FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

"After all this time...?" / "Always"

<<

pandemicsoul

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 1st, 2013, 8:33 pm

"After all this time...?" / "Always"

Would someone help me out here? This has always confused me: In the Deathly Hallows movie, we see this as part of Snape's memories:

My understanding is that Snape is casting the petronus that leads Harry to the Sword of Gryffindor, right?

But this is occurring after Dumbledore is dead. So how is it that Dumbledore is standing there? (From reading some of the synopsis on the Harry Potter Wiki, I thought that perhaps Snape was talking to Dumbledore's portrait when this happens, but clearly -- in this image, and in the movie -- we see that Dumbledore is actually standing there.)

Am I missing something obvious?
<<

Arabella

Arabella
Arabella

Post August 2nd, 2013, 4:52 am

Re: "After all this time...?" / "Always"

They are two separate castings of the patronus charm. This section of the movie is told in a sort of stream-of-conciousness, so it showed the doe sent for Harry at around the same time he casts it for Dumbledore (so we could make the connection), but they actually happened far apart.
Hufflepuff Prefect
<<

pandemicsoul

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 2nd, 2013, 5:45 am

Arabella wrote:They are two separate castings of the patronus charm. This section of the movie is told in a sort of stream-of-conciousness, so it showed the doe sent for Harry at around the same time he casts it for Dumbledore (so we could make the connection), but they actually happened far apart.

That's quite confusing! I just re-watched it on YouTube on and Harry's frozen pond scene shows up in the memories directly after Snape casts the petronus with Dumbledore, giving the impression that the one that leave's Dumbledore's office is the one that goes to Harry at the frozen pond.

But if I understand what your'e saying, what's actually happening is that the doe Snape produces with Dumbledore is simply to counter Dumbledore's statement that he (Snape) cared for Harry, and instead, make the point that he did all this because he cared for Lilly. And that petronus didn't actually go anywhere -- it was just a show for Dumbledore.

I hope that's right. Thanks for the answer :)
<<

Nikaday

Third Year
Third Year

Post October 30th, 2013, 6:06 pm

But if I understand what your'e saying, what's actually happening is that the doe Snape produces with Dumbledore is simply to counter Dumbledore's statement that he (Snape) cared for Harry, and instead, make the point that he did all this because he cared for Lilly. And that petronus didn't actually go anywhere -- it was just a show for Dumbledore.

Yes, I believe you are right. That was the point. For Snape to show Dumbledore that his patronus was the same as Lily's and Harry by the pond was of course what happens a long time afterwards. So yes that's right. :)

Oh and also to show the audience (especially the one's who never read the books) the sort of "ah-ha!" moment, that Snape was the one who sent the patronus to Harry after all. Much later on of course, and the next scene with Harry was simply to remind us that it really was him who did that.
"Their flesh shall nourish yours, their blood shall flow within you, as the beetle nourishes the lark so shall human nourish vampire."
<<

AurorMarkonn

First Year
First Year

Post October 14th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Nikaday wrote:

Yes, I believe you are right. That was the point. For Snape to show Dumbledore that his patronus was the same as Lily's and Harry by the pond was of course what happens a long time afterwards. So yes that's right. :)

Oh and also to show the audience (especially the one's who never read the books) the sort of "ah-ha!" moment, that Snape was the one who sent the patronus to Harry after all. Much later on of course, and the next scene with Harry was simply to remind us that it really was him who did that.

I always saw it this was also, he basically is saying that he didnt care for the boy, but that he did this all because of his love for Lily.
<<

Assassin

ANBU
ANBU

Post January 8th, 2015, 5:20 pm

This is a great scene. When Dumbledore asks if Snape has started caring for the boy, he casts the patronus (which is an effing doe) to show that he loved, and still loves Lily and will protect and sacricifice "anything" for her son because of his love for her, and his remorse over the Potters' death (snd him making bad choices, which were extremely understandable seeing his life till that point).

:(
<<

SlytherChic

Muggle
Muggle

Post November 10th, 2017, 8:41 pm

I never could see the big deal with this scene. It just doesn't affect me like it does most people. Maybe it's because I don't like Lily, I don't know.
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post November 12th, 2017, 9:25 pm

I never felt sadness or understanding for Snape in that scene too. It didn't affect me. But it was an incredible piece of knowledge for the whole book/movie saga.

Return to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows