FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Post your Deathly Hallows part 2 reviews here

Which option CLOSEST fits how you thought of the movie?

Movie was great! 4 stars
76%
Movie was good. 3 stars
13%
Movie was meh 2 stars
6%
Movie was bad... 1 star
6%

Total votes : 120
<<

Smallville Wizard

Second Year
Second Year

Post July 18th, 2011, 8:51 am

You know, this reminds me of when the Lord of the Rings (I'm also a LOTR fan, in addition to being a Potterite) movies were released.

When they came out, some people (more of a vocal minority than anything) complained because the movies weren't a word-for-word, page-by-page adaptation of the books. Even though Peter Jackson made very faithful adaptations, respecting Tolkien all the way, as well as making three awesome movies.

And that's how I feel of the people who speak ill of this movie.

Sure, there are some changes here and there, but the bulk of the book is there. Just as it didn't matter back then if Faramir got tempted by the One Ring or if they cut out Tom Bombadil, it doesn't matter now if Snape dies in a different place or if they cut out Teddy Lupin.

Everything important from the Deathly Hallows book is in this movie, and that's what matters.

Overall, a great ending to one of the greatest movie series of all time. It was everything I hoped for and more.
*points wand at Hermione*

ENGORGIO!

*Hermione grows ten feet tall*
<<

Lila Bard

The Slayer
The Slayer

Post July 18th, 2011, 9:38 am

I just booked tickets for tonight's 3D show. My review will follow!
<<

Smallville Wizard

Second Year
Second Year

Post July 18th, 2011, 10:05 am

Nona wrote:I just booked tickets for tonight's 3D show. My review will follow!

Yeah...I didn't see it in 3D.

Linkara said it best:

"I watch movies on the screen, not on the air in front of it."

And that's why I refuse to watch movies in 3D.
*points wand at Hermione*

ENGORGIO!

*Hermione grows ten feet tall*
<<

Lila Bard

The Slayer
The Slayer

Post July 18th, 2011, 11:04 am

Lol, we each have our preferences. I would prefer to be sucked into the screen and instantly be part of the HP world. I hope 3D movies are a small step towards accomplishing that. So 3D, here I come.

/schizodreams
<<

SilverSeverus

First Year
First Year

Location: Watching the giant squid through the Common room window

Post July 18th, 2011, 1:03 pm

What can i say it was EPIC especially in 3D soon as i come out i wanted to go straight back in and watch all over again :D

I cried like i knew i would and so did my daughter who for most of the way there was telling me how din i was getting upset lol

it really was epic and i enjoyed every scene i did however come away wishing we had seen more of the other characters during the battle especially the weasleys, Remus and Tonks it did seem squeezed in.
But i realise that the main plot has always been Harry and his fate so that is the story line most closely followed

Gringotts i loved it all :D
When severus was summond to vodermort i grabbed my daughters hand and when Nagini attcked him Gahh i felt sick
then seeing the wesleys and remus and tonks that was horrible
then the Princes Tale i blubbed from start to finish, and my god the last part with Severus and Lily in the house... Hats off to Alan Rickman he was suberbly amazing and i will forever be greatful he was cast as Snape and made him come alive like he has.
Also during the scene where McGonagall stands in front of Harry was very well done you could see in his eyes he didnt want to be doing what he was.

Cant wait to go back 3d IMAX next time :D

In all the series of films caputred my heart as much as the books and i see them as two stand alone, things much like LOTR stuff was cut and added to the films. but on the whole they were genius. Its near impossible to translate a book to film when there is so much going on so long live Harry Potter in both forms <3
"Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'"

WalnutOwl101
Wand: 11 1/4 Holly, Unicorn hair, Suprisingly swishy
<<

Rodrigo

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 18th, 2011, 4:20 pm

It was really emotive the scene were Snape is crying while huging Lily and you see baby Harry crying also in the background,quite sad
<<

SiriuslySeverus

Death Eater
Death Eater

Post July 18th, 2011, 4:31 pm

Rodrigo wrote:It was really emotive the scene were Snape is crying while huging Lily and you see baby Harry crying also in the background,quite sad

That scene killed me! :cry:
Formerly known as "LuvSnape"
Slytherin Mud-Blood
Pottermore: HawthornMarauder173
<<

Rodrigo

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 18th, 2011, 8:38 pm

That is one of the scenes that wasn't precisely in the book but it didn't make it worse but a lot better
<<

SiriuslySeverus

Death Eater
Death Eater

Post July 18th, 2011, 9:04 pm

^Agreed.

I actually cried more the second time I watched DH2 :?

Advantages to having divorced parents: You get to watch HP movies twice while they're still in cinema; once with your mom and once with your dad. :P
Slytherin Mud-Blood
<<

Lila Bard

The Slayer
The Slayer

Post July 18th, 2011, 9:12 pm

That was an awesome scene, yes. I felt like crying (I didn't, I try to avoid crying in public, but I felt it). And when James, Lily, Sirius and Remus showed up, I felt so much gratitude towards them... They were really needed, and I felt better about the whole scene because of their presence.

The Gringotts rollercoaster shots were amazing in 3D. I loved Gringotts again, I loved Aberforth, Neville, Molly Weasly, and I adored Severus Snape once again. When Nagini attacked, I jumped. I am terrified of snakes, and she was every bit as horrifying as she should have been. I held on to my boyfriend when she attacked Snape, and later, when she was after Hermione and Ron.

Bellatrix was magnificent, and I loved to see her as Hermione. She was completely different, and I really saw a different person there.

The one thing I liked less was the percentage of men amongst the Death Eaters. Bella and Narcissa were as good as the only women, and I think there should have been more. But that's okay.

Time for a post-Potter depression. But I feel the makers of the movie have done justice to JKR. Kudos to them.

Edit: remind me never to post again in the middle of the night. Typos...
Last edited by Lila Bard on July 20th, 2011, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

barrytrotter

First Year
First Year

Post July 19th, 2011, 12:53 am

I've not always been a big fan of David Yates' direction of the HP movies, and although there were huge chunks of information missing from this film (surprise surprise), the film itself was actually enjoyable and well put together for a change.

However, too much information (some important and some not-so) was missing from the last 3 films which meant that, in my opinion, there was not much hope for this one having it in aswell. The thing I wished that was touched upon (not just for this film but the 3 preceeding it) was Horcruxes: there was no locket in OotP and there was no back story to the horcruxes in HBP.

As a overall two part film adaptation of the book, I wonder if the producers, writers etc even knew what the title was, because I don't physically remember anything much about the hallows except for the Three Brothers story in part one and the brief explanation from Ollivander in part two. There was no urgency or internal battle within the trio about the Hallows and how much Harry wanted to race voldemort to the wand etc.

I would go into more but unless the films get remade in the future, we'll have to suffice with the saga we have, but I have a feeling in a number of years there will be an animated version of the films that could possibly explain more detail from the books (this, however, would be about 20-30 years from now to re-invigorate the series)
Wand:11", Ash, Phoenix tail feather
House: Gryffindor
Patronus: Dragon
<<

potterman95

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 19th, 2011, 1:16 am

Review

HP7 Part 2 was excellent although a tad bit sad that it is the end it was a good film
Sirius Black
<<

Heat

G.O.A.T.
G.O.A.T.

Post July 19th, 2011, 2:55 am

The movie was based almost entirely on Harry. There were basically no scenes, except the Snape memories, that didn't include Harry. I think they should have focused more on the other order members in the battle, and how Fred died. I personally think the Battle of Hogwarts wasn't as EPIC as I thought it would be.
"How do you sleep at night?" "On a bed made of money." - Don Draper
<<

hayden_potter

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post July 19th, 2011, 5:55 am

HEAT wrote:The movie was based almost entirely on Harry. There were basically no scenes, except the Snape memories, that didn't include Harry. I think they should have focused more on the other order members in the battle, and how Fred died. I personally think the Battle of Hogwarts wasn't as EPIC as I thought it would be.

It's not called "The Order of the Phoenix and the Deathly Hallows..."
<<

MagicalMuggle92

First Year
First Year

Post July 19th, 2011, 2:16 pm

You know, at first I was just a little disappointed by the battle scenes, but now I'm rereading the book, and what they show in the movie is just like the book. The book just seems longer because I'm actually reading words so....but yeah, and plus in the book, your looking directly from Harry's eyes. In the movie they have to focus on the big picture, so now I am totally satisfied. This movie was amazing, and I really wanna see it again. :(
"Look....at........me.....you have your mother's eyes.."
<<

Celinde

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 19th, 2011, 9:12 pm

I couldn't have wanted more from this movie. I've never cried before when watching the HP movies, but this time it really struck me.

I admit, though, that I was a bit disappointed they didn't show Teddy and Victoire & the fact that we didn't actually see Fred die, just falling to the ground and then dead in the great hall. I really didn't like the Harry/Ginny kiss in this one, it was even worse than the HBP one, but oh well. All the Snape scenes were brilliantly done and I really enjoyed the music and the opening in this one and how we saw McGonagall in action! It got so emotional when the Quidditch pitch was burning and falling apart and when Lily was talking to baby Harry. It was heartbreaking, truly. I didn't like the King's Cross visual much either, how Dumby and Harry had clothes on. It made the whole thing unpure. They were supposed to be naked as bad as that sounds. Also, why in the hell was Voldemort covered in blood like that? The station was supposed to be a peaceful place and that ruined it for me. Ugh, just no. I also didn't really like how Harry did not use his invisibility cloak after Hagrid carried his body back nor how Harry didn't ask Ollivander about his broken wand. But overall I have to admit it was an amazing movie even if these few minor things bothered me. There are probably other things that I can't recall at the moment that I would like to mention, so I might edit this later on.

Overall a 9/10, it was, after all, a breath taking finale! I will miss the series so much! :cry:

Hogwarts will always be there to welcome me home, though, no matter my age or what goes on in my life. ~
<<

Professor Squirrel

A Free Elf
A Free Elf

Post July 20th, 2011, 6:00 pm

I've never been a big fan of David Yates' work on the HP series.

Things I missed:

Seeing these last two movies WERE called Deathly Hallows:
-Beyond Xenofilius in part 1 and Ollivander at the beginning of part 2, there is no mention of the Deathly Hallows or in fact that Harry already posseses one in the form of the invisibility cloak.
-The cloak itself, after being absent in 3 movies, suddenly reappears for one scene as they get into Gringotts and disappears again after that.
-Like BarryTrotter said, there was no struggle between Harry and Ron/Hermione about going after Hallows/Horcruxes (seeing they got caught and taken to the Malfoys directly after escaping the DE's at Xenofilius')
-There was no wrapping up the DH-story in the Kings Cross scene with DD telling Harry that he was the master of death, because he had accepted death willingly.

Furthermore, I missed:
-Any explanation on how Harry survived being killed by LV in the forrest.
-Celebration after LV's death
-Some scenes of how LV's death affected the rest of the wizarding world outside Hogwarts with imperiused coming back, innocent prisoners being released, Kingsley being made temporary MoM, etc. They spend 7 movies setting up how much LV held the entire wizarding community in its grip, so they should have put that in.
-Harry repairing his own wand with the Elder wand.

One thing I also don't like in Yates' movies is the static crowd scenes. In many scenes, the people in the background are too static and quiet to make it seem realistic, like during Neville's speech, which they should have left out or at least interupted by LV or by some taunting or laughing from the DE's. That's just one example of a crowd that is too static. The crowd in the great hall after LV's death were also too still. Or when Neville seems to have fallen down when the bridge collapsed, the rest just remained where they were, in stead of running forward to see if their friend had made it (even as he is climbing up they do not come to his aid). With all these little things they just missed the mark. Not by much, but enough for the difference between feeling real or choreographed.

Another thing that felt too choreagraphed was the final shot before the epilogue, with the trio standing there a bit akwardly, holding hands and looking into the distance as the camera zoomed out. I think it would have been a more powerfull image if we would have seen the trio turn around and walk back to Hogwarts as the camera zoomed out. Especially as there already is a kind of similar shot of the trio together, looking into the distance, at the end of the epilogue that was less akward and unnatural anyway.

OK... well after all that negative, let me talk about the positive stuff:
-I loved the sets: Gringotts, Hogwarts, etc. were brilliant as always.
-I loved the first shot with Snape looking out over the students in the courtyard below
-The Gringotts scene was awesome. HBC did an awesome job as Hermione.
-Even though I am a known stickler for following the books, I did like the confrontation between Harry and Snape in the great hall and Harry's actionhero lines.
-The statues coming to life and marching to the boundries looked amazing (also gotta love Maggy Smith: I always wanted to try that spell... LOL)
-The Prince's Tale. They rushed through Snape and Lily's childhood and time at Hogwarts a bit fast, but the last part was brilliant.
-The performances of Alan Rickman, HBC, Ralph Fiennes, Maggy Smith, John Hurt and Ciarán Hinds

Lastly I want to give a big compliment to the CGI-, special effects-, props- and prostetics-departments. They really did an awesome job on all 8 movies.

All in all, objectively I give this movie 7/10 and as a HP-fan 8/10, so that adds up to 7,5/10
To those who jump, no explanation is necessary. To those who don't, no explanation is possible.
"Of all the things I have lost in my life, my mind is the thing that I miss the most." - Ozzy Osbourne
<<

Reece

First Year
First Year

Post July 20th, 2011, 9:34 pm

I thought it was great! however, it was nothing like the book which was a real shame and it ended abit too fast.

However, the sound cut out 5 times -.- so i've complained to the cinema :D

but other than that i would recommend anyone seeing it, you can also watch it online now i was shocked how fast it got put on the web haha
<<

eatsleeppotter

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post July 21st, 2011, 4:18 am

i though movie was good

I love Snapes The Princes Tale oh i cried so hard watching this I cried all though the movie :(
<<

lamathe04

Shop Owner
Shop Owner

Post July 21st, 2011, 3:05 pm

My favourite part of the entire series is the breaking into Gringotts bit and I thought the film did it no justice at all:

The confusion of the goblins over Bellatrix being allowed out and also still having her own wand wasn't explained at all.
    Inside the vault there was no burning treasure so it only seemed a mild inconvenience that there were some other cups in the way.
    If you stay still you are STILL touching the gold so why that stops it multiplying I have no idea.
    When they escaped from the vault there should have been an army of goblins storming at them instead of about 5.
    It was completely out of character for Hermione to suggest climbing on the dragon and I don't see why they felt the need to change that.

I thought the whole film had the drama of the book sucked out of it - all the emotion of the battle was missing but also the chaos and danger of it. There was a scene where Harry stood in the middle of the fighting and instead of making that exciting and frenzied, they played dull music and put it in slow motion.

The bit in the forest when Harry uses the resurrection stone is the bit that always makes me cry in the book and I thought that was well done in the film actually along with Harry's 'death' though I would have prefered less of the scene in Kings Cross and much more of the big important battle or the scene in the room of requirement.

Overall I think Yates managed to turn the best and most exciting part of the best and most exciting book into a bland and fragmented film. I know it's boring to complain about diversions from the book but if the way Rowling had it was better (as it almost always is) I don't see why they need to change it.
I should warn you, I look damn good in a tutu.
<<

YxDrifterxY

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 21st, 2011, 5:38 pm

Hi I'm new here and I felt the need to register with this forum just so I could review this movie. Please note that I have read all the books through several times and seen the movies several times as well.

I think whoever hasn't seen it will be dissapointed. I know all the harry potter fans that are my friends that it was an absolute wreck and I agree with them. If you are an actual fan who has read the book, you will be dissapointed in this ending. If you are a fan who is just glorifying the movie because it's still harry potter, good for you. But the abbsolute wreck of a job the director did - voldemort bursting into confetti, the ridiculously rushed plotline, and the hand-snapping of the most powerful wand in the world, etc will soon be forgotten. But the book will live on forever!
<<

lamathe04

Shop Owner
Shop Owner

Post July 21st, 2011, 5:46 pm

YxDrifterxY wrote:Hi I'm new here and I felt the need to register with this forum just so I could review this movie. Please note that I have read all the books through several times and seen the movies several times as well.

I think whoever hasn't seen it will be dissapointed. I know all the harry potter fans that are my friends that it was an absolute wreck and I agree with them. If you are an actual fan who has read the book, you will be dissapointed in this ending. If you are a fan who is just glorifying the movie because it's still harry potter, good for you. But the abbsolute wreck of a job the director did - voldemort bursting into confetti, the ridiculously rushed plotline, and the hand-snapping of the most powerful wand in the world, etc will soon be forgotten. But the book will live on forever!

Great first post - well said :D
I should warn you, I look damn good in a tutu.
<<

hayden_potter

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post July 21st, 2011, 7:43 pm

YxDrifterxY wrote:Hi I'm new here and I felt the need to register with this forum just so I could review this movie. Please note that I have read all the books through several times and seen the movies several times as well.

85% of the forum, who are Harry Potter fans who have read the book, disagree with you.
<<

SiriuslySeverus

Death Eater
Death Eater

Post July 21st, 2011, 7:46 pm

^I agree that 85% disagree. :)
Slytherin Mud-Blood
<<

The Rite of Spring

The Girl Who Lived
The Girl Who Lived

Post July 21st, 2011, 10:48 pm

I have read all the books several times and seen the movies several times and I have to disagree with you. The movies are based on the books, not exact copies of them and I felt they did a good job portraying them.
Signature by Kate
Formerly Katura Sesondor and Once Upon a Dance
My YouTube Channel
My Tumblr
PreviousNext

Return to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows