FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WHY DID MOODY SOUND LIKE MOODY?!

<<

Jack the Lad

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 23rd, 2012, 3:26 am

WHY DID MOODY SOUND LIKE MOODY?!

Okay so this is a question that's been burdening me for some time.

In the Chamber of Secrets, when Harry and Ron used Polyjuice potion, they still sounded like themselves. The same can be said in the Deathly Hallows Part 1 when the seven Potters were created (each fake Potter sounded like their real selves), and when Harry, Ron and Hermione transormed into Ministry employees. And in Deathly Hallows Part 2, when Hermione transformed into Bellatrix, she still retained her voice (blimey I forgot how much Polyjuice potion was actually used in the Deathly Hallows).

But in the Goblet of Fire, something which I myself find to be a huge plot hole, BARTY CROUCH'S VOICE CHANGED INTO MOODY'S WHEN HE TOOK POLYJUICE POTION. Why is this? Unless of course, Barty Crouch Jr. is an extremely talented impressionist, of which I have high doubts.
"There is nothing to be feared from a body, Harry, any more than there is anything to be feared from the darkness... It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more." - APWBD.
<<

curiosity

Alchemist
Alchemist

Post August 23rd, 2012, 3:34 am

That always seemed strange to me. What your voice sound like depends in part on your anatomy, how big your vocal cords are, the size and shape of your nose, etc. How could your voice still sound the same if you looked like someone else?
<<

Jack the Lad

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 23rd, 2012, 4:11 am

curiosity wrote:That always seemed strange to me. What your voice sound like depends in part on your anatomy, how big your vocal cords are, the size and shape of your nose, etc. How could your voice still sound the same if you looked like someone else?

Very true, I believe in the books the voices DO change, so this was probably a mistake by the film producers. However, they really should have considered the Moody/Crouch scenario in film four, because it annoys me so much that he is the ONLY character that doesn't retain his voice after his transformation, and there's no explanation for it; almost like the film producers are saying: "nobody'll notice, he can just keep the same voice".
"There is nothing to be feared from a body, Harry, any more than there is anything to be feared from the darkness... It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more." - APWBD.
<<

Hermione999

Violinist
Violinist

Post August 23rd, 2012, 4:51 am

Wow, I had never actually thought about that. That's an excellent question. I think it was indeed a production mistake: Definitely. Also, the film makers didn't do such a good job in entering Hermione's voice as "Bellatrix" (who Hermione was disguised as) was talking to the goblin in Gringotts' Bank. I dont' know if you guys have noticed.
Image ♫ ♥ ♫
Image ♪ ♥ ♪
<<

Jack the Lad

Muggle
Muggle

Post August 23rd, 2012, 9:56 am

Hermione999 wrote:Wow, I had never actually thought about that. That's an excellent question. I think it was indeed a production mistake: Definitely. Also, the film makers didn't do such a good job in entering Hermione's voice as "Bellatrix" (who Hermione was disguised as) was talking to the goblin in Gringotts' Bank. I dont' know if you guys have noticed.

Yeah I noticed that, it was pretty poorly dubbed considering they're supposed to have top-quality producers!
<<

GinnyX

Mrs. George Weasley
Mrs. George Weasley

Post August 23rd, 2012, 10:38 pm

In the books the voices changed with the polyjuice potion. That makes sense to me. I mean, if this outsides are changing, the insides are changing which would affect the the voices, no?

For some reason, the film makers decided not to have that happen. That is a weird choice, imo. It came back to bite them when it came to the fourth movie because the polyjuice potion turned out to be a plot device. It was first introduced to us in CoS as a fun, but serious potion, but JKR was introducing it to us because she had bigger plans for it in the future. The film makers should have seen that coming. The fourth book did come out in time, but I don't think the film makers did their research, honestly.

As for how the film makers handled it...
Fake!Moody's voice would have to sound like Moody because Barty Jr had to trick people he's known for years all school-year long. Whether or not Barty Jr was good at impersonating people doesn't matter. He'd have to get good at impersonating Moody if he wanted to trick everyone. Keeping Moody locked away nearby was ingenious. Barty Jr. could study his movements and listen to his voice until he got the impersonation down pat.
No one else that switched bodies (until Hermione->Bellatrix) really needed to talk during their missions. Even Crabbe and Goyle don't talk much as it is.
The film makers must have realized that it's fine for Ron and Harry to do terrible impersonations for a few minutes, but in order to make it realistic that Barty Jr would trick that many people, the voice would need to change.
Hermione does try to disguise her voice as Bellatrix, but she didn't do a very good job.
<<

Nikaday

Third Year
Third Year

Post March 7th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Re: WHY DID MOODY SOUND LIKE MOODY?!

Yeah, you have to remember that the filmmakers were thinking about the people who have never read the books so they had to have his voice disguised so the "twist" toward the end would be more shocking. So to speak.
"Their flesh shall nourish yours, their blood shall flow within you, as the beetle nourishes the lark so shall human nourish vampire."
<<

hayden_potter

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post March 8th, 2013, 4:43 am

This is not a plot hole. When "Moody" takes Harry to his office immediately after the Graveyard battle and admits everything he'd done, he does A PERFECT IMPRESSION OF HAGRID. This proves that in the films, Barty Crouch Jr is a brilliant voice actor, brilliant enough to impersonate Moody and fool everyone for an entire year.
<<

Eisa

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 19th, 2013, 3:23 am

Not to mention when Harry and Ron took Polyjuice, they were 12-year-olds. Barty Crouch Jr. is a fully grown man, who's probably had plenty of practice with things ((and there are also probably spells/potions that would change your voice, if the Polyjuice wouldn't do it for you)). And he was a brilliant voice actor, so...
And in the silence, who will call me back?
<<

RedWhiteBlueUSA

Azkaban Prisoner
Azkaban Prisoner

Post July 28th, 2013, 6:37 pm

I'm guessing since Jr was older and more divous he practice Moody's voice. Harry, Ron and Hermione never practiced the voices. That is my guess at least.

Gryffindor Pride

I'd go insane for Luna

is proud to be a Granger

The best part about Gryffindor... We got Nole colors!!

I am a Jesus Freak. If you open your eyes you will see it all.
<<

dreamer_x

Tenth Doctor's Best Companion
Tenth Doctor's Best Companion

Post July 28th, 2013, 7:27 pm

Crouch was working for Voldemort. He wasn't going to go into Hogwarts pretending to be an old friend of Dumbledore's without having got the voice of Moody town to a 't'. He couldn't afford for it to go wrong, he had to be able to be Moody. But like GinnyX said, if the outsides are changing, the insides would be changing, so the vocal cords etc would be changing, which is why Rowling makes it so that the voices do change in the book.

Just to back up what hayden_potter said...David Tennant who play's Crouch is a brilliant actor when it comes to voices, he's Scottish yet had a perfect English accent, but I highly doubt that they would have had Tennant playing FakeMoody the entire film, they'd have had Brendan Gleeson, who play's Moody. Tennant would have only been Moody in the end after the graveyard.
<<

Celestina Black

Sixth Year
Sixth Year

Post August 27th, 2014, 1:02 am

That's always been a huge question for me too.

Image Image

"You are my son, from tip to tail." - JR Ewing; Dallas
<<

raclle

Auror
Auror

Post August 27th, 2014, 2:50 am

Re:

GinnyX wrote:In the books the voices changed with the polyjuice potion. That makes sense to me. I mean, if this outsides are changing, the insides are changing which would affect the the voices, no?

For some reason, the film makers decided not to have that happen. That is a weird choice, imo. It came back to bite them when it came to the fourth movie because the polyjuice potion turned out to be a plot device. It was first introduced to us in CoS as a fun, but serious potion, but JKR was introducing it to us because she had bigger plans for it in the future. The film makers should have seen that coming. The fourth book did come out in time, but I don't think the film makers did their research, honestly.

As for how the film makers handled it...
Fake!Moody's voice would have to sound like Moody because Barty Jr had to trick people he's known for years all school-year long. Whether or not Barty Jr was good at impersonating people doesn't matter. He'd have to get good at impersonating Moody if he wanted to trick everyone. Keeping Moody locked away nearby was ingenious. Barty Jr. could study his movements and listen to his voice until he got the impersonation down pat.
No one else that switched bodies (until Hermione->Bellatrix) really needed to talk during their missions. Even Crabbe and Goyle don't talk much as it is.
The film makers must have realized that it's fine for Ron and Harry to do terrible impersonations for a few minutes, but in order to make it realistic that Barty Jr would trick that many people, the voice would need to change.
Hermione does try to disguise her voice as Bellatrix, but she didn't do a very good job.

This is the correct answer everybody.
<<

Lumiere

Albus
Albus

Post August 27th, 2014, 11:27 am

Yeah yeah good voice trick and all... Now, if only he'd get rid of his tongue habit then he would be a perfect impersonation of Moody.
<<

undesirableN.1

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 2nd, 2014, 7:50 am

This is something that has been driving me crazy for a loooong time! Of course I would see this issue addressed on this forum site and not within the conversations of my friends lol, seeing as they aren't fans. So as we all know in the books when you take the polyjuice potion your appearance and voice change, and they totally went against it in the movies, i.e. ron and harry in chamber of secrets, hermione as bellatrix and so on. For some reason Jk let them make these changes which doesnt make any sense, because its clear that this factor is what cleared her on that amazing twist with jr barty being mad eye. So it makes the producers look real stupid when they have to go to joes original idea when they already tried to change it form the start, and then go back again in DH!!!!!!!
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post December 15th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Also in Chamber of Secrets film Hermione didn't have any fear of saying Voldemort, in fact she had Dumbledore's line from the books. "Fear of the name" but then in the fifth film which doesn't make sense like the voices with the polyjuice potion is Hermione suddenly able to say Voldemort for the first time like she couldn't say it in the past. But she could say it in the past, when she said the line about "fear of the name".
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.

Return to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire