FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Anyone else think Daniel Radcliffe isn't a greatHarry?

<<

Victorious Death Eater

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post June 19th, 2011, 9:59 pm

I think Dan is great as Harry, he's the only person I can imagine as Harry (probably because I watched the first film before I read the books) and also no matter what you guys say I think he's a great actor sure he struggles at times but I'm sure pretty much every actor/actress does.
"Tell them how it happened that night. How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
-Harry to Snape, Deathly Hallows Part 2
<<

Great Wizard

Third Year
Third Year

Post July 23rd, 2011, 1:56 am

Dan is not only a bad Harry, he's bad in everything, a very bad actor.
<<

PotterMarauder

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post July 24th, 2011, 2:06 am

I think he's an awesome Harry. But that's just because I can't see anyone else in his place. If someone else had been Harry from the beginning, I would be saying the same thing. I am loyal to Radcliffe!
Image Image
<<

Sarah Peverell

First Year
First Year

Post July 29th, 2011, 12:02 pm

What bothers me the most is that I don't picture Harry like him, but I can't blame him for that! We all picture our own Harry Potter :)

I remember when my dad showed me who was going to play Harry, I was like 11-12 years old and I shouted "BUT IT'S NOT HIM" lol

However, I think his acting has a lot improved since the first movies, but yes, he's not Harry to me... :? sorry for his fans :lol:
* When you're sad, just remember that it is the dementors fault and it is perfectly normal to eat loads of chocolate ;) *
<<

Omega

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post August 6th, 2011, 8:42 pm

I could not picture anyone else as Harry, I think Dan as Harry is great
<<

CMWriter

Third Year
Third Year

Post August 6th, 2011, 8:52 pm

I think Radcliffe is much more suited for the stage. I've seen video and such of him doing stage performance and he seems a lot more comfortable and animated than he is on the silver screen. Like others were saying, a lot of it may have been the directing. I thought he did a very fine job in DH2 and even DH1, and overall in most of the movies.

BUt the thing is... who else would've been better suited for the role of Harry, taking into account they'd have to be around Radcliffe's age? And probably look somewhat like the artistic/written renditions of Harry?

Point is I think Radcliffe's a great actor. There are tons of great actors/actresses who've looked bad because they had bad directors for whatever film they were in.

And this is relatively minor but was anyone else bothered by the fact that Harry's eyes in the film(s) were never all that green..? They always looked more blue or blue-green even though everyone always made a BIG deal about his eyes..? "You have your mother's eyes" and all..?

Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but just a thought. xD
Pottermore: PhoenixThestral***
(Ask for numbers in a PM!)
<<

gudnylara7

Squib
Squib

Post August 8th, 2011, 2:57 pm

I like him :)
<<

arunendu

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post July 7th, 2012, 4:46 am

Sorry but i cant agree with you about daniel not being good actor because i like his acting,he is a great actor.He is perfect for the role harry. :)
<<

GinnyPotter01

Muggle
Muggle

Post December 4th, 2012, 11:11 pm

No offence but Daniel is amazing and it's not his fault the director added or deleted a scene for him. I think he plays Harry exactly as Harry is meant to be. Besides, in the Half-blood prince, I felt everyone was a little bit weird even in the books. I mean, all Ron did really was snog Lavender, Ginny was always arguing with Dean, Harry kept on going on about his chest monster (I love Harry/Ginny but that was a bit annoying) and Hermione lost her spine and was crying all the time.
<<

GoldBat18661

First Year
First Year

Post December 4th, 2012, 11:14 pm

I like Dan, I like his acting.
"Dobby never meant to kill, Dobby only meant to maim, or to seriously injure!"

<Dobby Forever & Always>
~GoldBat
<<

user224

First Year
First Year

Post July 22nd, 2013, 5:13 pm

Re: Anyone else think Daniel Radcliffe isn't a greatHarry?

Of course he's perfect for Harry fancied him since I was little lol.
<<

Nikaday

Third Year
Third Year

Post August 2nd, 2013, 10:01 am

I think he's the best Harry Potter EVER!

Um, he was the only Potter.. ever.
"Their flesh shall nourish yours, their blood shall flow within you, as the beetle nourishes the lark so shall human nourish vampire."
<<

DarkSage

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 2nd, 2014, 9:56 pm

He acting skills is kinda bland. It is like he is forcing himself to convey emotion rather than embracing it.
<<

Samovila

Annamal
Annamal

Post January 3rd, 2014, 2:20 am

I like Daniel Radcliffe as Harry and I thought he acted the part well.
True Blue Ravenclaw
Pottermore Fan Forum Name: Samovila-FireBird
<<

AmeliePoptart

First Year
First Year

Post January 5th, 2014, 11:11 am

Two things:

One - until Goblet of Fire, he looked the part (the hair cut isn't working).

Two - like everyone else, I think some fault lies within the screenwriting/directing. In real life, Dan is incredibly charismatic and funny.

Keep in mind, Harry is a very internal character. He doesn't often project this thoughts and feelings into the external world; and he compensates for his dry, sarcastic humor. In the films, they've tried to portray Harry as a stoic hero. I don't think the blandness is a reflection on Dan's acting abilities - it's what the director wants to show on screen.

I mean, let's not forget they cut Harry's scream when Sirius died because it was "too agonizing."
http://amyrae2609.wordpress.com/

House: Ravenclaw
Wand:
    Length: 10 3/4 in
    Wood: Holly
    Core: Unicorn
    Flexibility: Surprisingly Swishy
Boggart: Never finding/losing true love
Patronus: Phoenix or Butterflies
<<

SergioKunAguero

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 9th, 2014, 10:50 pm

I think Radcliffe did a great job as Harry, I certainly couldn't picture another Harry in my head now. Yes he has some weaknesses but what actor doesn't? Well suited to the task.
<<

StormCauldron

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 11th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Harry changes, so do we when we grow up. Up until the 4th movie, Harry really came across like a child. After that point, more like a young adult; a teenager, or however you want to call it. :) You have to keep in mind that this is a movie franchise that lasted for more than 10 years. You get to see an 11 year old becoming a 17 year old. Or, in real life, an 11 year old Dan turning 21.
Whatever it is that changes Harry; Daniel Radcliffe remained the very same actor. The script changed though, and so did the directors. He can't be blamed for doing as he is told. And maybe this change was unavoidable. The books become darker and more serious throughout the story. You can't compare the evens in part 1 to the events in the 7th movie. A darker story might not allow Harry to be the innocent guy he used to be.

However, I do agree there is too much tension in the movies. One of the things Rowling did a great job on, is dividing happenings. She knew exactly when something excited had to happen and when it was time to 'calm down'. This gave the book a perfect balance. This, sadly, is not in the movies. There always seems to be tension, and Harry always seems to be bothered.

I do feel like Radcliffe is not the best actor in the world. Especially when he has to show heavy emotions. His angry-face is just...well... Not very good, haha.
<<

raclle

Auror
Auror

Post May 11th, 2014, 9:11 pm

I didn't think the trio were any good.They cant act,it seems wooden and forced
<<

Luna Luvgood

Squib
Squib

Post November 27th, 2014, 10:05 am

I love Dan as Harry and that's not angry, he's frustrated. I've grown with the movies and I don't know if I want to read the books cause Movie-Harry is so amazing for me.
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post July 4th, 2017, 8:57 pm

I think he was great in first four movies. I don't know what happened to him after that... Whether I like him or not, he will always be Harry Potter in my heart.
Previous

Return to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince