ridiculous what about in the cavemen era!!!!

You know there would've been cavemen and cavewomen who probably would've fallen in love with someone the same gender as them. Yes there still would've been people who loved those who where the different gender or we wouldn't be around. But there wouldn't be any hate or anything.

Just tell that to every homophobic christian.


Actually, the big hate that cave-people had were towards the neanderthals and the cro-magnons, actually. Those two were the "terrorists", the "demon-worshipers", "the homosexuals" and the "communists" of the day, lol. :) And before that, the brontosaurus had a lot of hate towards T-Rexes because of their really small arms, lol. That is why religions are important and influential in history because they divide people into sides, lol. :)
Image

My Facebook: Haley Michelle Arida
My Twitter: @mcpon14

If anyone wants to add.
PreviousNext

Return to The Leaky Cauldron

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest