FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Atheism?

<<

SecretaryofMagic

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post April 20th, 2017, 1:40 am

Atheism?

What do you all think of the new atheist movement ( at least ten years old) or atheism in general? Are any of you guys atheists?

It seems like the two main tenants of atheism is 1. There is no God and 2. They hate him.

I am not an atheist, and I recognize the bad stuff organized religion has done. But IMO atheism just seems like an empty philosophy, like.. its a sense of community about denying the existence of something.

As much as they hate religion..what would Richard Dawkins and his like do if religion actually died? thered be nothing to talk about.

What do you think of atheism..and atheists?
<<

dryad

la belle dame sans merci
la belle dame sans merci

Post April 20th, 2017, 3:25 am

Re: Atheism?

SecretaryofMagic wrote:It seems like the two main tenants of atheism is 1. There is no God and 2. They hate him.

If the first tenet of atheism is that there's no god, then there would be no ill will towards something that doesn't exist. I'd say it's more like, if there's ill feeling towards anything it's religion as a whole.

SecretaryofMagic wrote:As much as they hate religion..what would Richard Dawkins and his like do if religion actually died? thered be nothing to talk about.

lolz, science though. It's not like that would go anywhere if religion died. A lack of religion doesn't mean people like Dawkins would suddenly have nothing to talk about.
<<

Ironman727

Mulatto Butts
Mulatto Butts

Post April 20th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Re: Atheism?

SecretaryofMagic wrote:What do you all think of the new atheist movement ( at least ten years old) or atheism in general? Are any of you guys atheists?

I'm an atheist. The new atheist movement is alright, some of it is just a way of hiding their racism though -- I follow a lot of atheistic social media, and about 90% of it is a joy to behold, with a lot of conversation around science, while a small percentage is racist shite. It's fine to hate a religious ideology that you recognise is detrimental to society and people, but it is not fine to condemn an entire race because of that religious ideology. Hate and fight the idea, not the people that believe it.

SecretaryofMagic wrote:It seems like the two main tenants of atheism is 1. There is no God and 2. They hate him.

Atheism is purely the disbelief in god(s). I can't hate what doesn't exist.

SecretaryofMagic wrote:I am not an atheist, and I recognize the bad stuff organized religion has done. But IMO atheism just seems like an empty philosophy, like.. its a sense of community about denying the existence of something.

I think it's quite clear that you don't understand what atheism is.

SecretaryofMagic wrote:As much as they hate religion..what would Richard Dawkins and his like do if religion actually died? thered be nothing to talk about.

What would a cancer patient do if they got rid of their cancer? They'd carry on with their lives, just without cancer. Richard Dawkins would just carry on researching, lecturing and writing about the field that he is an expert in, ethology and evolutionary biology.
THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
Neil deGrasse Tyson: Part time Astrophysicist, full time Savage

Return to The Leaky Cauldron