FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Romione kiss: Huge let down?

<<

BlessYouFred

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 5th, 2014, 1:20 am

Romione kiss: Huge let down?

I feel like the kiss between Ron and Hermione in the movie was just slapped in anywhere. It was completely different and lacked the emotion of the kiss in the book.
In the book
Spoiler: show
Hermione kisses Ron after he expresses his concern for the safety of the house elves. This shows to Hermione that he has cared all along, that she has influenced him in a positive way and he has become a more considerate person because of her nagging:he cared enough to listen. She drops everything she's holding to the floor and she goes red in the face. Everything she wished for, for Ron to care, has come true and the joy of it overwhelmed her so that she simply can't hold in her love anymore and she races to kiss him.

And that is truly wonderful. In the film however, their kiss was at a completely random and irrelevant place after a rather insignificant event. Not using spoiler tags as I assume if you're in this forum you've seen the movie. A huge wave comes down and splashes them. They giggle and all of a sudden, theyre all over each other. There is no romance or dialogue build up and I remember Sittin there, as a Romione shipper, in the cinema and feeling like Id just been slapped in the face. Waves of disappointment coursed through me and I thoroughly hoped it was a joke.
I feel it was one of the worst book to screen translations of the series and really didn't meet my personal expectations. What do you think? Did it annoy you, or were you just finally glad to see a moment of passion between Ron and Hermione? Please give me your opinion on not only the kiss, but other scenes you felt were a let down compared to their portrayals in the books.:)
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post May 5th, 2014, 1:33 am

Re: Romione kiss: Huge let down?

I actually didn't mind the kiss in the chamber of secrets in the movie, it obviously was completely different to the book but I have friends who have never and will never read the books, no matter how hard I try and make them, and they thought it was well done and the dialogue between them, like Ron mentioning Hermione saying the RoR is not on the Marauders Map when they are trying to find Harry after ward and the way he ran off after the Slyrherin's shouting about Hermione being his girlfriend was enough for them, they thought it summed up the relationship for them and showed that passion and love Ron especially has for Hermione in those scenes.

Personally I liked it better in the books, but that is probably because I prefer the books to the movies, even though both are great. But I can see, like my friends, husband and brothers, who never read the books, that the kiss, and the scenes following with Ron and Hermione were translated right on screen.

Harry and Ginny however they didn't understand, I had to fill in some blanks for them with that one because they just sort of .... I don't know .... it was just not right in the movies. It wasn't really played on enough. But that is coming from people who haven't read the books. I explained some missing scenes, Ginny things, in the books and how much she really really liked Harry and so on, as well as how the relationship was built up in the books and they understand now but think Ron and Hermione made sense, Harry and Ginny did not.
Thanks to MirkPrince for the siggy
<<

BlessYouFred

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 5th, 2014, 1:55 am

Pretty_Twisted wrote:I actually didn't mind the kiss in the chamber of secrets in the movie, it obviously was completely different to the book but I have friends who have never and will never read the books, no matter how hard I try and make them, and they thought it was well done and the dialogue between them, like Ron mentioning Hermione saying the RoR is not on the Marauders Map when they are trying to find Harry after ward and the way he ran off after the Slyrherin's shouting about Hermione being his girlfriend was enough for them, they thought it summed up the relationship for them and showed that passion and love Ron especially has for Hermione in those scenes.

Personally I liked it better in the books, but that is probably because I prefer the books to the movies, even though both are great. But I can see, like my friends, husband and brothers, who never read the books, that the kiss, and the scenes following with Ron and Hermione were translated right on screen.

Harry and Ginny however they didn't understand, I had to fill in some blanks for them with that one because they just sort of .... I don't know .... it was just not right in the movies. It wasn't really played on enough. But that is coming from people who haven't read the books. I explained some missing scenes, Ginny things, in the books and how much she really really liked Harry and so on, as well as how the relationship was built up in the books and they understand now but think Ron and Hermione made sense, Harry and Ginny did not.

I understand what you mean, but I suppose when a) you love Ron and Hermione as much as I do you just want everything to be perfect for them and b) you know the ideal situation presented in the books before seeing it on screen and just get diss appointed when they aren't portrayed as accurately as you want them to be:) for someone who never read the books then yes it was ok, but for people who had read this and pictured it and expected it to be so romantic and epic , it didn't do those dedicated fans justice in my opinion.

As for Hinny,I completely agree with you. I re read and watched HBP last week and their chemistry is so much better in the books. Harry's humour and sarcasm as he matured matched pefectly with Ginnys passionate and funny personality in the books as if they were just one unstoppable, incorruptible force of good as they were both so dedicated to doing what was right and just. All of Ginnys humour was left behind by the film so that every "moment" they had was awkward and cringey as opposed to just natural and instinctual. The passionate kiss they share in celebration in the common room definitely expressed how easy it was for them to be together compared to the weird kiss they share in the room of requirement in the film.
Hinny: another relationship whose big moment was portrayed in the film with barely half the emotion of the books.
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post May 5th, 2014, 2:22 am

I get what you mean, especially since you are a Romione fan, personally I am not so much, not that I am one to go and say Harry should be with Hermione or anything like that, because, no, not right, but I guess I just didn't care either way.

I just went and flipped through my book to that bit and read it properly, even showed it to my husband and made him read it, and it was much more emotional in the book, but maybe they thought that wouldn't translate as well on the screen? They figured they did it correct the way they did.

Any other specific Ron and Hermione moments come to mind that you though either should have been in the films or was done wrong in the films?
<<

BlessYouFred

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 5th, 2014, 2:38 am

Seriously glad theres another person that thinks Harry and Hermione is just wrong!:D

But no, apart from the kiss I quite liked the way the Romione relationship was hinted along in the films, especially all those little moments of caring between them such as when they just sat down and played piano together or when she immediately hugged Ron because he was ok after the flight of the seven potters. Hated the horrible way Ron treated her in the earlier films, particularly when he ruined the Yule ball. But in hindsight we know it was because he was confused about his feelings for her. I like all the moments they have together in the films, but if there is one scene I wish was in the films it's when Ron and Hermione comfort each other at Dumbledores funeral. The image is very powerful and always gets me emotional. They lean on each other for support and confirms the hint jk gave earlier in HBP when Ron called for Hermione instead of lavender in the hospital wing. So in total I think only being unhappy with two scenes of the whole relationship is quite good and I would say in general, I'm happy with the way the relationship was translated to the screen.
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post May 5th, 2014, 2:59 am

Oh yeah that comforting moment at Dumbledore's funeral is a strong image. I had forgotten about what one.

But yeah I liked the development they had, I think for the most part it translated well on screen, I loved the cute little things like the piano playing moment and the hugging Ron as soon as he is back from getting Harry from Privet Drive. I think they did it rather well in that even if you haven't read the books all the signs were there anyway. Even how upset Hermione was when Ron left them in the middle of the Horcrux hunt, and the way the two of them were when Ron finally came back, I thought that spoke a lot about their relationship as well.

A LOT of people were all for Harry and Hermione though and thought it was a chance with that dancing scene in the tent when Ron is gone, but to me that was just two friends, much like me and my best friend, we do stupid stuff like that all the time, but we aren't and never will or would have been romantically involved with each other. I went to him needing advice about boys for crying out loud lol that is the kind of relationship Harry and Hermione have, and I like it like that, though loads think differently on that one.
<<

BlessYouFred

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 5th, 2014, 11:46 am

Dancing scene made me cringe a bit! I knew it was only a bit of fun between friends but I hated when I was talking to people who hadn't read the book after watching DH P1 who were like ooooh love triangle, which man will she choose? And thinking no no no no there's no competition. JK announcing that Romione was a mistake broke my heart in two, as I always loved the way that the two main male and female characters didnt get together and how she never created a love triangle in the books- its another way how the series is just unique and different to so many others!
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post May 6th, 2014, 1:21 am

Haha yeah I laughed when people were saying about the love triangle thing.

Oh yeah I remember when JKR said that about Ron and Hermione, a lot of people agreed with that. I didn't mind the idea of Ron and Hermione, they were cute enough, but I know I never would have wanted Harry and Hermione lol
<<

raclle

Auror
Auror

Post May 25th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Totally agree with the OP,it was terrible, not romantic at all.It just happened out of nowhere and felt anti-climatic
<<

frodosinmypocket

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 9th, 2014, 1:33 pm

I liked all of the little moments leading up to the kiss such as the piano scene and hugging Ron when he's back as mentioned above. I think it's very realistic as to how young relationships progress. Two people like each other and care about each other and there's that part before they actually commit where they are flirty and acting like a couple, but aren't "official" yet.

I wasn't a fan of the kiss in the movie, though. It wasn't the timing that bothered me, but it just didn't seem passionate enough. I also didn't like the kiss that Harry and Ginny share during the Battle of Hogwarts. It was very awkward and short for a time when either of them could be dead the next time they see each other.
<<

AurorMarkonn

First Year
First Year

Post October 14th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Book kiss....good
Film kiss.....bad

In some respect, as they just looked at each other after getting soaked, and basically jumped each other, it was like you'd imagine when some friends say "make out, go on, for fun" and you just jump each other to be stupid.
Wasn't well done at all.

Harry and Ginnys was a quick kiss, then a look and "i know".... nothing in it. Needed more to express feelings.
<<

Loony Lovegoodxx

Muggle
Muggle

Post November 10th, 2014, 12:10 pm

I actually think I liked the movie kiss a little more than the book one :o

It was just a little more romantic and exciting to me inside the chamber with all the water :p
<<

Assassin

ANBU
ANBU

Post January 21st, 2015, 10:49 am

a kiss is like that.. you know? no shivers, no flowers blooming, nothing.. also they were kinda in the middle of a battle.. to much screentime for kiddy love would've destroyed the dramatic tension of the movie..

Return to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows