FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How do any book fans like the third movie?

<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post March 4th, 2014, 5:17 am

How do any book fans like the third movie?

I really want to know, so that I can be less furious about the way it came out. I mean, the most core content was James and his friends and how their stories relate to Harry,
Spoiler: show
and if that's not the most important content, and the rest of the book was so interesting without it, why has so much stuff that wasn't even in the book been added to the movie?!?
but all that information is gone. Not to mention these are mystery novels, and in the movie the mystery is completely gone since all the Marauder-related information is gone. There's a long list of other things that aggravate me about this movie, but those ones are the only I can't ignore. I would've been able to give the movie a passing grade if they had just added like 5 minutes of extra dialogue in the Shrieking Shack,
This is all that was required (I still would've felt like there was too much missing, but they at least could've put this in):

"We made this map, those are our names, they planted the tree and built the shack because of me, my friends became animagi to be with me during the full moon"

"I escaped and no one knew how because I was an unregistered animagus"

I mean, did they even try?
but they couldn't even do that! They didn't even film the missing information and give it to us later on as deleted scenes!
For some reason everywhere I go on the internet everyone always says it's their favorite of the movies and how brilliant Alfonso Cauron is (and not just those who haven't read the books, either!). I always thought he majorly missed the point of the book. The changes in the movie just seem too much like disloyalty to me, not like necessary changes.
I like this quote: "this director has chosen to emphasize a series of events which gloss over the main emotional threads in the novel."
Am I wrong?!? Really, I want to know.
<<

TheGreySpecies

Squib
Squib

Post March 4th, 2014, 5:22 am

Re: How do any book fans like the third movie?

The Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:I really want to know, so that I can be less furious about the way it came out. I mean, the most core content was James and his friends and how their stories relate to Harry,
and if that's not the most important content, and the rest of the book was so interesting without it, why has so much stuff that wasn't even in the book been added to the movie?!?
but all that information is gone. Not to mention these are mystery novels, and in the movie the mystery is completely gone since all the Marauder-related information is gone. There's a long list of other things that aggravate me about this movie, but those ones are the only I can't ignore. I would've been able to give the movie a passing grade if they had just added like 5 minutes of extra dialogue in the Shrieking Shack,
This is all that was required (I still would've felt like there was too much missing, but they at least could've put this in):

"We made this map, those are our names, they planted the tree and built the shack because of me, my friends became animagi to be with me during the full moon"

"I escaped and no one knew how because I was an unregistered animagus"

I mean, did they even try?
but they couldn't even do that! They didn't even film the missing information and give it to us later on as deleted scenes!
For some reason everywhere I go on the internet everyone always says it's their favorite of the movies and how brilliant Alfonso Cauron is (and not just those who haven't read the books, either!). I always thought he majorly missed the point of the book. The changes in the movie just seem too much like disloyalty to me, not like necessary changes.
I like this quote: "this director has chosen to emphasize a series of events which gloss over the main emotional threads in the novel."
Am I wrong?!? Really, I want to know.

I completely agree, and there's no use in emphasizing my frustration considering I've stopped watching the movies altogether. They seem to have a way of adding their own flare to it, and dismissing the scrutinizingly important parts of the cannon plot. For one though, the Prisoner of Askaban was the worst movie but the best game.
Last edited by TheGreySpecies on March 7th, 2014, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

hayden_potter

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post March 7th, 2014, 3:46 am

I do like the movie, it does flow well even with the stuff they cut out. Having said that, explaining the Marauders, Lupin's condition and Sirius' escape would have been nice.

What I like better about the movie than the book is that in the movie it is Harry who discovers Pettigrew on the map, whereas in the book, it's Lupin...
<<

darkrain

Muggle
Muggle

Post March 9th, 2014, 12:51 am

Personally, I thought there was too much about Buckbeak in there. That's the reason I'm not really fond of the third book and movie.
<<

3xp3lliarmus

Second Year
Second Year

Post March 9th, 2014, 1:06 pm

I love the third movie!! It's my favourite one.

I am in love with the third book, too.
<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post March 10th, 2014, 12:03 am

Can you tell me why you like the third movie, though, and why the things they cut out don't bother you if you like the book? That was the point of this thread for me.
<<

Evreka

Muggle
Muggle

Post March 10th, 2014, 9:16 pm

Up until HBP came out, POA was my favourite book, now it is on second place. I love it immensely and it was what got me hooked as a HP fan: hook, line and sink, in early 2002. And I'm still a fan, 12 years later...

Generally speaking, I try to watch the movies as stand-alone from the books in the regard of telling the same story (hopefullly) but in a different way. However, while there are things about the third movie that I like, overall - it is my least favourite HP film. The difference between my relative rating of this book and my relative rate of this film is a huge gap, and it comes largely from the differences to the book, although it certainly doesn't help that this is the first movie in which Richard Harris who WAS Albus Dumbledore, in my opinion, got replaced by Michael Gambon, who I do not like at all as Albus. :( Another big reason that I don't like this film as much as the others is that the talking heads annoy me to no end! :evil:

I like the look of Harry (this is the first movie - indeed one of the few - ) in which his hair really is stucking out at all angles, like it should. I like the added scene in the dormitory with the Gryffindor boys having fun together. I like the Whomping Willow and how it is used to divide the seasons, I like how Remus and Sirius look and behave, I LOVE Buckbeak. The Monster Book of Monsters is hilarious! I loved the scenes between Remus and Harry, and I think the Dementors work very well. I love how things turn to winter as they go by, and the ice on the lake. The Patronus is beautifully made. I think they have made a good way of showing how there are several "versions" of Harry and Hermione going around Hagrid's Hut that night, which is quite some accomplishment! :) I really like how it is Hermione's stone from "going back" that make the "original" trio leave the Hut. That's a really nice touch, I think!

The things I like the least are:
The casting of Gambon as Albus :( :( :(
The talking heads - they are annoying in the movie and nightmares in the extra materials, mocking up the interviews :( :( :(
Dan's performance in the sadder moments. When book Harry learns about how his parents were betrayed, I cry with him; in this movie, I see that Harry is sad, but doesn't really care. That scene doesn't work for me at ALL, and it's such an important scene. :( :(
I hate how the trio, as they leave Hagrid, stops halfway up the hill by the stones, and look back towards the Hut. Because they see Buckbeak before he is beheaded, and they see the executioner swing the axe it is thoroughly unbelievable that they wouldn't see: a) Buckbeak being rescued by Harry and Hermione AND b) not being beheaded! :( :( :( It is SUCH a huge plot hole!
I don't like the look of Peter, he looks too much like a rat, I think...

I would have wished for a more faithful discussion in the Shrieking Schack, but it isn't one of my main gripes...

I am sure there are more things I like about the film (possibly also more things I don't like), but this is all I remember off the top of my head.
<<

3xp3lliarmus

Second Year
Second Year

Post March 14th, 2014, 10:54 pm

The Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Can you tell me why you like the third movie, though, and why the things they cut out don't bother you if you like the book? That was the point of this thread for me.

Well, I do like the book more since it says more about the Maruaders. I also like the movie still because of how it actually still states the "Wormtail, Prongs, Moony and Padfoot" thing.
<<

Rosalie James

First Year
First Year

Post March 22nd, 2014, 3:08 am

It may be different then the book which I love but I think it is good in it's own right. I don't really know why I like but there is some great moments in the movie that I loved.
Harry and Ginny 4 life.
<<

littledragon

Muggle
Muggle

Post April 7th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Prisoner of Azkaban is actually my favorite film of the franchise! There are of course things it could have done better. But like Evreka said, I try to watch the movies as stand-alone, and naturally, they're different interpretations. POA is my favorite because of its direction and style- I felt that the look and mood of Hogwarts, Hogsmead, and the characters was so different from the other movies (in a good way). I also love the music! It's so good!

So, even though it doesn't follow the book's plot perfectly, the story that the movie presents is still a really enjoyable one!
<<

PotterMarauder

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post May 3rd, 2014, 4:32 am

I agree. I always disliked the third movie. For a myriad of reasons; but it was just generally not enjoyable. My best friend, however, has also read the entire series, and the third movie is her favorite. I never understood why.
Image Image
<<

PotterBomb

Muggle
Muggle

Post May 3rd, 2014, 6:54 am

Reasons this was probably the most boring Harry Potter (I cant say I hate it)

Cuaron has stated he gave the actors and actresses mor freedom than they had before, the wardrobe hair etc. He wasnt very contolling of there look and the cast has stated that he wanted them to interpret themselves than him tell them. It made it to different when your already using different directors all the time.

The Shreiking Shack coukd have benn drawn out.

The fact that they have to cut so much out for the movies they cut out main plots and cannon in favor of side stories. At this point in the series anyone watching is already vested and while making it more stand alone to someone never seeing the others, it tok to much away.

That being said I as others have said have always taken it as a standalone from the book. Remeber the screenplays are adaptaions, or better said interpritations by someone who is writes movies for a living not an author writing a screenplay.
<<

raclle

Auror
Auror

Post May 11th, 2014, 8:55 pm

How do book fans like any of the movies?
I don't like any of them but my biggest disappointments with this movie were:The very start, under age magic.The knight bus scene and those shrunken heads.Hogwarts different location where is the lake?Dementors can fly?Harry's patronus doesn't take shape.The marauders story.Lupin's werewolf looks awful.Tom the inn keeper suddenly is bald,has a hunchback,and is retarded?Sorry but that was the impression i got from him.Harry in hogsmeade "he was their friend" i mean really?The shrieking shack scene.
I apologize for the rant but it was badly made.
<<

Pretty_Twisted

The REAL Astoria
The REAL Astoria

Post May 12th, 2014, 8:35 am

Well I like the books a lot more but I think the movies are ok, I just sort of separate the two in my mind and let them be stand alone.

I didn't mind the third movie to be honest, it wasn't as well done as I hoped it would be though given it was one of my favourite books in the series and I really didn't like the Lupin werewolf, I was expecting much more with such a high budget film, something much more scary and werewolf-y. He looked too cuddly and way too lanky and skinny.

I also thought Harry performing the Lumos Maxima spell right at the beginning was a bit stupid because of the underage wizard thing, especially since he got a letter about underage wizardry for 'blowing up' Aunt Marge, but not for that.
Thanks to MirkPrince for the siggy
<<

IceSkater

Squib
Squib

Post May 12th, 2014, 12:10 pm

I know they left out a lot of details and backstories but as far as the movies go, I didn't mind PoA. I felt that even though it's nothing compared to the books (the books are always better anyway, IMO), it gets the job done and tells the main story effectively, and even though a lot of things weren't included (as is also the case with the later movies), at least they stuck to the main content of the books. Even though the emphasis in the movie was clearly on different aspects to the book,I think it still worked - just separately from the book.

The 4th-6th movies really annoyed me though. They didn't really go into any detail and kind of just skimmed over everything and moved way too fast. They seemed really rushed to me...
You dare speak his name...? YOU FILTHY HALF-BLOOD!!!
<<

Monox D. I-Fly

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post July 13th, 2017, 1:34 pm

hayden_potter wrote:What I like better about the movie than the book is that in the movie it is Harry who discovers Pettigrew on the map, whereas in the book, it's Lupin...

Ironically, this is what ticks people who read the books from the movie: Movie Harry is a Mary Sue. Movie Harry is too perfect that he can do anything.
The Most Legendary Anti-Hero in Literature History
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post July 15th, 2017, 6:42 am

I like it but I have my reasons.

1) It is hard but try not to compare books with movies. If you do that, all movies are highly frustrating.

2) If you manage to look it only as a movie, it is -in my opinion- the best in HP series.

3) 13 year-old kids are interesting. They are neither kids nor teenagers.

4) Time travel is always interesting

5) Emotional backgrounds were really good in the movies.

Downsides;

1) Obviously book was much better but you can say that for every book adapted movie.

2) Nearly always they wore Muggle clothes. Seriously, why?

3) Backgrounds of Marauders (maybe time was not enough but it was a mistake I think)

All in all, it was a really good movie
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post July 15th, 2017, 11:19 am

I've read about no Quidditch house cup.

Well what happened to the Gryffindor vs Hufflepuff match in Philosopher's Stone? Ron and Neville fighting Draco and his friends.
What about telling Harry they didn't win the Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw match in Philosopher's Stone?

Anyway the Hufflepuff seeker in the third film was an unknown Hufflepuff Seeker who was hit by lightning and no one won.
But when Harry is getting on his Firebolt at the end of the film someone mentions Quidditch Cup.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

AurorMarkonn

First Year
First Year

Post July 19th, 2017, 4:27 pm

I like the film, and the book is probably my favourite. I don't know why, especially as Voldemort doesn't show, but from the first ever read through, I loved it...

One of my main grievances with it, irrespective of the plot they cut out, is how different the landscape is. I haven't watched the films in a while (not because i don't, i just haven't had time), however it really annoyed me, if I remember right, that in CoS the whomping willow was v.close to the school, yet in PoA it's in a different location... I mean, I know there are different directors with different ideas, but it's pretty lame to so dramatically change the landscape.
<<

MarsUltor

Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Post July 19th, 2017, 6:01 pm

As I recall, first two movies' landscape of Hogwarts was wrong. Later, it was revealed in books that Hogwarts grounds are much larger than it was shown in first two movies.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post July 19th, 2017, 7:58 pm

People who like the film and the book do because A) they saw the film first &/or B) they're not very sophisticated viewers &/or C) or iii) or 3) they're just insane/stupid.
<<

Pensieve Seeker

Squib
Squib

Post July 20th, 2017, 4:49 am

Pretty_Twisted wrote:*snip*
I also thought Harry performing the Lumos Maxima spell right at the beginning was a bit stupid because of the underage wizard thing, especially since he got a letter about underage wizardry for 'blowing up' Aunt Marge, but not for that.

Well, imo, that doesn't really count since it took place before the title.

That said, PoA is my second favorite HP movie. I think it did a good job showing Harry's transformation from an angry boy showing no mercy towards someone for drunken slights against his parents to one who shows mercy towards someone who actually had a hand in their death. (Granger, How Harry Cast His Spell)
<<

dryad

la belle dame sans merci
la belle dame sans merci

Post July 20th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Moved to Harry Potter Films: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Return to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban