FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Anyone else feel that Gary Oldman was miscast?

<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post November 14th, 2013, 8:27 am

Re: Anyone else feel that Gary Oldman was miscast?

Sirius in the movies just comes off as a kind, wise, responsible adult. Those aren't bad qualities to have, and in fact there are characters I like precisely because they do have those qualities, but they aren't the ones book Sirius possessed, and aren't what made him a great character. Movie Sirius is majorly lacking uniqueness compared to Book Sirius:

The only point of Sirius in the movies is to act like a father figure, and aside from that there's nothing to the character. Book Sirius cares about Harry, is always there for him, and always has good advice, but he doesn't just stand there spouting lines the director thought would sound fatherly. The soul of the character is gone. Now he's just one dimensional.

The Sirius in the books could be hotheaded and reckless, but Movie Sirius is always calm and composed. Can you imagine Gary Oldman's Sirius losing his temper and pointing a wand at Snape? I sure can't.

The movies' portrayal of him just does no justice to the character as written. His personality is gone. Everything that defined Sirius they avoided telling us either by removing the lines that got the info across, or by having Movie Sirius act so differently that getting the same ideas about him as about Book Sirius just couldn't be done. His personality now is so flat and unremarkable that he has no flaws and no strengths either.

Book Sirius was noble and loyal, he was caring and likable, but rough around the edges, too, and if he wasn't, he wouldn't have been such a fun character.

In the books we saw his bitter side, his sarcastic side, his brooding side, his ticked off side, etc. but in the movies he has no side other than "look at me, I'm a father figure". The thing is that Book Sirius hadn't progressed to the level of (FLOABW) maturity Lupin had, so while Lupin is great, having Sirius act so much like him still isn't the thing to do (or at least not the thing I like to see done).

My other complaint is that in movie 3 he acts like a lunatic, which is inaccurate in the first place, but makes even less sense when compared to how calm and composed he constantly is in the movies after it. We go from screaming madman intent on murder (way too extreme) to this saintly flawless father figure who never so much as raises his voice (way too not extreme enough). They also have him growl at Harry and mock his attempt to kill him, which is just completely out of character. I know the point of having him do these things is so that we won't know the truth about him and we assume he is as bad as everyone says, but once we do find out the truth, these actions of his make no sense for him to do based on who he truly is.

Gary Oldman is a good actor, though...I'm not sure how much of how different he came out was the director's choice and how much was the actor's.
Last edited by The Prisoner of Azkaban on March 13th, 2015, 9:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
<<

Samovila

Annamal
Annamal

Post November 15th, 2013, 7:44 pm

I thought Gary Oldman made a great Sirius Black, but I did feel that David Thewlis was miscast as Remus Lupin. Don't get me wrong, I think Thewlis is a very good actor, but his appearance and voice don't match my idea of this character.
True Blue Ravenclaw
Pottermore Fan Forum Name: Samovila-FireBird
<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post December 20th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Samovila wrote:I thought Gary Oldman made a great Sirius Black, but I did feel that David Thewlis was miscast as Remus Lupin. Don't get me wrong, I think Thewlis is a very good actor, but his appearance and voice don't match my idea of this character.

Weird, because his voice and the way he acted were nearly the exact way I pictured them, and even though he looked different I thought his appearance represented Lupin well. Lupin was the only thing I liked about movie 3.
Update: I just saw movie 3 again, and Lupin didn't remind me nearly as much of himself in the book as he did the first time. I still think he's more faithfully portrayed than Sirius, though.
Last edited by The Prisoner of Azkaban on March 26th, 2014, 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Nocturne

Muggle
Muggle

Post December 23rd, 2013, 12:17 am

Well, everybody imagines the characters in a different way, and so some agree with the interpretation of the actor (and of course, the director). Some others don't, because they focus on different parts of the character. Just think about how different the two Dumbledores are. Richard Harris focused on the "old, wise Merlin-type wizard" while Gambon chose the "powerful, bit comical/queer wizard"one. And I'm quite happy Ian McKellen was not cast as Dumbledore, because there is simply no way he would have found a way to play Dumbledore not exactly as he plays Gandalf. And even though it is obvious that Dumbledore is highly influenced by Gandalf, that would simply be very annoying and confusing
Spoiler: show
I love Cinemasins for their interpretation of Dumbledore being "Gandalf the Gay" and Gandalf being "Straight Dumbledore" at their honest movie trailers

If there is any miscast in Harry Potter, then it is Daniel Radcliffe. Not only has he neither the hair nor the eye colour of Harry Potter (and the last one is kind of a big deal) but he is basically the worst actor in a leading role since Arnold Schwarzenegger in Conan the Barbarian. I mean it really isn't the fault of the casting crew, because at the age he was casted, everyone is a bad actor (just look at Emma Watson, Rupert Grint and Tom Felton : Ridiculous in movie 1&2 but ranging from really good to brilliant in the later ones), but really? You managed to cast like 5 or 6 convincing child actors and THE ONE PERSON you should have cast with the greatest caution, you casted HORRIBLY wrong. Tom Felton signed up for the role. Should have given it to him.
<<

DarkSage

Muggle
Muggle

Post January 4th, 2014, 12:07 pm

He was pretty good. He was very fatherly towards Harry.
<<

user224

First Year
First Year

Post February 10th, 2014, 6:00 pm

*sigh* Its not Daniels fault about his eye colour, Daniel tried to wear green contact lenses but he was allergic to them. I have no idea why he didn't have a black wig or dye his hair it doesn't matter.

Gary Oldman didn't really look like Sirius.
<<

The Prisoner of Azkaban

First Year
First Year

Post February 11th, 2014, 1:41 pm

user224 wrote:Gary Oldman didn't really look like Sirius.

I feel the same way. I just can't put Gary Oldman's face on Sirius and believe it's the same character, even without the whiskers and incorrect hair color.
<<

Patronus Shield

Muggle
Muggle

Post March 4th, 2014, 3:49 am

I feel as some friends had already posted, as he may have lost part of the essence of the book character, but that's to blame in the fact of Sirius role being lesser compared to the character in the books. About Michael Gambon, I hadn`t known the actor before, and i `ve felt worried about Richard Harris passing. And... I was pleased and surprised. Gambon was" more Dumbledore than Harris", if that can be said.
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post September 30th, 2014, 7:26 am

In a remake that first year Sirius from the last movie could play him.
He has the right hair too.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

Pineapple

First Year
First Year

Post October 8th, 2014, 2:21 pm

I felt that he was too old. I think the role should have gone to someone that looked a little bit more flamboyant. I felt that he was too non-scary for the first part of the film where they were trying to capture a foreboding mood.
<<

raclle

Auror
Auror

Post October 8th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Pineapple wrote:I felt that he was too old. I think the role should have gone to someone that looked a little bit more flamboyant. I felt that he was too non-scary for the first part of the film where they were trying to capture a foreboding mood.

Agreed. Gary Oldman is a brilliant actor but he is not Sirius.
<<

Thornunicorn

Night Wonder

Post October 9th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Brilliant actor. I think he was good for Sirius.
“Two hundred Romans, and no one’s got a pen? Never mind!” -Mars, the god of war
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post October 15th, 2014, 7:02 pm

I thought both he and DT's Lupin were way too old. Then again so was Alan Rickman for Snape. The filmmakers added a good 15 years to the Mauruder's generation.
<<

Bucko

The Marauder
The Marauder

Post January 13th, 2015, 4:12 am

Gary Oldman is good in everything I've seen him in. He was a good Sirius. But I do think he was miscast. I think he would have portrayed Remus Lupin better. The character's personality I feel fits right into Oldman's wheelhouse. If you've seen the movie Gangster #1, you may agree with me that David Thewlis could have played an equally good Sirius Black, but I wouldn't have felt the look was right for Thewlis. I am not generally a huge fan of him, but Christian Bale could have nailed the role of Sirius Black. But I would have also like Robert Carlyle in any Harry Potter role.
>>>Image<<<
>>>>>>>>... the artist formerly known as APWBD1881.<<<<<<<<
<<

SecretaryofMagic

Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Post February 26th, 2015, 2:35 am

I didn't feel he was miscast, but was nothing like book Sirius either.

He was the best in OoTP. You really saw how fondly Harry thought of him. The "get away from my godson" before clocking Lucius was great too!

But yeah, the brooding, dark, slightly immature reckless cannon side of Sirius isn't there..
<<

Assassin

ANBU
ANBU

Post April 1st, 2015, 6:58 am

SecretaryofMagic wrote:I didn't feel he was miscast, but was nothing like book Sirius either.

He was the best in OoTP. You really saw how fondly Harry thought of him. The "get away from my godson" before clocking Lucius was great too!

But yeah, the brooding, dark, slightly immature reckless cannon side of Sirius isn't there..
+1
<<

blueshadow

Muggle
Muggle

Post October 25th, 2015, 10:25 pm

I think Gary Oldman did a good job, I liked him as Sirius. BUT all of the marauders, as well as Lily and Snape, should have been portrayed by younger actors to be true to the books. (Not that anyone would have made a better Snape than Alan Rickman.) As they were all aged, I'm fine with it.
<<

johnny19818

Muggle
Muggle

Post November 8th, 2015, 8:31 am

Are you serious? :). Yesterday, I was thinking how suitable Gary Oldman was for that role. After incarnating Dracula, Sirius Black was another good role for him.
<<

Khaleesi

Order of the Phoenix
Order of the Phoenix

Post November 8th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Beren wrote:
SecretaryofMagic wrote:But yeah, the brooding, dark, slightly immature reckless cannon side of Sirius isn't there..

+2
But I agree, I loved Gary Oldman as Sirius and I liked the way he portrayed him, there's just a piece of Sirius's character that was missing.
But literally, everything was missing from the movies so this isn't too big of a deal.

<<

harryfan95

First Year
First Year

Post May 6th, 2016, 11:22 pm

Sirius in the movie looked different from how I imagined him to look. In my imagination, he actually looked kind of like Snape, only with a longer chin and with some stubble. He also had more of a "tough" look than Snape, if you know what I mean. Also, I think the book described his voice as "raspy," because I imagined him with a voice like the Christian Bale Batman.

I do think that Gary Oldman did a very good job playing Sirius though. It was actually a pretty clever idea to cast him in that role, because he usually played bad guys in movies. So viewers who hadn't read the book would totally believe he was the bad guy until the end because he was played by him. Clever, clever, clever.

I honestly don't have a problem with his portrayal.
"HARRY! DID YA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET A FIYA?" he asked calmly.
Previous

Return to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban