FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

I finally saw this film in its entirety!

<<

harryfan95

First Year
First Year

Post May 6th, 2016, 11:37 pm

I finally saw this film in its entirety!

I set the DVR to record this movie last Tuesday, and sat down and watched it today. It was really good!

I know that after the second film, the movies started deviating more from the books, but I actually thought that the people who made this movie did a pretty good job (though I'm probably biased because it's directed by the guy who directed "A Little Princess," one of my favorite movies). Most of the changes actually worked better for the movie. What works in a book doesn't nessisarily work for a movie, and most of the changes for this movie were more cinematic.

For instance, Harry receiving his new broomstick mysteriously at Christmas worked better for the book, and him receiving it at the end worked better for the movie.

I also liked the use of clocks in this movie, as this movie was including time travel in it. I thought Gary Oldman did very good as Sirius, and the guy who played Lupin, although I didn't think it was good casting at first, actually grew on me, and he did a good job too.

That's not to say the movie is without its flaws:

1. Where's the consistency with the previous movies? Hagrid's house wasn't at the bottom of a hill in the previous movies. And the whomping willow was in the wrong spot.

2. I just going to say it; Micheal Gambon is no Richard Harris.

3. It was never explained why Lupin knew about the map, or why Sirius went to the Shrieking Shack. I wish they had at least had ONE line that explained all this. However, I have a rule that elements from source material that don't make it into an adaptation still happen in the adaptation's continuity unless they are made impossible to happen (and it doesn't work the other way around, so don't get sneaky), so at least I have the book's explanation for that.

Other than that, it was a great adaptation. The book is better, of course, but the movie was very good.
"HARRY! DID YA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET A FIYA?" he asked calmly.
<<

The Fifth Marauder

Auror
Auror

Post May 12th, 2016, 11:03 am

Re: I finally saw this film in its entirety!

It's probably my least favourite movie out of the collection, tbh.

The bit about him receiving the Firebolt at the end, it felt like a last-minute decision in the movie, something they hastily added in after they released they'd forgotten it. It's quite a major part of the book, and I was gutted they left all the Quidditch stuff (apart from the Hufflepuff game) out, as the chapters in the book where it was Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw and then the decider against Slytherin were some of my favourite ones in the entire series. It also further highlighted the danger to Harry in the book (thinking it was from Sirius) and further drove a wedge between Harry/Ron and Hermoine after she had in confiscated. Did they even cover the fall-out between them in the film? I can't remember.
So yeah, I wasn't happy they left all that out.

The casting of Sirius and Lupin I wasn't a fan of at first, however like they did with you, they grew on me. I think people expected Sirius to be more attractive, but he'd been in Azkaban for so long and then spent a year on the run. It worked, imo.

Agree with your 3 points at the bottom.

There's flaws in every movie obviously and they were always going to struggle to adapt the books perfectly. Maybe this film struggles because it's the first one after the death of Richard Harris and with the changes to Hogwarts, i'm not sure.
<<

The Byrd

Squib
Squib

Post November 26th, 2016, 11:22 pm

Just a thought that I want to mention since you mentioned the motif of time. I noticed the other day while watching it, how prevalent light is in the movie. By and large, whenever we see light, there is something significant happening. Be it the flashing lights in the kitchen when Harry blows Marge up, or the light of patronus charm, it's always something that progresses the story.
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 3rd, 2017, 11:17 pm

The Byrd wrote:Just a thought that I want to mention since you mentioned the motif of time. I noticed the other day while watching it, how prevalent light is in the movie. By and large, whenever we see light, there is something significant happening. Be it the flashing lights in the kitchen when Harry blows Marge up, or the light of patronus charm, it's always something that progresses the story.

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
(he/she/they)
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 16th, 2017, 6:55 am

Ill never understand why they took some stuff out of the movie and added other shit that wasnt in the books. Like the stupid bits with the rocks and stuff.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.

Return to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban