FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Wandless Magic.

<<

Kino

Best Auror
Best Auror

Post July 30th, 2007, 12:10 pm

Wandless Magic.

Someone was saying that their was wandless magic going on in the movie. So I watched the movie last night and found that Dumbledore had used wandless magic. I don't quite remember how he used it, but I wrote it down.
<<

GinnyX

Mrs. George Weasley
Mrs. George Weasley

Post July 30th, 2007, 1:26 pm

Wasn't it when he put the candle off and then on in the beginning, during the welcoming feast? And doesn't he do it again when Harry is falling from the sky?
<<

Kino

Best Auror
Best Auror

Post July 30th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Yes thanks. It's when Harry is falling from the skies. Because it couldn't be the candles because Lupin was doing the exact same thing when he was teaching Harry how to produce the Patronus.
<<

Ron4ever

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post July 30th, 2007, 5:31 pm

i dont think the wandless magic was in the book.
i think it was just added in the movie.
but i could be wrong
Bloody Hell!!

banner made by harrys_gal
<<

EmzehP

Second Year
Second Year

Post December 23rd, 2007, 4:33 am

Yeah, but come on, its Dumbledore, he's like the most powerful wizard ever... and he amazing... LOL... but yeah, there was wandless magic, specially when harry was falling, he got up and sed the spell thingy..
<<

Hermione999

Violinist
Violinist

Post August 21st, 2008, 6:19 pm

Yeah. I noticed that Dumbledore could have had used real magic because he turned off the candle in the Great Hall and on again. I think that was real magic. I noticed that when I last time saw Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. That was real magic. 8)
Image ♫ ♥ ♫
Image ♪ ♥ ♪
<<

NimbusHeart23368

Muggle
Muggle

Post December 16th, 2012, 7:17 pm

What the ... is real magic? Is there some kind of unreal magic? Do you mean like cardtricks and stuff? Illusions?
Btw. the wandless magic is propably the moment where Dumbledore protects Harry fom falling out of the sky and die with "aresto momentum" which can be seen in the very last Harry Potter movie, used by Hermione to do the exact same thing, but there you see what it actually does, because in PoA the picture just gets blurry and the next thing you see is Harry waking up...
<<

zero_ek

Second Year
Second Year

Post December 19th, 2012, 1:12 am

Must be some spells that people can do without a wand? I guess since Dumbledore is so powerful his fingers each count as a wand.
<<

Savannahs2012

Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Post January 10th, 2013, 4:44 pm

Isn't there something later on in the books that explains wandless magic?
*~*Reading: Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire-2nd time*~*
<<

pygmypuff

Second Year
Second Year

Post March 28th, 2013, 11:15 pm

Re: Wandless Magic.

I always wondered how wandless magic came to be, but yes I noticed this.
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times,
if one only remembers to turn on the light."

Pygmy Puff | Twitter | Blog
<<

Lumiere

Albus
Albus

Post June 17th, 2014, 9:46 am

There are other examples of wandless magic in POA...

Earlier on at the Leaky Cauldron (the scene where Harry enters Leaky Cauldron after alighting the knight bus), you see a guy stirring his drink simply by doing circling motions with his finger around the spoon.

Then you also see this guy who works at the Leaky Cauldron who moves chairs on to the table just with a gesture of his hand.
<<

IffyCougar832

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 24th, 2016, 3:44 pm

pygmypuff wrote:I always wondered how wandless magic came to be, but yes I noticed this.

The better question would be how Wands came to be used, would it not? It would seem logical that wizards used wandless magic up until the point that wands came around.
<<

judvine

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 4th, 2016, 11:33 am

IffyCougar832 wrote:The better question would be how Wands came to be used, would it not? It would seem logical that wizards used wandless magic up until the point that wands came around.

Interesting. As we know, magical abilities become visible in infants rather by accident. There must've been an evolutionary step in the wizarding history when witches and wizards got to control and improve their abilities and find out about other magical life forms, like house elfs or goblins. The history of the wand would be an interesting piece to read.

Back to topic: the use of wandless magic already occurs in Philosopher's Stone during the quidditch match in which Quirrel tries to knock Harry off his broom by mumbling incantations and being blocked by Snapes mumbled a countercurse. Fast forward to HBP: Hermione casts the confundus charm on Cormac during quidditch try outs. Maybe the use of a wand merely helps channeling the magical powers of a wizard/witch, while the use of wandless magic is an intuitive ability. The next question that comes to mind would be what kind of abilities other creatures could develop if they were to possess and use a wand.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 5th, 2016, 11:35 pm

judvine wrote:
IffyCougar832 wrote:The better question would be how Wands came to be used, would it not? It would seem logical that wizards used wandless magic up until the point that wands came around.

Back to topic: the use of wandless magic already occurs in Philosopher's Stone during the quidditch match in which Quirrel tries to knock Harry off his broom by mumbling incantations and being blocked by Snapes mumbled a countercurse. Fast forward to HBP: Hermione casts the confundus charm on Cormac during quidditch try outs. Maybe the use of a wand merely helps channeling the magical powers of a wizard/witch, while the use of wandless magic is an intuitive ability. The next question that comes to mind would be what kind of abilities other creatures could develop if they were to possess and use a wand.

Why do you think either of those were cases of wandless magic? Just because you don't outright point your wand at something/someone doesn't mean it's not being used.
<<

judvine

Muggle
Muggle

Post September 6th, 2016, 6:50 am

Grrarrggh wrote:
judvine wrote:

Why do you think either of those were cases of wandless magic? Just because you don't outright point your wand at something/someone doesn't mean it's not being used.

Of course you're right - only because the wand isn't mentioned, doesn't mean it isn't used. Yet I think that always assuming a wand is used, though it isn't mentioned, doesn't make sense. Maybe the wandless magic stuff in the books just occurs because of JKs writing mistakes. In the films, I believe it isn't thought through - it just loooks cool.
<<

Deitus

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post September 6th, 2016, 3:45 pm

According to pottermore, the wand is a European tool. Notable groups such as the wizarding school in Africa and native american witches do not learn using wands at all.
<<

The Byrd

Squib
Squib

Post November 26th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Aresto momentum, no?

Return to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban