FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Why is this one of the least popular HP books?

<<

LifeOfRiley

Second Year
Second Year

Post September 22nd, 2015, 7:57 pm

Why is this one of the least popular HP books?

If you can't tell by the number of people posting here, your own retrospective thoughts, and general consensus, the second book in the series seems to be one of the lest popular of the bunch. It's not bad or anything, but seems to fall flat for a lot of people. Why? It has all the ingredients to be a success. It's Harry's first true return to a world we loved so much, and yet it always seems to be at the bottom of the barrel. Any thoughts on why this is?

-- September 24th, 2015, 9:37 am --

Personally, I tend to think that the reasoning is based in the fact that the book's main plot is a bit confusing and weak until you get later on in the books. Towards the end, the CoS ends up having tremendous weight in the lore. I really liked how mysterious everything is, and how it had an eerie feel, giving us end-story content in the second book. But I think that is a major reason for it's lack of attention. Any other ideas?

Gryffindor PRIDE!!!

Official Potterhead since March 25th 2015 at 3:46 PM
<<

Loyaltiger

Muggle
Muggle

Post October 20th, 2015, 11:12 am

Re: Why is this one of the least popular HP books?

Funny, to me the second book was never the weakest of the bunch. It had everything I liked, Lucius Malfoy, a look into the Slytherin Common room, Tom Riddle etc. I do agree that it was a bit confusing at times but there are so many elements that I liked that I never considered it weak.
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post October 20th, 2015, 11:40 pm

I think it gets a bad rap because it's a bit darker and deals a lot more with the history of Voldy like the later books but it's too soon in the series to be that dark and still to geared to children to get respect. It also makes the Hogwarts teachers and magical adults in general look pretty poor, but I have no idea if that effects how people view the book.
<<

eimeara

Muggle
Muggle

Post December 28th, 2015, 2:57 pm

To be honest, and since this is in the films forum, CoS is my favorite movie, and book but I'll get to that in a minute. It's my favorite movie because it's the one movie that stays the MOST accurate to the book. PoA is to some their favorite, but to me it's my least favorite movie because it is the film that is the LEAST like the book, seriously, pretty much everything in the film adaption of PoA is different from the books.

CoS is my favorite book, because it is the book where Harry truly starts to think he belongs at Hogwarts, and in Gryffindor. In PS, it's a cute little story of a boy who is introduced to a magical world but that boy still does not feel truly at home quite yet. It is in the CoS that that boy begins to think I AM A GRYFFINDOR. I AM A WIZARD. I do belong here. It's not just because this book is so important to later books, but it's because Harry finally becomes a true Potter in this book.
<<

kingirl89

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post August 13th, 2016, 4:26 pm

Nah the least popular book now seems to be Cursed Child, because everyone knew what would happen when Albus and Rose got on the train and the rest. I will also include the script book of Fantastic Beasts movie.
Facebook
Harry Potter
Book Series
People also like Twilight, Harry Potter (film series) and other books.
<<

FrenchLovegood

First Year
First Year

Post August 14th, 2016, 10:16 am

kingirl89 wrote:Nah the least popular book now seems to be Cursed Child, because everyone knew what would happen when Albus and Rose got on the train and the rest. I will also include the script book of Fantastic Beasts movie.

I don't think that Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts must be considered to "HP books/movies". They are some "HP's extended universe's fictions approved by JKR", but they aren't a book and a movie of the original series.
I'm French and I wish to improve my English level, don't hesitate to correct my mistakes! Peace on you and long life to the Lovegood Army! :yingyang:
<<

The Byrd

Squib
Squib

Post November 26th, 2016, 10:49 pm

I really love the Chamber of Secrets. I don't - and never have - found it difficult to understand. I love the darkness with Riddle, but there's also the brighter, more juvenile side to it with the car ride.
<<

FrenchLovegood

First Year
First Year

Post November 26th, 2016, 11:49 pm

The Byrd wrote:I really love the Chamber of Secrets. I don't - and never have - found it difficult to understand. I love the darkness with Riddle, but there's also the brighter, more juvenile side to it with the car ride.

I approve. I remember that I had seven years old when I read this book, and I loved it. Very enjoyable to read, it was mostly one of my first literar chills :roll:
I'm French and I wish to improve my English level, don't hesitate to correct my mistakes! Peace on you and long life to the Lovegood Army! :yingyang:
<<

Grrarrggh

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post February 2nd, 2017, 3:13 am

FrenchLovegood wrote:
The Byrd wrote:I really love the Chamber of Secrets. I don't - and never have - found it difficult to understand. I love the darkness with Riddle, but there's also the brighter, more juvenile side to it with the car ride.

I approve. I remember that I had seven years old when I read this book, and I loved it. Very enjoyable to read, it was mostly one of my first literar chills :roll:

Should have said:
I remember that I WAS seven years old when I read this book. :D
<<

GellertGPhoenix

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post March 27th, 2017, 2:09 am

Personally it's one of my favorites.
(he/she/they)
<<

GinChaser

Hogwarts Graduate
Hogwarts Graduate

Post April 19th, 2017, 3:29 pm

I like this one, but I think that one of the reasons its thought to be not as good is because the ending kmis a bit of a let down. It spins this tail as a thrilling whodunnit, but it turns out ots Voldemorts soul/memory....and you dont figure out the significance of that until later.

Wand: 12 1/2 " / Hazel/ Dragon Heartstring/ Surprisingly Swishy

Patronus: Horse(Dun in colouring)

Thanks dryad, you fantastic fish, you.

Return to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets