FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Most Powerful Characters In Order?

<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 8th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Re: Most Powerful Characters In Order?

GinChaser wrote: Harry could cast a coporeal patronous, and ward off a ton of dementors at 13. Something that Hermione had difficulty with at 17.

Still not sure if that's magical power or power of concentration when in a tight spot.
<<

torrent56

First Year
First Year

Post September 9th, 2017, 9:14 am

Well I feel after Dumbledore, Voldemort and Grindelwald there's a whole chasing pack including McGonagall, Shacklebot, Bellatrix, Snape, Filtwick, Slughorn among others that become rather difficult to separate.

It's also very clear that just because one character is objectively more powerful than the other doesn't mean they will always win in a duel because there are so many other factors influencing a fight; the best example would probably be Bellatrix and Molly at the end of last book which unfortunately lots of people don't understand.

Grrarrggh wrote:
GinChaser wrote: Harry could cast a coporeal patronous, and ward off a ton of dementors at 13. Something that Hermione had difficulty with at 17.

Still not sure if that's magical power or power of concentration when in a tight spot.

I agree. I also believe Harry could become a far better wizard if he applied himself more to schoolwork and even if he showed himself to be a powerful wizard at times he had some surprisingly weak moments at school, e.g. being unable to learn summoning charm at the same pace as everyone else in GoF or lagging behind Hermione a lot in learning non-verbal spells.

Also I think the idea of powerful and the skills required can be very different in different contexts. For instance, I have no doubt that after PoA Harry would win a 1-1 duel against Hermione but it's probably a different story if they are both thrown into the wild alone and have to use their magic to survive.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 9th, 2017, 3:32 pm

A summoning charm is not a direct example of your magical power. A Patronous is.

Its one of the things that pisses me off about Harry. If a crazy wizard killed my parents and essentislly ruined my life....I would go all Batman on his ass. I would learn everything about Magic and make myself as good as I possibly could....

And then destroy him.

-- September 9th, 2017, 9:34 am --

Hermione has more magical knowledge to be sure. But that doesnt make her more powerful.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

MarsUltor

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post September 9th, 2017, 4:08 pm

GinChaser wrote:A summoning charm is not a direct example of your magical power. A Patronous is.

Its one of the things that pisses me off about Harry. If a crazy wizard killed my parents and essentislly ruined my life....I would go all Batman on his ass. I would learn everything about Magic and make myself as good as I possibly could....

And then destroy him.

-- September 9th, 2017, 9:34 am --

Hermione has more magical knowledge to be sure. But that doesnt make her more powerful.

Definitely. Also he is just like any muggle born wizard who knows nothing about wizarding world. Just learn everything you can, damn it.
<<

torrent56

First Year
First Year

Post September 9th, 2017, 8:57 pm

GinChaser wrote:A summoning charm is not a direct example of your magical power. A Patronous is.

I said the summoning charm was a weak moment for Harry not that it means he's weak or incompetent (and there's really nothing to say about non-verbal spells). Is that clear?

If you define magic power that way, then yes and I already acknowledged Harry is a powerful wizard spell-wise. I was looking at "powerful" in different contextes like survival skills which Harry found lacking in DH.

GinChaser wrote:Its one of the things that pisses me off about Harry. If a crazy wizard killed my parents and essentislly ruined my life....I would go all Batman on his ass. I would learn everything about Magic and make myself as good as I possibly could....

And then destroy him.

Lol yeah I totally agree. Why Harry didn't learn attempt to learn anything himself in HBP after hearing the prophecy beyond his potions textbook is beyond me. Also note his main motivation for learning new spells like the Patronus is surprise, Quidditch and one of his main angst in OotP was not being able to play Quidditch. Why?
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 10th, 2017, 5:44 am

No it's not. A patronous is an example of how well you can keep your "happy thought" in your head, especially in front of your worst nightmare.

As for Harry- his understandable hate for being forced to do things beyond his capacity and at the pure laziness and blasé of the wizarding world was much strong than his need to get revenge on some insane bloke. Especially given that he wasn't even an adult yet...
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 11th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Grrarrggh wrote:

No it's not. A patronous is an example of how well you can keep your "happy thought" in your head, especially in front of your worst nightmare.

As for Harry- his understandable hate for being forced to do things beyond his capacity and at the pure laziness and blasé of the wizarding world was much strong than his need to get revenge on some insane bloke. Especially given that he wasn't even an adult yet...

It also requires advanced magical power. If a happy thought was all it required then Hermione should have no trouble with it.

But lets talk about the Summoning Charm. Yes for a long while he has trouble with it....but when he does do it, he summons his firebolt from a very far distance.

<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 11th, 2017, 7:00 pm

GinChaser wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:

It also requires advanced magical power. If a happy thought was all it required then Hermione should have no trouble with it.

But lets talk about the Summoning Charm. Yes for a long while he has trouble with it....but when he does do it, he summons his firebolt from a very far distance.

Does it? Where is that said? So that means Neville is quite powerful, as are Luna, Ron, etc? Pretty much every member of the DA is super powerful? I always saw it as a spell that requires normal power, like essentially every spell out there, but is more emotions based. As with Avada Kedavra. Pretty much anyone can use it BUT you've got to mean it. You need emotions, will power, not magical power, to bring it off.
<<

torrent56

First Year
First Year

Post September 12th, 2017, 8:07 pm

GinChaser wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:

What about Harry's struggles with non-verbal spells which has the potential to save his life then? How do you know that the other students wouldn't be able to summon objects at a similar distance once they mastered the spell?
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 13th, 2017, 6:25 am

Grrarrggh wrote:
GinChaser wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:

Does it? Where is that said? So that means Neville is quite powerful, as are Luna, Ron, etc? Pretty much every member of the DA is super powerful? I always saw it as a spell that requires normal power, like essentially every spell out there, but is more emotions based. As with Avada Kedavra. Pretty much anyone can use it BUT you've got to mean it. You need emotions, will power, not magical power, to bring it off.

If you read up on Patronouses it says that it is a indication of great magical power.

I would say that warding off a 100 Dementors at the age of 13 is insanely powerful.

-- September 13th, 2017, 12:27 am --

torrent56 wrote:
GinChaser wrote:
Grrarrggh wrote:

What about Harry's struggles with non-verbal spells which has the potential to save his life then? How do you know that the other students wouldn't be able to summon objects at a similar distance once they mastered the spell?

Lets be honest here....we both know that Hermione practised that shot day and night. Harry, who was a lazy ass, did not.

However they all seem to be proficient with them when they come of age.

And who knows about the summoning charm. For all we know they could be.

But Harry did cast a shield charm so powerful that it has actually knocked people backwards...so theres that.

<<

torrent56

First Year
First Year

Post September 13th, 2017, 8:46 am

GinChaser wrote:If you read up on Patronouses it says that it is a indication of great magical power.

I would say that warding off a 100 Dementors at the age of 13 is insanely powerful.

I agree with what you said in principal. However, I believe what Grrarrggh is talking about is how some DA members like Hermione in OotP were apparently able to produce a corporal Patronus during their first DA meeting and they were only a few years older which kind of devalues the difficulty of the spell. The only defence I can think of is that they were not facing real dementors which makes the job much easier but then Harry had the time turner on his side when he got rid of those dementors at the age of 13.

GinChaser wrote:Lets be honest here....we both know that Hermione practised that shot day and night. Harry, who was a lazy ass, did not.

I know but it’s rather strange to hear how Harry is supposedly head and shoulders above everyone else in his year in DADA and yet to see him struggle with those non-verbal spells. Also Harry didn’t need to regret his laziness as Hermione was there to cover him in DH.
GinChaser wrote:However they all seem to be proficient with them when they come of age.

I might have forgotten something, but is there an instance where Harry successfully cast a non-verbal spell except hoisting Ron into the air using Snape’s textbook and refilling the wine bottle at Hagrid’s cabin during Aragog’s funeral under the influence of the lucky potion?
GinChaser wrote:And who knows about the summoning charm. For all we know they could be.
But Harry did cast a shield charm so powerful that it has actually knocked people backwards...so theres that.

True enough and it does reinforce the idea Harry is proficient at combat spells but those weak moments mentioned before still stands.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 13th, 2017, 10:46 pm

Quite frequently in book seven.

Ive long thought that you become more powerful when you come of age.

Time turner or not, he was still thirteen when he did it.

Previous

Return to Characters and Creatures