FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Upgrading Forum Software

<<

Alastor

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post January 6th, 2013, 1:40 am

Upgrading Forum Software

The last post includes the date and time of the upgrade and when the forums will be closed!

In the next couple days, we will be moving from our current forum software (phpBB 2) to phpBB 3. This upgrade will enhance security, reliability, and features for everyone. This will require a lot of new changes and might come with some growing pains. One of those includes abnormalities in the ranks shown in thread discussions. You may still view your ranks entirely in your profile.

The following things will happen:

• The black forum layout will be removed and changed to something else
  • The ranking system will remain the same, but there will be slight differences in implementation
  • The overall forum structure will be different for those who have not used other forums using phpBB 3, we will update support articles to include these changes
  • New features will be available to everyone, these will vary depending on what we decide to add, disable and change

You might experience errors or slowness on the site for the next couple days. We will do our best to accommodate everyone and let people know ahead of time about major problems that come up. A second post will be made here when we decide to perform the update, including the time and date we close the forums.
Last edited by Alastor on January 18th, 2013, 6:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
RIP Steve Jobs -- 1955-2011 -- The world's greatest technological mastermind and visionary.
<<

Alastor

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post January 8th, 2013, 10:46 pm

Sorry for the sudden shut down on the forums. There was a couple database changes I made which required the forums to be closed temporarily. Unfortunately these changes could not wait as they were crucial to the security of the board.

Thank you for your patience,

-Phil
RIP Steve Jobs -- 1955-2011 -- The world's greatest technological mastermind and visionary.
<<

Alastor

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post January 18th, 2013, 5:08 am

Well, the time has finally arrived!

We will be upgrading Potter Forums to phpBB 3 between January 19th through the 20th. Expect the forums to be offline at approximately 10:00 AM on the 19th, EST. This might vary by a few hours. As for when the forums will be back online, I honestly couldn't give you a clear time on Sunday, as each step in the upgrade can be unpredictable speed wise. I will do my best to have things online for you all no later than Monday.

Thank you for your patience and dedication to our community!

Return to Announcements