FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What do you wish they hadn't changed the most!

<<

gw

Third Year
Third Year

Post July 26th, 2009, 4:09 am

i think it was more annoying to see how much little stuff was left out rather than some of the bigger stuff. i mean they worked so hard to put certain funny lines in other books like hermiones teaspoon comment in OotP lol... but instead they cut out everything and rewrote there own HBP like they didnt care... o well wat can we expect from screen writers who are to lazy to read the books and go on sparknotes instead :(

also why did they cut out all the princes spells... i was looking forward to levicorpes and the toenail one and yet who woulda thought they got cut
Image harry and ginny forever!!! <3

wand: 9" willow dragon heartstring
patronus: wolf
animagus: wolf again
<<

EdenCook

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 26th, 2009, 9:31 am

People may kill me for this, but the "Other Minister" chapter was my favourite.

I liked how they showcased the event, but I wish there was a scene with dementors gliding through the streets and attacking muggles.
"It's beautiful, isn't it? The moon."
<<

HPsauce

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 27th, 2009, 4:28 am

I honestly would've been okay with it had the ending been at least truthful (and a little more insight with the horcruxes etc).
my site: Lenny Limbo
<<

Panda

Auror
Auror

Post July 27th, 2009, 7:08 am

This movie could have been sooo much better. They should not have put in the ridiculous scene of The Burrow being burned. What WAS that?!? It was a total fabrication and what does that add to the story line? Nothing. Also, why did they change it to Luna finding Harry on the train instead of Tonks? That made no sense. I can't believe they took time to add these stupid scenes and little changes and not put in the battle scene! Or the funeral! Not having the funeral, in my opinion, is disrespectful to Dumbledore's memory. It's also where Harry first talks to Rufus Scrimgeour and establishes that he is Dumbledore's man through and through. Ugh even thinking about this makes me angry. :x
<<

kivock

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 27th, 2009, 4:49 pm

gw wrote:also why did they cut out all the princes spells... i was looking forward to levicorpes and the toenail one and yet who woulda thought they got cut

They totally foobar'd this whole issue up in the movies. If you recall, they were practicing levicorpus in the OOTP movie in their D.A. lessons. Harry didn't even learn that until the next book when he got ahold of the princes potions book.

WTF is this director thinking? Maybe his brains are in his ass...
<<

littlethree

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 27th, 2009, 6:26 pm

LESS Love storyline.
MORE Horcrux storyline.

I didn't like how they put the love stories to the forefront. The Horcrux story seemed like an afterthought, almost.

They treated the Orphanage and Slughorn Memory scenes good enough and the Cave scene good (though when Dumbledore was trying to figure out how to get into the liquid and there already was a cup and he said he had to drink it, I was like, no duh, there is a cup already there.)

Yet as others have said, the movie didn't really give any idea what the other Horcruxes would be and that makes it difficult for Harry and Hermy and Won Won to find them in DH. Of course, they could do something like have Harry say, "Before he died, Dumbledore and I talked about what the other Horcruxes would be...." And then list them.

I pretty much hated the Burrow scene, for the fact that it went against the fact that the Burrow is supposed to be protected.

It progressed the plot in no way, except perhaps maybe, perhaps, possibly, as an afterthought when Tonks calls Lupin "Sweetheart". But it was so random and small that if you hadn't read the books you wouldn't know why she did that.

Of course that brings a troubling thought about the DH movie. What if they replace the Fleur/Bill wedding with a Tonks/Lupin wedding? However...

[spoiler]given that pictures of Shell Cottage pictures have been seen and Fleur is in said to be in the DH, I suppose it is unlikely[/spoiler]

I personally didn't mind that they didn't have the Hogwarts Battle so much at the end. It wouldn't have progressed the overall story.

I did not like how "unemotional" Snape was though. I usually like Alan Rickman's handling of Snape. But in the book he was more vexed and irate when he was deflecting Harry's attack on him. In the movie, he seemed more casual.

But in summary:
LESS LOVE STORY
MORE HORCRUX
<<

gw

Third Year
Third Year

Post July 27th, 2009, 6:49 pm

kivock wrote:
gw wrote:also why did they cut out all the princes spells... i was looking forward to levicorpes and the toenail one and yet who woulda thought they got cut

They totally foobar'd this whole issue up in the movies. If you recall, they were practicing levicorpus in the OOTP movie in their D.A. lessons. Harry didn't even learn that until the next book when he got ahold of the princes potions book.

ive heard many people say this but that wasnt the levicorpus spell teh one in OotP was a hover spell that requierd many ppl and constent concentration to perform... levicorpus is a one time thing, bam the guy is in teh air and u walk away. it liked while they were performing the one in OotP that jets of air were shooting from their wands and thats wat was holding collin up

<<

littlethree

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 27th, 2009, 7:30 pm

even if they didn't say "levicorpus" during the DA "classroom scenes", someone did say it during the Ministry of Magic scene, when they were fighting the Death Eaters. I know I heard the word "Levicorpus". I think it was Luna.
<<

gottalovedraco

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 27th, 2009, 7:42 pm

gw wrote:
kivock wrote:

ive heard many people say this but that wasnt the levicorpus spell teh one in OotP was a hover spell that requierd many ppl and constent concentration to perform... levicorpus is a one time thing, bam the guy is in teh air and u walk away. it liked while they were performing the one in OotP that jets of air were shooting from their wands and thats wat was holding collin up

i dont know about levicorpus being in the d.a. lessons , but luna definately uses the spell against a death eater in the hall of prophecies....the directors are so stupid....there was a point to discovering the spell in the princes book..its his.....and james used snapes own spell against him like harry tried to
<<

Rynoa

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 27th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Actually I don't know where to start to list all the things I missed in this movie.
From the beginning:

- the new minister for magic
- What the hell was that scene with the waitress and Harry flirting with her? And 2 minutes later he's all "Aw look at Ginny isn't she cute?"
- Harry owning Grimmauld Place and Kreacher
- Slughorn was thinner than I expected but the actor was pretty good imho so it's ok
- Molly and the other girls hating Fleur
- various spells from the Prince book
- when Ginny tokk the book from Harry I hoped she was going to say the "don't take orders from a book like me" line, but instead she just reads the name and give it to him again
- Ginny. Where the heck is Ginny, laughing, lively, pretty, the heart of the party??? This Ginny just seemed the Ginny from book 2, not the girl she became.
- ALL the memories in the pensieve except the Slughorn one are missing. The first one when Dumbledore goes to the orhpanage is missing the part when he learns about the cave!
- A little more description of the disasters all around the UK
- Tonks finding Harry on the train
- Hagrid. He just appears when Aragog dies.
- The great battle in Hogwarts
- Harry and Dumbledore seeing the Dark Mark from Hogsmeade when they come back, not Bellatrix summoning it in the end
- Bill and Fleur and Fenrir
- THE MOVING PORTAITS AND NEWSPAPERS!!! THEY ARE ALL DEAD STILL!
- Quidditch cup and kissing scene, including the part when Ron approves.
- Harry, Dobby and Kreacher following Draco night and day, meeting Crabbe and Goyle like pretty little girls, Harry trying to open the room of requirements
- Ravenclaw's tiara...
a lot more :(
<<

flightfromdeath

Azkaban Prisoner
Azkaban Prisoner

Post July 27th, 2009, 9:37 pm

Rynoa wrote:Actually I don't know where to start to list all the things I missed in this movie.
From the beginning:

- the new minister for magic
- What the hell was that scene with the waitress and Harry flirting with her? And 2 minutes later he's all "Aw look at Ginny isn't she cute?"
- Harry owning Grimmauld Place and Kreacher
- Slughorn was thinner than I expected but the actor was pretty good imho so it's ok
- Molly and the other girls hating Fleur
- various spells from the Prince book
- when Ginny tokk the book from Harry I hoped she was going to say the "don't take orders from a book like me" line, but instead she just reads the name and give it to him again
- Ginny. Where the heck is Ginny, laughing, lively, pretty, the heart of the party??? This Ginny just seemed the Ginny from book 2, not the girl she became.
- ALL the memories in the pensieve except the Slughorn one are missing. The first one when Dumbledore goes to the orhpanage is missing the part when he learns about the cave!
- A little more description of the disasters all around the UK
- Tonks finding Harry on the train
- Hagrid. He just appears when Aragog dies.
- The great battle in Hogwarts
- Harry and Dumbledore seeing the Dark Mark from Hogsmeade when they come back, not Bellatrix summoning it in the end
- Bill and Fleur and Fenrir
- THE MOVING PORTAITS AND NEWSPAPERS!!! THEY ARE ALL DEAD STILL!
- Quidditch cup and kissing scene, including the part when Ron approves.
- Harry, Dobby and Kreacher following Draco night and day, meeting Crabbe and Goyle like pretty little girls, Harry trying to open the room of requirements
- Ravenclaw's tiara...
a lot more :(

Dont forget bill and fluer.
Image<--click it
<<

gw

Third Year
Third Year

Post July 28th, 2009, 1:19 am

gottalovedraco wrote:
gw wrote:
kivock wrote:

i dont know about levicorpus being in the d.a. lessons , but luna definately uses the spell against a death eater in the hall of prophecies....the directors are so stupid....there was a point to discovering the spell in the princes book..its his.....and james used snapes own spell against him like harry tried to

really??? i missed that are u sure it was definetly levicorpus cause that would be a terrible idea by the screen writers... another reason i hate them

<<

Rynoa

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 28th, 2009, 11:44 am

I forgot the funeral.
But all in all I just hate the fact that you don't know what's happening in the wizarding world nor what are the consequences in the muggle society. Or I should guess it all from the nonsense burning of the Burrow?
England is supposed to live a very very very depressing time, but the only thing we see are deatheaters flying (WTF?), not a single word about the ministers, not a single hint about the very dangerous time for all the muggleborns and for the Order, not a single word about Voldy getting power!!
<<

Voldemort_Love

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post July 28th, 2009, 1:28 pm

I forgot the funeral.
Don't give up hope yet. It could be an opening scene in the next movie =]

i just missed the fight scene whilst Snape was escaping :(

xo
"You complete me" < yes u do <3

<<

Rynoa

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 28th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Voldemort_Love wrote:
I forgot the funeral.
Don't give up hope yet. It could be an opening scene in the next movie =]

i just missed the fight scene whilst Snape was escaping :(

xo

you're really optimistic :P
Yeah the escaping Snape scene was one I was looking forward to :(
And the Luna commentary on the quidditch match!!! I so missed that one!!
<<

gottalovedraco

Muggle
Muggle

Post July 28th, 2009, 2:13 pm

gw wrote:
gottalovedraco wrote:
gw wrote:
kivock wrote:

really??? i missed that are u sure it was definetly levicorpus cause that would be a terrible idea by the screen writers... another reason i hate them

yeah im sure , I was surprised I never noticed it b4 and it doesnt even levitate the personn it blows them away
<<

gw

Third Year
Third Year

Post July 28th, 2009, 4:49 pm

wow thats retarded its wierd i missed that... but ya i didnt expect as much every spell in the movies at one point or another blows someone away... even expelliarmus in PoA and stupify in OotP, i half expected sectumsempra to blast him into a wall instead of cut him... awful

<<

Gilmoy

Squib
Squib

Post August 1st, 2009, 4:04 pm

lamathe04 wrote:After all, the only reason Malfoy managed to disarm Dumbledore in the books was because Dumbledore was too busy dealing with Harry.

The books never make clear just how much Dumbledore anticpated. We do know that Dumbledore:

- knew Draco was trying to kill him on Voldemort's orders;
- guessed (accurately) that Draco didn't really want to;
- probably knew that it was Draco coming up the stairs at that moment;
- colluded with Snape to have Snape kill him

Dumbledore surely anticipated that the Elder Wand would transferr to Snape. OTOH, nobody else in the world, including Snape, knew that Dumbledore had the Elder Wand. Holding that secret throughout his adult life was one of Dumbledore's finest triumphs. Not even Xenophilius nor Ollivander knew where the Elder Wand was -- they both mention that its trail through history had gone cold. Even Voldemort didn't make the connection, until he broke Ollivander just because he was a wandmaker, backtracked to Gregorovitch, and pillaged his memory of Grindelwald absconding with the wand.

The wizarding community all saw Dumbledore challenge and defeat (kill) Grindelwald in 1945, but it's obvious that they never understood it was really about the Elder Wand -- they just saw it as a showdown between two studs, without understanding why Grindelwald was so studly. This is clear from the fact that not even a hint or rumor of the Elder Wand/Deathstick legend ever attached to Dumbledore. From DH:

Ron: “Only if you were prat enough to go dancing around, waving it over your head, and singing, ‘I’ve got an unbeatable wand, come and have a go if you think you’re good enough.’ As long as you kept your trap shut—”
Hermione: “Yes, but could you keep your trap shut?”

Dumbledore kept his trap shut for ~52 years!!

Now, almost surely Dumbledore did not anticipate that Draco would open with an Expelliarmus, nor that it would actually succeed. He had no particular skill at Divination. Rowling mentions (through Ollivander in DH) that wand transference is still not fully understood by the wizarding community. She hints that the Elder Wand itself chose Draco, as a thread of beyond-even-wizards legendary status that lurks under the surface of DH's adventure/quest veneer. In hindsight, we can see that this was a necessary plot device for Harry to gain the Elder Wand by later disarming Draco. In contrast, Harry probably had no chance to ever disarm a hostile Snape. Push that plot device back into DH's world, and it becomes the unwritten implication that the Elder Wand somehow recognized Harry as its "true" master, and schemed on its own to chart a path-through-wizards that could bring itself to him. Oooh.

Think what this means to the tattered shreds of Draco's ego in the decades afterward, as he realizes that the Elder Wand deliberately chose him because he was weak enough for Harry to beat :D Poor Draco!

Epilogue: Given that Harry and Voldemort both mentioned the Elder Wand by name during their final duel, in front of 500+ witnesses beyond reproach, it seems that the wizarding world "knows" that Harry is now its rightful owner. Ron, Hermione, and the portraits are the only ones that know he gave it up. So -- he's still a target for the rest of his life :o
Last edited by Gilmoy on August 1st, 2009, 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric / Gilmoy
<<

Gilmoy

Squib
Squib

Post August 1st, 2009, 5:09 pm

Rowling's writing style involves the fairly rare literary device of forward references, where she plants clues and throw-away lines in advance that ripen into relevance 2-3 books later. This is rare because it requires that the author plan the entire series in advance -- and most young authors don't have the patience, nor the luxury to develop that much backstory before their first sale. It also helped greatly that Rowling planned from the beginning for the series to be finite -- 7 books echoing a traditional UK 7-year boarding-school education.

These forward references are hard to pull off across movie sequels. (Heck, from the Back to the Future franchise, we see that they're darn hard to pull off within a single movie :wink:) Curiously, the HP movies have invariably omitted all such forward references:

Sorcerer's Stone:
- Did Snape mention the bezoar in Harry's first potions class? In any case, HBP cut it down to just a throw-away mention at the end of Slughorn's class, without explaining its significance.

Order of the Phoenix:
- no Slytherin's true locket while cleaning Grimmaud Place
- no two-way mirror as a gift from Sirius

Half-Blood Prince:
- no memory of Hepzibah with locket and Hufflepuff's cup
- no sighting of Helena Ravenclaw's ghost after Ron's poisoning: Hagrid stopped talking as the ghost of a long-haired woman drifted serenely past ...
- no tiara (Ravenclaw's diadem) in the Room of Hidden Things
- Dumbledore in the cave doesn't rave "hurt me instead" (re: Grindelwald torturing Aberforth / Ariana)

I see these omissions as the screenwriters' deliberate tweaks to make each movie self-contained, to avoid having frustrated reviewers label the whole franchise as a closed world requiring "in-knowledge" to fully enjoy. Rowling delighted in writing for the loyal fan who has all 7 books within arm's-reach (or in searchable PDFs on disk :D), and can go flipping on an Easter egg hunt, but that's not accessible to a fan in a theater.

I don't mind so much that the Skirmish of Hogwarts got cut from HBP. Think from the director's POV -- the scene that made the cut, with the Death Eaters, Snape, and Malfoy simply walking out, was already plenty complex enough, involving several long camera angles, outdoor night lighting, seven people walking around at night, etc. That's already tough to choreograph. Force movie directors to recreate a huge battlefield encounter in the current economy, and you'll get something even less believable than Legolas on the Oliphant. Headslap!
Eric / Gilmoy
<<

Ziggy

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 2nd, 2009, 7:53 am

Saw the movie yesterday, whilst I enjoy everything Harry Potterish, the movie definately could have been better.

1. Harry flirting with the girl at the train station at the beginning, what the hell was that?

2. The burrow scene was totally unnessesary, stupid and didn't accomplish anything. The burrow being destroyed really screws things up for the next movies.

3. They should have showed Hagrid escaping from his house. To me it seemed to imply that he was burned alive in his house.

4. The Ginny/Harry scenes were just awful. When she "baby feeds" him that pie? What were they thinking? Thank God Ron butted in and saved us all from that.

5. They should have had a proper battle at the end of the movie at the school. It was a real anti-climax. The Death Eaters just basically kill Dumbledore and run amock with no opposition. What the hell were the other teachings doing? Fenrir Greyback was almost a completely useless cast addition as he didn't actually do anything, nore did they explain anything about him. Not even that he is a werewolf I don't think? I know he looked sort of beastish, but would it really have been that hard to give Lupin a couple of lines explaining about him?

6. Dumbledore is a bit.... ignorant? He just isn't nearly as knowledgable about Riddle as he should be. They should have gone into more detail about Voldemorts character/personality/history. Voldemort is seriously lacking in character development atm.

7. Horcruxes needed a lot more explaining, and a lot more speculation about what they might be and where they might be found between Harry and Dumbledore.

8. More Quidditch. Honestly, I just absoloutely love it. The couldv'e had the fact that they won the quidditch cup in at least. That's when Harry and Ginny kiss, they didn't need to do it in the stupid room of requirement.

9. A few characters definately needed more attention. Lupin, Tonks needed more air time and bill and Fluer should have made an appearance. Also would have liked an appearance of the new prime minister with Percy. What is the point of showing these characters in other movies if they just fade away?

10. Harry needed to ask more questions about the HBP. He doesn't even seem interested to know who it is. He couldv'e asked Lupin and tonks about it. At the end when Snape said "I'm the HBP" it was sort of just like "who cares?"

11. And when Harry uses the Sceptum... whatever spell on Malfoy in the toilets, could have done with a lot more blood and a lot more wounds and not made it so easy to heal. Didn't seem very serious and Harry didn't get any punishment, so again it was just like... "what's the big deal?"

12. Basically it should have just been a lot longer. At least half an hour longer, bringing it up to 3hours. Would anyone really care about an extra half hour? I definately wouldn't, as it would improve the film immeasurably. Wish they did "extended editions" like LOTR did as well.

13. Minor thing, but when Hermoine attacks Ron with her little birds, they should have just pecked him not splattered against the wall.

14. Also, Hermoines hair when her potion blows up in her face at the beginning was awesome. It should be like that for 99% of all the films and she just slicks it down for special occasions, like Slughorns party. Would make her much more Hermoine-ish. Emma Watson is totally awesome, but she's just a bit too hot. Like someone else said, who the crap would give two hoots about Ginny whilst Emma Watson is around? Which brings me to my other point.

15. Bonnie Wright is attractive, but why do they make her look and sound so dull in these films? They could definately have made her much, much, much better looking with a better haircut and makeup. Hopefully they will make her hotter in the next film.
<<

pnutbutterandkelly

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 6th, 2009, 3:23 am

lamathe04 wrote:I was also annoyed by the scene on the astronomy tower - it was totally out of character for Harry to just stand there and let it all happen when he had the choice not to.

TOTALLY AGREED. I mean, seriously, it made so much more sense in the book since he couldn't move at all with that Body-Bind Curse. But Harry wouldn't have just stood there and let it all happen. So stupid.
<<

AsianaMalfoyBlack

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 9th, 2009, 11:27 pm

gw wrote:
kivock wrote:

They were definately learning levicorpus in the ROR during DA lessons but it wasn't the hoisted up by the ankle one it was, as you said, a jet of air holding them up, but they were saying levicorpus. Also Colin wasn't in OOTP that young kid that took up so much screen time was called Nigel anyone have any idea who he was supposed to be ? Another relative of a director or something maybe? Or just another redhead hanging around ??
"Wow, I wonder what it'd be like to have a difficult life?"
<<

Pensieve Seeker

Squib
Squib

Post July 22nd, 2017, 4:30 am

Re:

Ziggy wrote: *snip*
2. The burrow scene was totally unnessesary, stupid and didn't accomplish anything. The burrow being destroyed really screws things up for the next movies.

Did it?

Ziggy wrote:3. They should have showed Hagrid escaping from his house. To me it seemed to imply that he was burned alive in his house.*snip*

Hagrid was shown with the others on the lawn, so why would anyone think he was burned alive in his house?

Ziggy wrote:8. More Quidditch. Honestly, I just absoloutely love it. The couldv'e had the fact that they won the quidditch cup in at least. That's when Harry and Ginny kiss, they didn't need to do it in the stupid room of requirement.*snip*

So, where exactly in the movie should winning the Quidditch cup have been?
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post October 22nd, 2017, 4:57 am

Re: What do you wish they hadn't changed the most!

Burrow scene was very good in my opinion. There were two main problems about the movie;

1) Same as every movie after PoA. The time. Long book, kinda short movie. They had to cut a lot of things.

2) Too much teenage drama. I like Harry's teenage drama in 5th and 6th book but movie overacted it.

Though Harry's sarcasm was even better than the book.
Previous

Return to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince