Bellatrix Lestrange

<<

GellertGPhoenix

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post March 19th, 2017, 4:58 am

Bellatrix Lestrange

When do you think she became evil?

I'll admit I have no real defense for this character. She seems to be pitiless, ruthless, cold, sadistic, maniacal...

I believe Bella to be a power-hungry character. She is the oldest of her sisters; independent, sharp witted, and even potentially something of a control freak. She feels some need for control over her youngest sister, Narcissa. I think that she fears that Narcissa will also "betray her" and her cause, similarly to how Andromeda did. Why does this matter to Bellatrix? Because if both her sisters leave her and her cause, there will be an inkling of doubt within her... she will realize that she is not in control, and that she has done something wrong- By this "I've done something wrong" I mean more "I've made someone who matters to me unhappy, I don't like this situation." It's a kind of empty apology regret, a band-aid to cover a scar. She may be sorry for having them gone, or for upsetting them, if anything. When Andromeda married Ted Tonks, I suspect Bella felt angry and betrayed. Everything she had ever known, ever been taught... Andromeda had essentially spit on it. Bellatrix would not try to understand her younger sister though. Keep in mind- Andromeda is her younger sister. Bellatrix is oldest. Partially due to this, I think, Bella believes that she knows best. She is the oldest, the most experienced, and her sisters should be looking to her as an example. And when she is not in control... She is upset.

So... Bellatrix being a control freak... Thoughts, anyone?
(he/she/they)
<<

Sylvia

First Year
First Year

Post March 19th, 2017, 10:41 am

Re: Bellatrix Lestrange

To be honest, I had never thought of that. It does make some sense but I don't think it is what is responsible for her maniacal behaviour.
In my opinion Bellatrix is a psychopath who gets pleasure from torturing and killing people. Her obssesion with the pure blood was caused by her family and grew with Andromeda's wedding.
In our world she would pprobably become a serial killer and she would definately need help by an expert, such as a psychaitrist.
Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself
<<

GinChaser

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post March 19th, 2017, 2:39 pm

I think, partially, it has to do with the pure blood mania that she was raised. I think in a lot of ways she represents an opposite to Voldemort. (Now as everyone knows, I believe that voldemort was capable of love...but I will stipulate that he was not intended to) Bellatrix felt emotions very, very deeply. She was obsessed with Voldemort and unlike him...she enjoyed causing pain.

She is sadistic, but more importantly, she suffets from deep conviction. What you see in her actions is the power of belief.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post March 19th, 2017, 4:03 pm

GinChaser wrote:I think, partially, it has to do with the pure blood mania that she was raised. I think in a lot of ways she represents an opposite to Voldemort. (Now as everyone knows, I believe that voldemort was capable of love...but I will stipulate that he was not intended to) Bellatrix felt emotions very, very deeply. She was obsessed with Voldemort and unlike him...she enjoyed causing pain.

She is sadistic, but more importantly, she suffets from deep conviction. What you see in her actions is the power of belief.

The sociopaths that love are the most dangerous sort.
(he/she/they)
<<

GinChaser

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post March 19th, 2017, 4:33 pm

GellertGPhoenix wrote:
GinChaser wrote:I think, partially, it has to do with the pure blood mania that she was raised. I think in a lot of ways she represents an opposite to Voldemort. (Now as everyone knows, I believe that voldemort was capable of love...but I will stipulate that he was not intended to) Bellatrix felt emotions very, very deeply. She was obsessed with Voldemort and unlike him...she enjoyed causing pain.

The sociopaths that love are the most dangerous sort.

I'm hesitant to venture into this because I looked like an idiot last time, but I'm not sure that I would classify Bellatrix as a sociopath. There is definitely something wrong there, for sure, but I'm not sure that sociopathy is it.

Definitely something rotten in the state of Denver, though.

<<

GellertGPhoenix

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post March 20th, 2017, 4:31 am

GinChaser wrote:
GellertGPhoenix wrote:The sociopaths that love are the most dangerous sort.

I'm hesitant to venture into this because I looked like an idiot last time, but I'm not sure that I would classify Bellatrix as a sociopath. There is definitely something wrong there, for sure, but I'm not sure that sociopathy is it.

Definitely something rotten in the state of Denver, though.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with sociopaths in and of themselves. Someone can have the brain combination of a sociopath or psychopath and still be a perfectly decent and caring person. It's nature and nurture; not solely one over the other. Sociopathy isn't Bellatrix's problem, per say, but it might make her more susceptible to violent actions and obsessive, passionate feelings.
(he/she/they)
<<

Hermionesbrains

Muggle
Muggle

Post March 20th, 2017, 11:30 am

Sociopathy and psychopathy actually contradict the person to be caring and loving. that^s a big part of the disorder. It is a personality disorder so not something you are born with per se. there is as far as science knows not a single mental disorder which is purely genetic. So yes you can have genetic sociopathic tendencies ( as in antisocial personality disorder) but due to a very nurturing and loving upbringing those tendencies remain just that, genetic tendencies which may come out at some point, or not. once those tendencies erupt though, this often happens in childhood but not always, loving and decent and caring are probably not the strongest attributes to those people.
<<

Delorusisasnake

Muggle
Muggle

Post March 20th, 2017, 4:55 pm

can someone help me, how do i create a new post? im new to this
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post March 21st, 2017, 1:49 am

Delorusisasnake wrote:can someone help me, how do i create a new post? im new to this

There is a golden "New Topic" Button in the upper left hand corner when you are in a specific section of the forums (Like "Characters and Creatures" would be one of said sections for example.)

-- March 20th, 2017, 7:56 pm --

Hermionesbrains wrote:Sociopathy and psychopathy actually contradict the person to be caring and loving. that^s a big part of the disorder. It is a personality disorder so not something you are born with per se. there is as far as science knows not a single mental disorder which is purely genetic. So yes you can have genetic sociopathic tendencies ( as in antisocial personality disorder) but due to a very nurturing and loving upbringing those tendencies remain just that, genetic tendencies which may come out at some point, or not. once those tendencies erupt though, this often happens in childhood but not always, loving and decent and caring are probably not the strongest attributes to those people.

I never said it was purely genetic. In fact I'm pretty sure that I said specifically "It's nature and nurture"- as most disorders in science are. You are pretty much repeating my words. So great. We agree.

Sociopaths "loving" is... Different, than what most people would consider love. It's obsessive, passionate, and often unhealthy and dangerous.
The emotional aspect of it is that the sociopath will need the security of having their significant other. The sociopath will essentially "love" that security, and become obsessive of the means, i.e. their partner. To my understanding, that is.

Bellatrix loves Voldemort partly I think, because he has power. When she is close to him, she has power.
(he/she/they)
<<

GinChaser

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post April 21st, 2017, 6:43 am

I think she is in love with the idea of him as well.

<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post April 21st, 2017, 12:05 pm

She has probably always been evil. I see her as the child that kills and tortures animals, probably spent a lot of time terrorizing the house elves, to her parents amusement, and had a pompusly high opinion of herself over everyone else, lending to the idea that some people shouldn't even look at the Dark Lord wrong, but she is worthy to be his "love."
>>>Image<<<
<<

GinChaser

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post April 21st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Your thinking straight up serial killer bench marks.

<<

GellertGPhoenix

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post April 23rd, 2017, 7:55 pm

Bucko wrote:She has probably always been evil. I see her as the child that kills and tortures animals, probably spent a lot of time terrorizing the house elves, to her parents amusement, and had a pompusly high opinion of herself over everyone else, lending to the idea that some people shouldn't even look at the Dark Lord wrong, but she is worthy to be his "love."

No one has "always been evil" Some better words might be selfish, neglected, stubborn, overly-curious, angry, spiteful, egotistic, ambitious... Children can start off growing up having all of these traits, or none of them, or any number in between. I think that as a child, Bella was selfish, egotistic, stubborn, ambitious and overly-curious. I was also all of these traits as a child (among other positive ones). That doesn't = evil, but can lead to such with certain types of upbringing. Luckily, my parents were both nurturing and kind in my upringing, and taught me that people harming others is very bad, and that being selfish and stubborn and egotistic are also generally negative traits that I should try to keep an eye on, to keep them in check. I am a different person now, meaning, I am aware of my flaws, and I try to rise above them. I believe that Bella had very different upbringing than I.
(he/she/they)

Return to Characters and Creatures