FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sirius' Innocence

<<

kid weasley

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 4th, 2018, 11:03 am

Sirius' Innocence

I'm re-reading the entire series again and I finished the Prisoner of Azkaban last night. With my knowledge of what happens to Sirius at the end of the Order of the Phoenix, I realized there was one question I realized I never found the answer to: was Sirius' name ever cleared, and if so, when?
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post January 4th, 2018, 11:06 am

Re: Sirius' Innocence

I think it was cleared shortly after his death. Fudge admits to the Muggle Prime Minister that they were chasing the wrong guy (at the start of HBP) so i'm guessing it's public knowledge by then.

Ironic, huh?
<<

kid weasley

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 4th, 2018, 12:13 pm

that's what I meant to ask: if his innocence became public knowledge at all
<<

MarsUltor

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post January 4th, 2018, 1:49 pm

It did. Check the first chapter of Half-Blood Prince, The Other Minister
<<

Ladybug06

Squib
Squib

Post February 7th, 2018, 10:11 pm

The one thing I'm not too certain about (since it's been a long time since I read the book) is why was Sirius even accused for the betray of the death of Harry 's parents anyway? Who exactly accused him of it? This question came to my mind while watching the third film. Obviously we know that Peter Pettigrew really did it but why was Sirius originally blamed if he was such a good friend of the family?
<<

sparky99

Muggle
Muggle

Post February 7th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Sirius was blamed because he was supposed to be the potters secret keeper, however they changed to pettigrew without anyone aware except James, Lily,Sirius and peter. so when the potters died and peter disappeared the blame fell on Sirius
<<

Ladybug06

Squib
Squib

Post February 7th, 2018, 10:43 pm

sparky99 wrote:Sirius was blamed because he was supposed to be the potters secret keeper, however they changed to pettigrew without anyone aware except James, Lily,Sirius and peter. so when the potters died and peter disappeared the blame fell on Sirius

Oh yeah, that's right. Thanks! I completely forgot. I knew that there had to be a reason for it though.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post February 8th, 2018, 5:54 am

The better question is why wasn't he given his right to a trial.
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post February 8th, 2018, 11:14 am

Grrarrggh wrote:The better question is why wasn't he given his right to a trial.

IIRC he didn't request one? No one was in his corner, he was laughing manically when he was arrested. He probably didn't see the point since all the evidence was stacked against him.

Just from memory, this. Might be completely wrong.
<<

Ponder

First Year
First Year

Post February 8th, 2018, 1:44 pm

The Fifth Marauder wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:The better question is why wasn't he given his right to a trial.

IIRC he didn't request one? No one was in his corner, he was laughing manically when he was arrested. He probably didn't see the point since all the evidence was stacked against him.

Just from memory, this. Might be completely wrong.

Actual it was Barty Crouch Sr. policy to arrest Death Eaters and those that are obvious guilty, were thrown directly into jail, because the court was overburdened as it was.
Sirius was not the only one. Out of those that tortured Neville's parents into insanity, only Crouch Jr. got a trail, because his mother begged for him and Crouch threw him in jail anyway to make an example out of him, that he wouldn't go easy on any Death Eater, even his own son.
A Thaum is the basic unit of magical strength. It has been universally established as the amount of magic needed to create one small white pigeon or three normal-sized billiard balls.
chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized
~ Terry Pratchett

Return to Characters and Creatures