FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Shell Cottage fidelius charm

<<

Emilie

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 21st, 2016, 11:28 pm

Shell Cottage fidelius charm

I was rereading DH and noticed something I didn't quite get to fit in.

Bill mentions that Shell Cottage is under the protection of a fidelius charm, and he himself is secret keeper. Remus confirms this when he brings the news of the arrival of baby Teddy, and says that Bill himself told shared the position of Shell Cottage with him. This is all cool.

What I don' understand is that Ron say he stayed there during his.. brake from Hermione and Harry. How can he have found the place without being told the secret by Bill? I do realise that Bill is his brother and may very well have told Ron before the trio left for their mission.

But then there's Dobby(may he rest in peace). RON told him to take Luna, Dean and Mr. Ollivander to Shell Cottage, and he managed even though Ron shouldn't be able to tell anyone how to get to SC, according to the laws of the charm. Doesn't it apply to house elves and other creatures?

And if it doesn't, isn't that a major flaw of the fidelius charm, as the masters then could send their house elf to do what they themselves cannot do because of the charm?
What am I missing here? :lol:

-- I thought i was posting this in the DH book's board, but obviously failed. And now it seems I am too stupid to figure out how to delete it or move it. Oh well.. --
Hope I'm not too harsh, I love you all, really! :love: :lol:
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post May 22nd, 2016, 7:37 pm

Re: Shell Cottage fidelius charm

I haven't read DH for around a year or so, so apologies if this answer is incorrect, but this is how I always understood it:

The Fidelius Charm wasn't used until Dobby saved the trio from Malfoy Manor, thus exposing the fact that Ron was actually with Harry, and not slowly dying at the Burrow. This placed all the Weasleys at immediate danger, something they weren't necessarily in before, hence why Ginny was still attending Hogwarts and Arthur/Bill were still going to work at the Ministry.

So until this moment, anyone could apparate to Shell Cottage or the Burrow. But the trio getting captured changed everything, and led to the extra protection.

As for the argument about House Elf magic being able to break at Fidelius Charm, I don't think there's a definitive answer to that, but you make a very valid point that anyone could just send their House Elf to find the location of someone. Although there's plenty of evidence of Wizards degrading House Elves and not appreciating how powerful they are...I'm not so sure.

I do think the Fidelius Charm poses a lot of issues (such as James Potter not making himself the Secret Keeper when he used it) but I think in this instance it's explainable. :)
<<

Emilie

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 22nd, 2016, 7:47 pm

Ah, of course it wasn't used until Ron was seen! Didn't even think of that :lol:

And what you say about James: I've always been annoyed that he didn't become secret keeper himself, as they would all have been safe as long as he stayed inside... I believe Dumbledore offered to be secret keeper as well, and seeing that he is much stronger than any of the others (especially Peter wtf), he would be the logical choice if they did not want to use Sirius. I do realise that they had several reasons for choosing Peter, but to me it still seems silly and completely unnecessary to use the least competent of all the peoplw thet knew...
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post May 22nd, 2016, 8:53 pm

It took me a while to remember, tbh :lol: at first I thought it was all done when the Trio escaped at the Wedding, but that wouldn't have made sense.

Yeah the James not being Secret Keeper has irked me ever since Bill declared his was Secret Keeper at Shell Cottage. If you can the Secret Keeper yourself, why wouldn't you be? The only explanation i've received is that James trusted people too much, which just seems like a weak explanation to me.
<<

Emilie

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 22nd, 2016, 9:02 pm

Both James and Dumblydore trusts people too much. But why trust someone else with your life and put them in danger if you can just... not, and be secret keeper yourself?

Can a baby be secret keeper though? E.g. baby Harry? I do see the impracticality of it, not being able to tell anyone of your hiding place (a baby can't talk or write obv). But if your sole purpose was to not be found by anyone, not even friends, that would be a foolproof way, would it not? :lol:
<<

triolover

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 5th, 2016, 12:56 am

The point is we needed to see that Harry is like James in that betraying your friends is the height of dishonor. J.K. needed to do that so that Harry could be the hero and trust his friends even to a fault.

Return to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows