FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Am I missing something here?

<<

AurorMarkonn

First Year
First Year

Post March 14th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Am I missing something here?

I've just started rewatching HBP and at the beginning when Harry is back at the Burrow, in one scene he is sat down with Hermione and Ron and there is some floating object (maybe wood) burning away, and Harry appears to be using his wand to levitate the object? Whatever it was, it was definitely magical.

But aren't they still 16 in this film, and so wouldn't Harry be doing underage magic? I'm 99% sure that scene didn't occur in the book, so has been added in to this film.

Am I missing something here (more than likely, I'm recovering from a stag do) or is this something that would never have happened due to their age?
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post March 15th, 2016, 10:01 am

Re: Am I missing something here?

Taken from here: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Underage_magic

"According to Albus Dumbledore, although the Ministry can detect the use of magic near an underage witch or wizard, they cannot determine who performed it. This is why Harry was blamed for the Hover Charm used by Dobby at his aunt and uncle's house; since Harry was the only wizard who lived there, the Ministry assumed he was the only one who could have cast the spell. In the home of a wizarding family, it is up to the adults to enforce the rules for underage members of the household (also according to Dumbledore). This is consistent with the relatively numerous incidences of underage magic mentioned as having been performed at home by Fred and George Weasley."

You're right though, it's not in the books. Just like that weird scene where the Burrow burns down.
<<

AurorMarkonn

First Year
First Year

Post March 17th, 2016, 8:11 pm

The Fifth Marauder wrote:Taken from here: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Underage_magic

"According to Albus Dumbledore, although the Ministry can detect the use of magic near an underage witch or wizard, they cannot determine who performed it. This is why Harry was blamed for the Hover Charm used by Dobby at his aunt and uncle's house; since Harry was the only wizard who lived there, the Ministry assumed he was the only one who could have cast the spell. In the home of a wizarding family, it is up to the adults to enforce the rules for underage members of the household (also according to Dumbledore). This is consistent with the relatively numerous incidences of underage magic mentioned as having been performed at home by Fred and George Weasley."

You're right though, it's not in the books. Just like that weird scene where the Burrow burns down.

Thank you for the response, cleared it up for me. I knew there would be an explanation, but it just annoyed me how they add rubbish in all the time. So unnecessary
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post March 18th, 2016, 10:15 am

AurorMarkonn wrote:
The Fifth Marauder wrote:Taken from here: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Underage_magic

Thank you for the response, cleared it up for me. I knew there would be an explanation, but it just annoyed me how they add rubbish in all the time. So unnecessary

No problem! And I agree. HBP is one of the worst for it, too, imo.
<<

The Byrd

Squib
Squib

Post November 27th, 2016, 12:02 am

The initial response is accurate, plus (as stated by Dumbledore) a full trial for a simple case of underage magic isn't necessary. It's just like underage sex in the real world. It's illegal but it happens and it's so widespread that it's impossible to punish everyone.

Return to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince