FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Ron speaks parsletounge

<<

roseweasley

Squib
Squib

Post September 9th, 2007, 8:24 am

Ron speaks parsletounge

when i read that ron spoke parsletounge to open the chamber of secrets. i thought it was pretty cool. but now when i think about it. how is it possible for ron to all of a sudden be able to speak parsletounge?

jk rowling says that after the soul is removed from harry, he can no longer speak parsletounge, so what about ron?
.love.peace.and.something.else.
<<

zengrenouille

Head Unspeakable
Head Unspeakable

Post September 9th, 2007, 8:36 am

All that he did was mimic one word that he heard Harry say before. He probably practiced it in secret in his room for years. I think that he was a little jealous that Harry was able to speak parseltongue.
Banner by Yasmine
Faster, safer, more reliable, and with the same cool people: HPForums.org
<<

roseweasley

Squib
Squib

Post September 9th, 2007, 8:42 am

yeah, in the book hermione says it took him a few goes to get it right.
but doesn't that mean that anyone can speak parsletounge, and in the 2nd book, harry finds out that speaking parlsetounge is an extremly rare gift.
.love.peace.and.something.else.
<<

teacakes

Mrs. Sirius Black
Mrs. Sirius Black

Post September 9th, 2007, 9:16 am

It can be learnt (JKR said DD learnt it). It would probably be incredibly hard though and it's not really something anyone would need to learn. But, like any other language, it can be copied and still not understood, which is what Ron did.
<<

Icefire

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post September 9th, 2007, 11:13 am

yeah, like someone said, in the book, it took Ron a few tries to remember how to do it. Me, I'm surprised that the Chamber could be opened by someone mimicking parseltongue.
Draco Malfoy and *sniff...sob* Fred Weasly ♥
banner made by Kino
<<

NimbusKeeper

Quidditch Player
Quidditch Player

Post September 9th, 2007, 3:28 pm

I just thought it was because Ron was really good a mimiking sounds he heard from others.

[spoiler]But, I have read some theories that they only got in because they were holding the trophey which was a horcrux and some think he could get in because the horcrux was a part of Voldemort. I don't know though. [/spoiler]
Wand:12.5'' English Oak, Dragon, Unbending
Animagi: Dog
<<

TheBoyWhoLived

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 9th, 2007, 6:00 pm

Spoiler: show
I think Ron got in because
he just mimicked parseltongue. Plus,
he had a horcrux with him and the chamber
may have "thought" it was voldemort.
<<

teacakes

Mrs. Sirius Black
Mrs. Sirius Black

Post September 10th, 2007, 1:03 am

The Chamber doesn't need it to be Voldemort it just needs to hear parseltongue, hence why Harry got in in the first place.
<<

Nikaday

Third Year
Third Year

Post April 10th, 2015, 3:29 pm

Re: Ron speaks parsletounge

He probably practiced it in secret in his room for years. I think that he was a little jealous that Harry was able to speak parseltongue.

Um, no I highly doubt that zen. lol Ron was never jealous that Harry could speak Parseltongue, and the older he got some of the jealousies he had before faded. Harry is his best friend and ultimately would never feel that way towards him. And like the other posters on here said, it actually took him a few tries to get it right. So he never practiced it for years in secret, that's a bit silly and something he just wouldn't do. Especially since he knows that Parseltongue is connected to Voldemort and of course he and everyone else hates him. He's just really good at imitating people and things.
"Their flesh shall nourish yours, their blood shall flow within you, as the beetle nourishes the lark so shall human nourish vampire."
<<

Bricklet

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 29th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Re:

teacakes wrote:The Chamber doesn't need it to be Voldemort it just needs to hear parseltongue, hence why Harry got in in the first place.

I don't believe that you would need to be a Horcrux of Slytherin's descendant or BE Slytherin's descendent to get in. However, Harry IS Voldemort's Horcrux. But if Ron could only get in because he had the cup, then why did it take a few tries?
<<

Hermione Granger

Muggle
Muggle

Post December 14th, 2016, 7:42 pm

That moment did, admittedly, draw me out of the story for a short moment. It felt more like a deus ex machina-ish solution to the problem. Still, I understand that Jo probably didn't want to focus on that detail too much, considering the circumstances of what was already going on in the story. Wished she could've solved the problem in a more "clever" way, but it could've still been worse than Ron mimicking Harry's parseltongue.
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post December 15th, 2016, 10:00 am

Hermione Granger wrote:That moment did, admittedly, draw me out of the story for a short moment. It felt more like a deus ex machina-ish solution to the problem. Still, I understand that Jo probably didn't want to focus on that detail too much, considering the circumstances of what was already going on in the story. Wished she could've solved the problem in a more "clever" way, but it could've still been worse than Ron mimicking Harry's parseltongue.

I agree with this. The ability to speak Parseltongue is supposed to be incredibly rare; and it's implied that it's exhaustively difficult to learn.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post December 18th, 2016, 6:15 am

Jo was desperate to end the story and just said "screw it". I think she did that a few times actually.
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post December 19th, 2016, 2:39 am

If you buy it or not, JKR stated that Ron only mimicked the sound he remembered hearing Harry speak. It wasn't a long phrase, one word. And it is incredibly difficult to learn parseltongue, but not unheard of. Most are born with it, but some, like Dumbledore, learn it. If Dumbledore could learn to speak it, I don't think it is unreasonable to think Ron could repeat one word he heard.
>>>Image<<<
>>>>>>>>... the artist formerly known as APWBD1881.<<<<<<<<
<<

Pickett

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 21st, 2017, 3:21 am

Ron had probably etched it into his mind after Harry opened up the locket, just in case for some reason he needed to open another Horcrux.
<<

torrent56

First Year
First Year

Post March 18th, 2017, 12:28 am

Nobody could be jealous of a skill that connects Harry to Voldemort. If Ron was so jealous then why was he so happy for Harry in HBP when he got an O on DADA and was made Quidditch Captain then?

Why is it that lots of people on this thread erroneously think just because Ron was able to open the Chamber of Secrets it meant he LEARNT how to speak Parseltongue? He didn't learn and all he did was to imitate ONE word which is completely different from actually learning a new language and speaking it in everyday life. It is also said he had try to multiple times before he got it right so this is a lot more believable and I have no problems accepting it. As far as I remember it does not contradict any previous rules in the magical world so there is nothing unbelievable about it. This is coming from someone who would liked to have seen that scene btw.
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 6th, 2017, 11:59 pm

Nikaday wrote:
He probably practiced it in secret in his room for years. I think that he was a little jealous that Harry was able to speak parseltongue.

Um, no I highly doubt that zen. lol Ron was never jealous that Harry could speak Parseltongue, and the older he got some of the jealousies he had before faded. Harry is his best friend and ultimately would never feel that way towards him. And like the other posters on here said, it actually took him a few tries to get it right. So he never practiced it for years in secret, that's a bit silly and something he just wouldn't do. Especially since he knows that Parseltongue is connected to Voldemort and of course he and everyone else hates him. He's just really good at imitating people and things.

Ron was jealous of Harry to the point that the Horcrux drove him to abandon Harry and Hermione. Ron is one of the most jealous characters in the series, when you think about it. I find the idea of him practicing it in secret something he totally would do.
(he/she/they)
<<

MarsUltor

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post July 5th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Certainly he mimicked what Harry said in Chamber of Secrets.

Although Parseltongue is a special language, I reckon it's still a language that can be understood and be talked when you learn.
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post August 20th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Just because you can't speak a certain language doesn't mean you can't say one word from it.
Ron only mimicked "Open". He won't be able to start to talk to snakes or understand what they are saying.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.

Return to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows