FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours

<<

Silver_Doe

Second Year
Second Year

Post March 21st, 2011, 8:22 pm

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours

Ok so at the end of the film version, and I do not remember if it is also in the book, I wanna say it is not but I am not yet there in my re-reading of it, right after Moody's polyjuice potion expires and he is revealed as Crouch jr, he exposes the dark mark on his arm and says:

"I'll show you mind, if you show me yours".

Dumbledore than grabs Harry's wounded bloodied arm form which the enemy's blood had been "forcibly taken", and shoves it towards Crouch Jr's dark mark. He does this in a way which makes it seem as though this response from Harry was urgent.

So many times, I have watched this film throughout the years it's existed and I have never understood this gesture, what did it mean and what is it's significance? Or is it perhaps one of those senseless stupidities which film adaptions of books tend to throw in?
ImageImage

"My mother's patronus, it was a doe wasn't it? Like Professor Snape's? Curious."
~ Silver_Doe (Formally CedricsGirl)
<<

mitchellshazia

Chicken Queen
Chicken Queen

Post March 21st, 2011, 9:19 pm

I don't think that had any real meaning. If it did, it isn't significant enough to fret too much over. Dumbledore's a weird bloke, y'know...
:chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:Chickens!
I am the the official Chicken Master and Queen.
<<

Silver_Doe

Second Year
Second Year

Post March 21st, 2011, 10:15 pm

Ok thanks, I have just always been curious about that since it's so strange.
ImageImage

"My mother's patronus, it was a doe wasn't it? Like Professor Snape's? Curious."
~ Silver_Doe (Formally CedricsGirl)
<<

IceSkater

Squib
Squib

Post April 2nd, 2011, 9:27 am

Yeah, I was a bit confused by that too...I think maybe Crouch wanted to see where the Dark Lord cut Harry, as confirmation he was back or something? I dunno, I'm not really making any sense, lol...
You dare speak his name...? YOU FILTHY HALF-BLOOD!!!
<<

Nerdo

First Year
First Year

Post April 26th, 2011, 12:07 pm

When did he say that because my brother and I was thinking he was talking about dicks lol!He's a sicko plus how does he die in the deathly hallows?
<<

mitchellshazia

Chicken Queen
Chicken Queen

Post April 26th, 2011, 6:08 pm

I think it's that it means Voldemort's used Harry's blood to rebuild himself. I know I said something completely different before but this just occurred to me now.
:chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:Chickens!
I am the the official Chicken Master and Queen.
<<

Stupefy

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 27th, 2011, 3:31 am

Know what I thought first couple of times I saw that? Maybe this is dumb...but I honestly thought that the cut was like..I dunno, supposed to make us think that Wormtail had carved it in the shape of the dark mark tattoo. You know, cut it like a snake or something.

I know, stupid, but that's what I thought.
Slytherin Prefect The Dark Lord Ascending
<<

thatmalfoychick

Second Year
Second Year

Post May 1st, 2011, 7:32 pm

I think Crouch just wanted to see proof that Voldemort was really back. Right before this, he was asking Harry about what the graveyard was like, and what Voldmoert was like, and he knew that Harry's blood was now in Voldemort veins. As a follower, I think he really just wanted to see it was all true, and I think Dumbledore wanted to shut him up.
Our fate is spelled in the stars...<3
<<

River Malfoy

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post April 19th, 2012, 4:41 am

Well, the mark and the cut were in the same area. I think it was a symbol of loyalty even though Harry was not loyal to Voldemort. I think it was symbolism that Harry was all part of what was going on or something...
<<

Rosey678

Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin
Mrs. Hikaru Hitachiin

Post October 9th, 2012, 12:06 am

I am not sure why he wanted to see Harry's cut.

But one reason is that Barty crouch was one srsy messed up dude :P!
Gryffindor Prefect
<<

zero_ek

Second Year
Second Year

Post December 19th, 2012, 1:23 am

I love Barty Crouch Jr. He was funny. Yeah for some reason I kept thinking Harry's Cut had turned into the Dark Mark. And that was the reason why Dumbledore grabbed his arm and moved it over to Barty's.
<<

dreamer_x

Tenth Doctor's Best Companion
Tenth Doctor's Best Companion

Post January 27th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Re: I'll show you mine, if you show me yours

I was sure it was almost as proof that Voldemort had succeeded in returning? Barty Crouch Jr had known Voldemort's plan, known what he was going to do, so wanted to see the proof. So Barty Crouch showed his mark, the dark mark that was more visible because Voldemort had recently summoned the death eaters, and Dumbledore got Harry to show his cut.
That's what I think anyway.
<<

Eisa

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 19th, 2013, 3:21 am

^That's all I can think of, because that bit has always confused me.

And it does sound very wrong when Crouch Jr. says "I'll show you mine if you show me yours." :P
And in the silence, who will call me back?
<<

sniggex325

Squib
Squib

Post August 27th, 2013, 3:04 am

Goblet of Fire is my favorite HP movie but that one scene....that single scene is my least favorite scene of the entire series. I don't understand it, I have no idea why they included it, what purpose it serves. What really irritates me is that he said "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" which implies that they both have the same marking but harry just has a bloody sloopy cut that doesn't resemble anything. :fire:
<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post November 14th, 2013, 5:56 am

It wasn't in the book, I just read it. This is some weirdness the movie makers invented.

When watching it, though, it seems like the point of this part might be to draw attention to Harry's blood having been used to bring Voldemort back, since it was an important point in the books. Since in DH pt 2 they cut out any mention of why it mattered that Voldemort used Harry's blood, though, this scene is just confusing to anyone who didn't read the books.
<<

EireAbu

Auror
Auror

Post May 10th, 2015, 2:02 am

Silver_Doe wrote: Or is it perhaps one of those senseless stupidities which film adaptions of books tend to throw in?

This

The Prisoner of Azkaban wrote: This is some weirdness the movie makers invented. this scene is just confusing to anyone who didn't read the books.

And this

Its also confusing to anyone who has read the books.
<<

SpadoinkleDay

Muggle
Muggle

Post March 12th, 2017, 11:47 pm

I always thought it was a movie goof up.
I thought he was trying to get Snape to show him his dark mark as well for proof Voldemort was back.

Return to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire