FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Does anyone else struggle to forgive Ron in DH?

<<

Goblet of Fire

First Year
First Year

Post June 11th, 2017, 10:00 am

Does anyone else struggle to forgive Ron in DH?

Okay so I've finally finished with the Deathly Hallows - both the book and the movie I had seen earlier and I love Ron's character. I've always loved Ron despite what he's done but I'm struggling to forgive him for his words to Harry in the tent about him having no family - it's downright cruel to be honest. I understand the Horcrux but was it really just that? Was he possessed or brainwashed to say those things to Harry? To abandon his best friend and girlfriend in the middle of the war where they could be killed? Where they were almost killed in Godric's Hollow? I forgave Ron's jealousy in Goblet of Fire because you could tell it was just an insecurity and he still worried for Harry enough to warn him about the dragons but this was in the middle of the war and Harry was the prime target. Can someone help me understand this a bit better?
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 11th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Re: Does anyone else struggle to forgive Ron in DH?

I have a harder time forgiving him in Goblet then I do in Hallows.

And Hagrid told him about the dragons. I dont hate Ron by any means though.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 11th, 2017, 3:39 pm

They were seventeen, let's be real. In the wizarding world that might mean they are adults, but realistically it might take a few more years for them to fully mature...
(he/she/they)
<<

Goblet of Fire

First Year
First Year

Post June 12th, 2017, 1:14 am

Even so, they were in the middle of a war. I'm gonna have to reread the Goblet of Fire because I thought it was Ron - like in the movie. I thought it more than made up for it. My main gripe is how mean it was to taunt Harry about having no family. There was never really an apology given - Ron kind of apologised to Hermione which was good, but I think Harry deserved an apology too. Then again Sirius never apologised to Remus about leading Snape to the Willow but...
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post June 12th, 2017, 6:02 pm

They were close enough friends that an apology was not verbally needed. Everything was understood. They hugged it out and moved on.
>>>Image<<<
>>>>>>>>... the artist formerly known as APWBD1881.<<<<<<<<
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 12th, 2017, 11:27 pm

What he did in book four was totally a meta problem put there by the author for Harry; not because the character would actually have done it. In DH Ron is under serious influence of the horcrux. And really, he says he wanted to go back the minute he was gone so it's not like he threw a months long temper tantrum.
<<

Goblet of Fire

First Year
First Year

Post June 13th, 2017, 1:00 am

So Ron kind of was possessed by the Horcrux? If he was, his actions are excusable but if they were completely his own than he's a pretty crap best friend, running away at the first sign of danger.
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post June 13th, 2017, 2:52 am

It is well established that being in close proximity to the horcrux, especially wearing it for periods of time, influenced each of them to make them angry, irritable and nasty. It brought their worst thoughts and feelings to the forefront.
>>>Image<<<
>>>>>>>>... the artist formerly known as APWBD1881.<<<<<<<<
<<

Goblet of Fire

First Year
First Year

Post June 13th, 2017, 4:37 am

Well it wasn't explained the best but while it can explain some of his behaviour, there are things that can't be taken back. What if Harry was killed in Godric's Hollow? Hermione too - not that Ron being there would have made a difference but the fact that he left them and they died in his absence
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 13th, 2017, 6:57 am

Goblet of Fire wrote:Well it wasn't explained the best but while it can explain some of his behaviour, there are things that can't be taken back. What if Harry was killed in Godric's Hollow? Hermione too - not that Ron being there would have made a difference but the fact that he left them and they died in his absence

It was explained well in the books....

As for what ifs, there are millions for each characters ever move.
<<

Goblet of Fire

First Year
First Year

Post June 13th, 2017, 9:05 am

It was explained in the books but I wouldn't say it was explained well. Of course I felt bad for Ron but it felt as if his relationship with Hermione distanced him from Harry and that's not right. A relationship should give you more security. It's a what-if I'm thinking of writing actually.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 14th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Goblet of Fire wrote:It was explained in the books but I wouldn't say it was explained well. Of course I felt bad for Ron but it felt as if his relationship with Hermione distanced him from Harry and that's not right. A relationship should give you more security. It's a what-if I'm thinking of writing actually.

It did give him more security. A security with Hermione, the other partner in the relationship. But at the point in DH they weren't even in a relationship beyond friendship.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post June 14th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Goblet of Fire wrote:It was explained in the books but I wouldn't say it was explained well. Of course I felt bad for Ron but it felt as if his relationship with Hermione distanced him from Harry and that's not right. A relationship should give you more security. It's a what-if I'm thinking of writing actually.

There was chapters and chapters about it.

It was the horcrux thag distances him from Harry.

<<

Goblet of Fire

First Year
First Year

Post June 15th, 2017, 3:40 am

Just because there's load of blob written on something does not mean it's well explained.

But honestly, reading the books makes me feel Ron is really a prat sometimes. He was awesome in Books 1-3 and semi-decent in Book 5 but sometimes the way he treats Harry and Hermione is really bad. I'm surprised Ron's never actually physically hit either of them in their fights, given how bad the PoA fight was. While I don't think this justifies the Ron the Death Eater trope, it does explain why some fans do dislike him.
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post July 4th, 2017, 1:15 pm

It's me. I loved Ron, I still love Ron. But I cannot forgive his actions in both Deathly Hallows and Goblet of Fire.

He is a prat and not much of a decent friend.

He's a fun character, Harry loves him. But I don't know. I feel heart-broken.
<<

torrent56

First Year
First Year

Post July 14th, 2017, 9:35 am

Goblet of Fire wrote:Okay so I've finally finished with the Deathly Hallows - both the book and the movie I had seen earlier and I love Ron's character. I've always loved Ron despite what he's done but I'm struggling to forgive him for his words to Harry in the tent about him having no family - it's downright cruel to be honest. I understand the Horcrux but was it really just that? Was he possessed or brainwashed to say those things to Harry? To abandon his best friend and girlfriend in the middle of the war where they could be killed? Where they were almost killed in Godric's Hollow? I forgave Ron's jealousy in Goblet of Fire because you could tell it was just an insecurity and he still worried for Harry enough to warn him about the dragons but this was in the middle of the war and Harry was the prime target. Can someone help me understand this a bit better?

Ron did not tell Harry he had no family in the books - that was in the movies. He accused Harry of not caring for his family which kind of makes sense from Ron's POV. Remember when Ron tried to find out how the Weasleys were doing Harry just ignored it and shrugged it off. When Harry found out Ginny was sent off to the Forbidden Forest he just said "big deal" now how does this look from Ron's perspective? Could you answer that please?

Also he didn't abandon his girlfriend - he wanted her to come with him. When she refused, he felt betrayed and acted before he had time to think which he regretted it immediately. Everyone at one time or the other does things in the heat of the moment which they regretted right away. It doesn't make them assholes. Harry "abandoned" Ron as well by telling him to go home a few times you know.
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post August 11th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Ok Ron was wearing the Horcrux.

Remember in Chamber of Secrets, no one knew who was petrifying Filch's cat and Muggleborn students.
The trio originally suspected Draco, because his whole family are Slytherin's so they thought he was the heir and had the key so they used a polyjuice potion to become Crabbe, Goyle, and Millicent but for poor Hermione it wasn't Millicent's hair it was the hair from Millicent's pet cat.
They find out its not Draco because he doesn't know, who's attacking.
Later Moaning Myrtles bathroom is flooded because something had been thrown at her and it upset her.
It turned out to be a diary 50 years old.
Then the diary turns out to be a Horcrux that was possessing Ginny Weasley who tried to throw it down Myrtle's toilet.
Tom Riddle aka Lord Voldemort is the heir and was possessing her to attack Filch's cat and students and kill chickens.
Do you think Ginny wanted to do that.

Ron and Ginny were just possessed.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post August 11th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Ron was not possessed because all trio could remember everything they were doing unlike Ginny. Ginny was possessed, Ron was just affected.

But the thing is; Hermione and Harry also wore the horcrux. They became bad-tempered, angry but they didn't behave like Ron. Ron was weak.
<<

torrent56

First Year
First Year

Post August 11th, 2017, 8:47 pm

MarsUltor wrote:Ron was not possessed because all trio could remember everything they were doing unlike Ginny. Ginny was possessed, Ron was just affected.

But the thing is; Hermione and Harry also wore the horcrux. They became bad-tempered, angry but they didn't behave like Ron. Ron was weak.

Yes but they didn't have to worry about having family members killed did they? Originally all Ron did was point out they weren't doing anything and Harry didn't know what he was doing (harsh but true) and then it's Harry being the bad leader he was who lashed out. Note I did not come to the conclusion that Harry was a bad leader just because of that one incident but rather because he repeatedly made bad decisions that endangered everyone and slowed their quest down ever since the start of DH.

Also saying Ron is weak because the others didn't bulk at the Horcrux is harsh at the very least and makes as much sense as saying Ron is a bad student because Hermione got a higher grade at school.
<<

DreamStrike

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 11th, 2017, 9:03 pm

I personally think that he said those things because he was a little bit frustrated. He was hungry and he didn't have much sleep, so he was naturally a little grumpy. The Horcrux just brought it out. After he took it out, he probably had a hard time swallowing his pride and saying sorry. He still felt bad after, and he made up for it by saving Harry's life. If Ron weren't there, there would be no Harry. Then Voldemort would have never been defeated! Also I don't think he was more affected then Ron and Harry because he was always overshadowed by his siblings. Maybe he wanted to prove himself. I think it's just Ron's background.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post August 11th, 2017, 9:57 pm

I think he was probably feeling very in adequate as it was, he has always been jealous of Harry's spotlight, he probably already felt like Hermione was too good for him....and then he sees Harry and Hermione spending more and more time together and feels even more overshadowed by Harry...and the Horcrux makes it all that much worse. Lets not forget that it was revealed in book one that his very greatest desire was to stand apart from his brothers and by extention...Harry and Hermione.

The other two dont suffer from this because both are only children and each have their own niche to fit into. Harry is the chosen one and Hermione is the smartest witch of her age. Id put her on at least McGonagalls level, if not border line Dumbledore.

<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post August 12th, 2017, 5:43 pm

I understand what Ron went through. It sucks really. He was the last of his brothers, he was much less powerful than both his best friend and the girl who he likes. But I still can't forgive him for what he did. There is no justifiable cause to leave Harry in his Horcrux hunt. It was the most important thing in the world to do.
<<

torrent56

First Year
First Year

Post August 12th, 2017, 8:50 pm

DreamStrike – What you said are all very true; I would just add the biggest reason is that they were wasting time doing nothing.

GinChaser wrote: Harry is the chosen one and Hermione is the smartest witch of her age. Id put her on at least McGonagalls level, if not border line Dumbledore.

Do you mean Hermione is McGonagalls level when they are at the same age? Dumbledore though is really stretching it when you have a look at Dumbledore’s achievements by the age of 17.

MarsUltor wrote: But I still can't forgive him for what he did. There is no justifiable cause to leave Harry in his Horcrux hunt. It was the most important thing in the world to do.

Well by the same logic Harry’s goading Ron to leave three times is inexcusable as well and the same goes for when he tortures a man for no good reason using an unforgivable curse during the Battle of Hogwarts. I thought an unforgivable curse on a human being means a life sentence in Azkaban?
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post August 12th, 2017, 10:46 pm

Harry didn't goad him, they were fighting because of Ron's idiocy. If your mention of Unforgivable is on Amycus Carrow, I support Harry.
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post August 12th, 2017, 10:51 pm

MarsUltor wrote:I understand what Ron went through. It sucks really. He was the last of his brothers, he was much less powerful than both his best friend and the girl who he likes. But I still can't forgive him for what he did. There is no justifiable cause to leave Harry in his Horcrux hunt. It was the most important thing in the world to do.

Its not important that Ron left. Its important that he came back.

-- August 12th, 2017, 4:53 pm --

torrent56 wrote:DreamStrike – What you said are all very true; I would just add the biggest reason is that they were wasting time doing nothing.

GinChaser wrote: Harry is the chosen one and Hermione is the smartest witch of her age. Id put her on at least McGonagalls level, if not border line Dumbledore.

Do you mean Hermione is McGonagalls level when they are at the same age? Dumbledore though is really stretching it when you have a look at Dumbledore’s achievements by the age of 17.

MarsUltor wrote: But I still can't forgive him for what he did. There is no justifiable cause to leave Harry in his Horcrux hunt. It was the most important thing in the world to do.

Well by the same logic Harry’s goading Ron to leave three times is inexcusable as well and the same goes for when he tortures a man for no good reason using an unforgivable curse during the Battle of Hogwarts. I thought an unforgivable curse on a human being means a life sentence in Azkaban?

I was talking pure intelligence, not magical talent. But yes...at the same age.

Next

Return to Characters and Creatures