HP4: the worst movie of the series?

<<

FrenchLovegood

First Year
First Year

Post August 15th, 2016, 2:57 pm

HP4: the worst movie of the series?

Hi! :)

Yesterday, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was on the first french channel, TF1. It was one of the four movies that I've not seen (the others are the two Deathly Hallows, that I don't want to watch before I have read the book, and The Order of the Phoenix), so I watched it.

Generally, I love the HP movies although I clearly prefer the books, but, this evening, I didn't found really agreable this Goblet of Fire, and yet I have loved the book.
First, the Ron & Harry's haircuts are absolutely monstruous :lol:
The action scenes before the Voldemort's return (the Cup's events) didn't hold my attention, although they are perfect esthetically. I didn't feel at all the same excitation that I read the books. I have almost been bored before this scenes.
I found that Daniel really lasks charisma. I know that it's also the Harry's personnality, but here, it's almost ridiculous so much Harry is clumsy. Rupert is just a little better. On the other hand, Emma is, as always, magnificent, touching... and sexy :cheer: Also, I found Dumbledore unusually badly-played but Snape was always so well-done.
But, generally speaking, they had less of depth. And the "comical scenes" are more ridiculous than comical, except the scene with Malfoy transformed to weasel of course :applause:
I probably would have turned off my TV before the end if the scene of Voldemort's return and Diggory's death hadn't arrived just at time. They are the only scenes who have interested me in this movie.
In conclusion, I will quickly forget this Goblet of Fire. It's the first time that a HP movie disappointed me :?

How do you feel about that? Do you also think that it's the worst movie of this series?
This time, I am sure that I did some mistakes because I tried some difficult grammatical constructions. I'd like that you report them to me, please ^^
I'm French and I wish to improve my English level, don't hesitate to correct my mistakes! Peace on you and long life to the Lovegood Army! :yingyang:
<<

The Byrd

Squib
Squib

Post November 26th, 2016, 11:29 pm

Re: HP4: the worst movie of the series?

I haven't seen too many people criticise the Goblet of Fire. In fact, it's most people's favourite Potter film. I certainly think that it's overrated but it's not bad at all in my opinion. My sister doesn't like Harry Potter whatsoever but she happens to like this film. It's definitely an interesting opinion, and thinking about it, I can see why you feel the way you do. The end is just amazing though.
<<

FrenchLovegood

First Year
First Year

Post November 26th, 2016, 11:44 pm

Maybe, I have so much loved the book that the movie couldn't be as perfect for me! I was really disappointed :sick:
However, I have clearly enjoyed the Order of the Phoenix!
I'm French and I wish to improve my English level, don't hesitate to correct my mistakes! Peace on you and long life to the Lovegood Army! :yingyang:
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post November 27th, 2016, 9:43 am

It's the only film that actually bored me. While I dislike the others, the fourth is in some ways the worst because not only does it have all the faults (bad storytelling, stupid additions, confusing etc) but I almost fell asleep while watching.
<<

harryfan95

First Year
First Year

Post November 29th, 2016, 2:34 am

Yes, it's the worst film of the serie that I've seen so far (I've seen the first five movies).

To be fair, I didn't really like Goblet of Fire the book either. The whole thing felt contrived. Basically, the bad guys were having Harry go through a whole tournament just so that he could get warped to one place for them to do a ritual. Did it really have to be THAT complicated? I know there are fan explanations for this, but it's still just not very well written.

The movie wasn't too good either. They went overboard with the "dark" aspect. The colors were overly desaturated, and the replacement for John Williams for the music was awful. I don't remember any of the music that was in the film, other than the music carried over from the previous films (which, from what I recall, was only the main theme).

Micheal Gambon as Dumbledore was at his worst in this film. It seemed he couldn't get two steps without getting overly angry or hyper. I laughed my head off at "HARRY! DID YA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET A FIYA!?!?!?!?!" with him shoving Harry against the wall. The guy wasn't even TRYING to portray the character in the film.

Order of the Phoenix on the other hand? Yes, I'll admit that they left a LOT of stuff out that could easily have been included (and it was the longest book, so why did it get the shortest movie? Why? They could have made it as long as the others and given it more elements that were in the book). But many of the changes were clever, and I enjoyed it, though this is probably because I had low expectations. The guy they picked for the music did a good job, and I remember some of the music from the film.

And I actually LIKED Micheal Gambon as Dumbledore in Order of the Phoenix. He actually seemed to be trying this time. I couldn't believe it.

But Goblet of Fire? Ugh. I consider it the lame middle chapter of the series.
"HARRY! DID YA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET A FIYA?" he asked calmly.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post November 29th, 2016, 11:50 pm

harryfan95 wrote:Order of the Phoenix on the other hand? Yes, I'll admit that they left a LOT of stuff out that could easily have been included (and it was the longest book, so why did it get the shortest movie? Why? They could have made it as long as the others and given it more elements that were in the book). But many of the changes were clever, and I enjoyed it, though this is probably because I had low expectations. The guy they picked for the music did a good job, and I remember some of the music from the film.

What changes did you think were clever and made it better than what was in the original?
<<

FrenchLovegood

First Year
First Year

Post December 4th, 2016, 12:27 am

I totally share your opinion, harryfan95 :cheer:
<<

Pensieve Seeker

Muggle
Muggle

Post February 15th, 2017, 10:01 pm

It was the HP movie I saw on t.v. back in 2009 that got me interested in reading the books. So, imo, I think it's a pretty decent movie.

Return to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire