FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What I Think of Severus Snape

<<

Hestia

Muggle
Muggle

Post October 1st, 2017, 1:49 am

What I Think of Severus Snape

I have mixed feelings on this character. He's a well written character and Alan Rickman (RIP) was perfect for the role, but as a person... I just can't seem to like him. He didn't have a great childhood, but that doesn't really excuse his future actions, like bullying his own students and disliking Harry just because he looked James.

Then there's his feelings for Lily. It's a shame their friendship ended on such bad terms, but I'm having trouble believing that Snape genuinely loved her. Perhaps not exactly obsessed, but he seemed to at least be emotionally dependent on her. And even while they were still friends, he wasn't exactly very nice, like when he spoke to Petunia when they first met.

And I would just like to point out that no, this in no way means I am justifying or ignoring James Potter's bullying towards him. James was a huge jerk when he was a teen and Snape had every right to hate him, but that by no means excuses his own bad actions.

If he really loved Lily as much as he so claimed, then he wouldn't have been so mean towards Harry—he was her son too, after all. It wasn't his fault he looked so much like his father, nor should he be blamed for James stupid actions.

But here's the thing about James—he changed for the better by his seventh year, and that's when Lily agreed to date him and the rest is history. She didn't even seem to consider him an option as a romantic partner until after he changed, considering she was as unimpressed by him as Snape was before then.

I'd also like to point out that the bullying wasn't really one-sided either. Again, James was terrible, but Snape would also cast spells against his bully as well, so it was mutual.

Both Snape [em]and[/em] James were terrible people, but whereas James eventually grew to become a (mostly) better person, Snape never really moved on and remained bitter to the point of being mean to his own students. He was a Death Eater and only switched sides because of Lily, but then it was pretty much all but outright stated that he would've let James and Harry die if it meant Lily was spared.

I can see why some would think of him as brave since going undercover and working for Dumbledore behind Voldemort's back does take bravery, but his good qualities shouldn't overshadow the bad ones, or vice versa for that matter. The same goes for any character, really.

I may like Snape as a character, but that doesn't mean I have to like him as a person.
<<

Assassin

ANBU
ANBU

Post October 1st, 2017, 5:00 am

Re: What I Think of Severus Snape

It's understandable that you won't like him as a person. I don't think he himself would say that he was a nice guy. That said, I think that the assertion that he didn't change doesn't reflect the truth. Teenage Snape was quite selfish, easily influenced, and had several prejudices. The Professor Snape we see later on has matured quite a bit, is a master occlumens and actually influences the two most powerful wizards of the time, has realized how wrong he was during his teenage years and more than just sacrificing his life, is ready to face the scorn of all wizarding world before and after he dies to protect even those that would like nothing more than to kill him.

I found this line to be quite telling of Snape's transformation:
Chapter 33, Deathly Hallows wrote:"You have kept him alive so that he can die at the right moment?"

"Don't be shocked, Severus. How many men and women have you watched die?"

"Lately, only those whom I could not save," said Snape.

<<

MarsUltor

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post October 1st, 2017, 5:42 am

I have your opinions too mostly although I don't think James or Sirius was a bully towards Snape. That was just the worst memory of him. But we know that Snape knew lots of curses, capable to defend himself, and he too attacks James in every opportunity he found.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post October 1st, 2017, 6:32 am

Wun Wun wrote:It's understandable that you won't like him as a person. I don't think he himself would say that he was a nice guy. That said, I think that the assertion that he didn't change doesn't reflect the truth. Teenage Snape was quite selfish, easily influenced, and had several prejudices. The Professor Snape we see later on has matured quite a bit, is a master occlumens and actually influences the two most powerful wizards of the time, has realized how wrong he was during his teenage years and more than just sacrificing his life, is ready to face the scorn of all wizarding world before and after he dies to protect even those that would like nothing more than to kill him.

I found this line to be quite telling of Snape's transformation:
Chapter 33, Deathly Hallows wrote:"You have kept him alive so that he can die at the right moment?"

"Don't be shocked, Severus. How many men and women have you watched die?"

"Lately, only those whom I could not save," said Snape.

Obviously. They werent at war. It had been a long time.

I dont think hes changed. If he had and he was motivated by something other then his own guilt and his own need for revenge...he woukd have been a better person. Maybe not a.snugly puppy dog...but at least not the venomous snake he continued to be.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

Assassin

ANBU
ANBU

Post October 2nd, 2017, 5:33 am

GinChaser wrote:Obviously. They werent at war. It had been a long time.

What are you referring to?

<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post October 11th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Assassin wrote:
GinChaser wrote:Obviously. They werent at war. It had been a long time.

What are you referring to?

He hadnt wayched anyone die for awhole becaise they werent at war.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.

Return to Characters and Creatures