FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Post Your Deathly Hallows Part 1 Movie Review!

Which option CLOSEST fits how you thought of the movie?

Movie was great! 4 stars
58%
Movie was good. 3 stars
30%
Movie was meh 2 stars
8%
Movie was bad... 1 star
5%

Total votes : 66
<<

GinnyX

Mrs. George Weasley
Mrs. George Weasley

Post March 16th, 2011, 2:16 am

Post Your Deathly Hallows Part 1 Movie Review!

The first thread that we created has been lost, but please feel free to repost your overall thoughts on the movie.
<<

H4mmer34

St. Mungo's Doctor
St. Mungo's Doctor

Post March 16th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Great movie. Very different from the others which was a great improvement. Cant wait to see if part 2 can top it.
<<

Nagini's Spirit

Certified Creeper
Certified Creeper

Post May 9th, 2011, 4:50 pm

A very good movie. Can't wait for part 2, but they have to keep Molly's line.
<<

Victorious Death Eater

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post May 9th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Nagini's Spirit wrote:A very good movie. Can't wait for part 2, but they have to keep Molly's line.

You'll be pleased to know then that the line is in the movie. If you listen to pottercast they comfirm it in episode 237, I think.
"Tell them how it happened that night. How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
-Harry to Snape, Deathly Hallows Part 2
<<

Great Wizard

Third Year
Third Year

Post May 20th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Do you really think is it better than previous films? I think the fact plot doesn't unfold in Hogwarts means a grat difference... and not a very good one. People who are also HP fans since the first time (back to 1997-1998) have told me the book and the movie are quite depressing. What's your opinion?
Nevertheless I can't wait por part 2.
<<

markbyrne24

Muggle
Muggle

Post June 10th, 2011, 8:48 am

movie was good as it was a continuation but was a bit slow comparing to other parts.
<<

SiriuslySeverus

Death Eater
Death Eater

Post June 10th, 2011, 3:19 pm

I really enjoyed it :D
Formerly known as "LuvSnape"
Slytherin Mud-Blood
Pottermore: HawthornMarauder173
<<

MagicalMuggle92

First Year
First Year

Post June 10th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Yes, except for the first two, it stuck really close to the book. I really enjoyed it, and I love that little Hermione and Harry dance scene they put in. The acting was spot on, especially during the camping scenes, you could really tell that this Horcrux is weighing on them and making them miserable and worried. It was great! :D
"Look....at........me.....you have your mother's eyes.."
<<

evanjonesaber

Muggle
Muggle

Post June 15th, 2011, 9:40 am

I really enjoyed the movie. Yes, it was a little 'slow' but that is what happens in the first part of the DH book! It is rather slow and rambling, and I enjoyed it immensely. I felt the weight of the horcrux (mentally) was portrayed very well.
I felt the scenes at Malfoy Manor were a little rushed, but entertaining, and somewhat scary too!

Can't wait for part 2.
One of Life's greatest tragedies is that we get old too soon, and wise too late.
<<

bdreid68

Muggle
Muggle

Post June 17th, 2011, 3:26 am

okay.

The first half of Harry Potter an the Deathly Hallows was amazing. I believe that the massive amount and increase of charater building in this movie was significantly greater than previous films and was therefore easier to connect with the character in general, as opposed to other movies where you feel abit cut-off from the movie because it's set at hogwarts and they're dealing with the stresses of school.

The acting was amazing, much better than at least number six, where i believed most of the cast to be high or drunk during filming, again because there was so much depth to the characters than other movies.

The story was brilliantly adapted from the book, though that wasn't too much of a stretch since they chopped the book into two parts, so we'd probably give hollywood hell if they didn't do the story right.

The effects seemed a bit lazy for them, and if any of you haven't noticed Voldemort's "Avada Kedavra" is blue in the beginning and during the flight of the Seven Potters, it's green at the hands of a death eater.

All-in-all, them movie was amazing, definetly one of the better ones to come out in a long time. Yes it was slow, but i'm the kind of person that thrives on that.

When you get a chance, rent or buy the blu-ray and watch the Maximum movie experience option, stuff like this and commentaries give you a much better appreciation for the movies themselves.

Thanks for reading
"It does not do to dwell on Dreams, and forget to Live"-Albus Dumbledore-The Philosopher's Stone
<<

StillWaving

Muggle
Muggle

Post June 29th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Part 1

As far as Harry Potter movies go this one wasn't the best one yet (I still believe, quite strongly, that the 1st movie holds that honor) however compared to the recent films (particularly the painful experience that was The Order of the Phoenix) this one actually did a pretty good job.

As far as important plot points went splitting this movie up was a wonderful idea, and should've happened like 4 movies ago! Important stuff was, finally, left in and fun stuff just for the fans were also there....

While many things in the film did serve to tick me off..... mainly important facts that were left out [spoiler](such as Hermione taking the portrait from Grimmauld Place, because let's face it... that's kind of important... and they're probably going to give her like 40 seconds in Part 2 to explain to Harry that she took it offscreen while no cameras were there... or Voldemort not showing up at Godric's Hollow... that was kind of the ONLY reason that Nagini was there... right?)... [/spoiler] .... there were other additions and parts that made me swell with pride as a fan (I thought the dancing scene was a very sweet addition that perfectly described the relationship of Harry and Hermione (while serving as a bit of fanservice to people who ship them, like me) and the horcrux speaking to Ron was EXACTLY how I imagined it in the book (minus the naked people)... so WELL DONE!!

All in all I thought that the film was well executed and included many things that I considered good or important... they messed some things up (but quite frankly so did pretty much every other movie!) but they did other things quite well and I'm VERY excited for the final installment in July (Midnight!! YAY!!)... hopefully they continue to do justice to my favorite parts [spoiler](like Snape's memories... if they mess that up like the did in OoTP... oh my gosh, I might have to hurt somebody)[/spoiler] and include all the good important stuff...

[spoiler]Also excited for the Epilogue... seen the kids they've been casting and oh my gosh some of them are just perfect <3 [/spoiler]
"On Earth, this desire is often called 'love.' In Hell, I feign that they recognize it as hunger."
<<

Amanda

The Potters
The Potters

Post June 29th, 2011, 7:10 pm

The movie is good! I cant wait to see DH2.
<<

Voldemort's Servant

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 3rd, 2011, 2:26 am

It's my last favorite Potter film to date. It was still a very good film. I knew there was going to be about no Hogwarts. Without Hogwarts it still could have been amazing. However, it was too slow at times and I missed the professors.
<<

Heat

G.O.A.T.
G.O.A.T.

Post July 3rd, 2011, 5:04 am

I thought this was the best HP film so far, and for several reasons. First of all, the actors probably did their best in this film. It was the first time that they had to actually act all serious (Ron and Harry fight). However, I thought that it was too long at times. Like when they are traveling and the radio is on, that seemed like such a LOOOONNNNGGG part. Anyway, good, overall movie. 8/10.
"How do you sleep at night?" "On a bed made of money." - Don Draper
<<

Auror89

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 5th, 2011, 12:30 am

My review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1):

Before getting around to watching this film, I'd heard a lot of mixed things from various friends and online critics. They were saying that the film dragged in places, was filled with pointless parts that amount to nothing, and that if someone hadn't read the books, they'd be completely confused as to what was happening. Most the hardcore Harry Potter fans said it was a great representation of the book. . . so while first sliding the Blu-Ray disc into my Playstation 3, there was a sense of apprehension. Deathly Hallows as a book, while good, has its problems. What if the film turned out to compound those problems instead of solve them? Many film adaptations have a tendancy toward that.

Another thing that bothered me before I'd even watched it, was why did they have to split this into two films? They produced a great film adaptation of The Order of the Phoenix, and that book is packed with way more content than Deathly Hallows. The popular answer was that WB could milk the cash cow. But come on. . . all the Harry Potter films could have benefited from being split into two parts. At least DH will be covering more area than the others were allowed.

Now that I have watched the film, I cannot say that I was "pleasantly surprised". . . associating the word "pleasant" with Deathly Hallows seems wrong, given how unforgivingly dark this story is. But I will say that everything taken into account, it's a damn decent experience.

We follow our trio on a quest that's destination seems impossible to reach, both to them and we the viewers. Harry, Ron, and Hermione need to find the Horcruxes in order to stop Voldemort from ever reincarnating, but at the same time they have to evade the countless Death Eaters and Voldemort sympathizers that have infiltrated both the basic wizarding world and the Ministry of Magic itself. They all have strong doubts that their mission can ever be successful. You'll feel that doubt along with them, because this film is filled with introspective moments and rising tensions: Harry is determined, but at the same time jaded and lost. You can hear it in Daniel Radcliffe's voice, see it in his eyes. Hermione is devoted to helping the cause, always providing clear evidence of her own competence and the incompetence of the two young men. She has to be at the top of her game in this new wizarding world of intolerance, being a muggle-born. Ron's storyline is reminiscent of Goblet of Fire in that he wrestles with feelings of inadequacy when placed next to Harry, and in DH he goes over the edge (though partly due to the evil influence of the locket horcrux, a nice nod to the One Ring from The Lord of the Rings).

My favorite parts, and what I believe are also objectively the best parts, all pertain to camping. The trio are isolated in their trips across the wilds of Britain; it's being out in the middle of nowhere that we learn most about them as characters. It's where we realize how much they've matured over the course of the series. In the past Harry has depended on the Dursleys, Dumbledore, the Weasleys, but now he's on his own, calling the shots and cutting out a shaky existence for himself and his friends. Harry Potter is a man now.

This film is darker than I imagined the story being while reading the book. While many of the events that transpire in both book and film are essentially the same, the film's execution makes the story all the more hopeless, cynical, and gritty. One scene that stands out is when Harry and Ron come up the stairs from the Malfoy's basement to find Hermione lying on the cold, hard floor with "Mudblood" carved into her flesh, presumably from Bellatrix's dagger. For me, this was more moving than any death that happened in the films thus far; maybe it's because Avada Kedavra is a painless release from life, whereas torture and degradation of Hermione leaves the viewer with the impression that Hermione will have to relive those moments in her mind for the remainder of her life.

While darkness isn't a positive attribute in and of itself, it's a framework wherein a lot of meaningful things can happen. Usually through loss or death. And a lot of that happens in the Harry Potter series.

If I had to think of something to complain about, it'd be that the film moves too fast in places. It's already two and a half hours. I believe it would've been a good idea to stretch that out a little further to give these scenes more time to play out, so that the finished product didn't feel like such a flash.

4/4 stars.
<<

Nerdo

First Year
First Year

Post July 9th, 2011, 8:26 am

I would give deathly hallows part 1 a 4 star but give part 2 a 5 star.
<<

aadi101

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 27th, 2011, 12:03 am

deathly halow part 1

it was good
but not much happened[spoiler][/spoiler]
Ciao!
<<

supreme395

Third Year
Third Year

Post July 27th, 2011, 7:56 am

Re: deathly halow part 1

aadi101 wrote:it was good
but not much happened[spoiler][/spoiler]

Btw there's nothing in the spoiler.. anyways...

DH1 has much more information from the book. Except that at some parts, it got too boring or too exciting. Not a lot was done in the movie.
<<

Hermione999

Violinist
Violinist

Post July 4th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 was really, really good. They included almost everything from the book, and there was a lot of suspicion drawn upon from the audience, if you know what I mean. Overall, I'd rate it 5/5 or 10/10. It's was phenomenal, and fantastic for many Potterheads. The thing's that the Potter fans who haven't read the books, and saw this movie, were totally confused. I'm saying this from experience, in which some people at school would talk to me privately just to ask what was going on. Anyway, Part 1 was great because it also showed desperation in hunting for the Horcruxes, and the search for Voldemort's objects in which to destroy, in order to destroy him, felt real and almost impossible to do. It's funny how Part 1 was moving by slow, and then the whole action suddenly errupted in Part 2 afterwards. Overall, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 was brilliant and extraordinary. Now that I come to think about it, it seems that this movie was pretty much close to the first part of the book, and that it could be referred to one of the top Potter movies. As in conclusion, once again, this movie was taken time in doing (I think more than the others), and made Potterheads very happy in showing a lot of the events that took place in the book, filming it in the movie itself.
Image ♫ ♥ ♫
Image ♪ ♥ ♪
<<

Malevolent

First Year
First Year

Post October 29th, 2012, 10:10 pm

This is my favorite Harry Potter movie.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” - Albus Dumbledore
<<

GinnyPotter01

Muggle
Muggle

Post December 4th, 2012, 1:37 am

I loved the movie, though I loved the book too. I loved the serious tone to it and how Harry, Ron and Hermione no longer had the Hogwarts protection in this and had to survive on their own. Hermione looked absolutely stunning at Fleur's wedding and I loved the way they escaped from the wedding. I also loved the Harry-Ron friendship scene where Ron convinced Harry to stay and wait for Hermione and then they could leave together. The Ron-Harry fight was done very well and the Harry-Hermione dance was sweet with how Harry tried to cheer her up. It was such a sibling-like thing and I can imagine Ron doing something similar for Ginny, very cute. Dobby's death made me tear up badly and I almost broke down. Ron and Hermione looked so devastated at how upset Harry was about it. Both wanted to comfort him, but neither knew what to say (gah if only Gin was there). Very good movie.
<<

Rosey678

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Post December 4th, 2012, 4:08 am

I liked part 2 better, but part one was still very very good :D.
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

EmeraldFire

Second Year
Second Year

Post August 27th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Re: Post Your Deathly Hallows Part 1 Movie Review!

Honestly, I didn't like the book in the first place all that much because it was just too slow for me. The movie made it slightly more interesting but that's only because some of the details had been changed. It really irked me how they belittled Hermione's intelligence in both parts. It is true what they say: she suffered a very Hollywood fate. And that is sad.
"There is in every child at every stage a new miracle of vigorous unfolding." Erik Erikson (1902-1994)
<<

DarkSage

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 4th, 2014, 12:11 pm

I liked it overall but I got a bit bored with it. I suppose I expected more. Then again I think my expectations can be quite unreasonable. I wanted the movie to go slower and go in more detail.
<<

raclle

Auror
Auror

Post May 21st, 2014, 9:09 pm

I gave it a 2. Lots of good scenes but dragged in others and not enough explanation in the story.Why didn't they show more of Grimauld place and their plans for breaking into the ministry.Hermione never takes the picture of Phineas Nigellus which is quite important.Where is Lupin?There is no explanation into how the death eaters found them when they fled the wedding.They could have cut down on the camping and i hated the radio playing all the time.The dance scene is cringey.Did they explain why Harry keeps looking at that mirror.How did the patronus know where they are?Where is Voldemort at Godric's hollow?Where is Pettigrew's death.They don't show Lupin turning up at shell cottage.Dumbledore's tomb is not at the school.
Next

Return to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows